Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
HBO Max wins because it has The Last Unicorn, thats all it needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It also has the Arnold and Vanessa Williams 90s action hit Eraser. It's a fun time. Hadn't watched it since I was a kid and it's better than I remembered.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Jolo posted:

It also has the Arnold and Vanessa Williams 90s action hit Eraser. It's a fun time. Hadn't watched it since I was a kid and it's better than I remembered.

That seems like one of those movies that just doesn't seem to appear on television or movie channels ever.

HBO Max rules.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

That HBO intro owns. As a 90s kid I've been messing with a script for my Plex server that runs this before a movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0JtaqinNCo

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Same, but I use this video instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53s13hXBX8w

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress yeah. Years ago youtube or some site had the intro but in Russian and its one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Just some dude violently screaming in Russian for the translation but it's like 10x more intense. Haven't been able to find it in years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

some lady walked into my showing of Killer Joe and vomited so hard over the first three rows that it sounded like ripping canvas.

It PERFECTLY meshed with the movie and only added to it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was totally fine with Mad Men's "The Crash" episode, but i wasnt really down with Bert Cooper's "last dance". He was a Randian Weeabo, kinda okay rarely, him dying was vaguely sad but he wasnt as core as like, Roger. I could see Roger dying and then Don imagining some bizarre dance scene.

Almost done marathoning this before it leaves Netflix in 8 days.

Bert Cooper finding out about Dons dark secret and absolutely not giving a poo poo about it is one of the show's strongest moments and arguably the show's whole thematic point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Honestly I always thought Don's SUPER BIG SECRET was not really a big deal

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

Honestly I always thought Don's SUPER BIG SECRET was not really a big deal

I mean, yeah. That's what the show is saying. But in reality what Don did could land him in a massive amount of trouble if it were taken to law enforcement and the military.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The vast of night had a cool vibe going for it but it felt a little underbaked to me. The tracking shots were cool though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Here's a little walkthrough for you guys.

HBO Max has Titanic. Regular HBO does not.

I watch things on my Vizio D-39f-F0 which is a smart TV with apps and built in Chromecast. It's a two year old TV, top of the line.

I subscribe to HBO through Hulu. Searching for Titanic through Hulu on my TV shows no results, because you can't watch or search through HBO Max content on Hulu, only regular HBO.

To watch Titanic on the TV I need to:
1. Download the HBO Max app on my phone
2. Create an HBO Max account
3. Enter my Hulu login info into the app to prove I'm paying for HBO
4. Cast HBO Max from the app on my phone to my TV

Non HBO Max content, "normal" HBO, shows up in searches on Hulu and can be watched on the Hulu app on my TV without any casting nonsense.

Don't worry, in a few months they'll launch HBO Max Go Plus which will combine some of the features from all of them to make things easier.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The vast of night had a cool vibe going for it but it felt a little underbaked to me. The tracking shots were cool though.

In previous years I would assume the director's next movie would be something somewhat higher budget that will probably hold together better, but it's 2020 so he's gonna get a big tentpole franchise movie because midbudget films are dead.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Medullah posted:

Don't worry, in a few months they'll launch HBO Max Go Plus which will combine some of the features from all of them to make things easier.

HBO Ne Plus Ultra

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

HBO Ne Plus Ultra: Gaiden "Do You Remember Love?"

Updated for two months after that.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They're only doing this so they can eventually pull all of them and reintroduce HBO Classic, then we'll all be in their clutches

e dammit is The Pale Horse (on Prime) another show where I'm going to get suckered in by the pilot and then not be able to quit when it takes some kind of unnecessary downward turn

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 4, 2020

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Jolo posted:

How do those alligators hold up because I remember them not being so great even back in the day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watching that Epstein thing and he is almost tied with Trump for "human whose face is the most painful to look at". I only say almost because he doesn't have that dumb factor that trump does and he is loving dead.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The new Alex Rider series has a good start, I got a sensible chuckle out of his cover name: Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Friend.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

How do those alligators hold up because I remember them not being so great even back in the day.

They're CG in the wide shots and puppets(models, whatever) up close and looked pretty alright to me. Didn't stand out like the CG in Mortal Kombat or anything.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

veni veni veni posted:

Watching that Epstein thing and he is almost tied with Trump for "human whose face is the most painful to look at". I only say almost because he doesn't have that dumb factor that trump does and he is loving dead.

Yeah, I stalled out on watching it and just started listening to it in the background because they kept showing his face.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Edit wrong thread

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Cosmos on hulu is a love quadrangle that had me cracking up when it forced tension so hard my tv exploded

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Scrolling through the list on HBO Max and there's a lot of unexpected stuff on here. Just gonna list a few as I cruise through here...

American Animals - Real life story about the planning and execution of an art heist from a University library in 2003. It cuts back and forth between actors playing the people involved and interviews with the actual people.

Man Bites Dog - (fictional) Documentary film about a film crew following around a killer in Belgium.

Speed Racer - The Wachowskis deliver pure glorious audio/visual delight. The villains are sneering, the sense of speed is incredible, the movie is a joy. Watch it loud on the biggest screen you have.

Blood Simple - Early Coen Brothers movie. It's excellent.

There's a lot of good stuff on here. Hoping the content stays good and it's not a deal with a bunch of good stuff that disappears in a couple of months.

edit: Holy poo poo man, Critters 1 and 2 and Gremlins 1 and 2 are on here. Hell yes. I haven't seen past the first two Critters but both are silly and entertaining and I recommend them.

edit edit: Hausu is on here. What?! What???! Ok I'll stop.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 4, 2020

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jolo posted:

Scrolling through the list on HBO Max and there's a lot of unexpected stuff on here. Just gonna list a few as I cruise through here...

American Animals - Real life story about the planning and execution of an art heist from a University library in 2003. It cuts back and forth between actors playing the people involved and interviews with the actual people.

Man Bites Dog - (fictional) Documentary film about a film crew following around a killer in Belgium.

Speed Racer - The Wachowskis deliver pure glorious audio/visual delight. The villains are sneering, the sense of speed is incredible, the movie is a joy. Watch it loud on the biggest screen you have.

Blood Simple - Early Coen Brothers movie. It's excellent.

There's a lot of good stuff on here. Hoping the content stays good and it's not a deal with a bunch of good stuff that disappears in a couple of months.

edit: Holy poo poo man, Critters 1 and 2 and Gremlins 1 and 2 are on here. Hell yes. I haven't seen past the first two Critters but both are silly and entertaining and I recommend them.

edit edit: Hausu is on here. What?! What???! Ok I'll stop.

Can confirm re Speed Racer. Rewatched it not too long ago and had a blast. I forgot how intense the visuals were.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man Bites Dog is absolutely essential and it's not been streaming much so that's a must watch

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I dunno, i tried to revisit that movie after thinking it was genius at 17 and it just struck me as edgy, hosed up (but in that specific way meant to cater to white men that most of such media is "hosed up") stupid, and pretentious but...hey, I've also changed.

Finished Mad Men and I liked the final episode, though I felt like the Stan and Peggy thing was some rushed punctuation. I never really thought they'd end up together. Obviously real relationships happen like that, but it just feels like they got paired off.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
With stuff like Man Bites Dog, Gaspar Noe, a lot of Takashi Miike, etc, ive realized that what i thought was "transgressive" and "artistic" and "profound" as a teen is mostly just...violence against women (it's so consistent as to be undeniable) and grotesque edgy bullshit. None of it pushes any *real* boundaries, or posits anything actually actually dangerous or really thought-provoking or profound.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Revisiting Man Bites Dog, it just feels like some...student film. I guess it kind of is? The entire premise is childish and its execution is full of the hallmarks of white male "transgressiveness" which is really mostly just constantly punching down (violence against women/being racist)
As much any of these types of films make "statements" about "society", or the grotesque content they're displaying, it's completely lost in how much they *clearly* revel in depicting it. It's honestly bad for you.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

e dammit is The Pale Horse (on Prime) another show where I'm going to get suckered in by the pilot and then not be able to quit when it takes some kind of unnecessary downward turn

So I'm dumb, it's just a two part miniseries. I thought it was scary as hell, maybe a good way to prime an innocent mind for Midsommar.

Unrelated, the two part X-Files arc made up by "Christmas Carol" and "Emily" has to be the most schizophrenic pair of episodes in the series, the first one has a mysterious waking nightmare vibe and is 99.9% Scully, which was great, then Mulder comes in for the second part and it's just aliens, again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Revisiting Man Bites Dog, it just feels like some...student film. I guess it kind of is? The entire premise is childish and its execution is full of the hallmarks of white male "transgressiveness" which is really mostly just constantly punching down (violence against women/being racist)
As much any of these types of films make "statements" about "society", or the grotesque content they're displaying, it's completely lost in how much they *clearly* revel in depicting it. It's honestly bad for you.

Okay.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I am glad that I decided Irreversible was not for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New season of Queer Eye is up. Man, they sure do crank them out lol.

I'm not complaining though. I could use some sappy, feel good reality TV atm.

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirt…with documents!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Plot Against America is pretty good but it definitely has the lamest intro song of all "prestige tv"

IMO the intro credit sequences of The Plot Against America and The Deuce seem kinda cheap and dated (like late '90s/early '00s tv ), conflicting with the quality of the rest of the production. Not asking for True Detective level stuff, but shows have upped their game since The Wire. It's like they were made in iMovie.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I love me a good intro. Halt and Catch Fire's is one of the better ones from the last decade.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
HaCF intro is awesome. I've been rewatching Black Sails the last week or so and to that intro kicks rear end too, even my wife thought so when she walked in one time.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

HaCF intro is awesome. I've been rewatching Black Sails the last week or so and to that intro kicks rear end too, even my wife thought so when she walked in one time.

Bear McCreary owns and the making of the Black Sails intro is pretty interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBmzzrU3gR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXQ0z9NCl8

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just saw Wind River again on Netflix. What a great movie, especially the part where the guy says "Why are you flanking us?".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Today i learned there's like...a Dickens crossover universe show??? Watch Oliver Twist meet Scrooge, I guess??

I started Hannibal. I like it okay. Very stylish. Some of it feels conventional WEIRD SPECIAL DETECTIVE GUY and im not ever into those shows (unless you count liking the og sherlock stories as a kid and enjoying old columbo) but im still here for mads mikkelson and everything that's not conventional about the show.
Im mostly just having fun with the Death Note-like "Hannibal fucks with the entire clueless FBI" aspect and waiting for the other shoe to drop with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Today i learned there's like...a Dickens crossover universe show??? Watch Oliver Twist meet Scrooge, I guess??

I started Hannibal. I like it okay. Very stylish. Some of it feels conventional WEIRD SPECIAL DETECTIVE GUY and im not ever into those shows (unless you count liking the og sherlock stories as a kid and enjoying old columbo) but im still here for mads mikkelson and everything that's not conventional about the show.
Im mostly just having fun with the Death Note-like "Hannibal fucks with the entire clueless FBI" aspect and waiting for the other shoe to drop with that

Hannibal is so loving good and I wish I could go back and watch it for the first time again.