Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Watched Avatar for the first time since theaters, and I have always enjoyed making fun of that movie, but tbh it's pretty fun. I enjoyed it.

Yeah it's like, a dumb silly movie, but it's eminently watchable as long as you go do something else during the "romance" parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Still waiting to watch Avatar in 4K HDR. James Cameron please.

:negative:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Martman posted:

I'm guessing you mean I Care a Lot, and yeah it was a lot of fun!

And also, was it semi-blatantly a kind of tongue-in-cheek epic retelling of the rise and fall of Trump? Blonde "outsider" who wants to be a member of the elite amasses wealth by scamming, taking advantage of people, and exploiting the legal system; encounters the Russian mob and clashes with them until they decide to join forces to "create a monster... a countrywide guardianship" through which they can exploit all the old people in the US and get insanely rich. It almost works perfectly, but oops, she pissed off too many people who can't stand to see her face plastered on TV screens after being hosed over, and she's finally brought down.

At first I was thinking the movie was going off the rails, but I did find it hilarious as it maybe started to line up with that interpretation.

I don't know, the movies was sort of a rollercoaster for me - first it really seemed like it wanted me to root for the sex trafficing mafia bros to gently caress up the uppity feminist c-word. Maybe I am too internet poisoned but I could just imagine this going reaaaallly well with the gamergate crowd or whatever. Then it turns around and wants me to root for that absolute piece of poo poo lady after all, then ok actually everyone wins, which is the last thing I wanted. Very unsatisfying overall, which isn't something I want in times like these.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did you uh, not watch the end?

Also not that it really matters, but they weren't sex traffickers, or at least the movie did not acknowledge it. The photos they were going through were drug mules. They were drug smugglers. Either way they were pieces of poo poo though. Yes, you feel inclined to root for the mafia to some degree due to the circumstances, but I think trying to turn it into some imagined gamergate thing is a real stretch. The only really crowd pleasing ending I could think of would be her killing the mafia guy and then the old lady killing her. What we got was probably a better ending though and I'm glad they gave Macon Blair something to do.

I knew this movie was going to give some people trouble, because there is really no one to root for. Everyone is a piece of poo poo. it's best watched if you are not rooting at all or rooting against everyone.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

veni veni veni posted:

Watched Avatar for the first time since theaters, and I have always enjoyed making fun of that movie, but tbh it's pretty fun. I enjoyed it.

The dialogue gets more painful with age.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Still waiting to watch Avatar in 4K HDR. James Cameron please.

:negative:

I’ll get you that, True Lies on Blu, and good quality Blus of Terminator 1 & 2, I just need 300 years

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I foolishly searched for a T1 4K a few weeks back...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finally got around to watching "An American Pickle".

Talk about a lovely movie. So much potential wasted.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GD_American posted:

The dialogue gets more painful with age.

Oh yeah. Also it's amazing how dumb Jake is, and the evil army guy is an absolute cartoon. Although I think most of the actors did well with what they were given.

I'd still never call it a great movie or anything but it is a lot of fun. And it's paced pretty well for something that is so goddamn long.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What's the relationship between National Geographic the channel and the National Geographic part of Disney+? Does Disney+ in theory get everything eventually?

Asking because I want to watch this but we don't have cable: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/movies-and-specials/the-new-air-force-one-flying-fortress

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

married but discreet posted:

the sex trafficing mafia bros

Were you in the same room as the TV?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

Did you uh, not watch the end?

She got everything she wanted and yeah she died but she died a hero, and she said before she doesn't really care about death

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Were you in the same room as the TV?

The pictures read sex trafficking to me, but as veni veni veni pointed out they were apparently drug smugglers?

Also unrelated, but googling the movie I saw a quite strange thing:

Not just this movie, or Netflix specific:

Is this plagiarism, placed ads that are supposed to look like reviews or what?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Could just be a web conglomerate like Vox reposting an article to all of their subsites.

Edit: Catching The Last Action Hero on Starz, the movie is a lot better than I remember giving it credit for.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 22, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
HBO Max: It's a Sin

Comedy/drama about gay friends living in London during the 80s.

It is VERY good.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I hear it's a near-flawless portrait of queer youth!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I vote SEO or ads scam. Both businesses are super sketchy and do this sort of thing all the time.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

King of Bleh posted:

I hear it's a near-flawless portrait of queer youth!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or what

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or what

Not just this movie, or Netflix specific:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My guess is that it's the press package for the movie being regurgitated or paid reviews/blurbs, which both seem pretty common

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Edit: Catching The Last Action Hero on Starz, the movie is a lot better than I remember giving it credit for.

While there are still good action movies out there, I can't help but feel we've lost some of the magic since peak Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Modern action movies are either too gritty or trying too hard to be campy.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 22, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Ohhhh lol. That's loving hilarious.

What's bizarre is that the show really is that good. I'm serious, it's the kind of show that's... obviously good, like Chernobyl or Deadwood. So if they paid for that, they just threw money away because it'd have gotten glowing reviews no matter what lol

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Simone Magus posted:

HBO Max: It's a Sin

Comedy/drama about gay friends living in London during the 80s.

It is VERY good.

I watched the last 20 minutes again today, I started to cry again.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

I watched the last 20 minutes again today, I started to cry again.

Colin is too good and pure for this universe. I love him.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, echoing the posts about It's a Sin, it's been available to stream for a short while already in the UK, and I've been recommending it to folks here. Best bit of drama I've seen in a while, really moving.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Also started The Knick now that it's on Max and uh yeah it's also incredibly good. Clive Owen has always been one of my favourite actors

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I watched the first episode of Allen vs Farrow. I know this is going to come as a shock to people but christ Woody Allen is a piece of poo poo. (They didn't get to the molestation part yet either)

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Every time, and I mean every time, I see that title I think there's a new Alien vs. (Something) film coming out.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Every time, and I mean every time, I see that title I think there's a new Alien vs. (Something) film coming out.

There is in fact a character named farrow in aliens who is killed by an alien so it tracks

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Class Warcraft posted:

There is in fact a character named farrow in aliens who is killed by an alien so it tracks

Ferro

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t want to be the one to do it lmao.

She has the best line in the film too. “We’re in the pipe, 5 by 5...”

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Aliens had a board game/RPG way back when, and Ferro got her pistol out in time if you rolled a 6.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Close enough.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I wasn't really that taken by Nomadland. I understand why people are though, just the realness and tragedy of these realities is enough to power a decent dramatic vehicle, and so many people are hungry for any crumb of populism and recognition of gig capitalist evil...but it felt mostly toothless, more Into the Wild-y than I wanted or expected...
It's funny, all of the scenes with the authentic nomads were great. Nothing against Frances McDormand or anything, but the docudrama nature and the fact that it was basically her and David Strathairn surrounded by these real nomads just made me wish I was seeing a politically incisive documentary instead of "Frances McDormand inserts herself to reveal the tragedy of the common people". Plenty of pretty nature vistas for sure.
I understand the need to survive and adapt to new conditions and find beauty in your life, but it felt like it was more about discovering the rugged frontier individualism of the new reality rather than condemning the evil that brought it about and showing the real ugliness and desperation past making GBS threads in a bucket and old people dying (people have surgeries but there's little mention of healthcare, and the idea of moving into your well-off family's home is shown as some sort of surrender, as if the type of people who become nomadic Amazon seasonal workers aren't living that way because of our coercive corporate oligarchic economic structures rather than some choice to be on the "new frontier").

Maybe I'm being too harsh though, expecting too much, blaming it for what I assumed it would be. It was still a decent movie and definitely moving at times. A solid B-. It's not Nomadland's fault people are acclaiming it so hard. I guess I'd rather have seen a documentary based on the book. I wanted more Harlan County USA vibes, less Into the Wild and wannabe Kelly Reichardt/Terrence Malick vibes. It just felt like something was...missing.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 22, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

mcmagic posted:

I watched the first episode of Allen vs Farrow. I know this is going to come as a shock to people but christ Woody Allen is a piece of poo poo. (They didn't get to the molestation part yet either)

I never really knew the details because I didn't like his movies and never sought the info out. I knew about Soon-Yi of course, and that there were allegations from Dylan, but I had no idea how... loving unambiguous it seems to be true, that it started when she was loving 5 and that everyone already suspected it back then.

Holy mother, yeah, he seems in all likelihood to be an enormously evil person and I'm really, really glad I already disliked his films so that I don't have to consciously avoid them

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I wasn't really that taken by Nomadland.

i appreciate this write up. a movie buddy of mine who isn't very good at articulating his thoughts told me this was great, but had trouble telling me why he thought so and just kept talking up how good an actress frances mcdormand is.

he is pretty ultra lib, though, and i suspected there was some political ideological reason it resonated with him so much.

i actually really liked into the wild, or at least from what i remember since it's been almost a decade now i think, so i'll still check this out i guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Simone Magus posted:

I never really knew the details because I didn't like his movies and never sought the info out. I knew about Soon-Yi of course, and that there were allegations from Dylan, but I had no idea how... loving unambiguous it seems to be true, that it started when she was loving 5 and that everyone already suspected it back then.

Holy mother, yeah, he seems in all likelihood to be an enormously evil person and I'm really, really glad I already disliked his films so that I don't have to consciously avoid them

I grew up loving his films and I probably have seen all of them and I really was finding it harder to separate him from his films but I think it's just impossible now.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I wasn't really that taken by Nomadland.

I read today that this is a pretty common criticism of the movie, so you're not alone.

I watched it last night. It was good, but it didn't scream Oscar front runner to me. I love Frances McDormand, she of course did her thing here. I thought the plot was lacking substance and meandering though. It sort of seemed like the message of the movie was, "Life's tough, help your fellow man, except, don't."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Simone Magus posted:

yea it's a thing where you likely know the general concept of 'Woody's a pedophile who raped his daughter' but, like, people forget how completely uncontroversial the accusation was on merits but instead was just argued with vague 'well Mia's a poo poo mom too' and general 'come on who doesn't like Annie Hall????' Like, people completely thought it was probably true from the get-go.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

mcmagic posted:

I grew up loving his films and I probably have seen all of them and I really was finding it harder to separate him from his films but I think it's just impossible now.

Manhattan is unthinkable to watch now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

Manhattan is unthinkable to watch now

That is such a great movie but Mariel Hemmingway even said that he tried to date her during that movie and she was 17. He's a complete ghoul.