Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Aglet56 posted:

Jared Harris is so cool that I feel like I need to prepare a contingency plan for if/when he evinces some lovely opinion

Just to be safe, nobody ask him about Prince Charles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ended up watching Nobody on a recommendation, and holy poo poo I absolutely loathed it. It's pretty obviously aiming to be a somewhat more lighthearted/less serious take on John Wick. And to it's credit, it does have some solid action and manages to land the occasional chuckle.

But goddamn the plot is just a mess. The whole movie boils down to the protagonist being called a pussy at the start, and then shooting a whole bunch of people to prove them wrong. At one point, a car full of utterly random Russian gangsters rolls in out of nowhere for the sole purpose of giving him an acceptable set of targets to brutalise. Basically, imagine a stereotypical guy in his midlife crisis constantly fantasizing about getting into fights where he could show the whole world that he's totally a secret badass who can gently caress up all the bad guys. That's it. That's the whole movie.

Sure, pretty much action or revenge movie has aspects of a power fantasy. But this one is just nothing but. The entire plot just exists in service of wanking the protagonist.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

feedmyleg posted:

I find that it makes a lot of blockbusters worse. You see through the illusion too easily and it just looks like the cynically-constructed product it is. Watching those same movies drunk, though, and you have a good time and don't care about any of that.

I thought I was the only one. I can't watch dramas or action movies when I'm high because all I see are people reciting lines, it totally sucks all the life out of whatever movie I'm watching. Comedies are a little better, but not always.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Okay I'm getting high af and watching Beyond Skyline so I hope you jerks aren't kidding!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Synchronic started off super strong, and gave me some serious Fincher levels of creepy gross crime scenes. It felt like it leaned into its heart way too much for its premise, and was worse off for it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Rush is on Netflix, and everyone should watch it. Chris Hemsworth and Daniel bruhl in some car racing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Synchronic started off super strong, and gave me some serious Fincher levels of creepy gross crime scenes. It felt like it leaned into its heart way too much for its premise, and was worse off for it.

It was so good and it so thoroughly didn't stick the landing. I'd still say watch it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It was so good and it so thoroughly didn't stick the landing. I'd still say watch it.

Yeah agreed. It gave me Annihilation vibes in parts. Good acting on display

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I only recently watched Borat 2, and found that the whole bit had turned more into a horror with not-that-funny gross-out bits thrown in primarily to show us how conservatives are uncomfortable sad deplorables. The serious parts did land, and I think it was genuinely cool and good to bust Giuliani in particular in that way, but very little of the comedy worked for me.

But Bad Trip felt like almost a rebuttal to that movie, where they travel many of the same spaces but instead show off how even two Black guys can roam around doing absolutely insane stuff and people will act like real humans, often in surprisingly thoughtful and respectful ways, in response. I was really surprised how positive I felt by the end.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Ended up watching Nobody on a recommendation, and holy poo poo I absolutely loathed it. It's pretty obviously aiming to be a somewhat more lighthearted/less serious take on John Wick. And to it's credit, it does have some solid action and manages to land the occasional chuckle.

But goddamn the plot is just a mess. The whole movie boils down to the protagonist being called a pussy at the start, and then shooting a whole bunch of people to prove them wrong. At one point, a car full of utterly random Russian gangsters rolls in out of nowhere for the sole purpose of giving him an acceptable set of targets to brutalise. Basically, imagine a stereotypical guy in his midlife crisis constantly fantasizing about getting into fights where he could show the whole world that he's totally a secret badass who can gently caress up all the bad guys. That's it. That's the whole movie.

Sure, pretty much action or revenge movie has aspects of a power fantasy. But this one is just nothing but. The entire plot just exists in service of wanking the protagonist.

That's my take. It's John Wick, except the "wrong time, wrong place, wrong person" incident is so much dumber. By the end his badassery amounts to him getting very lucky to not get hit by bullets fired from automatic weapons while he's standing in the middle a large room and goons are shooting from all sides. Which would be good for a parody, but the movie is played completely straight — even when it's leaning so hard into every cliche that you think you must have missed a punchline somewhere.

There's no surprises, none at all. Everything that could count as one is strongly hinted with zero subtlety at least a scene before it happens, so you know what's coming. Even the first scene of the movie ruins any kind of "go in blind" appeal this might have.

It does have some okay jokes, and a pretty good car chase scene. Christopher Lloyd doesn't look like he has many acting gigs left in him, but he's happy to be there.

iMDB says it was Bob Odenkirk's idea from when he locked some home invaders in his basement and the cops handled it poorly and he fantasized about how he would have handled it, so yeah, it's pent up middle-aged guy power fantasy.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It's understandable especially when you consider some of his feats as a younger man:

https://youtu.be/VdIDwYW_JZg

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

meanolmrcloud posted:

The characters were really terribly written and had absolutely no chemistry together. The movie was a real slog for me and but at least the first 45min had an intentional style going even if I didn't like it. When the protagonist broke out a white board to help convey the "rules" of the McGuffin is when the movie lost me. Would not recommend!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Asnorban posted:

I would start at 1. It’s not too long, and I think the show gets more fun as you know the teams and racers and understand the drama a bit more.

That said, it doesn’t *really* matter.

Finally got around to watching this (F1: Drive to Survive) and definitely agree. Really enjoying the show but as someone who doesn’t follow F1, later seasons would have “spoilers” for the twists and turns of drivers and teams in the earlier seasons. If you follow F1, it probably doesn’t matter, but you are likely not the target audience.

I kinda wish other sports would do similar series. NFL has Hard Knocks but it always feels low stakes since it’s the preseason for one team.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Mark Neale has done some MotoGP movies that have the races and drama of a season edited into one longer documentary.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I have to be honest I am struggling to finish the last few eps of Raised by Wolves. It kinda fell into a stalemate where theres like only a few characters and like 1 set and it felt like the creators didnt want tl change the status quo too much.

The first couple of eps are fuckong great tho. Bonkers.

Also didnt reqlly get Ragner's massive character change.

You know whats a show that keeps its foot on the gas and keeps speeding to its satisfying season finale?

Zerozerozero. Are they making a 2nd season? How?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Anthony Mackie is a charisma black hole. Altered Carbon S2 should have been good. Synchronicity should have been good. But he's just no fun to watch.

Zerozerozero is one of the only Covid watches that really stuck with me. Although I wish Mogwai had a few more tunes for it - when you stream back to back to back the main motif gets very repetitious.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

magiccarpet posted:

Anthony Mackie is a charisma black hole. Altered Carbon S2 should have been good. Synchronicity should have been good. But he's just no fun to watch.

Zerozerozero is one of the only Covid watches that really stuck with me. Although I wish Mogwai had a few more tunes for it - when you stream back to back to back the main motif gets very repetitious.

Or both those were terrible with any cast

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Mackie was really good in the Hurt Locker but all his post-Marvel stuff is completely on autopilot.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

smackfu posted:

Finally got around to watching this (F1: Drive to Survive) and definitely agree. Really enjoying the show but as someone who doesn’t follow F1, later seasons would have “spoilers” for the twists and turns of drivers and teams in the earlier seasons. If you follow F1, it probably doesn’t matter, but you are likely not the target audience.

I kinda wish other sports would do similar series. NFL has Hard Knocks but it always feels low stakes since it’s the preseason for one team.

Amazon has a show called All or Nothing that follows one team throughout an entire season. I've only watched the NFL seasons, but they also have one college football season, a few various soccer seasons, one rugby and one ice hockey. The football ones are good (especially if you like the team). I'll get around to the rest some day.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

magiccarpet posted:

I’d disagree, knowing performances are subjective. His Marvel work is good, and his chemistry with Sebastian Stan feels natural. You can tell they’re friends. He was fine in The Hurt Locker and We Are Marshall too. To me it’s more reasonable that Synchronic and Altered Carbon season 2 were just poorly written.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Shageletic posted:

I have to be honest I am struggling to finish the last few eps of Raised by Wolves. It kinda fell into a stalemate where theres like only a few characters and like 1 set and it felt like the creators didnt want tl change the status quo too much.

The first couple of eps are fuckong great tho. Bonkers.

Also didnt reqlly get Ragner's massive character change.

It really drags towards the end, but the actual last episode has some... interesting stuff in it. It almost felt like they were apologizing for how drab it got and cranked the weirdness off the scale.

I’ll watch S2 but I feel like it could easily become unwatchable either from being too boring or too bizarre.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Retrowave Joe posted:

I’d disagree, knowing performances are subjective. His Marvel work is good, and his chemistry with Sebastian Stan feels natural. You can tell they’re friends. He was fine in The Hurt Locker and We Are Marshall too. To me it’s more reasonable that Synchronic and Altered Carbon season 2 were just poorly written.

Yeah, season 1 AC already had the issue that Kovacs is just not a particularly fun or interesting character. It was largely carried by good secondary characters, intriguing plot, and unique setting. Then season 2 came along and it was basically all Kovacs all the time, whose writing had gotten even worse in that he was constantly being an rear end in a top hat one of the few remaining good secondary characters.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I liked Mackie in the movie where Ryan gosling is a crack smoking elementary teacher. He was terrible as 2pac in the biggie movie though, didn’t even try to sound like him. Those are the only 2 movies I’ve seen him in outside of marvel.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Mackie's greatest role will always be bullying Eminem

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Altered Carbon season 2 really felt like good writers being forced to dumb things down, probably based on some impenetrable analytics. Bet you could take the script and have it hit peak threshold of some specific reading level

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really enjoyed the first season because I'm a sucker for cyberpunk, but between the constant incredibly tedious freedom fighter flashbacks and the series going full anime like 3/4 of the way through with the sister, I'm fine leaving season 2 on the table. It's one of those shows where you can see that the showrunner is interested in different things in the material than you are, kinda like The Witcher.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I really enjoyed the first season because I'm a sucker for cyberpunk, but between the constant incredibly tedious freedom fighter flashbacks and the series going full anime like 3/4 of the way through with the sister, I'm fine leaving season 2 on the table. It's one of those shows where you can see that the showrunner is interested in different things in the material than you are, kinda like The Witcher.

Is there even a 3rd season planned? Feels like most ppl side with you.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Seconding the love for Zerozerozero

Watched it weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shageletic posted:

Is there even a 3rd season planned? Feels like most ppl side with you.

It got cancelled.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

kaworu posted:

It's actually kind of even more hosed than that - here's an article that kinda goes over the interview I think you were talking about :

https://collider.com/damon-lindelof-lost-original-ending-plan/

It's really fascinating to hear about this stuff, and what actually went down. It seems pretty clear that if Lindelof had his way the show would have ended in 3-4 seasons at the most.

yep that's it, thanks for finding it! Damon actually seems like a cool dude overall, and I'm interested to see what he puts out next, despite finding Lost a clusterfuck.

tweet my meat posted:

Rotten Tomatoes is the only site that accurately quantifies the objective level of quality for a given movie. I don't watch any movies below 70% because that's a failing grade. Only tool you need to determine if a movie is good or bad.

I know you're joking but honestly people would benefit from going back to the old timey method, which is finding a single critic that has the same taste as them and just following their advice, rather than depending on some weird amalgam of reviews that is usually misinterpreted

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I know you're joking but there's some real gems in the 30-40% movies.

The problem with RT is that people mentally associate a RT score with a grade, when it’s a percentage of critics that have essentially just stated “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” so if a movie is really divisive it might have a 50% or whatever. And people will associate that with an F. But really a low score can potentially mean that some people will love it and some will hate it.

It’s a convenient tool for avoiding really bad movies, but it’s otherwise worthless.

On the flip side there are TONS of mediocre as gently caress movies sitting with extremely high scores just because critics collectively went “yeah that was decent”. Like, a bunch of marvel movies are sitting in the 90s when at best, a marvel movie is a C movie.

mystes
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

The problem with RT is that people mentally associate a RT score with a grade, when it’s a percentage of critics that have essentially just stated “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” so if a movie is really divisive it might have a 50% or whatever. And people will associate that with an F. But really a low score can potentially mean that some people will love it and some will hate it.

It’s a convenient tool for avoiding really bad movies, but it’s otherwise worthless.

On the flip side there are TONS of mediocre as gently caress movies sitting with extremely high scores just because critics collectively went “yeah that was decent”. Like, a bunch of marvel movies are sitting in the 90s when at best, a marvel movie is a C movie.
It's good if you just want to know if a movie is watchable and don't care how good critics think it is beyond that.

I don't think marvel movies are great but if I want to know whether I'll at least be able to sit through one without turning it off, I don't really care that you think they deserve a c.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alternatively, don't let a number or grade inform the decision of whether or not you want to see a film that you have an actual interest in seeing. If it turns out to be bad, then whatever, you lost ~2 hours or less and can at least talk about how your expectations were disappointed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hadn't heard of Desierto despite it coming out in 2015, but I checked it out on Hulu and thought it was a tight as hell little triller with great direction, even if the plot beats are pretty familiar. Jeffrey Dean Morgan kills it and Gael García Bernal put in a great performance too. The direction and training of the dog was pretty impressive.

mystes posted:

It's good if you just want to know if a movie is watchable and don't care how good critics think it is beyond that.

I don't think marvel movies are great but if I want to know whether I'll at least be able to sit through one without turning it off, I don't really care that you think they deserve a c.

The point is that it can be useful as a tool, but people treat it like a grade when it's not. But at times it can also be a bad tool by misleading people, since aggregating doesn't give any insight into how good or bad something is, despite appearing to because of the % number attached.

I'm not even saying that to dog on the Marvel movies. I'm just using them as a prime example of cookie cutter hollywood stuff. For the most part they are all sort of by the numbers Blockbuster fare, but they are generally competently made so critical opinions skew positive, which often leaves them with almost perfect RT scores. Something more divisive isn't going to end up with that outcome.

For the most part RT is pretty useful, I'm just saying the way people perceive and use it is often flawed.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 21, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ok, I finally decided to check out Apple +. I figured I'd exhaust their limited content for a month or two and then cancel. I started Ted Lasso last night, which as everyone has said, is fantastic, and I have absolutely 0 interest in sports. But I really like that they gave so many of these characters so much nuance and depth when they could have just been very one note.

What else on Apple + should I check out? I know I want to check out the Sophia Coppola Bill Murray movie.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Depending on your tolerance for musicals I say check out Central Park, I think it's really great.

e: new seasons of Ted Lasso on July 23rd and Central Park drop on June 25th, too.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 21, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
If you liked The Secret of Kells, Wolfwalkers is pretty good and an Apple+ exclusive, at least for now.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Are the last two seasons of Friday Night Dinner available anywhere if I'm in the US? Prime only has the first four

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm 2 episodes into Wolf Hall on Amazon Prime and it's fantastic so far. Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell and Damian Lewis as Henry VIII. It's a more serious version of the Tudors and the acting is top shelf. It's what I wanted the Tudors to be. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Glottis posted:

I know you're joking but honestly people would benefit from going back to the old timey method, which is finding a single critic that has the same taste as them and just following their advice, rather than depending on some weird amalgam of reviews that is usually misinterpreted
If you want something that does this automatically, Criticker is perfect. It doesn't find one critic - instead it calculates how similar everyone's taste is to your own, then predicts your rating for movies based on how people with similar tastes rate those movies. It's eerily accurate for me.