Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The show is also almost 20 years old now. It pioneered a lot of the comedy that we've seen in the last two decades.

I personally think the show peaked with season 3, and has been hit and miss since then. I appreciate though that Larry will take a few years off and come back when he feels up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Oh man, can I get to Curb Your Enthusiasm through whichever version of HBO is on Hulu? I've been wanting to watch that forever

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Deadite posted:

John Gabrus of the actionboyz podcast described Bosch as “for dads, by dads” and it’s stuck in my head anytime I hear about the show

Bosch and Longmire are my go to dad shows and it is the best description for them

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Middleditch and Schwartz on Netflix was more impressive than I anticipated. Very funny stuff!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Counterpart and Banshee

I may have asked this before, but does counterpart get a decent ending? I watched like the first 3 episodes right as it was (unbeknownst to me) being cancelled and taken off STARZ. I see now it’s on prime but I know it was planned for more seasons right?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

I haven't watched it but I 100% can promise you if everyone in it looks stupid and evil then yes it's accurate, militia freaks jerking off over it aside it's a pretty huge black spot for a reason.

Also speaking of shows for dads I've gotten super into Longmire. I'm only a bit into season 2 so maybe it'll poo poo the bed later but this is a neat kinda 'modern western' that actually does a good job handling native stuff and all.

Longmire is absolutely fantastic until it tries too hard. The first two seasons are the best, but there are gems throughout the rest. One of the best parts are just how insane the season finales get.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

beanieson posted:

I may have asked this before, but does counterpart get a decent ending? I watched like the first 3 episodes right as it was (unbeknownst to me) being cancelled and taken off STARZ. I see now it’s on prime but I know it was planned for more seasons right?

It wraps up its main arc but ends with a set up for what could’ve been a season three.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Tainen posted:

It wraps up its main arc but ends with a set up for what could’ve been a season three.

I literally started a rewatch of The Leftovers yesterday but I think I’m gonna put that on hold and watch counterpart... those first few episodes I saw were so good

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Kim becomes my favorite character, I've gushed about her a few times but drat what an actress.

Kim is just wonderful. At first I was wondering why the hell she’d even be interested in Jimmy, but it actually makes perfect sense. Hamlin’s grown on me a lot too. He’s got a very captivating way of speaking.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mike the TV posted:

Longmire is absolutely fantastic until it tries too hard. The first two seasons are the best, but there are gems throughout the rest. One of the best parts are just how insane the season finales get.

Longmire was a guilty pleasure. Do need to say, the last 5-10 seconds of the finale was a great send-off.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

BisterdDave posted:

I've been making my way through Curb Your Enthusiasm for the first time, and I've got to say it's one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time. I'm halfway through season 4 though, and something seems different about it, not in a good way either. I don't know how to say it, but it seems like the writing is trying too hard at this point to be funny. I googled a couple "seasons ranked" lists, only to find that season 4 is regarded as one of the best. Maybe it's just me :iiam:

Rewatching Curb now as my gf watches for first time. We’re on early season 4 right now and I’m feeling similar even though I have highly regarded memories of some of these eps so maybe it’s just part of the binging method as mentioned. Regardless - keep going because there’s still plenty of highs to come.

Also until now never realized the the Funkman :rip: never joined the show til mid season 4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Curb seasons 5 and 6 are my favorites, I think

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't have much of an opinion about Curb season 4 overall, but The Car Pool Lane is one of the best episodes of the series.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don't have much of an opinion about Curb season 4 overall, but The Car Pool Lane is one of the best episodes of the series.

Sorry but Palestinian Chicken is the best episode.

Also I thought the newest season was petty bad. There was only one bit I remember laughing out loud at.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I used to love watching Curb, but after everything I've been through over the last two years--divorce, unemployment, a loving brain tumor--I have a hard time revisiting it. There's a deeply misanthropic bent to a lot of the humor that just rubs me the wrong way nowadays.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't forget the Curb crossover with Hannah Montana, which I assume is on Disney+.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wizardofloneliness posted:

If not just on its own merits, but that episode also famously saved a man from death row.

https://www.gq.com/story/how-curb-your-enthusiasm-saved-a-man-from-death-row

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Early seasons of Curb are drat near perfection, but I still prefer the show once Leon moved in.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Enos Cabell posted:

Early seasons of Curb are drat near perfection, but I still prefer the show once Leon moved in.

Every line out of his mouth is pure gold.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Every line out of his mouth is pure gold.

I forget which episode it is, but the one where Leon and Larry switch phones and Larry sounds like a racist while Leon just talks like he always does was great.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Leon fuckin rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhk5N32Tec

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ah Christ, Ballad of Buster Scruggs sucked. You've done it again Netflix!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

married but discreet posted:

First time?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

It was good! At least admit you liked the Tom Waits part!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:wtc:

Scruggs has maybe one weak story, the rest all range from solid-to-great.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It was good! At least admit you liked the Tom Waits part!

I refuse! Tom Waits one was okay, last story had a good premise and ended prematurely - rest felt like dollar store Coen imitation.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

rest felt like dollar store Coen imitation.

Can directors imitate themselves?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Class Warcraft posted:

Can directors imitate themselves?

I mean ... kind of? Craven did that a lot. You can argue a bit for Ridley Scott, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't like this opinion one bit.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
See no human being could actively hate the Tom Waits segment of Buster Scruggs you'd have to be a reptiloid from beyond the Moon.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sounds like someone could use a glass of cool, clear water.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I think it was Cyrano and I that used to watch The Musketeers while it was airing, but I just rewatched all three seasons on Hulu and it's still really fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BurntCornMuffin posted:

The Midnight Gospel is a hell of a trip. Basically, this dude visits simulated planets and interviews its denizens while their respective worlds are destroyed around them for his interdimensional podcast.

It's completely absurd and I love it.

It feels like what if Waking Life was a series

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Been binge watching Gotham. Honestly really loved the first season where it was all about origins and had a good mob/corporate based intrigue thing going on. I'm up to mid season 3 and they did that True Blood thing where suddenly everyone has magical loving powers. It was going to happen at some point, but shitflooding the entire cast and stories with it all at once squeezed or made everything else seem too pointless to mention. They must have thought they were getting shitcanned to have crammed everything in like that after really great pacing.

I'm going to watch it til the bitter end though, because of such a hard carry by penguin and non magical fish mooney.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I refuse! Tom Waits one was okay, last story had a good premise and ended prematurely - rest felt like dollar store Coen imitation.

100% agreed. Probably the biggest let down of any film I can recall. Well, that one and Hateful Eight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I thought Scruggs was a good time at the movies, but it's not particularly remarkable or even cohesive.

Though I was disappointed by the James Franco segment. From the trailer I assumed he was this guy who had been on the wrong end of a noose a dozen times and was totally nonchalant about it because he had become aware of his own plot armor, which I thought was an amazing character for Franco's poo poo-eating grin of a persona. The reality of it was quite a bit less interesting, so that one's on me.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Have you not seen a Coen brother's movie before?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Field Mousepad posted:

Have you not seen a Coen brother's movie before?

That was actually the main problem.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Extraction was a lot better than it should have been. The kinetic, well choreographed action does a lot for it and Hemsworth gives a really solid performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Last Kingdom season 4 is pretty awesome but the middle episodes have a real fireworks factory problem.