Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Lost is Extremely Good Actually.

It really is. I rewatched it earlier this year and it absolutely held up.

It's free with ads on IMDB TV if anyone hasn't seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Simone Magus posted:

It really is. I rewatched it earlier this year and it absolutely held up.

It's free with ads on IMDB TV if anyone hasn't seen it

Damon Lindelof is not a name I really knew but then I watched The Leftovers. Re-watching it all of the gut punches and twists seem really dumb. But the first time it was incredible.

I would assume Lost is similar there.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lost was good for 1 season before the writers became completely unable to restrain themselves and ended up creating plots via madlibs that make no sense or never see resolution.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lost is really good and then depending on the viewer either gets progressively better or progressively worse.

Nearly every one I've known who binged it instead of watching live had a much more positive impression without all the delays, false starts, teases, and speculation.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm currently watching Watchmen on HBO and hoping that the plot threads connect in some meaningful way and not "tune in next season to find out what happens next!" Lost dangled that carrot for longer than I stayed interested.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jolo posted:

I'm currently watching Watchmen on HBO and hoping that the plot threads connect in some meaningful way and not "tune in next season to find out what happens next!" Lost dangled that carrot for longer than I stayed interested.

They do connect, keep watching.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jolo posted:

The only people who seemed disappointed by that one seemed to hold the line that the comic was better. Or the first movie.

Ridiculous villain! Not in my graphic novel adaptation. No thanks.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Good to hear! I've enjoyed it so far. Rereading the comic for the first time in probably 13 years and getting way more out of it. 20ish me thought Rorschach was a cool gritty detective but 30ish me realizes how much he sucks as he complains about welfare queens and how he'll have to investigate a characters possible homosexuality.

It holds up incredibly well but I highly disagree with the back of the book blurb about "if you've never read a graphic novel start with Watchmen." It benefits greatly from reading other comics first to see the contrast between the characters in Watchmen and typical superheroes.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It sounded better in my head but:

Jesus - Jesús (Hey Zeus) -> Hispanic -> Bodega

Superman tee = Godspell (He wears it)

Just living up to the site's motto I guess

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Lost is Extremely Good Actually.

I was super into it when it was airing, followed all the threads here as we all tried to figure out the mysteries, introduced many friends to the show and sat with them as they watched each season and became equally obsessed with the show. Then the final season aired and I felt really upset that many of the stories they set up never played out, and that it was very clear that they never really had a plan like they claimed to have. So despite having watched the show many times over in the past, I never went back after the finale.

Then quarantine happened, and I rewatched it. While it's still clear that they never really had a plan, it's still a loving great show. The characters are great, the action and suspense are gripping, and even if the overall story isn't super coherent, it's still a lot of fun. I can really appreciate how the show really laid the ground for serialized storytelling that we have today in television, and creators telling networks when they want to end the show.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
They had as much of a plan as you could running a 121 episode scifi TV show on ABC in 2004-2010.

And they did a god drat great job.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I dislike the ultimate theme(s) that Lost is driving at with the ending in mind, but that isn't the same as it being incoherent or failing to follow through. But if you want a long-running mystery series that ends with an endorsement of ostensibly non-denominational (but in reality it's obviously Christian) faith it's got you covered.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think part of my issue with Lost was that they kept on talking about how they were really inspired by The Dark Tower, and then they just dropped it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

Lost is really good and then depending on the viewer either gets progressively better or progressively worse.

Nearly every one I've known who binged it instead of watching live had a much more positive impression without all the delays, false starts, teases, and speculation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrvTQ68zVo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Island Nation posted:

It sounded better in my head but:

Jesus - Jesús (Hey Zeus) -> Hispanic -> Bodega

Superman tee = Godspell (He wears it)

Just living up to the site's motto I guess

:psyduck: Am I being trolled here?!?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lost was good for 1 season before the writers became completely unable to restrain themselves and ended up creating plots via madlibs that make no sense or never see resolution.

I feel like the "plots never see resolution" narrative is overblown and that most people touting it would be hard pressed to name even a few that had any significance to the show. One wildcard to this, though, is that real world circumstances seemed to play a part in forcing changes; namely, a key actor who evidently was going to be a huge part of the story abruptly quit the show (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), the two actresses who had that weird DUI and maybe something else going on were also abruptly written out, the actor playing Walt grew like 8 inches overnight and his character didn't work anymore, and there may be another one of these that I'm forgetting...

Edit: Conversely, sometimes it works in the other way, such as expanding Michael Emerson's character, which was perhaps supposed to be only a one or two episode storyline but they realized the actor was fantastic, unless I'm remembering that wrong.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 18, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

One wildcard to this, though, is that real world circumstances seemed to play a part in forcing changes; namely, a key actor who evidently was going to be a huge part of the story abruptly quit the show (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), the two actresses who had that weird DUI and maybe something else going on were also abruptly written out, the actor playing Walt grew like 8 inches overnight and his character didn't work anymore, and there may be another one of these that I'm forgetting...
As someone who hasn't seen the show and would potentially consider watching it in 2021, "it's not their fault that they had to change some stuff that resulted in the show making less sense overall" is not a very persuasive argument.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Synchronicity is a good premise that falters under subpar writing. Anthony Mackie does his best, tho. I wouldn’t mind seeing some better writers take another stab at it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Sand Monster posted:

I feel like the "plots never see resolution" narrative is overblown and that most people touting it would be hard pressed to name even a few that had any significance to the show.

There are a million write ups online naming the dozens of nonsensical or unresolved plotlines / show elements. You've included an out for yourself here with "significance to the show" but the inference that it's fine for a show to have numerous plot holes or unresolved storylines as long as they aren't significant is pretty amusing (and indicative of the defenses the show's fans tend to throw out).

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

There are a million write ups online naming the dozens of nonsensical or unresolved plotlines / show elements. You've included an out for yourself here with "significance to the show" but the inference that it's fine for a show to have numerous plot holes or unresolved storylines as long as they aren't significant is pretty amusing (and indicative of the defenses the show's fans tend to throw out).

Yeah there's tons of plots that go absolutely nowhere, like the thing with pregnant women dying on the island. It does work a lot better when you binge watch it because you can more quickly forget dead ends and move on to the next mystery.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Saying "only storylines that aren't significant to the show were dropped" is basically a tautology.

A better argument would be along the lines of "a lot of storylines were dropped but the show still works/is fun/is worth watching overall"

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

Yeah there's tons of plots that go absolutely nowhere, like the thing with pregnant women dying on the island. It does work a lot better when you binge watch it because you can more quickly forget dead ends and move on to the next mystery.

I guess I can't draw the apparently obvious distinction between a mystery and a plot. Perhaps my ignorance on this is at the root of my misconception then.

mystes posted:

... "it's not their fault that they had to change some stuff that resulted in the show making less sense overall" is not a very persuasive argument.

Apparently not, though I don't know what acceptable alternative there is other than re-casting the role which they evidently felt was not the way to go, and not knowing exactly what they had planned originally it's difficult to assess how much of a mistake that was.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

I guess I can't draw the apparently obvious distinction between a mystery and a plot. Perhaps my ignorance on this is at the root of my misconception then.

There's no difference, it's just that you get less invested in the Walt subplot or whatever when you blow past it in a few days rather than obsessing over it in AIM chat rooms for months.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Apparently not, though I don't know what acceptable alternative there is other than re-casting the role which they evidently felt was not the way to go, and not knowing exactly what they had planned originally it's difficult to assess how much of a mistake that was.
I realize that there may have been various circumstances so maybe it's overly harsh to criticize the creators for some of this stuff. However, as someone reading this thread in 2021 I would find it more helpful if you could go more into explaining why the show is actually good rather than just explaining why it was unavoidable that it couldn't be better.

As long as by saying the dropped plotlines aren't important you really just mean that the overall plot and ending are satisfactory despite that then that's a perfectly good answer?

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 18, 2021

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Retrowave Joe posted:

Synchronicity is a good premise that falters under subpar writing. Anthony Mackie does his best, tho. I wouldn’t mind seeing some better writers take another stab at it.

Yeah, I was really hoping to like Synchronic given how much I enjoyed the previous Benson and Moorhead movies. Those relied more on implying what was going on than outright stating it, which I both liked in general and may have covered up some writing limitations exposed by all the blunt exposition in this one.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:psyduck: Am I being trolled here?!?

Like I said, it sounded better in my head

Anyway car crash posting aside, caught Nomadland on Hulu. Felt more like a documentary than a work of fiction and left me indifferent. There are better films to watch than this so it’ll win all the Oscars next week because Disney demands it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For all the fair and unfair criticisms and defense of Lost I find "we didn't know Walt's actor might experience puberty" to be a poor one.

Ultimately I think it speaks to Lost's "problem". They seemed to rarely think things out long term, instead chasing the short term thrill of the mystery and twist. That's fun. Eventually it can get annoying if you start to feel its a tease or a crutch. You definitely end up spending a good chunk of Lost following threads that don't really end up mattering or don't get resolved. That they don't matter in the end isn't inherently a defense. Its still a question of whether the time spent with them is worth it or if it hurts the overall flow.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 18, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Aglet56 posted:

Yeah there's tons of plots that go absolutely nowhere, like the thing with pregnant women dying on the island.

While that wasn't explicitly explained, it's definitely not true that that "plot" "went nowhere". And there are plenty of possible explanations, especially:

the island is literally magic and was created/overseen by a woman who had two kids and went completely loving insane, so maybe the island just hates motherhood and kids

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Ultimately I think it speaks to Lost's "problem". They seemed to rarely think things out long term, instead chasing the short term thrill of the mystery and twist.

I think a decent amount of that can be blamed on the fact that it was a massively popular network drama in the days when everything had 22+ episode seasons. I’m pretty sure Abrams said they really had to push to end the show when they did because otherwise ABC would have been happy to just keep going until they ran it into the ground. I can see how it would be hard to write a cogent and satisfying long-term story if you don’t know when it’s going to end because the network keeps demanding more.

That’s why I’m happy to see a lot more limited and anthology series these days. Turns out you really can tell a better story if you’re able to plan it out beforehand and not have to add in a bunch of filler, who’d have thought!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I started playing a tabletop RPG over the internet with friends last year, and the way we generate oddball environmental prompts with dice and figure out how to shoehorn outcomes into our make believe world makes me feel like a LOST showrunner.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

wizardofloneliness posted:

I think a decent amount of that can be blamed on the fact that it was a massively popular network drama in the days when everything had 22+ episode seasons. I’m pretty sure Abrams said they really had to push to end the show when they did because otherwise ABC would have been happy to just keep going until they ran it into the ground. I can see how it would be hard to write a cogent and satisfying long-term story if you don’t know when it’s going to end because the network keeps demanding more.

That’s why I’m happy to see a lot more limited and anthology series these days. Turns out you really can tell a better story if you’re able to plan it out beforehand and not have to add in a bunch of filler, who’d have thought!

Certainly that played a factor and it might be a "chicken or the egg" type of situation. Did Lost drag out stories and add contrivances to meet the network scheduling demands or did they use those demands to justify just kind of winging it sometimes? Or maybe a bit of both?

But "we didn't anticipate Walt experiencing puberty" still feels like a "the dog ate my homework" level excuse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah its apparent that the show didnt know what it was doing by the end of the first season.

But it had good actors, ACTING. Amd the show was good about someone getting shot in the head if things were slowing down

So if you find that appealing, watch Lost I guess. Alot better stuff is out there tho

E: just thought of Patton Oswalt explaining why he gave up on Lost, and there being magical rebirthing chambers to revive characters, and him just knowing that the writers used it as a way to end work and go home that day.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, for all my problems with it there's great character stuff, the show always maintained tension, and lots of people did like the directions it took. So you know. Its your call.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Lost becomes total Philip K Dick level nonsense and :catdrugs: by season 5, by which point most people were invested enough to just roll with it, I guess

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Just as a reminder to those who haven't watched it, Raised by Wolves on HBO Max is a wild ride.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Nihonniboku posted:

Just as a reminder to those who haven't watched it, Raised by Wolves on HBO Max is a wild ride.

I need season 2 now NOW, NOW. I just loved space Ragnar.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Desperado Bones posted:

I need season 2 now NOW, NOW. I just loved space Ragnar.

Have they started filming?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

I cannot second this enough. Right up to the credits.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

:yeah:

It's fuckin bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hated lost by the third season but Raised by Wolves is one of my 2 favorite shows on TV right now and people compare the two a lot. Idk if I just watched Lost in the wrong mindset or the psychedelic sci fi setting makes me more open to weird questions having even weirder answers.

People always complain about how Raised by Wolves is just making poo poo up as they go along but I've found the whole thing very satisfying and have felt like most of the plot threads have come together in an interesting way. it's just not going to give people the hard sci-fi cut and dry answers they want. It's a trippy fantasy show idk what people are expecting.