Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I watched the first few episodes of another show about kids last night, Raised by Wolves. Just when I thought I knew how the season was going to play out, poo poo went off the rails in the best possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

I watched the first few episodes of another show about kids last night, Raised by Wolves. Just when I thought I knew how the season was going to play out, poo poo went off the rails in the best possible way.

The show is pretty great so far. I withhold judgment until the season ends though, just to see where it's going. The end game isn't quite clear yet 5 episodes in.

I've also been enjoying digging into the TCM collection on HBO Max. While it has some of my favorite movies of all time like Muriel's Wedding and Contact, it also has a bunch of older movies that I've never seen before. This weekend I watched Apocalypse Now and Fatal Attraction for the first time. Wonder what I should watch next.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Check out the Coen Brothers' first movie "Blood Simple". I rewatched it this week and it's a good one.

It's on HBO Max.

The basic plot is that a bar owner hires a private eye to find out if his wife is fooling around on him. The story isn't all that twisty turny but it's a fascinating one to watch unfold. One of my favorite things about it is (don't read until after watching although it's not a specific plot spoiler) At the end of the movie literally every character has an incomplete idea of what happened over the course of the story. We in the audience know but every character has it wrong in some way.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's a hell of a first movie for both them and Frances McDormand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nate fisher posted:

I think the Cuties discussion needs to move to its own thread, because this thread has been hijacked by it.

i mean, it is relevant to the thread. the thread is for discussing stuff on streaming services, and 95% of the discourse about things on streaming services right now is about Cuties. if we don't just kinda let it get hashed out here, it becomes a weird elephant in the living room instead.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Netflix has a new documentary about the Challenger disaster coming out on wednesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAeVAgqFV4

I'm not sure what more can be said about it but i suppose its good for younger generations to know about it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

clean ayers act posted:

Netflix has a new documentary about the Challenger disaster coming out on wednesday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAeVAgqFV4

I'm not sure what more can be said about it but i suppose its good for younger generations to know about it

netflix makes weirdly good documentaries, nothing super deep but they're smart enough to know they can do person focused things for cheap and that winds up being really strong. I'm looking forward to this.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Also, the Netflix show Away starring Hilary Swank and Josh Charles is truly terrible. It's about the first mission to Mars, and each episode something goes wrong on the journey, but they do Lost style flashbacks that really bring absolutely nothing to the show. I think I got 5 episodes in before I realized I couldn't continue watching.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jolo posted:

Check out the Coen Brothers' first movie "Blood Simple". I rewatched it this week and it's a good one.

It's on HBO Max.

The basic plot is that a bar owner hires a private eye to find out if his wife is fooling around on him. The story isn't all that twisty turny but it's a fascinating one to watch unfold. One of my favorite things about it is (don't read until after watching although it's not a specific plot spoiler) At the end of the movie literally every character has an incomplete idea of what happened over the course of the story. We in the audience know but every character has it wrong in some way.

I watched this recently. It loving drags. I hate to say it but its the first Coens brothers movie I dont feel comfortable recommending because it fails at what its trying to be, a suspense thriller

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blood Simple is decent, but it's definitely at the lower end of their filmography. The worst Coen Bros films are still like a B- though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i mean, it is relevant to the thread. the thread is for discussing stuff on streaming services, and 95% of the discourse about things on streaming services right now is about Cuties. if we don't just kinda let it get hashed out here, it becomes a weird elephant in the living room instead.

While I agree with you, I think at this point, the film needs its own thread.

Cuties thread

There are rules for posting. Please post in good faith, or receive a probation.

No more Cuties talk in this thread, please.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

I still don't get what's wrong with the movie Joker

The Joker thinks crime is funny.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darkman Fanpage posted:

The Joker thinks crime is funny.

poo poo that's hosed up...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

poo poo that's hosed up...

It says a lot about society. The one we live in.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Nihonniboku posted:

Also, the Netflix show Away starring Hilary Swank and Josh Charles is truly terrible. It's about the first mission to Mars, and each episode something goes wrong on the journey, but they do Lost style flashbacks that really bring absolutely nothing to the show. I think I got 5 episodes in before I realized I couldn't continue watching.

I took it as a show about the human characters, like This Is Us. . . In Spa-a-a-a-a-a-ce. From that angle, it's mostly watchable. If you're in it for a sci-fi show about five of humanity's best going to mars, maybe skip it. The in-universe rulebreaking is distracting, characters spend a lot of time with a white-knuckle grip on an unseen idiot ball, the main character's written as someone who's spent her life up to this point being the best but still spends every present-day scene in unanimous consent that she is not, and in episode six the Popov character's plausibility completely explodes when it's revealed he went on this mission knowing he has space-blindness that would deprive the ship of its only engineer and very probably get them all loving killed.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I am a pretty casual sports fan - I support the local teams I suppose, but I hardly ever sit down and actually watch a game. I still enjoy watching pros do their stuff and I keep myself apprised of the happenings in the major sport leagues though, and lately I have developed an obsession with sports documentaries. I was never heavily involved in organized sports so getting an inside look at this very different and unfamiliar world with so much money and fame involved is just really fascinating to me. All or Nothing on Amazon Prime is probably my favorite, the point of the series is to follow a team over the course of an entire season. There are a few seasons focusing on different NFL teams, 2 following Premier League teams, 1 following the Brazilian national soccer team, and 1 following the University of Michigan football team (I think that's it). The camera crews have seemingly unlimited access, you see some really cool stuff like halftime discussions of strategy in the locker room, or frank discussions about finances and playing time in the coach/manager's office. It's basically the same concept as Hard Knocks on HBO, just expanded beyond the preseason. Formula 1: Drive to Survive on Netflix is very similar, auto racing is probably my least favorite sport but it's still super interesting.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Please watch this one https://www.netflix.com/title/80207046 -- it's my favorite in recent memory

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Weaponized Cum posted:

Please watch this one https://www.netflix.com/title/80207046 -- it's my favorite in recent memory

Speaking as a fan of the Black Cats, it's this.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I just watched Wadjda on Netflix and it's an absolute gem of a sweet coming-of-age movie.

It's about a spunky girl in Saudi Arabia who enters a Koran competition to win money to buy a bike and is full of lovely subtle moments of persevering and finding your independence in a repressive society.

It's not going to blow you out of the water with originality but it's tremendously well-executed with great performances and an unapologetic sweetness that we could all use these days.

Apparently the first movie shot entirely in Saudi Arabia and also the first by a woman director and I'm really sad that it didn't get an Oscar nom, it's truly special.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm surprised to see #Alive on the top 10 in Netflix.

I watched it and while the beginning of it is very cliche it becomes good and engaging.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Finally getting around to Watchmen, two episodes in. Wow, that second episode Chief Judd reveal.

Loving the NIN inspired soundtrack too

Edit: oh poo poo it’s actually Trent Reznor, lol

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
https://babylonbee.com/news/new-netflix-movie-actually-murders-puppies-to-teach-that-murdering-puppies-is-bad

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Tim Whatley posted:

Watched #Alive on Netflix, Korean zombie film. Not particularly scary but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Is it better or worse than The Night Eats the World? From synopsis alone they have the same exact premise.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Nihonniboku posted:

The show is pretty great so far. I withhold judgment until the season ends though, just to see where it's going. The end game isn't quite clear yet 5 episodes in.

I've also been enjoying digging into the TCM collection on HBO Max. While it has some of my favorite movies of all time like Muriel's Wedding and Contact, it also has a bunch of older movies that I've never seen before. This weekend I watched Apocalypse Now and Fatal Attraction for the first time. Wonder what I should watch next.

Check out the alternate(original?) ending of Fatal Attraction. It is pretty insane.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you have T-Mobile, they're giving away 6 months of Quibi free.

Even with that deal I have no motivation to try it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Ron Funches mentioned on the Giant Beastcast (a podcast) recently that Quibi has a trial where you don't have to put in a credit card and sign up for autobilling. Like you said though, I don't know that there's anything on there I'd actually care to watch.

Funches is funny so maybe his game(?) show is silly and worth a watch.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I don’t know if this is Comcast-only but PEN15 is streaming for free through the 21st. It’s a great show and worth checking out if you don’t have Hulu.

It’s especially great if you were in school in the year 2000.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Deadite posted:

I don’t know if this is Comcast-only but PEN15 is streaming for free through the 21st. It’s a great show and worth checking out if you don’t have Hulu.

It’s especially great if you were in school in the year 2000.

The school dance in the first season killed me. I'm dead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I am shocked, SHOCKED that Doug TenNapel is a QAnon piece of poo poo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

We have an actual thread for Cuties now, so dumbass conservative satire articles should go in that thread. Thank you.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
ViacomCBS confirms that CBS All Access will be rebooted as Paramount+ in 2021.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Thundercracker posted:

Is it better or worse than The Night Eats the World? From synopsis alone they have the same exact premise.

I don’t know if it is worse than The Night Eats the World, but it is definitely less serious. There is more of a comedic tone running through Alive that isn’t in The Night Eats the World.

There’s also a weird thriller plot that develops towards the end of Alive that seemed out of place with the rest of the movie.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I watched Outbreak(1995) on Starz.
it's bizarre how they decided to turn a film about a scientist investigating a flu outbreak into an action film and it hasn't aged well at all.
There were some interesting scenes in retrospect considering the recent pandemic (the movie theatre) but I'd recommend Contagion instead

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The first scene in Outbreak was very evocative but now seems extremely unrealistic because it portrays the US as having a strong approach to preventing pandemics.

I don’t think I actually watched it past that.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Fallom posted:

The first scene in Outbreak was very evocative but now seems extremely unrealistic because it portrays the US as having a strong approach to preventing pandemics.

I don’t think I actually watched it past that.

For an accurate portrayal, see the Mayor's response to the shark in Jaws.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Lmao I guess!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Well if Disney is doing it I guess everyone needs a plus in the name. Maybe next Google will rebrand Youtube Red/Youtube Premium again as Google+?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the + clearly indicates that it’s a streaming service

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fallom posted:

the + clearly indicates that it’s a streaming service
Actually, the plus means better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mystes posted:

Well if Disney is doing it I guess everyone needs a plus in the name. Maybe next Google will rebrand Youtube Red/Youtube Premium again as Google+?

They sold their one show people liked to Netflix. They should just rebrand as "Youtube no ads with Google play unlimited" and they'd probably sell more subs than any of their original content.