Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

Donuts are actually the secret shame already because you can just get a dozen and no one knows you're not taking them to a group of people but just eating them all by yourself in your car.

This is why when I go in I have my cell phone up to my ear and I say "What did you want? Chocolate frosted? Okay!" and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Lu Bu fanboys alert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8pyNXNtZBM

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Medullah posted:

This is why when I go in I have my cell phone up to my ear and I say "What did you want? Chocolate frosted? Okay!" and such.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I feel a little cautious about pursuing this.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It looks like it knows what it is, at least.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Simone Magus posted:

I respect your deeply wrong opinion

He's right, because if you watch the bonus content interview with the writer/director for Shoot 'Em Up you realize that he wasn't shooting for parody, he honestly just thought it all was incredibly cool. Like an eleven year- old with a Hollywood budget.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

tetrapyloctomy posted:

He's right, because if you watch the bonus content interview with the writer/director for Shoot 'Em Up you realize that he wasn't shooting for parody, he honestly just thought it all was incredibly cool. Like an eleven year- old with a Hollywood budget.

Interesting but the author is dead

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Walk Hard is the best music biopic and Die Hard is the best Christmas movie so it's not too far outside of the realm of possibility.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

Walk Hard is the best music biopic and Die Hard is the best Christmas movie so it's not too far outside of the realm of possibility.

John C Reily fans should check out Cyrus. I watched t recently and thought it was quite good. It's not the madcap comedy you'd expect from the description.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I watched Bliss on Prime, knowing nothing about it except that it was a new sci-fi movie with Owen Wilson. It wasn't super great, but it was a fairly interesting as a study of codependency, addiction, and mental health issues.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

smackfu posted:

Heh, I live in New England and I don’t think we even have mom & pop donut shops. Probably because Dunkin Donuts has been so dominating for decades.

Where in New England? I guess parts of NH can be pretty slim on local shops, from what I can remember. But there always seemed to be a lot in MA.

If you're ever near Lowell, MA, check out Top Donut. Solid, classic mom-and-pop donuts!

Simone Magus posted:

I respect your deeply wrong opinion

I've always thought Hot Fuzz was super-overrated. It's Edgar Wright's second worst movie, succeeded only by Baby Driver.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

frogbs posted:

I've always thought Hot Fuzz was super-overrated. It's Edgar Wright's second worst movie, succeeded only by Baby Driver.

In a vacuum.......I guess you could make this argument?

As a parody, it's incredibly solid. And it's certainly just a better overall movie than World's End.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hot Fuzz has some of the best, tightest plotting I've seen in a modern movie.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I always get Shoot Em Up and RocknRolla confused in my brain.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I honestly found Shoot Em Up barely tolerable and i was closer to the right age to enjoy it back then. I'm not sure why exactly, it just didn't "work". I'd take both Crank movies (which to be fair are also obnoxious and lovely often) over it any day of the week.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

:golfclap:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I honestly found Shoot Em Up barely tolerable and i was closer to the right age to enjoy it back then. I'm not sure why exactly, it just didn't "work". I'd take both Crank movies (which to be fair are also obnoxious and lovely often) over it any day of the week.

Same. The various poo poo he does to kill people so far out of the realm of realism that I couldn't suspend my disbelief but also didn't strike me as humorous enough to make it work. Just didn't fall firmly in either bucket.

frogbs posted:

Where in New England? I guess parts of NH can be pretty slim on local shops, from what I can remember. But there always seemed to be a lot in MA.

It's certainly possible that it's overrated considering people gush over it constantly, but I'm also one of those people and if someone told me that they honestly did not enjoy Hot Fuzz I wouldn't really trust movie recs from them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tokelau All Star posted:

I watched Bliss on Prime, knowing nothing about it except that it was a new sci-fi movie with Owen Wilson. It wasn't super great, but it was a fairly interesting as a study of codependency, addiction, and mental health issues.

Yeah it wasn’t amazing, but I quite liked it. I don’t think it deserved the panning it got at all.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm watching Black Sea its dope.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I can't get All Eyes from Inside out of my head.

I think after watching this within a couple days of finishing Omori, I need something light and fluffy to cleanse my mind. I hear that Wish Dragon is good and wholesome, I think that's next on the list.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Peacock's now on Fire TV.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
On today's edition of "Teriyaki Hairpiece gets amused by the categorization of movies on Prime Video":

This brightened my day.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Thank you to those who recommended Halt and Catch Fire. The early seasons were good but the latter half was really incredible. The way the show ended left me absolutely speechless and I could barely sleep last night. Just beautiful and tragic and so real. Highly recommend it.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 24, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm currently marathoning The Good Fight on Paramount Plus. I should have known better given how bad The Good Wife got after season 1, but it's truly a stupendously terrible show. I won't get into how it's a legal drama that has absolutely no understanding of how the legal system actually works, because that could be an entire essay. I just don't understand how they've gotten some great actors to waste their talents on this show. Like, Michael Sheen did a season long story arc where he did an incomprehensibly bad late era Al Pacino impression.

Also, Rose Leslie's American accent is not good.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Shoot 'Em Up was Pepsi to Crank's coca cola. Clive Owen isn't as funny as Jason Statham, and the carrots stuff was just tiresome. Crank at least moves from idiotic idea to idiotic idea quickly.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Black Summer even though it was dumb as hell. I think the second season is leagues better.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Thank you to those who recommended Halt and Catch Fire. The early seasons were good but the latter half was really incredible. The way the show ended left me absolutely speechless and I could barely sleep last night. Just beautiful and tragic and so real. Highly recommend it.

The first season is really not that great. But it's important to the rest and you can't skip it! I hate when people say "you've gotta watch this, keep powering through, it gets better" Because tv viewing shouldn't be work. But Halt and Catch Fire is worth it. It is rewarding. Everything pays off. It's what a tv show should be. And it doesn't wear out its welcome it's not too long it doesn't become a zombie show. This may be heretical but I don't think Mad Men should've been as long as it was.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Iliza Schlesinger's new movie Good on Paper is decent. It's predictable. I'm lukewarm on her standup stuff, but she does write a movie that's pretty earnest and avoids a lot of romcom pitfalls. Margaret Cho chews scenery, but she's good at it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GD_American posted:

Iliza Schlesinger's new movie Good on Paper is decent. It's predictable. I'm lukewarm on her standup stuff, but she does write a movie that's pretty earnest and avoids a lot of romcom pitfalls. Margaret Cho chews scenery, but she's good at it.

It's a movie? Man, I'm so burned out on everything being a new show I just assumed it was a series.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I liked the first season of HaCF. The other seasons are better, but S1 is still good TV.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Chas McGill posted:

I liked the first season of HaCF. The other seasons are better, but S1 is still good TV.

Me too. I actually liked it a lot, and while I can see why that season falls short (it is not at the level of the other seasons), I don’t understand the hate it gets sometimes. To me if you didn’t like season 1 at all, good chance the show is not for you.

Disposable Scud posted:

I liked Black Summer even though it was dumb as hell. I think the second season is leagues better.

That is good to hear. I enjoyed season 1 as a guilty pleasure and I was debating to watch season 2 or not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Black Summer Season 2 is neat. I really liked how they portrayed the chaos of two groups attacking each other while fending off their comrades that turn the instant they get got.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Watched the first few eps of Bosch s7 last night. Lost it a bit when (mild ep1 spoiler) Jerry Edgar said that he binged The Wire after the season big bad was compared to Stringer Bell

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Watching the detectorists again. I don’t think I ever saw season three before

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Family Business on Netflix is great. It's a French series about a family trying to start a cannabis coffeeshop. I don't think weed really works as the central focus of a TV show; it's not serious enough for a drama and the jokes are too boring for a comedy. The writers agreed, and made a show about a quirky Parisian family whose butcher shop is failing. It's funny, sad, exciting, and I was thrilled to immediately recognize the coffeeshop they visit in Amsterdam. I recommend subtitles, then you can tell people you've read something this week

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Finally watched the new Bo special, I’d kill to see a Bo/Gambino project. Be it music or comedy or some mix, just got it in my head their colab would be amazing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fallom posted:

Black Summer Season 2 is neat. I really liked how they portrayed the chaos of two groups attacking each other while fending off their comrades that turn the instant they get got.

Black Summer is the best zombie thing in ages, you basically have to back to 28 Days Later for something similar in tone. The amount of work they do on Black Summer for the physical action alone sets it above other stuff in genre and it's revitalized it, at least for me.

The second season is probably overall better than the first. The storyline is nothing incredible but the storytelling is top notch.

That it's produced by the Asylum is completely weird. It was a bad idea for them to market it as a Z Nation spinoff as it has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 26, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Isnt it based off a Warren Ellis comic book

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The Black Summer is an event that occurred and is mentioned numerous times in Z Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Should I binge Carnivale or Mare of Easttown before my HBOMax subscription lapses?