Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I don't think I've posted a thread since like GBS circa 2004 (we won't talk about that username anymore) and tbh I completely forgot about GWS. That said, I tried to find this recipe, was directed to some bad reddit thread, and it turns out nobody has posted a good Instant Pot Genovese recipe anywhere that I could find in my extensive 90 second search. Fantastic, cool story.

Genovese is a southern Italian meat sauce. It would be more accurate to say, "Genovese is Napolitano pot roast dumped onto pasta." It's a "Sunday meal," which means it takes 8-10 hours for grandma to cook properly. That said, it's mostly down time and you should definitely take the time to cook it properly at least once. But with my new "we-got-married-before-this-could-be-put-on-our-registry" Instant Pot, I figured I could compress that time. Also, there are two schools of thought about what you do with the finished sauce: Serve it up as a delicious meat goop, or put the less thick parts on the pasta and serve the meat as a secondi or main course. Option 1 makes for better leftovers and option 2 is basically serving the same dish twice. There are few things I enjoy more in life than committing Italian sacrilege, so we're going with option 1 here.

To be clear Genovese, which means "of Genoa" or "Genoan" depending on your personal belief system, is a Neapolitan dish. It's "peasant food," basically slow-cooked beef and onions from the south of Italy. I did a semester of college in Tuscany, where I learned to cook, and would visit a friend every other weekend in Naples because the food is just so much better down there. This recipe is adapted from a Neapolitan cookbook a local woman would give to my buddy, one of the NATO people who were stationed there. I asked him if putting Worcester in the sauce would kill an Italian somewhere and he said that it would, but that it would probably also resurrect an English person so I decided it wasn't worth it. I'll do my best to detail the process of reducing a 10 hour sauce into a 3 hour sauce. The thing with Genovese is, you can try to speed up the process but it just doesn't come out as delicious.

Enter the Instant Pot.

First, we meet our cast of characters (minus a few because I was a little high when I took this picture):
3 Yellow onions
2 Celery ribs
1 Handfull of Ranch Sticks (grate these if you want mushier sauce, but I chopped mine)
2 lbs Chuck roast
1 pack of salt pork (or pancetta you bougie gently caress)
1/2 can of diced tomatoes
1 cup Italian parsely
Rye whiskey (to taste)
Hash oil (to taste)

[not pictured]
salt
olive oil
dry white wine

Step 1: Start heating the Instant Pot with ~1/4 cup of olive oil in it on low saute mode while, and chop some veggies. Do the celery, carrots and parsley first and put them in a bowl:

Step 2: Then do the onions. First, chop them in half. Then cut them into thirds vertically:

Then slice them horizontally. Don't worry about being exact with this part as this is all going to be a glorious paste in your near future. I wore contacts until I got LASIK last year and I always thought people were just being sissies about cutting onions. It changes when you don't have leave-in eye shields.

This is my cooking friend Frankenstaples.

That's not his real name, but he just had a tumor removed from his head and is generally scared of anything that makes noise, so cooking sends him into hiding. Also, he wears a bowtie that my wife changes with the season. I apologize.

Step 3: Now that you've chopped the veggies, it's time to chop the meat. You want ~2" cubes for the chuck roast and narrow strips for Officer Salty:

Again, don't take too much time on this because it's all gonna be mush in a little bit.

Step 4: Pour the olive oil in your instant pot and put it on Saute, heat setting medium or high depending on your level of impatience.

The goal here is to render the fat out of the salt pork (or pancetta, you bougie gently caress), scoop it out with a slotted spoon, and set it aside when it gets golden-y brown-y looking.

Yes I know the lighting is terrible.

Step 5: Now throw the beef chunks in.

Salt the poo poo out of them and cook them until they're brown on all sides. This should leave you a good bit of cow juice in the bottom of the instant pot.

to:

Step 6: Now turn the pot off, turn it back on to medium saute, and dump the carrots, celery, and parsley mix in there. Throw Deputy Delicious in there as well and make sure to stir it all together to deglaze the pot:

Cook that down in the beef for 5-10 minutes, and pour yourself another whiskey because you're not even halfway there yet. I also recommend the hash pen. gently caress, you're out of rye. Go ahead and throw a housewife pour of white wine in there.

Dump a half a small can of diced tomatoes in there along with a bay leaf:

Yes I know my phone photography is garbage. Well aware.

Now mix that poo poo up until it looks like good Mexican food:

Turn your Instant Pot off again, seal it up, and hit the Meat/Stew button, and then Adjust until you're on 20 minutes:

Let it do its thing. It snowed 2" since I started this process. Probably like 5" by the time it was all said and done. Pow day tomorrow yusssssss.

After 20 minutes, it should look like even more delicious Mexican food, and your house should be aromatic to say the least:

Now get your potato masher out and start loving poo poo up

It's a twist and grind motion, much like a dry handjob.

At this point, Frankenstaples came out of hiding because the house smelled so good:

Set your Instant Pot for another 20 minute Meat/Stew session after you've satisfied yourself with the potato masher

Too close for missiles, switching to guns. Also pictured: chili con queso because gently caress you

After the second 20 minutes, remove the lid and put it on saute again, low heat this time. Get nasty with the potato masher again. It should look like this when you start out:

Again, I know my photography is poo poo.

At this point, you want to keep it on low saute until there's not much liquid left on the surface. Maybe 10 more minutes, maybe more. At some point, start boiling your pasta to just barely sub-al dente. Drain it, ladle some of that meat love in there, and continue to cook it. While that's happening, grate some parmigiano reggiano. Don't ever use anything spelled "Parmesan." My hypocrisy goes only so far.

Okay, so now should have a mush of beef and onions.
You should've been tasting it this whole time and adding salt as needed, Chop a little more parsley.

Finish your beer, you're now switching to red wine. Garnish with the parsley, parm, and serve with two or three bottles of wine.

I started this at about 4:15 and ended it at about 7:15. You can definitely do it in less time (the NYT recipe is only like an hour or so) but just don't. Seriously, if you're gonna put any effort into this just do it, you're already taking a shortcut via the pressure cooker.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

holy gently caress

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I really need to get an instant pot seeing as everything I make that takes more than 20 minutes tends to take more than 8 hours.

This thing needs some sausages. And more salt. I'm just assuming it needs more salt.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!
Cool garnish OP

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Your dog is adorable!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

My wife and I just both got gassed by him in our bed. Dude didn’t even wake up. Not so adorable.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
drat that looks amazing! Also I'm renaming my dog (formerly known as Butter) to Frankenstaples. He recently had a tumor removed from his hip.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Big fan of the slow cooked meat sauce. Looks delicious!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What impressed me about the Italian food rabbit hole I went down on yesterday is that the typical dishes really don't involve very much in the way of ingredients. A little wine here, a bit of olive oil there. Hit it with time, and that's it. And the thing is? People rave about Italian food when they have it. It also means you don't have a lot of space to hide. Either you're getting good quality ingredients, or your food will taste awful.

How'd it come out? I'm guessing it's total comfort food?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’ve done the 9 hour version and this was every bit as good. If you do it right, the onions dissolve into a delicious goop which complements the falling apart roast beautifully. It’s absolutely comfort food, especially lovely when you’re in the middle of a hellacious snow year like we’re having in Colorado. If I were to make it again I wouldn’t change a thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dino. posted:

What impressed me about the Italian food rabbit hole I went down on yesterday is that the typical dishes really don't involve very much in the way of ingredients. A little wine here, a bit of olive oil there. Hit it with time, and that's it. And the thing is? People rave about Italian food when they have it. It also means you don't have a lot of space to hide. Either you're getting good quality ingredients, or your food will taste awful.

How'd it come out? I'm guessing it's total comfort food?

It is impressive.

I make this recipe as my sauce base most of the time now. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015375-tomato-sauce-with-onion-and-butter

I just use some canned San Marzanos and if I want to I dress it up with garlic and herbs or some hard cheese or cream etc and just kinda go out from there. It's amazing how good it is just as described in the recipe though. I would suggest if you have it to just run the recipe through a pressure cooker for 20 mins, discard the onion and then hit with a stick blender. Might need a pinch of sugar to offset the acidity if you find it potent.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Come to think of it, I've been meaning to take a deep dive into Italian food anyway. This is just one more confirmation that I'm due for a bit of a binge. I can pick up enough of what they're doing to figure it out by watching what they're putting in and how.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

The basic rules of Italian cooking are as follows:
1. Good ingredients
2. Don’t ruin them

I tend to gravitate to slow-cooked sauces as there’s more time to taste, adjust, repeat, but if you can make good arancini as a party trick you’ll blow some minds.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

That Works posted:

Might need a pinch of sugar to offset the acidity if you find it potent.

Slab of butter at the very end never hurts. I used to know the Italian verb for adding butter to your sauce at the end. It was something like acrematizzare or generally meaning “bring it to creaminess.” Now I can’t find it. I’m also told that doesn’t pass the Italian purity test in some parts.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
TIL: Italians have opinions about food, and will let you know
(J/k)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

That Works posted:

It is impressive.

I make this recipe as my sauce base most of the time now. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015375-tomato-sauce-with-onion-and-butter

I just use some canned San Marzanos and if I want to I dress it up with garlic and herbs or some hard cheese or cream etc and just kinda go out from there. It's amazing how good it is just as described in the recipe though. I would suggest if you have it to just run the recipe through a pressure cooker for 20 mins, discard the onion and then hit with a stick blender. Might need a pinch of sugar to offset the acidity if you find it potent.

I didn't know this was a "recipe". If I'm feeling decadent and have quality tomatoes, pretty close to what I'll do with fresh pasta - just throw a bunch of fresh basil in to wilt for a minute before serving.

If I'm doing a base with canned i tend to dice a small onion, make little garlic discs as thin as I can cut, bit of butter, bit of oil, heap of basil and oregano, splash of cabernet, and then forget it exists for a few hours. At that point you can braise meatballs (or any other meat), braise sausages, add some cream, add some vodka and cream, mix with a bescamel and throw in the oven - whatever. I keep a quart of it in my freezer at all times so I can build off of it any given evening.

Man, I can't wait to plant my tomatoes next week.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Just FYI this guy died for your San Marzano tomatoes

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If made this tonight. It was the only adaptation I’ve seen of this recipe for a pressure cooker/instant pot.

Thank you. (I also did the whiskey but not the hash or queso).

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Also delicious, having made it both ways:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/11/pressure-cooker-ragu-bolognese-food-lab.html

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I have some duck breast kicking around in the freezer, can I just substitute it for duck thigh in this recipe, or do I have to adjust the cooking time?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

As long as the weight is about the same I don’t see why you’d need to adjust it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Um duck breast does not need to be cooked as long as a thigh and is fantastic med-rare imo. You can finish the breast without even pressure cooking it in the total cook time. Look for a breast specific recipe.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For the record, this also can pivot into curry with your favourite boxed roux from glorious Nippon and slightly different seasonings.

I have been eating that poo poo (yes it looks like poo poo) pretty much weekly.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
this is my favorite Chef John recipe that i've never made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJMqmscRS8

man i love onions

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Do it. Pressure cooker onion mush is still onion mush.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I love pasta alla genovese and honestly it was better on the stovetop, but still like, acceptable in the IP. Also it didn't take 6 hours to make. My partner hates onions though, so I rarely make it anymore.

modernwinglish
Dec 28, 2012

I'll squawk the world and molt with you
Made this tonight and it was loving amazing. My husband and I owe a dinner invitation to friends of ours and we will be making this. One has celiac so I'm planning on serving it over polenta.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

👍
🙏

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I made this without tomato.The vegetables released a ton of liquid, I was spooked so put a few ounces of chicken stock in before the cook but it was unnecessary.

I used a 2.75 pound piece of chuck roast and seared it on both sides before I did anything else and deglazed the pan with wine. Otherwise recipe works, is good.

EDIT: I bought some polenta (it was actually colavita instant polenta and it was very good) and it worked great with the sauce. Will try risotto next.
EDIT2: Ok I did mezze rigatoni instead. It was great, the noodles were better than the polenta (both were good tho).
EDIT3: Did the risotto this time. It was excellent, probably my favorite of the three. I used the serious eats recipe but without whipped cream ofc (WTF Kenji) and added a lot of the beef sauce.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 31, 2019

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I did this tonight thank you. :co: :respek:

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Genovese sauce is one of the few things I can consistently make that imo blows like 99% of all food I've ever eaten out of the water and I'm a very picky gently caress.

I use a bit of tomato paste instead of whole tomatoes, and a much more aggressive amount of onions. More in tune with the food wishes recipe, earnestly. Takes about 6 hours. I've let it go for longer but I seem to hit extreme diminishing returns at that point wrt to texture+flavour vs. time. Ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
drat that looks good. Thanks for the detailed write up. I have an instant pot but the only thing I've cooked is chicken thighs. This looks doable for my skill level.