Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
What sucks is that this is a really solid performance. but for the subject matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pwn posted:

These loving lyrics

My eyes can’t possibly roll any further back, and yet here they go

Thanks for being whoi you are, by the way, poo poo is nuts

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
So how much does the Jackson estate get for changing the lyrics to black or white?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Kammat posted:

Timing feels really off this week. Is there going to be a second performance?

pwn posted:

It is being squeezed a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if the last segment is a band shot
nope, a memoriam card :(

Zeluth posted:

Thanks for being whoi you are, by the way, poo poo is nuts
aww, i like you too

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The American Dream posted:

So how much does the Jackson estate get for changing the lyrics to black or white?

I want a black person to ride a swim swammer with me. *First Look*! ( I get to live the good life_

pwn
May 27, 2004

Well, after an uncharacteristically smooth night at the hands of the virtuoso running Master Control at my station, the streak ended. Because, to be fair, there were probably a LOT of stations who got messed up by the timing of the last internal break. I’ll upload the clip in an hour or so. Suffice to say, it was a surreal end to the night

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

pwn posted:

What sucks is that this is a really solid performance. but for the subject matter

Why are your standards so low?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That must have been a big screwup on time, i wonder what the :55 skit that we missed was.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I forgot how much I missed "What's That Name."

First name: $5

Next round: $250,000

Perfect!

Also nice to see Reese Da'WHAT get another chance to shine.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Cyril Sneer posted:

God this music blows donkey dick

Musical guests the past few years have been so very bad. To me it's often flavor of the month hip hop acts or mom-rock or this country poo poo.

Do hosts have any say on what bands perform? Could Mulaney actually like this?

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn posted:

Well, after an uncharacteristically smooth night at the hands of the virtuoso running Master Control at my station, the streak ended. Because, to be fair, there were probably a LOT of stations who got messed up by the timing of the last internal break. I’ll upload the clip in an hour or so. Suffice to say, it was a surreal end to the night
Here we go

https://vimeo.com/321026639
https://vimeo.com/321026639

SNL made the last "act" (an in memoriam card) so short that it confused the local station operator (and likely many others as well.) So they were 60 seconds late in rolling the last internal local break. As the break is only 75 seconds in length, they had missed most of the window already, so that break covered whatever little there was for goodnights, the 5 second network promo, and the 35 second terminal break. It was cut off when the next program began.

After a full minute, the operator should have just cut their losses and let the show finish, rather than clumsily try to run the break so late. They have to write it up in the discrepancy report anyway, and those ads will be made-up at a later date.

Anyway that was a fun show. Nights like tonight remind me why I keep watching SNL

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Millions of Crows posted:

Musical guests the past few years have been so very bad. To me it's often flavor of the month hip hop acts or mom-rock or this country poo poo.

As I understand it, hosts generally don't have any say on the musical guest unless they really plead a great case; it essentially depends on who will be in the area of New York on their concert circuit on the date of the show.

It also doesn't help that the acoustics in Studio 8H are terrible and not at all conducive to musical performances.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Millions of Crows posted:

We did have Paul Simon earlier this season who was (of course) very good, but he probably has a standing offer from Lorne to play SNL whenever he wants. I don't think the hosts have any say at all, even former cast members and writers like Mulaney. At least not since the John Belushi Fear fiasco which despite being the second-best live performance in SNL history resulted in $20k damage to the set.

The best SNL live performance will forever be Gloria by Patti Smith btw

edit: found better video of Patti

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 3, 2019

pwn
May 27, 2004

I’m 80% sure that Bill Murray insisted on Lucinda Williams when he hosted in ‘99, and 100% sure that Dan Ackroyd insisted on The Tragically Hip when he kinda-unofficially-co-hosted with John Goodman in ‘95.

But those are OG alumni perks, I’d imagine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Youth Decay posted:

The best SNL live performance will forever be Gloria by Patti Smith btw

What the everloving gently caress is going on with the camera work there, or is it just some bizarre cropping changes to avoid a takedown? Holy poo poo, I got a headache after like 20 seconds.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

pwn posted:

I’m 80% sure that Bill Murray insisted on Lucinda Williams when he hosted in ‘99, and 100% sure that Dan Ackroyd insisted on The Tragically Hip when he kinda-unofficially-co-hosted with John Goodman in ‘95.

But those are OG alumni perks, I’d imagine.

Yeah if you have those SNL ties and sufficient fame you can probably dictate who the musical guest is, provided you can get them to play and they aren't completely obscure. I figure most of the times your Bill Murrays and whatnot can arrange for a high-profile music guest so it's kind of a win-win.

I figure even the super famous people and musicians who have hosted are used to operating within the machine of a given show and not trying to impose their will on it. There's got to be a few jerks who have been real jerks about it and tried to get their way, thrown a fit about it, etc. in the show's history though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Timby posted:

What the everloving gently caress is going on with the camera work there, or is it just some bizarre cropping changes to avoid a takedown? Holy poo poo, I got a headache after like 20 seconds.

Yeah tons of snl music on YouTube has fuckery like that to avoid the takedown. Makes them near unwatchable.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Timby posted:

Yep it's cropped to avoid a copyright claim. The original version used to be on Youtube years ago but was taken down so that's the only one I could find there.

But then I remembered that Vimeo exists. https://vimeo.com/67301422

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh, I forgot, Walter Matthau didn’t want none of that jingly-jangly rocker roll music, so he had Garrett Morris sing a straight Opera.

Timby posted:

It’s to avoid auto content-matching, but honestly it’s a rather refreshing new take on something I’ve seen so often before. God bless Davey Wilson, but with wild guests like Smith, his competent-but-staid blocking just seems anemic. In the 70s, there may have been some technical limitations, I get that such directing is borne of necessity. But when he came back in ‘89 and continued doing things The Old Davey Wilson Way throughout grunge and the rest of the first half of the 90s, well, it definitely seemed a bit aged.

I’m gonna geek out about SNL directors here for a moment longer. I may never know why Wilson was absent for three seasons (1986 – 1988,) but I do know that Paul Miller, the guy who replaced him, definitely provided a hit of juice, which the show badly needed at that point. Whoever’s decision it was to start featuring the house band in 1986 (probably Lorne’s,) Miller got some of the greatest and most dynamic band shots, really utilizing that big home base stage. When Wilson returned in ‘89, the shots continued, but they lost some of the jazz, and the band was no longer featured during the goodnights. Beth McCarthy took over in 1995, and band shots receded into the background over the next few years. Again, likely not the director’s sole decision; the director takes cues from Lorne, and Lorne has suits breathing down his neck about what he puts on their network (Don Ohlmeyer — the same Don Ohlmeyer who fired Norm MacDonald — reportedly didn’t care for G.E. Smith, either, and was the one who fired him in ‘95.)

Uh, anyway, here’s the vanilla version of “Gloria”

https://vimeo.com/67301422
https://vimeo.com/67301422

Edit: beaten!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pwn posted:

and Lorne has suits breathing down his neck about what he puts on their network (Don Ohlmeyer — the same Don Ohlmeyer who fired Norm MacDonald — reportedly didn’t care for G.E. Smith, either, and was the one who fired him in ‘95.)

I strongly doubt Lorne has suits breathing down his neck anymore, considering he basically owns NBC's weeknight late-night block, SNL and and like a half-dozen sitcoms due to air on the network. He's got them by the balls, and he knows it. It's all a matter of which band can realistically make the trip to 8H, because most mid-major touring acts aren't going to go there for a pair of five-minute performances when they can make a few hundred thousand bucks, at minimum (for example, ZZ Top's minimum booking fee is around $100,000, and no one will ever think them relevant nowadays), playing at the Barclays Center or MSG or whatever.

Edit: It's the same reason that Letterman always had a notably more difficult time of booking guests than Leno, because the bulk of TV and film production was happening in California, whereas they would only be in New York on a press junket or for leisure or rarely for a shoot. Baldwin has openly said he doesn't want to play Trump anymore because flying cross-country every week is exhausting.

Timby fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 3, 2019

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/mulaney/status/1102137533431984130

That gem has been sitting on the shelf for 10 years. Mulaney needs to host every season to pull out long buried sketches.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gently caress it, John Mulaney should replace Lorne when his last horcrux is found and destroyed.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
My feed cut off after the second musical act but browsing the thread it seems like there was just an in memoriam and then goodnights, right?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

jojoinnit posted:

My feed cut off after the second musical act but browsing the thread it seems like there was just an in memoriam and then goodnights, right?

Yup. Seems pretty likely a skit got cut because my local cycled through about 3 spare bumpers.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Timby posted:

gently caress it, John Mulaney should replace Lorne when his last horcrux is found and destroyed.

This is actually a great idea.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Last night's "cut for time" sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP_iVlEyp5M

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That's funny as hell. I'm not sure what I'd have cut to make room for it, though. This episode was chock full of good!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, that was good.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cyril Sneer posted:

That jumped out at me too.

He's talked a lot about his weird dog in his stand-up specials so I'm guessing the audience were fans of his stand-up. In his last special the audience cheered when he brought up his dog and he joked about how she didn't deserve any applause because she's such a little monster.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Last nights episode was like a feed from an alternate dimension where the writing isn’t lazy and lovely

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
What's That Name was my favorite gameshow sketch since Meet Your Second Wife.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 3, 2019

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SunshineDanceParty posted:

What's That Name was my favorite gameshow sketch since Meet You're Second Wife.

Watch your spelling! I think you meant, "Meat You're Second Wife."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They fixed some of the audio mix issues for the Bodega sketch before putting it on YouTube, which is nice.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I am legit afraid that I'll agree to go on a game show some time and then I'll find out it's What's That Name?.

I'm terrible with names and always have been... this sketch cuts so close to home!

pwn
May 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I am legit afraid that I'll agree to go on a game show some time and then I'll find out it's What's That Name?.

I'm terrible with names and always have been... this sketch cuts so close to home!
Right? God help you if your memory blows w/r/t names.

I mean the sketch is still incredible, but it’s also really obviously a mary sue written from the POV of the beleaguered unremembered. Get over it, whoever wrote it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It really seemed more like it was written by Mulaney after having several of those moments (being the forgetter).

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Michael Che and Colin Jost will be hosting Wrestlemania for some reason.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Push El Burrito posted:

Michael Che and Colin Jost will be hosting Wrestlemania for some reason.

Because it's awesome?

I and many people I know and have met just apologize for the name thing straightaway upon names being introduced. It's also a good icebreaker conversation since so many people are bad with remembering names.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Propaganda Machine posted:

Because it's awesome?

I and many people I know and have met just apologize for the name thing straightaway upon names being introduced. It's also a good icebreaker conversation since so many people are bad with remembering names.

Yeah, I wouldn't remember my own name if people didn't yell it all the time. I was at an ~Upper Crust~ wedding a few years ago and they loved playing a game where you'd be introduced to fifteen people and then have to recite all of their names back...

I could never be a Beltway Insider... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I'm so glad they brought back 'What's That Name'. The Timberlake/Gaga edition of that sketch is one of my favorite of all time, and it seemed like a premise that had been lost to time.