Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Aliens is extremely good, yes. Scared the absolute gently caress out of me as a kid.

VikingSkull posted:

I like the first Mad Max the best, too

I couldn't possibly agree more with this. It just has such a ridiculously good atmosphere and cast and props and setting and it's just amazing. Everything about it.

I mean, Road Warrior is a great movie too, but the original wins hands down to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ElectricSheep posted:

This is reaching a bit back but worth mentioning:

Most horror stuff generally doesn't faze me and I'm the type to geek out at haunted houses for their design and costuming, so much so that the actors usually leave me alone because I have a big dumb grin on my face the whole time.

Alien: Isolation gave me nightmares for a week. It was great.

man I really need to play Isolation. gently caress it I'm telling Steam to pull it down, let's do this

Dead Space hosed me up, something about the tension, pacing, atmosphere... I dunno, it kinda felt like it could've been a spiritual Alien game. I could only play like a half hour at a time lol

e. it helped that I was playing it on my projector, with all the lights off, and my surround sound cranked

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Julius CSAR posted:

Isolation is waaaay different than dead space. It is in fact, scary as all hell

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm pretty sturdy on scary stuff but isolation is almost too intense to even exist

I'm not very far in yet getting power turned on in the room full of body bags and it's unnerving already

also The UI / presentation of this game is so incredibly on point, and it's reeeeally pretty, mostly I play retro games or older games so it's nice to see something that's pushing my system

it said to play on hard for the right experience, was that a mistake

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CelticPredator posted:

It also picks up the sound on your mic if you’re using that. So you can actually call the alien to your location by saying whatever you want or farting

that owns

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My guess is that they could just drop a few xenomorphs off into wherever the enemy is and let 'em go to town.

yeah that's always been my thought about how to effectively use them as a weapon

or like, if the target is a space station, just send over a transport / cargo ship full of them or something

you'd need a way to kill them or pacify them when you're done though, if you wanted to actually get anything out of the place when they were done, but let's not let that little detail stop us

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yeah either two things imo. Go in and sweep up, killing all of the xenomorphs. Or maybe they get them so well trained that they can recover them. Knowing Weyland-Yutani.... they'd just kill them all.

Yeeeep. I was thinking, find some way to breed them with some kind of vulnerability to... something, like gas maybe, so you could just fumigate 'em.

Though saying that, I think an even better idea would to breed them with defects that would cause super short life spans after maturity. I mean, they don't really need to live long, and if the first wave dies before the target is neutralized, send another and another. If they have a biological timebomb in them, the problem fixes itself over time.

(until it doesn't work right, and we end up sending a plucky crew of badass warriors in to kill the mutated immortal alien)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
welp just had my first death in Isolation waited a bit too long in the transit car looking around. That scared the poo poo out of me and this owns

I was like why is the music getting all tense? Is there going to be something scary in the transit car? It got there and nope, empty, so I think oh lol the game was faking me out, I'll just look at the magazines wait what is that souOH gently caress OH GOD

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Okay so I didn't make it much farther in Isolation looking for the chip to fix the door hacker-thingy but I have some questions about mechanics of the game:

Tell me how the scavengers work. Do they just roam freely? I ended up hopping the transit car to the reactor looking for the chip, searched around the reactor area for a while, and came back to find a group of scavengers in the transit area preventing me from going back to where I was before (essentially trapping me in the reactor area). I tried to figure a way around them, couldn't, doubled back to the reactor thinking there may've been a hatch or something I missed, didn't find one, and came back to find the scavengers had moved to another room, unfortunately closer to me, so I couldn't get back to the transit area at all. All I have right now is the wrench thing still, no way to shoot them, and no apparent way to have sneaked around them - is it possible to just hide and wait for them to leave? Given enough time, will they on their own?

I was also thinking about my encounter last night and it owns in retrospect. I was doing a dumb video game thing just idly looking around the environment and dragging my rear end despite something really loving bad happening which should've made me panic and run away and I got killed for it. I love it

also there is no fuckin way I will ever play this game in VR lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That's loving awesome god drat I love and miss practical effects

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Speaking (kinda) of visuals, I was thinkin' today about aesthetics and technology in movies and their sequels, specifically sci-fi movies.

One of the things that stood out to me in Blade Runner 2049 is how they kept the same "style" to the technology as the original film. No attempt was made to retcon what 2018 people think 2049 tech will look like, they kept on the same trajectory as the original. CRT screens, clunky/awkward looking hardware, whatever. I loved this poo poo, I went kind of nuts for it and my wife probably thought it was being dumb, but I love that kind of internal consistency and real dedication to detail and to the universe that's being extended.

I feel the same way about Isolation, with its CRT screens, low-res text interfaces, etc. I can't imagine how much more work went into building that aesthetic for the ships' systems' UI than if they'd just made clean, "modern" digital interfaces without the interference or other signature stuff from the movies. I love that they went as far as to extend it into the game UI itself, even. The second the super low-res 20th Century Fox logo came up the first time, I just grinned. Same with the loading screens with the "looks like a recording of an 80s CRT TV" imagery. It just all fits so loving well and really does a lot to make me think "I am experiencing a story in the Alien universe".

I also suck tremendously at this game and I'm turning the difficulty down. I am too conditioned to play first person games with a "kill everything that wants me dead" attitude, and it suuuure isn't working now! still stuck where I was. After trying a few times to distract the people and move around them, and getting shot by stragglers who didn't take the bait, I looked up a spoiler-less guide to dealing with the lobby. It said to move upstairs immediately after getting the Access Tuner and go counter-clockwise around the upper area until they wander off... which kind of worked, except one hung back. I thought, okay cool, I have a wrench / hammer, he has a soft skull, no biggie. I whacked him when he came around a corner, and his buddies immediately went into high alert and ventilated me, lmao. It also didn't let me pick up his pistol, which was laying right next to his body, which I thought was dumb, kinda. Even if it's not a run and gun shooter, having a gun would be kinda advantageous I think. A "hold up" mechanic or "scare people off" mechanic would be neat, or just firing it off to attract the resident people eater to do my dirty work

I like that this game is really definitely not an FPS game. I also like how I can restart missions!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Beet Wagon posted:

This isn’t much of a spoiler but for what it’s worth you’re literally about to pick up a pistol you will end up never using cause using it is way worse than not using it

Ha, good to know. Yeah, as soon as I got mad that I couldn't do it, I was like "but, yeah, maybe I don't really want to..."

This was a huge thing that bothered me with Prometheus and Covenant. Visually, it looks like they have more advanced technology that in all of the other movies. I mean, come on we're on a timeline here. It would have made it much more gritty and less clean if they used CRT and other older poo poo. Make the movie what it is. A prequel. Back in time. Before the other movies were made with their advanced technology. Ugh.

Yes! Exactly! Pay attention to the world you are making a prequel or sequel of, and put the loving effort into doing it right. It means so much when it's done right, and when it isn't, it just cheapens the entire thing, and makes the movie / game look like a shallow, rushed cash-in attempt.

I still haven't seen Prometheus, and I doubt I ever will based on what I've heard about it. I had super high hopes when I heard about it, because I love expansion of the Alien universe (I had so many of the comics growing up), but... meh. :smith: Same for Covenant. Just... ehhhh.

e.

Julius CSAR posted:

They actually hired the guy who did all the industrial design work on the original film to do the same for Isolation with a very specific order to keep the tech looking similar. If you're having trouble following the waypoint marker on the motion tracker, just look up and read all the signs around you, they are actually designed to be followed.

Ha, that owns. And it shows. This is how you do a continuation of a universe right, you bring in the people who built the stuff in the first place.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jst0rm posted:

cool. Yeah alien 3 has grown on me over the years. The biggest problem with this thing is stuff like the alien pepsi commercial. Like you know the thing is in bad hands when they let that happen. And the people who let that happen probably hacked up finchers original vision.

I would like to see Fincher's original vision of the Pepsi commercial

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fcc compliant bob posted:

Easily makes my top 10 (ish) movies list. James Cameron being the sequel master. I still wonder what he has in store for the next 3 Avatar sequels.

Alien vs Avatar when

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
oh man seeing the alien toys again :allears:

I had the bigass EVAC ship too and the power loader gently caress those toys were so good

that new scorpion alien owns

e. and old version Apone's grenade things were this weird rubbery material lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xenomrph posted:

I posted this offer in the Alien thread in CineD, and I figure I’ll extend it here.

‘Aliens: Labyrinth’ is the best Aliens comic and deserves to be a movie, and more people should read it. There’s a seller on eBay selling bulk lots of the trade paperback for stupid cheap, and I’m up for buying the lots and distributing them to interested goons for basically the price of shipping + whatever tip you feel is appropriate (I will not be offended if the tip is $0). It looks like I can get 9 copies from one lot, and another 10 more if there’s interest.

I just don’t want to buy a bunch of copies if only 2 people are interested. :v:

Post in the thread and/or shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

Totally down for this!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Adhemar posted:

They also had to do it for the chess gag; “queen takes bishop”.

lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Linux Pirate posted:

Sent mine last night. You rule Xenomrph

Hell yeah, same. This is cool and you're doing the lord's Weyland-Yutani's work!

Vim Fuego posted:

Done!

What does the thread think Aliens taste like? Crab/lobster? Burned tires?

Well, hmm. Perhaps extremely citrus, from how acidic their blood is? :v:

They look like they're all shell, tendons and weird poo poo / guts. Maybe a decent broth from boiling the shell?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Leon Einstein posted:

The new Blade Runner is amazing. A worthy sequel imo.

The original is like sacred poo poo to me so I headed into the new one ready to have my heart broken, but, uh, yeah it's really loving good

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I;m thinking about thos Aliens.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Shoot, forgot to mention, I got my comic too! Thank you, Xenomrph, I can't wait to be disgusted and horrified!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I;m still thinking about thos aliens

CBN_Shaggy posted:

EDIT: I loving love thinking about them Aliens.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MarcusSA posted:

Which director would we like to see take on the franchise?

Jodorowsky :v:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sid Vicious posted:

I made this a set of pictures of my daughter being spooky and scary and it fits the thread

lol you're a good dad sid :allears:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I feel like that's both the correct take and an unanswerable question, duder. We live in the sad times of cash-outs and unlimited cheap CGI.

This is entirely true, which is why I am still shocked Blade Runner 2049 turned out as incredible as it did.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Djeser posted:

I'll check it out, since I apparently had some free Kindle credit and I needed to learn how to put Kindle books on my Nook anyway.

Slight derail: Dunno about the Nook, but for ebook conversion / management for my Kindle I love Calibre. There's even a plugin for stripping DRM off of various formats (I use it for loading Google Play Books I've purchased onto it).

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

etalian posted:

looks like they made a Aliens anime lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU08-wEBouo

Ha! I watched this like a month ago and kept meaning to post about it and entirely forgot, so thank you

It's funny because I heard about it from someone talking about super violent and gory anime, but... eh. It had a few moments, but I've seen far worse. I liked the plot though, and the soundtrack is good!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Android Apocalypse posted:

Aliens is on Viceland right now.

It's still good.

My wife and I were watching TV earlier, I noticed this, and she flipped right past it.

does anyone know a good divorce lawyer

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Lmao I am sincerely mad at myself I didn't think of this

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I always thought it was a reference to Guns n Roses.

lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yeah this. It's a great game, and I bought it when it looked like 3DR and Voidpoint were going to remove the garbage that made it in, and when they flipped and sold out to the precious delicate manchildren, it was too late for a refund.

Definitely :filez: it though, again it's a lot of fun and a really solid game. The developers / 3D Realms just don't deserve a dime for it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I'm throwing in my vote for Sarah Connor.

I'm sorry Vasquez.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
It warms my heart to know they put so much detail into Mad About You figures :allears:

off to try to find the limited edition Power Armor Helen Hunt on ebay

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fister Roboto posted:

From the meme thread:

lmao

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I love that we're having this discussion on The Sex Number page

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Z01xBot0E

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Xenomrph posted:

I just got this in the mail and holy loving poo poo is it good. It’s WAY more comprehensive than I expected it to be.

Alien: The Blueprints https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785654950/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UlSIDbNC9M23Z

that's cool as hell, onto the wishlist it goes!

e. Also was browsing Etsy the other day and found these, which are amazing and I'm thinking about buying them to put on everything I own: https://www.etsy.com/listing/735386257/alien-weyland-yutani-asset-tag-sticker?ref=hp_rv-5&frs=1

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tumble posted:

Super-rare behind-the-scenes pictures of costume trials for the original 'Alien'

oh my god that owns

adult size pattern pls

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Drunken Baker posted:

Thinking too hard about alien cum, I know. But if this isn't the thread for it, then what is?

new title please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'd like to thank this thread for making me spend entirely too long today thinking about boiling a xenomorph like a lobster, cracking it open and dining on the sweet tender filling dying in an agonizing way because I didn't soak it in baking soda and water for 24 hours to neutralize the acid blood