Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

What else on Apple + should I check out? I know I want to check out the Sophia Coppola Bill Murray movie.

I liked the Beastie Boys movie. The new Billie Eilish one is also interesting although it’s overly long and a bit intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Ok, I finally decided to check out Apple +. I figured I'd exhaust their limited content for a month or two and then cancel. I started Ted Lasso last night, which as everyone has said, is fantastic, and I have absolutely 0 interest in sports. But I really like that they gave so many of these characters so much nuance and depth when they could have just been very one note.

What else on Apple + should I check out? I know I want to check out the Sophia Coppola Bill Murray movie.

Mythic Quest is both really funny and surprisingly touching, definitely recommended.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
I thought that the pitch of Rotten Tomatoes was that even though it just aggregates thumbs up/down reviews, the score that it produces works as a qualitative grade; 90% movies are supposed to be better than 80% which are better than 70%. My memory is that it came out around the same time that Nate Silver was getting his start with the 2008 election and everybody was starting to get excited about Big Data and the wisdom of crowds and all that poo poo.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
lmao no RT is way before that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aglet56 posted:

I thought that the pitch of Rotten Tomatoes was that even though it just aggregates thumbs up/down reviews, the score that it produces works as a qualitative grade; 90% movies are supposed to be better than 80% which are better than 70%. My memory is that it came out around the same time that Nate Silver was getting his start with the 2008 election and everybody was starting to get excited about Big Data and the wisdom of crowds and all that poo poo.

It doesn't work on a more nuanced scale because I'm personally more entertained when watching Paul W.S. Anderson's Mortal Kombat than when I'm watching Captain America Civil War. The numbers don't add up because there are more variables at play when it comes to judging film than just a hard percentage.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

teagone posted:

It doesn't work on a more nuanced scale because I'm personally more entertained when watching Paul W.S. Anderson's Mortal Kombat than when I'm watching Captain America Civil War. The numbers don't add up because there are more variables at play when it comes to judging film than just a hard percentage.

Right, it's a pretty silly concept, but I thought that was the idea. But as the poster above noted, RT apparently started in 1998 so I guess I'm wrong anyways.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

RT is great when you're trying to coordinate a family movie outing for a dozen people with wildly differing tastes and the only goal is to annoy the least amount of people.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching movies with other people? When would a goon ever run into that scenario :confused:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Enos Cabell posted:

RT is great when you're trying to coordinate a family movie outing for a dozen people with wildly differing tastes and the only goal is to annoy the least amount of people.

Rebrand Rotten Tomatoes as "Family Movie Night-O-Meter"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The last couple series I binged on Netflix started out OK, but ended ridiculously, and not in an entertaining way IMO, (Bodyguard, some Belgian murder mystery show). I watched Collateral (British police procedural gritty murder drama), and it was ok, in that it wasn't great, but didn't waste my time.

Any opinions on DARK, it's a German rural creepy show of some kind. Slow, oncoming dread, or writers' room running out of ideas and just flopping around like a dying fish?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Rotten Tomatoes is fantastic and their primary metric is leagues better at conveying useful information than their main peer Metacritic.

The problem is really that the website is a million years old and was designed before techy people had a good sense of how bad normal people are at actually *understanding* metrics, and how to design a website that anticipates and counteracts that.

The other problem is the notion of some sort of objective numerical signal of media quality is very quaint in 2021, the current culture is that everyone has their own personalized filter bubble and they just want to hear what opinions on movies they ought to have from reddit or fox news or a podcast or a streamer or

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

doctorfrog posted:

The last couple series I binged on Netflix started out OK, but ended ridiculously, and not in an entertaining way IMO, (Bodyguard, some Belgian murder mystery show). I watched Collateral (British police procedural gritty murder drama), and it was ok, in that it wasn't great, but didn't waste my time.

Any opinions on DARK, it's a German rural creepy show of some kind. Slow, oncoming dread, or writers' room running out of ideas and just flopping around like a dying fish?

I thought Dark was remarkable and its one of my favorite shows in recent memory but some people werent thrilled with season 3, but more relative to the quality of the first two seasons than "bad" in the general sense.

Personally I thought the entire show was phenomenal and the ending really hit me hard.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
12 person family movie night is one of the worst things I can imagine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

12 person family movie night is one of the worst things I can imagine.

It's not great! My folks love taking everyone out to the movies during the Christmas holidays, and splitting the group into two different movies is just unfathomable. I did catch up on a lot of sleep when the Hobbit movies were the least bad option 3 years running.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just use letterboxd :shrug: helps to see what friends and people you follow think, plus it's rare (with a few exceptions) to find something rated 3.5+ that i dont end up kinda liking.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

good news if you want to see spider man stuff on disney plus

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1384977041317978112

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AccountSupervisor posted:

I thought Dark was remarkable and its one of my favorite shows in recent memory but some people werent thrilled with season 3, but more relative to the quality of the first two seasons than "bad" in the general sense.

Personally I thought the entire show was phenomenal and the ending really hit me hard.

Thanks. First fifteen minutes looks promising. And the fact there's an end after 3 seasons is good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Vertical Lime posted:

good news if you want to see spider man stuff on disney plus

https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1384977041317978112

Is this the same deal Sony made with Netflix?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nihonniboku posted:

Is this the same deal Sony made with Netflix?

The tweet has a simple breakdown. When a new movie comes out it goes theater-->VOD-->Netflix-->Disney+ and more.

However, I think this just applies to movies so the Disney owned platforms will get their back catalog of movie and TV shows.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I started watching The Other Two on HBO max and it's phenomenal. Comedy about the struggling older siblings of a teen who is "legally distinct from Justin Bieber". It's got a lot of goon favorite actors, such as Ken Marino, Wanda Sykes, Molly Shannon, Richard Kind.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks. First fifteen minutes looks promising. And the fact there's an end after 3 seasons is good.

Also if you didnt already change it, absolutely change Netflix defaulting the terrible English dub to the natural German audio.

It is also a show I highly recommend having absolutely zero distractions during, its incredibly dense and gets really complicated, specifically with the characters. Not paying attention for part of a scene or missing a line of dialogue can really throw poo poo off. I found myself having to rewind scenes before just turning off my phone as a rule before watching.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Simone Magus posted:

I started watching The Other Two on HBO max and it's phenomenal. Comedy about the struggling older siblings of a teen who is "legally distinct from Justin Bieber". It's got a lot of goon favorite actors, such as Ken Marino, Wanda Sykes, Molly Shannon, Richard Kind.

I love The Other Two. The writing room is great, former SNL headwriters Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider, and comedians like Joel Kim Booster, Jordan Firstman, and Cole Escola.

Season 2 is coming.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Also if you didnt already change it, absolutely change Netflix defaulting the terrible English dub to the natural German audio.

It is also a show I highly recommend having absolutely zero distractions during, its incredibly dense and gets really complicated, specifically with the characters. Not paying attention for part of a scene or missing a line of dialogue can really throw poo poo off. I found myself having to rewind scenes before just turning off my phone as a rule before watching.

Roger that. I usually have the native language selected, unless the dub is known for being really good. Sounds like I'm in for something worth paying attention to, that'll be nice.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Depending on your tolerance for musicals I say check out Central Park, I think it's really great.

e: new seasons of Ted Lasso on July 23rd and Central Park drop on June 25th, too.

The new model is weekly. So if you actually want to binge Ted Lasso, you'll have to wait till September.

TV in the 2020's sucks.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Aglet56 posted:

Not really. The higher the RT%, the more mass appeal a movie has, but it doesn't mean you'll like it more. A very polarizing movie could be one that you absolutely love but only gets a 50% on there because half of the critics hated it.

RT = average of how often people generally like it (pass/fail)
Metacritic = average of how much people like it

Neither are objective or can directly predict how you will feel. Hence my comment earlier about finding an individual critic that enjoys the same kinds of movies to the same degree as you.

Simone Magus posted:

Just destroyed the whole season, it's amazing. I feel like it's got somewhat of Party Down vibes, but maybe that's just the Ken Marino element.

Drew Tarver is great and I hope he continues to get roles. His podcast appearances are fantastic. "Donny Gary" on Comedy Bang Bang kills me.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The new model is weekly. So if you actually want to binge Ted Lasso, you'll have to wait till September.

TV in the 2020's sucks.

I don't mind weekly releases, it keeps the conversation going and it's nice to have things to look forward to during the week. Plus you can always wait until the whole season is out and binge then if you prefer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I don't mind weekly releases, it keeps the conversation going and it's nice to have things to look forward to during the week. Plus you can always wait until the whole season is out and binge then if you prefer.
Conversely, there's nothing stopping you from watching one episode a week if they put an entire season up at once.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

mystes posted:

Conversely, there's nothing stopping you from watching one episode a week if they put an entire season up at once.

But it does mean you have to avoid spoilers, not engage in conversations, etc.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Glottis posted:

Drew Tarver is great and I hope he continues to get roles. His podcast appearances are fantastic. "Donny Gary" on Comedy Bang Bang kills me.

Don't forget Memphis Kansas Breeze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8MBUZjJX7Y

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

alllllll right Deadite

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, season 1 AC already had the issue that Kovacs is just not a particularly fun or interesting character. It was largely carried by good secondary characters, intriguing plot, and unique setting. Then season 2 came along and it was basically all Kovacs all the time, whose writing had gotten even worse in that he was constantly being an rear end in a top hat one of the few remaining good secondary characters.

Whose idea was it to televise a show where the central conceit is that everyone, including the main protagonist, gets recast all the time. I can't think of a concept more unsuited for visual storytelling. It's a maybe concept for a movie. With the right writer and set of actors it's almost doable. But absolutely not for a TV-show.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MiddleOne posted:

Whose idea was it to televise a show where the central conceit is that everyone, including the main protagonist, gets recast all the time. I can't think of a concept more unsuited for visual storytelling. It's a maybe concept for a movie. With the right writer and set of actors it's almost doable. But absolutely not for a TV-show.

That... wasn’t what the show did. There were reoccurring characters that were not recast. I don’t see a problem with it. It turns it into a pseudo-anthology show where each season is kind of it’s own thing.

If they made a season three I would have been disappointed if they kept Mackie (both because he wasn’t very good and because that seemed like this show’s Thing).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

david_a posted:

That... wasn’t what the show did. There were reoccurring characters that were not recast. I don’t see a problem with it. It turns it into a pseudo-anthology show where each season is kind of it’s own thing.

A fictional character in a tv-show or movie is more than just a name. It is mannerisms, it is development, it is tone, it is a living human being that resides in your head. Showrunners are terrified of re-casting actors because they know doing so puts the audience at the risk of being disassociated from the character. The last thing you want when you've spent precious screentime helping the audience form an emotional bond. To my mind, the only show to survive it was Spartacus.

When you have an already kinda mediocre and un-engaging character like Kovac, having re-casting as a central gimmick is a death sentence. Was Anthony Mackie boring in his portayal, maybe? Did the writing of the season suck, definitely. Did it help to throw these things together, absolutely not. I think it's extremely telling that everyone finds the character who's gimmick was being able to die without being re-cast compelling. It was idiotic to adapt such a high concept premise from text to visual without adjusting for how fundamentally different these mediums are.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I liked the not- Paul F. Tompkins hotel concierge in AC.

Any thoughts on Wolfwalkers? I see that it's streaming on Apple TV+, and the trailer looks magnificent
By the same studio that did Secret of Kells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Z_tybgPgg

Music by Aurora is always a plus as well.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Turambar posted:

Any thoughts on Wolfwalkers? I see that it's streaming on Apple TV+, and the trailer looks magnificent

I liked it a lot, definitely worth watching if you like Secret of Kells.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My wish is for there to be more traditional 2D animated films. 3D animation is fine, but it's crowded out 2D. Yes, I am that guy.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Simone Magus posted:

Just finished my rewatch of it. Just great. Lots of shows default to mean spirited for laughs. Not this one. The writing is top notch. Huge fan of Drew Tarver because of the Teacher's Lounge. Also Bajillion Dollar Properties. Ken Marino is great in everything. Find the move to HBOMax interesting.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wolfwalkers was legit great. Watch it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Turambar posted:

I'll watch anything to get us out of the "everything is based on Grimms" hellworld we are currently in. so in addition to being based on Irish folklore Wolfwalkers was legit awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

magiccarpet posted:

Anthony Mackie is a charisma black hole. Altered Carbon S2 should have been good. Synchronicity should have been good. But he's just no fun to watch.

Zerozerozero is one of the only Covid watches that really stuck with me. Although I wish Mogwai had a few more tunes for it - when you stream back to back to back the main motif gets very repetitious.

He's just miscast a lot. Like they keep trying to cast him in stoic cool Johnny 5 Aces type roles and he sucks at it. He's much better in more human roles with banter and comedy.