Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I feel like the female reboot is a pretty tired genre. And the Expendables franchise is garbage. But it would all be worth it if we could get an Expendables reboot with Milla Jovovich and Kate Beckinsale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Simplex posted:

an Expendables reboot with Milla Jovovich and Kate Beckinsale.

also Michelle Rodriguez, Kristen Wiig, Amy Poehler and/or Tina Fey, Retta, and Christine Hendricks

please and thank you

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Simplex posted:

I feel like the female reboot is a pretty tired genre. And the Expendables franchise is garbage. But it would all be worth it if we could get an Expendables reboot with Milla Jovovich and Kate Beckinsale.

Is that Expendabelles movie still happening? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time but that terrible title has stuck in my head

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Wrath of man showed up on Netflix and it … isn’t terrible.

Well shot and probably the most competent of the heist/revenge flicks that Amazon etc. have been pumping out lately.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

iv46vi posted:

Wrath of man showed up on Netflix and it … isn’t terrible.

Well shot and probably the most competent of the heist/revenge flicks that Amazon etc. have been pumping out lately.

I'm not seeing it - are you outside the US by chance?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I found it incredibly generic, it was hard to believe the same dude who directed Lock Stock and Snatch made it...no charm, no style, unfunny, bland, etc. What happened Guy Ritchie??? Just feels like a random jason statham vehicle
Way better than Jolt and a lot of the other Prime/Netflix originals tho, for sure. Way way better. Wrath of Man actually had like, 1-2 entertaining sequences.
For me it brought to mind the also pretty bad Triple 9 and all of the Heat knockoffs out there.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I have to give it to the director of the tomorrow war. They gave him 200 million and he made the laziest schlocky cheese poo poo possible. That's dedication.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Medullah posted:

I'm not seeing it - are you outside the US by chance?

Canada, guess for once we’re slightly ahead on streaming releases.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Started watching Warrior on the threads suggestion and it does indeed kick rear end. Only knocks i would have against it, I've only heard one gently caress Your Mother so far. If this was an accurate portrayal of working class Chinese it'd be 3-4 per scene. Second is, the second season seems to be going with the racists myth of China being the main source of opium which was started by the exclusionists.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What happened Guy Ritchie???

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

I'm not familiar with this Bond villain.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MajorBonnet posted:

I'm not familiar with this Bond villain.

Funny enough, she was in a Bond movie.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I found it incredibly generic, it was hard to believe the same dude who directed Lock Stock and Snatch made it...no charm, no style, unfunny, bland, etc. What happened Guy Ritchie??? Just feels like a random jason statham vehicle
Way better than Jolt and a lot of the other Prime/Netflix originals tho, for sure. Way way better. Wrath of Man actually had like, 1-2 entertaining sequences.
For me it brought to mind the also pretty bad Triple 9 and all of the Heat knockoffs out there.

I agree it was bad but have you seen the gentlemen? It only came out last year but it’s very much in the style of snatch etc.

Personally I think that style has aged poorly but wrath of man wasn’t really a step up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wrath of Man was ok, but didn't have the humor or wit that makes most Guy Ritchie stuff at least entertaining.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mentioned this in the action thread but I hate when a movie introduces a known character actor as like a good guy/mentor character but the casting choice makes it super obvious that they're actually the bad guy.. It happened in Wrath of Man, another one that comes to mind is The Equalizer 2. Like, sorry but I'm not buying that Pedro Pascal wanted to be in this movie just to say a few lines and give Denzel's character some information. It's obvious that the only reason he's cast in that role is because he's the villain, yet they treat it like a twist.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Starks posted:

I agree it was bad but have you seen the gentlemen? It only came out last year but it’s very much in the style of snatch etc.

Personally I think that style has aged poorly but wrath of man wasn’t really a step up.

Oh heck yeah, I would even say The Gentlemen is probably his best movie. Hugh Grant is a delight in it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm on the 4th episode of Domina, the new historical Rome series. I'm convinced this is the true successor to I, Claudius. No fight scenes, no cool visuals, just endless bickering and scheming and family drama.

One day i wanna do the ultimate Caesar marathon: watch the first half of the season of Rome, watch a movie version of Julius Caeser or read Shakespeares play, watch Rome again until the middle of the 2nd season to get right to when Octavius attacks Cleopatra and Antony, reread Shakespeare Cleopatra and Antony (which I remember being a firecracker read), finish up Rome, watch Calugila the movie, then I Claudius, then I guess this Dominis (tho im not sure where that would fit in the timeline).

Im pretty sure that the ppl behind Rome made sure their show was contiguous with Shakespeare i.e. everyone is blown away in the show by Antony's speech from the play but doesnt show it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Oh heck yeah, I would even say The Gentlemen is probably his best movie. Hugh Grant is a delight in it.

Yeah Hugh was terrific in that. He's always been good, but seems like he's having a lot more fun with his roles in older age. See: Paddington 2

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah Hugh was terrific in that. He's always been good, but seems like he's having a lot more fun with his roles in older age. See: Paddington 2

Which reminds me, I thought people were exaggerating how good the Paddington movies are but it's like, no, they actually are perfect and amazing

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Shageletic posted:

One day i wanna do the ultimate Caesar marathon: watch the first half of the season of Rome, watch a movie version of Julius Caeser or read Shakespeares play, watch Rome again until the middle of the 2nd season to get right to when Octavius attacks Cleopatra and Antony, reread Shakespeare Cleopatra and Antony (which I remember being a firecracker read), finish up Rome, watch Calugila the movie, then I Claudius, then I guess this Dominis (tho im not sure where that would fit in the timeline).

Im pretty sure that the ppl behind Rome made sure their show was contiguous with Shakespeare i.e. everyone is blown away in the show by Antony's speech from the play but doesnt show it.

The Netflix Roman Empire series is not top-notch, but also not entirely terrible. You could intersperse the seasons into your chronology and fill in a few gaps. The Commodus season at least wouldn't overlap with the others.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Basebf555 posted:

I mentioned this in the action thread but I hate when a movie introduces a known character actor as like a good guy/mentor character but the casting choice makes it super obvious that they're actually the bad guy.. It happened in Wrath of Man, another one that comes to mind is The Equalizer 2. Like, sorry but I'm not buying that Pedro Pascal wanted to be in this movie just to say a few lines and give Denzel's character some information. It's obvious that the only reason he's cast in that role is because he's the villain, yet they treat it like a twist.

I love that. Oh, is that Ed Harris in a minor supporting role? Is that Ben Kingsley? I just wonder if Ed Harris and Ben Kingsley were BOTH in a movie, how would you know which one is going to turn out to be the villain?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cafe Barbarian posted:

I love that. Oh, is that Ed Harris in a minor supporting role? Is that Ben Kingsley? I just wonder if Ed Harris and Ben Kingsley were BOTH in a movie, how would you know which one is going to turn out to be the villain?

They did get me pretty good with this trick when I watched Mare of Eastown. I was extremely suspicious of Guy Pierce like right up to the final episode because why is he even there?

And I think that was actually the point of casting him, they knew there would be a natural suspicion people would have about him and he'd make a perfect red herring.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

They did get me pretty good with this trick when I watched Mare of Eastown. I was extremely suspicious of Guy Pierce like right up to the final episode because why is he even there?

And I think that was actually the point of casting him, they knew there would be a natural suspicion people would have about him and he'd make a perfect red herring.

It wasn't even that. Kate Winslett and Guy Pierce had done Mildred Pierce together, and she enjoyed working with him, so she reached out to him and asked if he would do this. He agreed. Turns out she just wanted to work with her friend again.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 28, 2021

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Between that show and too much Forensic Files, I don't think I ever want to visit Pennsylvania.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Nihonniboku posted:

It wasn't even that. Kate Winslett and Guy Pierce had done Mildred Pierce together, and she enjoyed working with him, so she reached out to him and asked if he would do this. He agreed. Turns out she just wanted to work with her friend again.

Yeah there was originally a different actor in that part entirely, someone much less famous

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well anyway it worked really well. Pierce was just out of place the whole time, and there's really nothing in the actual plot that's suspicious about him at all, which of course in a show like that instantly makes me extra suspicious of him.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gloria is gonna be leaving the Criterion Channel in a couple days, so if you haven't caught it I recommend it for sure. I remember loving it as a kid but I'd pretty much forgotten it, so it was a fairly fresh rewatch. It's pretty conventional structurally (though it faked me out a couple times), but the script is charming as gently caress. Gena Rowlands is charming as well, and frankly so is the kid. They actually apparently nominated him for a Razzie that year... just goes to show how stupid those are. Sure a few line deliveries are goofy but it's a pretty adorable child actor performance. Just a curly haired Bronx kid in a tiny leisure suit haha.

It obviously influenced Luc Besson's Leon: The Professional (which has direct references to scenes in Gloria), also a favorite of mine as a kid, but it's hard not to see this as the far superior version. Sure it may lack the immense power of Manic Gary Oldman but hey, at least it isn't a film with weird pedophile vibes directed by a French pedophile!!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 28, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
also apparently it was one of Akira Kurosawa's favorite films, which is cute

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Tainen posted:

Watched Shiva Baby on HBO and loved it. It’s kind of anxiety inducing like Uncut Gems but more so for people with social anxiety. If you are looking for a good fast paced farce then I would recommend it.

I will second this. Loved it.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I don't think anyone was necessarily blame worthy. Hell....who's fault is it that a bunch of people were hospitalized because it was way too hot?

The organizers who held it on an airfield in July with inadequate resources. They come right out and say they chose that location in part because it was resistant to gatecrashing. We know whose fault it was.

quote:

The airfield that they held it was huge. I find it highly unlikely that the conditions portrayed were festival wide. Wasn't it a mile between main stages? I have little doubt that there were tons of campsites that were away from the poo poo shown in the doc. My guess is that the folks who had it the worst were nearer to the stages, and weren't well prepared to spend four days outside in that kind of heat.

If this were all true then why didn't those nearer to the stages who found themselves in a situation they weren't prepared for simply move to another part of the huge airfield. I'm not saying you're wrong, I am just having trouble reconciling "those conditions were not festival-wide" and "a minority had no choice but to suffer those conditions for four days".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

While waiting for new White Lotus eps I have been watching Enlightened for the first time and it's very good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

albedoa posted:

The organizers who held it on an airfield in July with inadequate resources. They come right out and say they chose that location in part because it was resistant to gatecrashing. We know whose fault it was.

If this were all true then why didn't those nearer to the stages who found themselves in a situation they weren't prepared for simply move to another part of the huge airfield. I'm not saying you're wrong, I am just having trouble reconciling "those conditions were not festival-wide" and "a minority had no choice but to suffer those conditions for four days".

They had a choice they just didn't exercise it. My sample size is a little small, I just had a few friends that went up in a group of 15-20 or so. For all of them it was their first festival, they were 19 and didn't really know what they were entitled to. A few felt embarrassed that they were so unprepared but at the that age embarrassment tends to externalize as anger so when a few bands canceled/cut their set short on the last day a lot of that bubbles over into violence.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

While waiting for new White Lotus eps I have been watching Enlightened for the first time and it's very good.

It's truly something special, and it's devastating it never got a season 3.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pioneer42 posted:

The Netflix Roman Empire series is not top-notch, but also not entirely terrible. You could intersperse the seasons into your chronology and fill in a few gaps. The Commodus season at least wouldn't overlap with the others.

actually watched the first eps of this. good idea.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I havent seen Hairspray since VHS, its on hbo for like another day. Its wonderful and after Space Jam II it cleansed me

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 29, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hairspray is so loving good. I really have to catch all the Waters I haven't seen sometime, mostly his 90s stuff. But mostly I just ha e to finally catch Serial Mom.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh poo poo yeah you do, Serial Mom is so loving good.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Shageletic posted:

actually watched the first eps of this. good idea.

It’s good and interesting. The hybrid documentary-drama format takes a little to get used to.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm watching Jack Reacher with my father in law and holy poo poo this movie is so ridiculously terrible, it's basically a parody. It's a fifteen year old incel's power trip fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm watching Jack Reacher with my father in law and holy poo poo this movie is so ridiculously terrible, it's basically a parody. It's a fifteen year old incel's power trip fantasy.

The books are worse.