Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't wanna be all "I use my arms :smug:" but it's worth mentioning that when you are in control of your arms you are able to make one of them go limp, without being unconscious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
if someone sinks in a deep choke on me I'll sometimes let my arms go limp and make gurgling sounds and when they let go to check on me I pounce

mewse
May 2, 2006

From last months thread:

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1102115178148028416

So Colby thinks he's a genius pretending to be a dumb rear end in a top hat but he's actually a dumb rear end in a top hat

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mewse posted:

I don't wanna be all "I use my arms :smug:" but it's worth mentioning that when you are in control of your arms you are able to make one of them go limp, without being unconscious

Then you should also know that one of the worst times to do that is when someone has their arms wrapped around your neck in an mma contest.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

mewse posted:

From last months thread:

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1102115178148028416

So Colby thinks he's a genius pretending to be a dumb rear end in a top hat but he's actually a dumb rear end in a top hat

To be fair, Woodley's mum is annoying as gently caress.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

JaySB posted:

I know it's kinda a lovely stoppage but if you put enough pressure on one of the carotids you can pass out.

From that angle/replay it's pretty clear that Ben's forearm is on the chin but his bicep is driving right into the neck. Robbie could have gone out and when Ben readjusted it restarted the blood flow. But I'm sure Skip My Posts will come in and tell me I'm an r-word and that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

How was the arena? Crowd seemed really low key but maybe I was just tired watching it

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

I.N.R.I posted:

so i woke up and watched the main event. this isnt jon jones' problem, but why do they option to dq or not up to the fighter who got fouled? of course he's gonna wanna continue, because he will look like a prick if he doesn't. what a stupid burden to place on smith. and that fight was a mauling, it never needed to go to decision. normally i like that kind of dominant performance but that one just left a sour taste.

It sucks but it's just how they've always handled fouls, unless a guy is super hosed up and knocked out it tends to boil down to the doctor and referee asking "are you OK?" and the fighter is under a lot of pressure to continue because they'll be labeled a puss that took the easy way out if they don't. Especially in this case where Anthony Smith was in a really hopeless situation on the scorecards, but he didn't lose consciousness or even go off balance so it looks like he's fine. Even Herb Dean is in a tough spot because it's the title fight main event, the champion has been dominant but just committed a foul, and he came under fire for a bad stoppage earlier in the card. So deducting two points at once is actually a pretty severe punishment but one that's ultimately meaningless in this situation because Jones was so far ahead.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

kri kri posted:

How was the arena? Crowd seemed really low key but maybe I was just tired watching it

Kinda meh. They went nuts for Munhoz/Garbrandt but the rest of it was fairly quiet. There were a couple dull fights too. Vegas crowds have been weird lately, turning into LA where everyone is too good to cheer.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Garbrandt is kinda hosed

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

he didn't have much brain to begin with but after being koed swinging away with his chin out like a dumbass 3 times in a row.. yeesh

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

get him on JRE, hook him up to an alphabrain drip

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I think part of the reason Askrens dodgy win is so aggravating is that Askren clearly knows he was never going to win that fight. If he thought he was going to win he would take the rematch and style on Lawler but he's a coward and a fraud and wants somebody with No ability to wrestleinstead. Also he shat on woodley between finishing his fight and the presser which is hilarious considering Woodley managed to beat a dude Ben never would.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Byolante posted:

I think part of the reason Askrens dodgy win is so aggravating is that Askren clearly knows he was never going to win that fight. If he thought he was going to win he would take the rematch and style on Lawler but he's a coward and a fraud and wants somebody with No ability to wrestleinstead. Also he shat on woodley between finishing his fight and the presser which is hilarious considering Woodley managed to beat a dude Ben never would.

maybe youre confused because Askren also beat him last night.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Byolante posted:

You seem too personally invested in this fight.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

Cruz is an insufferable oval office on commentary.

Agreed.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Byolante posted:

Did you lose a lot of money on this or something?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Byolante posted:

Where was Robbie going with 2 minutes left to go in that bulldog choke?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Why do so many people have an obsession with WELL ACTUALLY ASKREN IS BAD AND A FRAUD good lord lol

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I think it's just that Byolante guy being weird about it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Le Saboteur posted:

Where was Robbie going with 2 minutes left to go in that bulldog choke?

out

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Why do so many people have an obsession with WELL ACTUALLY ASKREN IS BAD AND A FRAUD good lord lol

The funny thing is, when you really look back at the fight and tally it up, Askren was running his plan and controlling the fight with the exception of about 20 seconds.
Even towards the end when the commentator was saying that Lawler was stuffing his takedown by trapping Askren's head low, Askren had his head out and was controlling the wrist within SECONDS. The guy is so good on the ground it's barely understandable.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Daniel Cormier break is being used as an excuse to duck Jones for a title fight right?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
it’s probably the fact he has failed drug tests for every fight they have had

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
also if shao khan can get over having his fight stopped controversially I think we can all do the same

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
triple posting but cirkunov’s team was absolutely to throw the towel in before the stoppage

https://gfycat.com/infatuatedwildbaldeagle

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

McMadCow posted:

The funny thing is, when you really look back at the fight and tally it up, Askren was running his plan and controlling the fight with the exception of about 20 seconds.
Even towards the end when the commentator was saying that Lawler was stuffing his takedown by trapping Askren's head low, Askren had his head out and was controlling the wrist within SECONDS. The guy is so good on the ground it's barely understandable.

Yeah, I think Askren was going to win the fight anyway. It was insane how he survived the Angle Slam + punches and minutes later put Robbie in a headlock like he was wrestling his little brother.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Daniel Cormier break is being used as an excuse to duck Jones for a title fight right?

DC originally said he was not ever going to fight past his 40th birthday (which is in a couple weeks), he has said this for years. There was supposed to be a Brock fight and then he was gonna retire but Brock had WWE poo poo and DC got injured. Despite the injury DC fought Derrick Lewis because UFC needed a main event for New York and I guess offered him a boat of money.

I don't think we'll see DC fight again, but if we do, there's no way in hell it's going to be at LHW. If you're talking about Jones fighting for the heavyweight belt, a while back Jones was talking a little bit about going up to maybe fight Brock or DC at heavyweight, but he seems to have stopped mentioning that as far as I can tell and is fine at 205 for now, and contenders are available (Thiago Santos, eventually Johnny Walker).

Now we're in this limbo where DC is saying well maaaaaaaaaybe I'll fight, but I think he really means only if Brock becomes available, if he's ducking anyone in this whole mess it's Stipe.

Brut fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 4, 2019

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cody probably should have left with TJ and trained with a striking coach

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Jones has said recently he isn’t keen on HW and thinks people want it to happen just to see him lose lol

Let DC fight Brock and disappear with a boatload of money

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Robbie could have got out of that choke.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If you don’t count all the bits in his career where Ben Askren nearly died and has looked dogshit, he’s the GOAT.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like the stoppage at the time, dont like it now but dont blame herb, and very much wanted to see the fight continue

Idk if he gets out of that choke, Askren had it on tight and looked to have been moving his base to maybe angle and torque the jaw? So even if it wasnt on idk if he gets out of that

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Where the DC vs Jones fights even close?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Queering Wheel posted:

Yeah, I think Askren was going to win the fight anyway. It was insane how he survived the Angle Slam + punches and minutes later put Robbie in a headlock like he was wrestling his little brother.

Three argument against Askren winning is his complete inability to do anything but lay and pray vs a guy who can punch his head off and stop his 'amazing' wrestling just fine. Cranking on a ineffective sub and hoping for the best while being unable to get the fight to the ground is not the sign of a dominant wrestler.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Byolante posted:

Three argument against Askren winning is his complete inability to do anything but lay and pray vs a guy who can punch his head off and stop his 'amazing' wrestling just fine. Cranking on a ineffective sub and hoping for the best while being unable to get the fight to the ground is not the sign of a dominant wrestler.

It's good that UFC fights aren't determined by arguments then but by Herb Dean.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's weird that people here have watched more than one fight, have undoubtedly heard Joe Rogan's patented "it's in! It's in! No way is he...oh he's out" and still can't imagine a choke not working.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Herb screwed up very obviously and plainly and wether or not Askren would have finished that choke we'll never know because now he's decided to run down the clock until Lawler retires so that he never thinks about those twenty seconds or gets forcibly astral travelled to that cold, dark dimension where Terry Etim drives a great cosmic bus through the sky ever again.

It's a shame because both Askren and Lawler were poised to do something really great and instead we have this lame bullshit.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I really do want to see khabib rag doll askren like he did to trujillo now.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Watching it live I would have been completely fine with herb stopping it as a TKO for Lawler at a specific point there, but I rewatched it a few times and I think that what I initially saw as Askren not defending himself, was actually him very calmly going through the correct transitions until he completely tied Robbie up to stop him from striking.

I also see no way in hell Robbie's getting out of that choke in the almost 2 minutes remaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Skip My Posts posted:

lmao it was a bulldog choke you idiot

Still, the same dynamics apply. Sign up to a gym and learn a thing or two.