Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

LemonLimeSoda posted:

Watched this recently
Really wonderful send-up of classic film noir & great scenery chewing from Nicolas Cage. I havent seen 8MM but that's next on my list
I'm going to watch the 90s Dracula now and have some key lime wine

i liked 8mm in the late 90s but i remember it making me want to take a shower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

big trivia FAIL posted:

i liked 8mm in the late 90s but i remember it making me want to take a shower

I saw it when I was a teenager at the theater and there was an old dude there by himself and I've never been more creeped out by someone

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I fell asleep watching Dig! for the millionth time last night. It's on YouTube in all its 90s video cam glory. Seriously don't think there will ever be another music documentary like it, Ondi Timoner got insanely lucky that two of the bands she was constantly filming ended up doing... all they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvWcfD5cW7k

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dig is one of my favorites.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Dig! is a rockumentary GOAT. Anton is such a piece of poo poo but incredibly funny to watch be that piece of poo poo. The fight on stage is a classic and that whole movie is just endless good quotes.

"Broke my sitar mother fucker"

The DVD has some hidden scenes you can access by watching out for a symbol and hitting "enter" on your remote and they are incredible.

It used to be really trip me out as a fan being able to walk into the Amoeba in SF and see Joel working behind the counter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where did that blood come from Anton?

“People’s FACES”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
More medieval Korean zombies!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

smackfu posted:

That’s extremely disappointing.

Watch The Orange Years: The Nickelodeon Story instead. Less theme park engineering and more behind the scenes of the production of TV shows, but lots of nostalgia.

e wtf I know one of the people interviewed in the museum at the end

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 24, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

1980 Firestarter is best left forgotten

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think they do but it's not live (replays only) and it's behind the paywall. loving stupid.

The fact that it was almost impossible to stream the opening ceremonies in the US in 2021 is unbelievable to me. NBC has seemingly different content on the NBC, NBC Sports and Peacock apps, and none of those apps let you watch the ceremony live. The only way to do that was to go to nbcolympics.com. The apps also require a cable subscription to view anything. I hate it!

AccountSupervisor posted:

Dig! is a rockumentary GOAT. Anton is such a piece of poo poo but incredibly funny to watch be that piece of poo poo. The fight on stage is a classic and that whole movie is just endless good quotes.

"Broke my sitar mother fucker"

The DVD has some hidden scenes you can access by watching out for a symbol and hitting "enter" on your remote and they are incredible.

It used to be really trip me out as a fan being able to walk into the Amoeba in SF and see Joel working behind the counter.

I watched Dig! in a film class in college and the professor told me that I acted like Anton sometimes and i've never tried to change myself more quickly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dig! is amazing. Anton and Courtney are both insufferable in their own ways, but I love how they both can go on a several minute rant just trashing the other band and then finish by saying how much they respect and love the songwriting and music.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

smackfu posted:

That’s extremely disappointing.

Just watch Defunctland on YouTube, dudes been making them for years and has a pretty big variety of parks covered.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Crossposting from our theme park thread but the team that did this did The Toys That Made Us and it's that same terrible quirky editing style of cutting sentences together with previous dialogue bits and random sound effects, and it sucks so much considering who they're interviewing. I wanted another Imagineering Story but this ain't it. It's still interesting but I cannot stand the editing.

I saw this warning but was bored last night and watched the first episode anyway. Bad idea, it was even worse than expected. There is some really interesting footage you want to see more of, but then they'd cut back for the 5th time to a weird looking seal from an early nature doc. And all the goofy rear end music, and terrible punny narration. It was like an early 00s clip show, like MaxEx or some poo poo.

Just point me to all the old raw footage with some on screen text info dumps and I'd be happier than this poo poo.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Enos Cabell posted:

Just point me to all the old raw footage with some on screen text info dumps and I'd be happier than this poo poo.

Martin’s Vids on YT.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

JaneError posted:

Martin’s Vids on YT.

These are great, thanks!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Woodstock '99 documentary on HBO Max is good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
jesus ultra city smiths is amazing

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Escobarbarian posted:

jesus ultra city smiths is amazing
I had never heard of this but now I am intrigued. Stop motion noir musical you say?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Tim Whatley posted:

Yup. Really a cool documentary with all the footage they have.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

RestingB1tchFace posted:

NOOOOOO! Just watched Face/Off for the first time.

WHY? So many better movies were cut at a hour and forty-five. I invested two and a quarter in this......

Props to John Travolta and Nick Cage. They were very good in their roles. Doesn't change the fact that this movie sucked....bad.

face/off is one of the greatest action movies ever filmed. hth

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Underworld is on Netflix and it might be the most mid 00's movie ever made.
- Vampires vs Werewolves
- Matrix aesthetic taken to the extreme (catsuits and trenchcoats, John Woo-esque gun battles, always night in a thunderstorm)
- that move where someone is sliced in half so perfectly it's not apparent at first there was even a cut until their top half slides off the rest. There's a lot of this in resident evil. This movie features probably the longest pause between the slice and the slide ever attempted
- nu metal soundtrack

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

- Vampires vs Werewolves
- Matrix aesthetic taken to the extreme (catsuits and trenchcoats, John Woo-esque gun battles, always night in a thunderstorm)
- that move where someone is sliced in half so perfectly it's not apparent at first there was even a cut until their top half slides off the rest. There's a lot of this in resident evil. This movie features probably the longest pause between the slice and the slide ever attempted
- nu metal soundtrack

I actually liked 95% of the original Resident Evil. We got done and I told my friends the only thing I didn't like was Milla doing Matrix style flips and attacks on the dogs. Pretty sure I cursed the franchise with that statement.

And the laser grid scene was taken straight out of Cube.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

- Vampires vs Werewolves
- nu metal soundtrack

I have a ton of nostalgic fondness for this movie

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That loving sword slice bit makes me feel so embarrassed every time I see it in a movie

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My favorite thing about Underworld is you have a perfect set up for some cool fights between two supernatural creatures: werewolves and vampires...but instead they just shoot each other with guns.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
the only abilities vampires have is clinging to ceilings and falling long distances without harm

beckinsale in leather tho

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Fallom posted:

That loving sword slice bit makes me feel so embarrassed every time I see it in a movie

combining a few different topics, the best and most embarrassing example of this I can think of is Tay Diggs getting his face/off moment in Equilibrium, just getting slashed and then slowly turning around as my face slides off, it's called acting!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ram dass in hell posted:

combining a few different topics, the best and most embarrassing example of this I can think of is Tay Diggs getting his face/off moment in Equilibrium, just getting slashed and then slowly turning around as my face slides off, it's called acting!

That and the laser hallway in the first Resident Evil are my favorites. I rewound those scenes so many times as a 10 year old.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

ram dass in hell posted:

Everything in Equilibrium is simultaneously the best and most embarrassing. Taye Diggs. Gun kata. the fact that the Clerics' guns have crosses for muzzle flashes. the entire conceit of "what if 1984 but Winston was a badass"

It's one of my favorite movies. :allears:

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Boxman posted:

Everything in Equilibrium is simultaneously the best and most embarrassing. Taye Diggs. Gun kata. the fact that the Clerics' guns have crosses for muzzle flashes. the entire conceit of "what if 1984 but Winston was a badass"

It rules. Sean Bean gets shot in the fuckin face through a Yeats poem he's dramatically reading to illustrate that he has emotions. I don't know how you improve upon that, I really don't.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Boxman posted:

yeah it owns lol

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I first heard about Equilibrium when I was 10 or so. It was apparently super cool and violent, but I couldn't figure out how to torrent it so I could watch it. There was one week where I was staying with my grandpa who was a pretty old-fashioned religious guy. We went to Blockbuster and I got really excited when I saw Equilibrium there and asked him if we could rent it. He looked at it and said "Rated R?! I don't think so," and then looked closer and said "Oh, just for violence, yeah sure." I stayed up all night watching it, it was so :krad:

Thank you grandpa and thank you America for your hosed up attitudes towards violence and sexuality.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Watched Shiva Baby on HBO and loved it. It’s kind of anxiety inducing like Uncut Gems but more so for people with social anxiety. If you are looking for a good fast paced farce then I would recommend it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Boxman posted:

it really does have some fun deliveries too, Angus Macfadyen has a lot of room to be wonderfully evil and smarmy. just a lot of stupid fun.
"Calmly...coooolly."

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Equilibrium is essentially "what if 1984 but also The Boondock Saints and The Matrix" and it's like :hmmyes:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

sorta, I have to disagree with many of their conclusions. They also show the organizers being complete sleazebag scum but no one really pushes against them and they were able to just get away with it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Equilibrium was phenomenally cool to 15 year old me and my buddies. Hell yeah. Also Jet Li's The One.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

sorta, I have to disagree with many of their conclusions. They also show the organizers being complete sleazebag scum but no one really pushes against them and they were able to just get away with it.

There were several people with different conclusions. Everyone had someone else to blame for what happened. But everybody wants a boogeyman. I think it was pretty simple. A couple hundred thousand hormonal early 20s people....in lovely conditions....listening to aggressive music all day.

I don't think anyone was necessarily blame worthy. Hell....who's fault is it that a bunch of people were hospitalized because it was way too hot? Who's fault was the sexual abuse other than the poo poo head individuals engaging it? Certainly wasn't Fred Durst's fault. You could definitely say that the organizers were in over their heads and didn't plan great. But people die at music festivals sometimes. Bonnaroo averages close to one per year I believe. Coachella has seen several. It happens.

As for the poor conditions.....I guess I'd need to hear from someone who'd been there. The airfield that they held it was huge. I find it highly unlikely that the conditions portrayed were festival wide. Wasn't it a mile between main stages? I have little doubt that there were tons of campsites that were away from the poo poo shown in the doc. My guess is that the folks who had it the worst were nearer to the stages, and weren't well prepared to spend four days outside in that kind of heat.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
One thing Woodstock 99 hit on was the anger between the TRL fans. I used to avidly watch TRL during that era, and I remember the anger was real between the rock and pop fans. All these different groups were all forced to compete for the same limited airtime, and inevitably it was almost always a boy band in the number one spot week after week, often the same video for months at a time. It's funny, even though I'm definitely a rock fan (although more of the newer indie rock kind, and not so much the nu-metal they featured a lot back then), many of the pop songs that were on TRL have held up much better than those rock songs. Although I was surprised at how well I remembered all those rock songs featured in the documentary even after not having heard any of them in over 20 years.

The best TRL moment was when "The Duel of the Fates" from the Phantom Menace made it to #1 on TRL.

Also, Dave Holmes who was interviewed in the documentary. They had that Wanna Be a VJ contest, for random people to compete to become a new MTV VJ. The final two got down to Dave Holmes, a charismatic man who has a near photographic memory of any song recorded over the last 50 years, and Jesse, this goofball who was like Kelso from That 70s Show, except way dumber.

Jesse won, and MTV was like, gently caress. So, they honored their contract, and hired Jesse as a VJ, but relegated him to standing with the crowds of screaming fans in Times Square, while they had Dave, the runner up, actually in the studio hosting shows, and interviewing guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I don't know those people but per your description Jesse has, inarguably, the better skillset for an MTV VJ.