Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

hmmxkrazee posted:

I just could not get into Umbrella Academy at all (watched the whole thing cause my wife was enjoying it). I thought none of the characters were appealing at all and found them all some degree of unlikeable.

I liked the robot mom, she was all right, kinda melancholy, or melanchalloy if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Don't Trust the B is easily one of the best sitcoms of the decade

PREACH

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

October Faction was the first nf show that I thought I could see the cheapness shine through

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I watched Greyhound. It was OK. Super short which was both good and bad. Good in that it kept up the intensity swinging from battle to battle and matched Hank's character being on the bridge the entire 48 hours. But bad it in that I think the film needed a little more room to breathe. We don't really get to know any of the characters and the one emotional point in the middle when the cook dies I didn't really care because we hardly got to know him.

Watch it if you love war movies for the battles, not for the human stories.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Old Guard is a surprisingly well made movie for something on Netflix. I paid movie theater money to watch Atomic Blonde and this is virtually on par. The production is up there with that Triple Frontier movie they put out last year.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Zero One posted:

I watched Greyhound. It was OK. Super short which was both good and bad. Good in that it kept up the intensity swinging from battle to battle and matched Hank's character being on the bridge the entire 48 hours. But bad it in that I think the film needed a little more room to breathe. We don't really get to know any of the characters and the one emotional point in the middle when the cook dies I didn't really care because we hardly got to know him.

Yeah, I had the same impression. To me it seems like they probably shot a 3 hour movie that included everything, and opted to edit it down for pacing (and maybe streaming?) reasons. I actually thought I had missed a big chunk of the beginning, but nope.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

Just watched it last night and came to the same opinion basically. I appreciated that it's not 3 hours long like every movie seems to be nowadays, but on the other hand it might be a bit too stripped down. The thing with the girlfriend might as well not be there the slippers aren't much of a payoff and I didn't even get the cook's name so that went nowhere too. Maybe a few scenes set during the training he was talking about could've helped. The combat was at least decently tense and entertaining, so I was glad to watch a straightforward WWII movie for once.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Agreed The Old Guard is decent but nothing special. I do wonder what the point of making it was considering, like everyone else has said, it’s basically a backdoor pilot.

Just finished the pilot of Warrior Nun. In the genre of supernatural shows with teens/young adults, I like it about as much as I did the pilot of Sabrina and more than Umbrella Academy. I never could never tell how old Ambrose was supposed to be. He looks 23 but apparently he’s the same age as Sabrina?

e: episode 2 come on writers, the Higgs field is what gives mass to particles, it wouldn’t produce wormholes

e: The lead’s American accent is so good it’s actually a bit distracting compared to the rest of the cast. Like, is she supposed to be American?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 12, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Palm Springs on hulu is really good. Go in blind like I did

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I liked The Old Guard a lot and would definitely be interested in a few sequels. Maybe not great but a respectable 7/10. The action was pretty drat solid and I thought the characters had good chemistry.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

magiccarpet posted:

The Old Guard is a surprisingly well made movie for something on Netflix. I paid movie theater money to watch Atomic Blonde and this is virtually on par. The production is up there with that Triple Frontier movie they put out last year.

I thought Old Guard was way less interesting than Atomic Blonde and the fight scenes were way less impressive. I was kinda bored by it and felt the story didn't have much depth to it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vivarium is on Prime. Highly recommend.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Very funny and also sweet. Great date night movie for quarantine.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

precision posted:

Spoilers that aren't really spoilers if you've seen the trailers or read anything about it:

I thought it did the time-loop thing ok, but I guess I was a little disappointed that it didn't have the emotional punch that Russian Doll did. Then again, Russian Doll had the benefit of many more hours to develop its story...

Also, J.K. Simmons was criminally under-used.

---

Watched Greyhound tonight. Competent but rather lean war story. Not much character development but entertaining.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

precision posted:

I really appreciate an 1:30 movie but the ending was super abrupt. Completely agree that JK Simmons was underused. Cristin Militoli is great in everything.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Little late but I couldn't believe how extremely awful the BBC miniseries of War of the Worlds was. It's so, so bad.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

I thought Old Guard was way less interesting than Atomic Blonde and the fight scenes were way less impressive. I was kinda bored by it and felt the story didn't have much depth to it.

I thought there was some great fight choreography but it was just filmed/edited in a way that didn't quite make it stand out. The Highlander thing was a good idea but I also felt they should've done something more with it. Anyway, it's a pretty fun action flick, no regrets watching it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tim Whatley posted:

Little late but I couldn't believe how extremely awful the BBC miniseries of War of the Worlds was. It's so, so bad.

The one that was on Epix? I thought that was a French production, but yeah, it sucked, especially the cliffhanger

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I heard there was also a French one, but this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-yas0yPbLU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tim Whatley posted:

That actually looks better than the French one lol

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tim Whatley posted:

As someone who has probably read the original 30 or 40 times, I stopped watching after the first episode. It was terrible.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hulus got No Holds Barred. Its aged well.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Kaidan: Piece of Darkness on Amazon Prime was actually pretty great. Usually these anthology type Japanese horror movies look cheap as poo poo (which sometimes works in its favor) but they got dp that really understands how to frame a horror shot.

Plus it's 10 stories, with only 2 or 3 stinkers, and some really excellent ones. I find Japanese horror movies tend to have terrible pacing and outstays its welcome with few exceptions, and the anthologies really give you the best scares for your buck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think Palm Springs might be my favorite movie of the year? No fat, clear fun, great cast. A romp for all seasons.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

Kaidan: Piece of Darkness on Amazon Prime was actually pretty great. Usually these anthology type Japanese horror movies look cheap as poo poo (which sometimes works in its favor) but they got dp that really understands how to frame a horror shot.

Plus it's 10 stories, with only 2 or 3 stinkers, and some really excellent ones. I find Japanese horror movies tend to have terrible pacing and outstays its welcome with few exceptions, and the anthologies really give you the best scares for your buck.

Hell yeah I'll have to check this out because this is exactly how I feel about J Horror as well.

Speaking of, Ju On: Origins was pretty meh. Felt like a 90 minute movie stretched into 6, 30 minute episodes. It had it's moments but a lot of the time I found it boring and sort of confusing. It's barely even horror tbh. Still, it wasn't terrible. It was shot well with a decent cast and could be decently creepy from time to time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Class Warcraft posted:

Spoilers that aren't really spoilers if you've seen the trailers or read anything about it:

I thought it did the time-loop thing ok, but I guess I was a little disappointed that it didn't have the emotional punch that Russian Doll did. Then again, Russian Doll had the benefit of many more hours to develop its story...

Also, J.K. Simmons was criminally under-used.

---

Watched Greyhound tonight. Competent but rather lean war story. Not much character development but entertaining.
Yeah the part at the end when Andy Samberg and Cristin Millioti confront each other and declare their love, it noticeably lacked impact.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Palm Springs was excellent. And here's a review I found from Captain Quantum Physics on Letterbox.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Peacock is live. To answer my question from earlier, all seven seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents are, indeed, free. BUT! The Alfred Hitchcock Hour isn't.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I dug through the catalog. It’s pretty bad. Some highlights but nowhere as deep as Disney+ or HBO Max. A lot of the content on Peacock was purchased Netflix style which is sad considering the stuff that NBCU has in its stable.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Edward Mass posted:

Peacock is live. To answer my question from earlier, all seven seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents are, indeed, free. BUT! The Alfred Hitchcock Hour isn't.

Interesting. I had to go check this since I have Comcast and it is free for me. Just one ad.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Palm Springs was pretty enjoyable. Movie theaters are never coming back.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

Palm Springs was pretty enjoyable. Movie theaters are never coming back.

Not in the $26 per ticket or whatever way it was heading, it's either going to be all dinner theater or all $5 and movies themselves will have to have lower budgets, maybe?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Which sucks so much. Comedies for one need to be watched in a crowd, it really heightens their enjoyment. It's a wonderful experience to share a laugh with a room full of strangers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Which sucks so much. Comedies for one need to be watched in a crowd, it really heightens their enjoyment. It's a wonderful experience to share a laugh with a room full of strangers.

Wow, I could not disagree more. Nothing makes comedy fall flat for me like being in a theater where everyone is laughing loudly and I miss dialogue because of it

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I will say that a certain type of horror movie is a different experience with a crowd. Movies with a bunch of jump scares can be fun if the crowd is gasping and reacting along with you. However, a lot of good atmospheric horror can be absolutely ruined by something like a person with a crackly candy bag wrapper or something like that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm looking at Peacock since I have xfinity and all and it seems like...fine I guess for zero dollars, I can watch Psych, that's always fun, and like mentioned there's some genuine classics like the Hitchcock stuff but man this is a sad library.

Also it seems to just...not work if you have dual monitors set up? I spent like an hour looking for a workaround to the 'please unplug your remote monitor' error before just doing it and being able to watch it. Why on earth would they even give a poo poo?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Jolo posted:

I will say that a certain type of horror movie is a different experience with a crowd. Movies with a bunch of jump scares can be fun if the crowd is gasping and reacting along with you. However, a lot of good atmospheric horror can be absolutely ruined by something like a person with a crackly candy bag wrapper or something like that.
Agree. I have been lucky a few times though - the quietest auditoriums I've ever been in were It Comes at Night and (predictably) A Quiet Place.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Saw one of the Lord of the Rings movies with a bunch of friends and while my friends were annoyed, I was highly entertained by this loud dumb lady who was sitting behind us.

"Who's Gondor??"

*regarding Gollum*
"Eww, he's ugly.... buuuuut he's kinda cute too"

We still ask who Gondor is to one another. I know this is a "you had to have been there" thing but poo poo, the delivery of "Who's Gondor??" will always be funny to me. It wasn't even whispered at all, just spoken at full volume in a quiet room hahaha.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I was slightly annoyed at the chatty old people behind me during Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but it was redeemed when right after the flamethrower comes out I hear one of them earnestly ask "Oh, but that's not how that really happened?...Right?"

Also, yeah, I would like to like Peacock, but it just seems barren. Like, almost Tubi levels of iffy interface and very little that I'd really want to watch. Psych's the only standout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was at an advance screening of The Neon Demon and a guy said out loud right about here, "I don't get it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0zkUbRyNo&t=137s