Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

yep. I was even in the mood for a dumb movie and it was just so boring.

Try again but with Army of Thieves, also on Netflix. You want a dumb heist movie? Oh buddy, it's a dumb heist movie. I honestly liked it better than Army of the Dead, to which it is a prequel/sidequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’ve come around to comic book movies. gently caress it

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
This thread has had a lot of people who are very vocal about hating comic book movies always commenting about how surprised they are that they didn't like the latest comic book movie. Like, if you know you don't like it, why are you putting yourself through it and then commenting it like your opinion on them has changed? It's like what Einstein said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Like, I don't like football, which is why I don't comment on football games.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Goddamn. Another Netflix price hike. $9.99/$15.49/$19.99

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

This thread has had a lot of people who are very vocal about hating comic book movies always commenting about how surprised they are that they didn't like the latest comic book movie. Like, if you know you don't like it, why are you putting yourself through it and then commenting it like your opinion on them has changed? It's like what Einstein said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Like, I don't like football, which is why I don't comment on football games.

I liked Blade

e and Watchmen was a good movie/series.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 15, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Gotta pay Gal Gadot's salary somehow.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inspector Hound posted:

Try again but with Army of Thieves, also on Netflix. You want a dumb heist movie? Oh buddy, it's a dumb heist movie. I honestly liked it better than Army of the Dead, to which it is a prequel/sidequel.

Can do. I like a heist, even sometimes when it's shite.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finally got around to watching "The Big Short." I found it amusing that even the most "cynical" people were at shock and awe that the top bankers knew they'd get bailed out by the government.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Archive 81 on Netflix is giving me some Candyman and Overlook Hotel vibes. Might be good enough for me to avoid this thread a week or so, since I tend to just do one ep a night.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked Blade

e and Watchmen was a good movie/series.

How is the watchmen series? Is it a prequel? Sequel?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Time to quit. Can't think of a show I watch on there

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nihonniboku posted:

I like comic book movies, but I also think a lot of the recent MCU stuff (mainly anything Avengers related) is just bad. So it is not as black and white as you are making it. A person can say that the latest Spider-Man movie is great, but Endgame is a bad movie (I would say that to be clear).

Shageletic posted:

Time to quit. Can't think of a show I watch on there

There are still good shows on Netflix (The Crown, Witcher, Umbrella Academy, and whatever series Mike Flanagan is doing), but there are getting less and less. Not as bad Prime, but still I’m thinking about canceling for a few months for the first time in years.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 15, 2022

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

It's a sequel to the comic book--if you haven't read the comic all you really need to know is that it ended differently from the movie: instead of doing the kind of vague energy explosion things to make people hate him, Dr. Manhattan created and teleported gigantic alien looking squids into multiple cities, killing thousands of people and uniting humanity against the threat of aliens. In the series, these attacks "continue" in the form of small rains of alien squids that keep people paranoid. The Boys is also good, kind of a similar vein of cynicism.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Field Mousepad posted:

Sequel. I thought it started off pretty interesting and had some really cool stuff, but ultimately the ending was something of a letdown. Overall I'd recommend it just because it's at least trying some relatively new stuff. It's a bit disappointing but only in light of how it seemed like it might've been able to achieve something really great.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Guess I will see whether I notice a difference with regular Netflix vs 4K HDR.

lament.cfg posted:

Eternals opens with a wall of text

That was very ridiculous. Not even a voiceover, just text on a black background.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Umbrella Academy is the worst comic book show I have seen last year, yes I saw Justice League

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Archive 81 seems cool as poo poo, can't wait to binge it tonight

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Oh poo poo, I had no idea they made the podcast Archive 81 into a show! Considering how loving weird it gets, I am excited!

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

As others have said it's a sequel. I think it's fantastic until the last episode which is just an uninteresting damp sponge. Definitely worth a watch if you're interested in the source material.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

PTizzle posted:

As others have said it's a sequel. I think it's fantastic until the last episode which is just an uninteresting damp sponge. Definitely worth a watch if you're interested in the source material.

This. The last episode isn't necessarily bad, for me it was more that the entire series unpacks and dodges a lot of the super hero tropes (including tropes that Moore kicked off by subverting older tropes) in an interesting way, but then the last episode leans right back into them in a way that feels rushed and deflating.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Inspector Hound posted:

It's a sequel to the comic book--if you haven't read the comic all you really need to know is that it ended differently from the movie: instead of doing the kind of vague energy explosion things to make people hate him, Dr. Manhattan created and teleported gigantic alien looking squids into multiple cities, killing thousands of people and uniting humanity against the threat of aliens. In the series, these attacks "continue" in the form of small rains of alien squids that keep people paranoid. The Boys is also good, kind of a similar vein of cynicism.

Just a minor correction Dr. Manhattan didn't create the squid, Adrian did.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The Modern Leper posted:

This. The last episode isn't necessarily bad, for me it was more that the entire series unpacks and dodges a lot of the super hero tropes (including tropes that Moore kicked off by subverting older tropes) in an interesting way, but then the last episode leans right back into them in a way that feels rushed and deflating.

This is exactly my sentiment too. Was great, but the ending failed. I don’t think it ruined everything that came before it. It was just a let down. It’s a great and weird show.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just burned through the first three episodes of Peacemaker and I'm digging it. I legit laugh through the credits each time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

10 Beers posted:

Just burned through the first three episodes of Peacemaker and I'm digging it. I legit laugh through the credits each time.

The opening credits are legit great. I found the first episode to be a boring slog though, and have no interested in continuing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Peacemaker is dope

so is The Last Duel

in fact The Last Duel is probably my new vote for best movie of the year, beating out Nightmare Alley by just a scoche

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

yep. I was even in the mood for a dumb movie and it was just so boring.

I watched the Netflix movie Love and Monsters yesterday. I think it would fit the bill.

I went into it not expecting much, but it was surprisingly entertaining.
Also bonus points for being around 1 hour 40 minutes. Not every movie needs to be > 2 hours.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

The opening credits are legit great. I found the first episode to be a boring slog though, and have no interested in continuing.

I could watch John Cena doing that goofy march in the first eight seconds forever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Turambar posted:

I watched the Netflix movie Love and Monsters yesterday. I think it would fit the bill.

Also bonus points for being around 1 hour 40 minutes. Not every movie needs to be > 2 hours.

Snapping up another rec, thanks

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was surprised with The Last Duel because I thought it would be about two sides of a story but when it gets to Jacque he's just like "yeah so then I raped her".
Like there's no gray area. Jacque's a piece or poo poo rapist who should die, the end.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think the point is that by the (horrible) ethical standard of the time, it wasn't rape because she acted wantonly enough that he couldn't resist her. Jacques truly believes that she wanted it and was only protesting out of a sense of decorum.

So yeah, it was 100% rape but the gender dynamics were so hosed back then (and honestly we haven't evolved much past it) that many people, including the rapist, wouldn't really have thought of it as rape.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah that makes sense. I do appreciate that in Jacque's story he's also just like also i came in 5 seconds because i am very bad at loving.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Evil Jonathan Taylor Thomas is the worst part of Cobra Kai.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

its just gonna make it that much better when he and his dad overcome their differences to fight the russians or whatever

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Only if Dolph Lundgren punches someone hard enough to send them to the hospital during filming.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I do appreciate that in Jacque's story he's also just like also i came in 5 seconds because i am very bad at loving.

Alot of it was like the other poster said the fact that women were literally property but also we see that scene earlier where Adam "gently caress Stallion" Driver is having a bawdy time with the courtesans who all are engaging in fashionably naughty grey areas of consent, and he thought that's what was going on... which is, obviously, quite stupid if we believe her (as the movie and common sense say we should) since she was screaming etc and not being like "tee hee oh no don't mount me adam driver"

gently caress it's such a good movie!

edit: i loved how stupidly obvious the symbolism was with the BIG BLACK HORSE coming in to gently caress THE WHITE MARE and matt damon going NO YOU DON'T gently caress MY MARE YOU STUPID STALLION lmao

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Turambar posted:

Not every movie needs to be > 2 hours.

I struggled to find something worth watching on recent flights and ended up watching 3 count 'em 3 musical (or musical-adjacent) movies

In the Heights... 2.5hrs
Respect... 2.5hrs
Dear Evan Hansen... 2.5hrs

I know it's a well-worn complaint these days but 2.5 hours is a long time for any movie, feels much longer when it's a musical, and even when I'm a captive audience, stuck in an airplane seat, I still can't help but think: why am I putting myself through this???

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So I'm watching Archive 81, I'm not a big fan of changing the cult to be a christian cult instead of being its own thing. That has already been done to death and its just not very interesting.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 16, 2022

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

They should make the canticle of Leibovitz book into a show. Post apocalypse with some hopefulness. Actually station eleven reminds me a lot of that book. I’m watching the last ep now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Turambar posted:

90% of movies do apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The House on Netflix was trippy. Three stories set in the "same" mansion. I say "same" in quotes because it's clearly the same house, in past, present, and future, but the stories are very different.