Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean what makes the Irishman interesting to me is that alongside the personal tragedy, you have the tragedy of the American labor movement getting undone by a bunch of greedy assholes who were more interested in enriching themselves- and how Hoffa, while certainly corrupted to some extent, was basically killed for not being corrupt enough.

Yeah and most of the people involved in his murder (as portrayed in the movie) ended up dying just a few years later anyway.

Which reminds me of another way the movie distinguished itself from other mob movies: the onscreen text telling you about character’s deaths instead of the usual murder montage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Groovelord Neato posted:

Correct takes are lovely now?

Weekly episodes of TV are the same as staggering releases of book chapters, ok

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Paul ReiserFS posted:

This is the more innocent and pure hearted view, as it frames the episodic series as a long, complex and carefully woven story instead of a vehicle for advertising

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Paul ReiserFS posted:

For a lot of shows created nowadays yes.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Inspector Hound posted:

This is the more innocent and pure hearted view, as it frames the episodic series as a long, complex and carefully woven story instead of a vehicle for advertising

:hmmyes:

There is no such thing as ethical streaming under capitalism

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Man, why does anything even matter no more.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Irishman was supa

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I haven't seen The Irishman yet, but it definitely doesn't sound boring.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1193661467129630720

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Irishman was supa

I liked it a lot. I noticed the profile shots, especially of old cars, Scorsese slow mo, and a couple of scenes where the dialogue itself was essentially meaningless and what the characters were saying was communicated with stares and tone really effectively.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked it a lot. I noticed the profile shots, especially of old cars, Scorsese slow mo, and a couple of scenes where the dialogue itself was essentially meaningless and what the characters were saying was communicated with stares and tone really effectively.

I appreciated that a lot of the conversations where mobsters are talking to each other Scorsese trusts the audience to have seen similar films in the past and so, like you said, very little of the actual meaning has to be spelled out. Like, when you're setting up a meeting between someone and a mafia boss to broker peace but then at the last minute you're ordered to not attend the meeting and your questions are greeted with intense stares, we all know what that means.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm not gonna have 4 hours uninterrupted to devote to Irishman for a while. Does this breakdown seem like it would work?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I watched the movie on two sittings and enjoyed it nonetheless. I can’t imagine watching part 3 and 4 non continuously though

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm not gonna have 4 hours uninterrupted to devote to Irishman for a while. Does this breakdown seem like it would work?

Hahahha yes, make all movies episodic

Watch The Godfather weekly across all of 2020

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The Irishman was good but a little too long. The end dragged on way longer than it should have I think

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

If you really want; I watched it in two pieces but I kind of wish I had just started at 7 or 8 or so and stayed up late

Basebf555 posted:

I appreciated that a lot of the conversations where mobsters are talking to each other Scorsese trusts the audience to have seen similar films in the past and so, like you said, very little of the actual meaning has to be spelled out. Like, when you're setting up a meeting between someone and a mafia boss to broker peace but then at the last minute you're ordered to not attend the meeting and your questions are greeted with intense stares, we all know what that means.

Joe Pesci's stare at Robert DeNiro while Harvey Keitel was asking him questions will probably be burned into my mind forever

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 3, 2019

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I finally watched a film I'd put on my mental "to see" list years ago: Winter's Bone.

It's on tubi.tv, the free streaming service. Pretty sure this is either Jennifer Lawrence's first role or at least the one that brought her to everyone's attention, I remember hearing it reviewed on NPR or something years ago when it was released and being interested in seeing it.

It's an indie drama where her character is a teenage girl effectively heading up a household in a meth ridden trailer trash hellscape in the Missouri Ozarks, as her father is absent and her mother crippled by mental illness.

The plot centers around her trying to find her father as her family's house will be seized if he misses a looming court date. The movie matter of factly tracks her movements to the various corners of her little world trying to find him.

It's a tightly made if depressing little drama, and I think it's the best role I've seen her in, of her films that I've watched.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The book is equally tight and slightly more depressing. Both are awesome.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
John Hawkes is so loving good in Winter’s Bone

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just saw another John Hawkes movie on Netflix called Too Late. It came out in 2015, but it really feels like one of those post-Pulp Fiction quirky crime dramedies from the '90s -- movies like Two Days in the Valley and Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead. It has a real '70s feel and style to it, despite being set in modern times. More than anything else, I got a strong Elmore Leonard vibe, maybe because it was about a tough detective, idiot criminals, sexy women, and a killer. On top of that, it starred Hawkes (who was in Life of Crime, based on Leonard's novel The Switch, an earlier story about the characters from Rum Punch/Jackie Brown) and also featured Robert Forster (from Jackie Brown) and Natalie Zea (from Justified).

Hawkes plays a hard-boiled private detective in L.A., but the most interesting thing is that the movie is divided into five vignettes, each one about 20 minutes, and each one filmed in one long, uninterrupted take with no cuts. I liked it, but I love detective stories, anything Leonard-esque, and anything with time jumps and twists and non-linear structure.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 3, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

veni veni veni posted:

I’m just tired of mafia poo poo tbh.
This except Goodfellas made me nauseous and I never got to the point where I really like mafia movies.

e: this is an easier thing to admit in 2019 than it was previously.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel you.They've always been a hard sell for me, but it's always felt like something I'm supposed to like. I've always thought Goodfellas loving sucked and most of the genre is just a thinly veiled celebration of human trash.

The Sopranos is so good though...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just saw another John Hawkes movie on Netflix called Too Late. It came out in 2015, but it really feels like one of those post-Pulp Fiction quirky crime dramedies from the '90s -- movies like Two Days in the Valley and Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead. It has a real '70s feel and style to it, despite being set in modern times. More than anything else, I got a strong Elmore Leonard vibe, maybe because it was about a tough detective, idiot criminals, sexy women, and a killer. On top of that, it starred Hawkes (who was in Life of Crime, based on Leonard's novel The Switch, an earlier story about the characters from Rum Punch/Jackie Brown) and also featured Robert Forster (from Jackie Brown) and Natalie Zea (from Justified).

Hawkes plays a hard-boiled private detective in L.A., but the most interesting thing is that the movie is divided into five vignettes, each one about 20 minutes, and each one filmed in one long, uninterrupted take with no cuts. I liked it, but I love detective stories, anything Leonard-esque, and anything with time jumps and twists and non-linear structure.

Now that's a hot tip. I'll jump on that this week.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

This except Goodfellas made me nauseous and I never got to the point where I really like mafia movies.

e: this is an easier thing to admit in 2019 than it was previously.

Nauseous from what exactly? I'm assuming in the sense that what is shown on screen made you feel sick, but I can't figure out what was especially gory or unsettling visually. Maybe the Billy Batts stuff?

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 3, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sand Monster posted:

Nauseous from what exactly? I'm assuming in the sense that what is shown on screen made you feel sick, but I can't figure out what was especially gory or unsettling visually. Maybe the Billy Batts stuff?

Yea I mean within the first 2 minutes you've got these guys pulling over the car and graphically stabbing and shooting a guy while he pleads for his life. Not a great first impression if that kinda thing is a deal-breaker for you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Enos Cabell posted:

Nah you need to flip ep 1 and 3 for the patented mid series momentum killing flashback to information you should have had the whole time that was withheld as a "twist"

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I can't find this on US Netflix (I assume you are in another region). I did find Life of Crime on Hulu tho.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Too Late was on US Netflix at one point, or at least I think that's how I watched it

It's definitely worth tracking down. John Hawkes is a national treasure

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
drat, I watched Too Late on Netflix over the long weekend. I wonder if they removed it on December 1st! I'm so sorry to be a tease. Looks like you can rent it for $1.99 on Amazon.

Life of Crime is good, though. Hawkes, Mos Def, and Isla Fisher play the characters played by DeNiro, Samuel L. Jackson, and Bridget Fonda in Jackie Brown.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 3, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sand Monster posted:

mostly the murders

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I thought this musical number was really out of place in The Irishman

https://youtu.be/8d3IM8lIASI

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Inspector Hound posted:

I thought this musical number was really out of place in The Irishman

https://youtu.be/8d3IM8lIASI

Hahahahaha this song samples from Blondie's song Rapture. Blondie raps in Rapture and it's not great there either.

edit: It's the bitches that'll get yas

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jolo posted:

edit: It's the bitches that'll get yas

His ex-wife put a hit out on her next husband so Joe ended up being right.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Watching this season of The Crown, and I just realized it has become an episodic show disguised as a serial. In my memory the show felt more serial like in the first 2 seasons (maybe my memory is fooling me but I swear it was more of mix), but every episode so far this season are pure stand alone. As someone who has avoided episodic TV since the late 90's (I couldn't even finish the first season of Justified), I can't believe how much I am enjoy the fact it is episodic.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think you nailed it. The standalone nature of the documentary episode made it easy to watch and enjoy with my wife despite my not watching the rest of the series.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nate fisher posted:

Watching this season of The Crown, and I just realized it has become an episodic show disguised as a serial. In my memory the show felt more serial like in the first 2 seasons (maybe my memory is fooling me but I swear it was more of mix), but every episode so far this season are pure stand alone. As someone who has avoided episodic TV since the late 90's (I couldn't even finish the first season of Justified), I can't believe how much I am enjoy the fact it is episodic.

I haven't seen the new stuff (canceled Netflix ages ago) but anything would have to be better than the first season. Lithgow was the only bright spot.

Jascum
Sep 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

nate fisher posted:

I think it has become a show entirely about asking people for favors and backstabbing. It feels like the last couple seasons of Sopranos or House of Cards now.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Party Legends on Hulu is loving insane.

Watch Bushwick Bill's story if you just want to see a good snippet of it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nice. I am aware of Bushwick Bills story but I’m still gonna watch it

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
There's way more to it than I had heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Holy poo poo I just finally got around to watching Aniara and I only wish I'd watched it sooner. Good science fiction is always in short supply.