Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Random Stranger posted:

The absolute lowest form of comic book story is the one that tries to resolve contradictory continuity.
Geoff Johns just got super loving angry and doesn't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

On the upside, the dumb computer stuff is what gives us Ben in a Spider-Man suit, so you've got that to look forward to. And the launch of Sensational Spider-Man, because what the Spider line really needed was another monthly title.

At least they canceled Web to make room.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

site posted:

I've seen Jim zubs script templates recommended by pros on Twitter fairly often, i think his site is just jimzub.com or something but if you Google it it shouldn't be hard to find

His tutorials were really helpful thank you. I just wish there was an equivalent to Final Draft for comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There's a program called Fade In I think??? that I've seen people talk about but I don't think it's specifically for comics

site fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 10, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Random Stranger and I are working on a podcast called Marvel Be My Destiny, that covers the Marvel Universe in some sort of chronological order. I embarked on a big Marvel reading project a few years ago, so these comics are still pretty fresh for me, whereas RS has an extensive knowledge of comics history. The intent is to do 60-90 minute episodes with a focus on 6-7 related books, mostly but not entirely from the MU.

We have ~6 episodes recorded, still working through the kinks. Posting a pilot episode. Note that we're still working on improving the audio production and figuring out the right amount of editing.

Looking for any feedback people have.

You can download it here.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Never recommend me videos ever again Youtube.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean, regardless of what you thought of him before Spencer's Spider-Man is pretty great so far and actually goes back and addresses most everything that people bitched about for years with Slott's Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I mean, regardless of what you thought of him before Spencer's Spider-Man is pretty great so far and actually goes back and addresses most everything that people bitched about for years with Slott's Spider-Man.

Does he have a college degree again yet?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Does he have a college degree again yet?

Nope, he doesn't have time for the classes and because he has apprehensions about working with Curt Conners.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

X-O posted:

Nope, he doesn't have time for the classes and because he has apprehensions about working with Curt Conners.

Is Curt like, re-decent again? I seem to recall him devouring his son

Also my understanding is that if I love Captain America, I need that Waid Omnibus, is this correct?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I tried reading the first volume of it recently and hated it.

I'm so tired of Nick Spencer's brand of humor. It's like reading 2005 forums pointing out how it's just so dumb that this dude is named something silly combined with gaming webcomics about what if real life were like video games?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also my understanding is that if I love Captain America, I need that Waid Omnibus, is this correct?

I actually think it's a pretty forgettable run, definitely not worth $80. I guess if you can get it used it's pleasant enough but it's definitely Waid in his "innocuous wheel-spinning" mode for better or worse, imo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Curt is kind of in a Professor Hulk mode in that he he's aware all the time. And his family is full on lizards now after the events of Clone Conspiracy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

I don't believe you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Random Stranger and I are working on a podcast called Marvel Be My Destiny, that covers the Marvel Universe in some sort of chronological order.

I'm going to say up front, if there's something you don't like in that episode, it's my fault. There's several things in there that I recognized as problems, and took steps to try to address, that were because of me.

But don't burn me too hard because according to Cyberwar, the next part of the clone saga, if I die on the Internet, I die in real life!

Still, it might not be that bad. I mean--

Really? REALLY?!

Her storyline is that she just attacks Scarlet Spider because she's playing real life Mortal Kombat. No, seriously, that's the stated reason. A Bugle report sees her attack and thinks that random nobody jumping Spider-Man might be worth a Pulitzer. Maybe it's me but a Spider powered guy getting attacked by someone in a costume doesn't even rate as the biggest story of the day anymore, let alone significant enough for an award.

Oh god, another clone!? For fucks sake you just got rid of all the clones, why are you doing a virtual reality copy of Scarlet Spider becomes real story! Can't you go two loving months without clones!?

Using cyber-clone Scarlet Spider to make Ben give up being the Scarlet Spider is infuriatingly bad. People aren't going to give up trying to find the guy who nearly pulled the Daily Bugle building onto its side just because he changed his clothes. The consequences are all still there, they're just all completely unresolved!

"She is about to activate a device that will allow reality and cyberspace to merge! I don't have to tell you, Ben-- the implications are enormous! The resultant reality storms and shifts would be devastating!" -- a horrifyingly bad attempt to inject a plot into this thing in the last part. None of it makes any sense on the page, it's completely incoherent and I kept thinking I missed something because anything that happened directly contradicted early plot elements. It's almost Morrison-esque in its insanity but completely lacking in talent.

There's someone living in Dr. Octopus's computer who the first half implies is an existing character and they keep shadowed/pixelated/obscured until almost the end where it turns out to be somebody we've never seen before and likely never will again. Way to pay off the mystery there.

The New Warriors issue they stuffed in the middle here didn't have anything to do with Scarlet Spider, but at least if featured all of the foes from Speedball's original series trying to catch his cat. Apparently his home town is "the only town in America with laws against masked vigilantes" because I guess all those other towns in the Marvel universe didn't pass any anti-KKK laws. Also, MST3K reference out of nowhere...

Best panel of the story arc is Dr. Octopus's drinking coffee from a mug reading "World's Greatest Mom" held in a mechanical arm. John Romita Jr. took over the adjectiveless art duties and Al Williamson is inking him very clean. The art on his part at least looks terrific.

So, that was a nightmare. So much for my hope that the comics would improve. Next time in clone saga palooza, Ben Reilly is finally Spider-Man. I think.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Random Stranger posted:

"She is about to activate a device that will allow reality and cyberspace to merge! I don't have to tell you, Ben-- the implications are enormous! The resultant reality storms and shifts would be devastating!" -- a horrifyingly bad attempt to inject a plot into this thing in the last part. None of it makes any sense on the page, it's completely incoherent and I kept thinking I missed something because anything that happened directly contradicted early plot elements. It's almost Morrison-esque in its insanity but completely lacking in talent.

You're describing my very first Marvel comic right there. I think the absolutely stupid story title CYBERWAR is what sold it to me over anything else on the stand.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't believe you.

It’s pretty decent. It doesn’t have the weird politics of his Cap and Falcon runs, and while it has its deep mystery bullshit it’s in the background and a teaser while the A plots actually resolve or move forward.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Late to the game re: templates for writing comics, but I use Fred Van Lente's template (as modified by Rob Marland), and it's great. It's the "Rob's Auto-Numbering" template here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm really enjoying Spencer's Spider-run, but I freely admit that anyone willing to roll their eyes at Brand New Day's bullshit and have Peter and MJ just have a quick "wait, why the gently caress aren't we together? This dancing around each other is dumb as poo poo and we both know how it's gonna end up" conversation wins a ton of good will from me, and he did that as, like, the literal first thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
e: wrong thread

site fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 11, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jordan7hm posted:

Random Stranger and I are working on a podcast called Marvel Be My Destiny, that covers the Marvel Universe in some sort of chronological order. I embarked on a big Marvel reading project a few years ago, so these comics are still pretty fresh for me, whereas RS has an extensive knowledge of comics history. The intent is to do 60-90 minute episodes with a focus on 6-7 related books, mostly but not entirely from the MU.

We have ~6 episodes recorded, still working through the kinks. Posting a pilot episode. Note that we're still working on improving the audio production and figuring out the right amount of editing.

Looking for any feedback people have.

You can download it here.

i dont listen to podcasts so i cant really speak to the technical side but after going through the whole thing i only came out with two notes

immediate switch from discussion of starman reprint to okay enough about us is kinda jarring

maybe when starting to dive into a book, explain up front what it is and super short synopsis, like the marvel #1 explain that it's an anthology title that contains human torch and namor and summarize those stories before going into page by page/panel by panel stuff so we have a clearer indication of whats being discussed

site fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 11, 2019

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Archyduchess posted:

I actually think it's a pretty forgettable run, definitely not worth $80. I guess if you can get it used it's pleasant enough but it's definitely Waid in his "innocuous wheel-spinning" mode for better or worse, imo.

Really? His first storyline is an all time classic. After heroes reborn it started really strong but sort of fell apart at the end

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The saga of the clone saga enters a new era as Ben Reilly is finally Spider-Man.

Oh holy gently caress, there are such things as issues of Spider-Man that don't suck. I was starting to give up hope. Jurgen's Sensational Spider-Man has got quite a few rough edges, but it's actually enjoyable. He doesn't have a great touch with the jokes, though it's better than most of the writers lately. The new villain is pretty boring and I'm not sure changing to off-brand Dormammu is actually a step up for Mysterio. But I could follow the plot, the artwork can tell a story, and it hits the right notes. So a very surprised thumbs up here.

The actual plot, on the other hand... Oh hey a revamp of a Spider-villain is trying to steal a computer chip. Again. And it turns computer generated images into solid objects. Again. How is this the next storyline after Cyberwar? We just did this! That's not Jurgen's fault, the editor should have told him to change things up.

I like the design of Ben's costume. Spider-Man's outfit has become so iconic that it's hard to drift very far from it. This version with the huge spider motif looks really good and I think it would even work as a costume design for Spider-Man today.

Jurgens on Sensational is good. Amazing is bland because it got the weaker of the Spider-writers put on it with DeFalco. Adjectiveless has got great Romita Jr. art, but it's written by Howard Mackie and it's a tough call on whether I'd rather read DeFalco or Mackie.

But because nothing can ever end in these books, there was one more virtual reality clone storyline with Nightmare in Scarlet. The story makes no sense and builds off a story that makes no sense. Everyone and everything involved it is terrible and I'm seriously questioning the decision making that brought me to read it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Random Stranger posted:

The saga of the clone saga enters a new era as Ben Reilly is finally Spider-Man.

Oh holy gently caress, there are such things as issues of Spider-Man that don't suck. I was starting to give up hope. Jurgen's Sensational Spider-Man has got quite a few rough edges, but it's actually enjoyable. He doesn't have a great touch with the jokes, though it's better than most of the writers lately. The new villain is pretty boring and I'm not sure changing to off-brand Dormammu is actually a step up for Mysterio. But I could follow the plot, the artwork can tell a story, and it hits the right notes. So a very surprised thumbs up here.

The actual plot, on the other hand... Oh hey a revamp of a Spider-villain is trying to steal a computer chip. Again. And it turns computer generated images into solid objects. Again. How is this the next storyline after Cyberwar? We just did this! That's not Jurgen's fault, the editor should have told him to change things up.

I like the design of Ben's costume. Spider-Man's outfit has become so iconic that it's hard to drift very far from it. This version with the huge spider motif looks really good and I think it would even work as a costume design for Spider-Man today.

Jurgens on Sensational is good. Amazing is bland because it got the weaker of the Spider-writers put on it with DeFalco. Adjectiveless has got great Romita Jr. art, but it's written by Howard Mackie and it's a tough call on whether I'd rather read DeFalco or Mackie.

But because nothing can ever end in these books, there was one more virtual reality clone storyline with Nightmare in Scarlet. The story makes no sense and builds off a story that makes no sense. Everyone and everything involved it is terrible and I'm seriously questioning the decision making that brought me to read it.

Honestly I think Ben's costume just works better as Spider-Girl's costume than as his. Maybe because I read Spider-Girl before I ever saw Ben Reilly.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ben's hoodie costume is one of my favorite superhero costumes even if I'm never going to read those stories.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was a mini series that re-did the Clone Saga in six issues by DeFalco and Mackie. It's the much better version.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/jeffparker/status/1105188417304813568

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time for some more clone saga and this time it's mainly some crossover miniseries with the Punisher and Venom. They somehow missed Ghost Rider? Or did he already flame out by this point (heh heh).

A dude in a swamp surprised by a bomb and then revived as a muck encrusted mockery of a man whose touch burns? Where have I heard this one before?

Four pencillers and five inkers is the sign of a quality book.

The Punisher is in the mob? I assume this was some kind of weird thing from his book but it makes absolutely no sense. At least Ben being Spider-Man was intended as the current long term status quo. If the same is the case for the Punisher then what the gently caress? Also, terrible 90's ponytail for serial killer who specializes in mafia goons.

The Punisher crossover was just about unreadable. The first issue was definitely a case of "we'll just dialog something in to cover up this mess" and the second was just ugly.

Weirdly enough, I kind of liked the art on the Venom crossover. There was actually some creativity involved in the layouts and character work. Larry Hama's story isn't really great, but at least it's coherent. That's a low bar, but a lot of stories I've been reading in the clone saga don't make it over it.

Oh god, I forgot Venom used to be able to travel via phone line.

God I hate the 90s.

Next up, more Dan Jurgens so that'll be nice. Unfortunately it's back to all crossovers all the time so I'll get one part with him and then two parts with someone else for Media Blizzard.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Reminder that Spider-Ben got to beat up Superboy around this time.

Man, Marvel vs. DC is the ultimate 90's time capsule.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah it's hilarious how many of the characters in the marvel/DC crossover fights are like weird 90s knockoffs or altered versions of the characters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gavok posted:

Reminder that Spider-Ben got to beat up Superboy around this time.

Man, Marvel vs. DC is the ultimate 90's time capsule.

And Jubilee made out with Tim Drake Robin.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah it's hilarious how many of the characters in the marvel/DC crossover fights are like weird 90s knockoffs or altered versions of the characters.

The 90'sness of Marvel vs. DC off the top of my head:

- Mullet Superman
- Smart Hulk
- Emphasis on Lobo and Jubilee
- Spider-Ben
- Jacket Superboy
- Ab Commander Thor
- Ponytail Punisher and Namor
- Hook-handed Aquaman
- Antihero Deathstroke
- And I guess Kyle Rayner kind of represents the 90's, even if he wasn't a flash-in-the-pan

Ever since the early 00's, Access has probably been the most successful superhero ever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gavok posted:

Ever since the early 00's, Access has probably been the most successful superhero ever.

That last story arc on All-New Astonishing Access was amazing.

Marvel, DC, it's the 90's. "What were you smoking that made you think this was a good idea?!" should not be a question readers are asking.

And yet here is more clone saga!

Media Blizzard was a weird story. I like the idea that Mysterio gets magic tech that lets him make any television programming he desires with his only limit is his imagination, and then he just makes derivative knock offs of better shows. A clever writer could have had some fun with this instead of just saying, "Wow, these shows on the Mysterio Network suck." Also, Mysterio is enough of a nerd to complain about Star Trek: Generations.

"Time to investigate the headquarters of the mysterious new television network whose programming is literally hypnotizing people. Why yes, president of the network, I will put on the VR headset you hand me without a second thought!"

Mysterio's plan falls about in thirty seconds because advertisers suddenly think his shows suck. That might be the most unrealistic thing in this comic.

The holiday special was fine. Really generic stories but the dialog was better than most of what I've been reading. Also, someone did marginal cartoons in the Spider-Man/Human Torch story which was odd since they never actually did anything with them.

The next story in my clone saga saga is The Final Adventure in which Peter Parker has one final adventure as Spider-Man and he will definitely never ever be Spider-Man again after that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gavok posted:

The 90'sness of Marvel vs. DC off the top of my head:

- Emphasis on Lobo and Jubilee

They should bring this back

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Smart Hulk ruled, unironically.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
So did hook-handed Aquaman*

*Disclaimer: My experiences from hook-handed Aquaman are solely from JLU and that one panel sequence where both him and Lobo befriend each other because they love dolphins

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Random Stranger mentioned there was a story involving virtual reality and Nightmare, and now I kind of want a story where Nightmare gets into the Vision’s dream. Electric sheep appreciated, but not necessary.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Smart Hulk ruled, unironically.

Smart Hulk was very awesome, especially since he made it clear that the Hulk could now be anything. The story was about Professor Hulk now, but next year maybe another personality would be dominant and we'd have a different Hulk.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Samuringa posted:

So did hook-handed Aquaman*

*Disclaimer: My experiences from hook-handed Aquaman are solely from JLU and that one panel sequence where both him and Lobo befriend each other because they love dolphins

Lobo loving dolphins is one of my favourite character traits for him. Just something about a big over the top macho man getting all the feels because of dolphins, and then he goes and joins some dolphin cult/religion in 52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Random Stranger mentioned there was a story involving virtual reality and Nightmare, and now I kind of want a story where Nightmare gets into the Vision’s dream. Electric sheep appreciated, but not necessary.
Avengers: No Road Home currently has Vision in Nightmare's realm, so it's kinda being done right now?