Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Patriot is great overall, but the first few episodes are pretty boring. I stopped watching for a while after episode 2 or 3 because I just didn’t care. But I went back to it eventually and then it really started getting good.

Good to know. I bailed halfway through Ep 3 but keep seeing everyone in here real into it. I'll give it another go.

Just finishing up "The Highwaymen" on Netflix right now, it's been a real treat. Good flick on Bonnie and Clyde, been enjoying the cars, set and costume work in addition to the rest of the quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Really weird seeing Marlo Stanfield as a cop in Bosch

I like him in the role though. He's done well from season to season.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tim Roth is a much better actor than Russel Crowe.

Rob Roy is on streaming and honestly he's the only good part. The rest of it was just so sappy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Got around to watching Bodyguard on Netflix. Pretty solid series. The last episode or two were good enough to recommend watching the whole season. Good crime / terrorist drama.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Jason X is available on Netflix right now if you'd just like to skip to the best one.

Hell yeah

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Just finished ep.2 of Chernobyl, this show is really drat good. The pacing is great and it manages to maintain it's suspense the whole time.

Watching ep2 right now. That first scene is outstanding / something right out of a good horror film.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yep

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Frog Act posted:

So I’m watching Better Call Saul and it’s like three shows at once: a good interpersonal drama show about a lawyer struggling with going legit, a good crime show about an ex-cop working as a fixer, and a poorly paced drama about a woman who is having problems with her boss

I like the Kim Wexler character but her arc is just comparatively boring and weirdly unconnected to the rest of the show, I don’t quite understand why it gets so much screen time, but I’m only halfway through season 2

Watched through S4 and I felt like I liked her character more and more?

That Works fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 28, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Isn't Ozark an Amazon Prime show, not Netflix?

Netflix

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Frog Act posted:

so I have a slightly weird movie recommendation request: my favorite movie ever is Repo Man. I love stuff like Assault on Precinct 13, They Live, Death Wish, The Warriors, Escape from NY, etc and to a slightly lesser extent, Soylent Green and Omega Man. basically things from the 70's/80's that have synthesizer heavy soundtracks and an aesthetic focus on urban decay in the late 20th century, particularly in big urban areas. like, I watched Death Wish II last night (objectively a horrible movie that Ebert correctly gave 0 stars for lacking both stylistic merit and being "morally repulsive") and remembered why I liked it despite that stuff - the street scenes of urban decay in LA, where Kersey wanders around hunting the inexplicably multiracial rape gang of 80s syle punks.

can anyone think of anything else in this genre? specifically stuff with lots of or at least a few compelling scenes like the one from Repo Man when Otto learns he won't be able to go to college and takes a long walk around lovely neighborhoods kicking a can, or the original Death Wish street scenes? I just have this deep affection for depictions of decay and social unease in this period and things like The Warriors or the beginning of Romero's Day of the Dead where the police are heading to the slums/the news reporters are working.

i've seen lots of stuff from this era but it also seems as though the most compelling scenes of this type are often buried in otherwise lovely films so I'm wondering if anyone else digs this particular thing

That Romero scene gets me too, glad to see am not alone. The rest of that movie I could care less about really but the opening act is interesting.

Not sure if it really quite fits the bill but Strange Days might be like that a bit? Long time since I saw it. Miracle Mile also has some elements of that in there. Also Robocop, I don't care if you've seen it, it's always the right time to recommend Robocop.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I haven't seen Streets of Fire either.... Thanks all

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Skratchez posted:

:hai:

RfaD was awesome when I first watched it. It was a full assault on the senses, not like that wussy stuff Aranofsky did with Pi. Now it's just a full assault on the senses and I'm like, okay I get it, heroin is bad.

Scanner is very different.

Glad to see this. I really enjoyed RfaD the only time I saw it not long after it came out. I still remember a lot of details / specifics, it made an impact. But, I feel like it would be less interesting going back to see it at this point. I had thought a few times about doing so but never did. I think I'm content to just let it be what it was.

Speaking of other things that didn't hold up well, I was in the unfortunate position to watch some of the Jay and Silent Bob movies recently and oof, they were already mediocre but that humor did not hold up at all. 'There's Something About Mary' might still be one of the fastest / worst movies that completely is tone deaf and bad now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Skratchez posted:

I used to love it when I was younger, saw it in theaters, owned the soundtrack (Thanks Mr. Reznor for introducing me to Leonard Cohen) but watching the opening "comedy" scene with Rodney Dangerfield and Juliette Lewis is now a lot harder than it was. :shrug:

I still think that Woody Harrelson was cast in "The Highwaymen" to make an interesting bookend to his role in NBK.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Season 1 had too many instances of people doing dumb stuff so the villain could escape again. It should have been a tight ten episodes. I feel similarly about season 3 so far, I'm maybe nine episodes in.

S3 is basically 75% yelling at one character to just stop loving up and they keep loving up. "I told you about powers bro, I told you".

It's good otherwise for some character development aspects but I feel like it let 1-2 of the sideplotlines just drop without good resolution or hints that it would go forward from where they were. Malcom and Hogarth both kinda ended on down notes but not really in a way that they learned or changed, nor in a way that hinted at anything changing for them after, seemed like the writers just decided to end their stories without a conclusion.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

To be fair, word is that both the showrunners and Netflix wanted to reduce the episode orders for all of the Marvel shows after The Defenders but Disney wouldn’t budge since they were getting paid a flat amount per episode.

Which is funny because if they were shorter and of better quality I'd be tempted to stream them on Disney's eventual service but lmao hell no at buying yet another streaming platform subscription in 2019.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Excalibur is on Starz, does that qualify for this thread? It's ridiculously good, I can't believe I waited this long to see it.

It owns

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ever since I saw him in S1E1 of Justified Walton Goggins has owned. He's always typecast and a bit of a one note on that at times but man does he kill it whenever he gets a chance in a scene.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

I rewatched the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary and it still remains my favorite documentary of all time. It gets all the facts and events across effectively with a pretty clinical tone typical of a Ken Burns joint, but it doesn't fall into the same trap that the civil war one does of being too dry to binge through since it was recent enough to have footage and commentary from the people who were actually there which gives it the emotional aspect and visual flair that it needs to stay incredibly compelling. There are some truly chilling moments in there that really stick with you. It also has a relatively balanced perspective with commentary from the American, North Vietnamese, and South Vietnamese side, from military, civilian, and political points of view.

It really exemplifies what a documentary should be in my opinion.

I loved it but I think that Baseball still wins out for one of my favorite documentaries. I wish he'd come back and do another episode or two now that it's been another 20 yrs or so.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I have Canadian Netflix so I'm not too sure what would be available to you, but here's a super informal list I made years ago to recommend Korean movies to friends. They're mostly all really enjoyable unless it says otherwise. Hopefully this is ok to post:

**Gangster**

1. A Bittersweet Life -Good gangster action movie
2. A Dirty Carnival -Gangster foot soldier does some things and kills some dudes. Very good.
3. Rough Cut -Gangster agrees to act in an rear end in a top hat’s movie, but the catch is he demands that they shoot the action scenes for real.
4. My Wife is a Gangster -Mediocre
5. Friend -Coming of age, very good.
6. Sunflower -Dude gets out of jail and doesn’t want to be involved in crime at all anymore. Everyone is scared shitless of him and thinks he’s planning something. Really good, the end pays off well.
7. The Show Must Go On (Kang-Ho Song) -Gangster tries to make enough cash to get out of the gangsta business, good movie.
8. New World -Cop joins the biggest gang, becomes second in command. Gang leader dies, power vacuum is created, he has to decide whether he wants to be a gangsta or a cop. Really enjoyed it.
9. Bloody Tie -Gangster starts leaking info to a cop about a gang that killed his friend. Don’t really remember much else so it was probably not that great.
10. No. 3 -About a bunch of different storylines intersecting or something, saw it a while ago. Think it’s comedy too. Liked it.
11. Sarang/ A Love -I was drunk. I don’t remember.

**Crime**

1. Memories of Murder -Police procedural/thrillery/mystery, one of the top Korean movies and influential as well.
2. Children -(Very good) Based on a real event, some kids go missing and this professor and reporter start trying to solve it, really really good movie.
3. The Chaser -Absolute hands down favourite Korean, Suspense.
4. The Yellow Sea -From the same director/actors as the chaser, but was mediocre).
5. City of Violence -Two bros raise hell trying to find out who killed their friend. Action, pretty good fight scenes.
6. World of Silence -About a photographer who is suspected in serial killing kids or something. Was okay I guess. .
7. Mother -Same director who did memories of murder. Woman’s mentally handicapped son is arrested for murder, she doesn’t think he did it and sets out to solve the murder herself.
8. Secret Reunion -About an ex south and ex north korean spy teaming up for something. Was okay
9. Countdown -Dude who needs a liver transplant makes a deal with a woman in prison for once she’s released, but she gets released and a bunch of people are after her.
10. Pieta -A brutal debt collector gets his outlook changed when a woman appears claiming to be his mother.
11. A Confession of Murder A man claiming to be a famous serious killer emerges just as the statute of limitations runs out. Was alright.

**Revenge**

1. Mr. Vengeance -Didn’t like as much (Part 1 of Vengeance trilogy. DIFFERENT STORIES)
2. Oldboy -Part 2 of vengeance trilogy
3. Lady Vengeance -Part 3. Can’t remember much, stars a girl trying to find a guy who did bad things to her or something .
4. I Saw the Devil -Spy vs Serial Killer.
5. The Man from Nowhere -Almost the same plot as Taken but 10x better. Good knife fights.

**Comedy**

1. The Foul King -Wrestling comedy, quite good. Have to use AsiaTorrents to get it. Kang-Ho Song
2. My Sassy Girl -Also part Rom-Com, but really really good and hilarious
3. The Host -Monster movie, Kang-Ho Song
4. The Quiet Family -Dark comedy, family buys hotel, people keep dying, they just keep burying the bodies. Kang-Ho Song and Min-Sik Choi
5. Welcome to Dongmakgol -South and North Korean soldiers are stranded in a remote village during the Korean war, must cooperate. Funny and well shot
6. The King and the Clown -A group of jesters have to keep putting on shows for a crazy king, also part drama but really good
7. I’m A Cyborg, But That’s OK -Didn’t like this one much, didn’t even finish
8. Guns and Talks -Group of assassins doing assassin stuff, really good and lots of actors from other movies
9. Attack the Gas Station -Group of friends decide to rob a gas station, station doesn’t have much money so they run the station for a night to take the money. Things go bad and what not)
10. Castaway on the Moon -Man stuck on a deserted island in the middle of a city. Very good, comedy.
11. The Good, The Bad, The Weird -Western, 3 of the biggest Korean stars (Kang-Ho Song, Byung-Hun Lee and a guy
12. YMCA Baseball -Kang-Ho Song, about a Korean baseball team
13. Hello Ghost -Dude can suddenly see 4 ghosts who won’t go away until he fulfills their last requests.
14. The President’s Last Bang: -Black comedy about the immediate aftermath of the president’s assassination.
15. The President’s Barber -Comedy about a barber who becomes the president’s barber and important korean moments thru his eyes. Kang-Ho Song.
16. The Thieves: -Bunch of Koreans and I think Japanese thieves team up to pull of a big heist. Pretty hollywood type movie, p good.
17. Big Bang -Really by the books straight edge dude gets arrested for something minor, decides gently caress it if im going to jail I might as well enjoy it and go to jail for a long time. Goes on a hilarious rampage with another petty criminal. Recommended
18. Going By the Book: -By the book cop gets chosen by new police chief to stage a fake bank robbery for the cops to use as practice. Turns out he’s really good at it and takes it very seriously. Really good.
19. Arahan: -About a cop who discover he has martial arts powers or something. One of those CGI fighting movies. Was aight if you like that stuff.
20. Art Of Fighting -Highschool bully fodder starts getting fightin lessons from some ex champion or something.
21. Kick the Moon -In highschool there was a gangster kid and a straight arrow kid. 10 Years later the straight arrow kid is a gangster and the gangster is a highschool gym teacher. They start fighting over a woman.

**Drama**
1. JSA AKA Joint Security Area: -Kang-Ho Song, Bittersweet Life guy and some other big stars, 2 north and south Korean soldiers stationed on opposite sides of a river start becoming friends. Bad things happen.
2. Secret Sunshine -Did not like. Lady’s son dies, she spends the next 2 hours of the movie crying and being boring.
3. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring...: -Drama about a monk or something, more an art house film, very little dialogue, shot incredibly. Found boring.
4. Crying Fist -Really good boxing movie that stars Oldboy guy.
5. Failan -Woman comes to Korea and wants to stay so she marries a washed up gangster who agrees to it cause he’s short on cash. Stars Oldboy guy and I thought it was meh.
6. Breathless aka poo poo Fly -Brutal movie about a super rear end in a top hat debt collector who befriends a highschool girl. About domestic violence and the cycle of abuse mostly.
7. Painted Fire/Strokes of Fire -Historical drama starring oldboy about an rear end in a top hat painted who changed the direction of korean art in the nineteenth century.

**WAR**

1. Silmido: -A bunch of Korean criminals are turned into soldiers getting trained for a suicide mission to kill the North Korean leader. Really good and actually happened, including the end.
2. Taegukgi -Two brothers fight in the korean war, good and well known internationally.
3. The Front Line -Dude is sent to a hill the north and south korean army are continually fighting over and changing ownership over every like day, to investigate a suspicious death of an officer. During korean war.
4. Admiral: Roaring Currents -About an admiral who takes on the Japanese fleet, also drama.

**Other**

1. Save the Green Planet: -Mix of pretty much every genre. Dude thinks his ex-boss is an alien so he abducts him.
2. Thirst -Kang-Ho Song vampire movie, very good (and also funny)
3. Fighter in the Wind -Based on the guy Ryu is modeled after. Like a Korean Ip Man but with a good story and characters.
4. Musa: -Like Dynasty Warriors
5. A Moment to Remember: -Romance about a guy who marries a lady with alzheimers or something. Crap.
6. Gangster High: -About a group of highschool friends who get involved against a gang or something. Was okay.
7. Age of Shadows -Korean War spy thriller.

There's also a not very active Korean Movies thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880996

And a couple old Korean Movie Megathreads:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525253

Quoting this so I can keep it for later, already bookmarked a few of these.

Also just want to chime in that 'New World' was fantastic and everyone should watch it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

Movies should return to battle scenes in the style of John Boorman’s Excalibur: use a shitload of fog to cover for the lack of extras

gently caress yes a lot more movies being like Excalibur would be awesome in a lot of ways.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

It took multiple posts before I stopped thinking "I thought that movie was about that guy learning to drop his lisp or whatever" and being confused

:laffo:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I've enjoyed the newest trilogy stuff so far.

That said, Rogue One was the best SW film since the originals imo.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm also just watching The Shield for the 1st time. S1 was kinda... meh. The individual episode stories were mostly boring or not very compelling but the S1 overall story arc was good enough to stay in. By the time it gets halfway through S2 though it's really up and humming. I just finished up S3 yesterday.

Also watching it mostly because I like Walton Goggins a lot and had also heard just how good the ending is, definitely did not click on the spoiler above.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lurker2006 posted:

At a certain point I just started skipping all the episodic procedural stuff with Dutch and Claudette.

In S2/S3 I'm really enjoying the Dutch and Claudette banter / mutual respect except for when out of nowhere Dutch kills the stray cat... wtf... wtf... Later on he adopts a kitten, please tell me Dutch doesn't become a psychopath .

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There was a nixed storyline where Dutch becomes/turns out to be a serial killer.

And it's good that they nixed it, because that sounds really dumb

Ok good, because watching Dutch become a pretty douchey (but self aware about it) character that does legit good work and learns from / stands up for Claudette has been fun to watch. He didn't need to be perfect but him being a villain would just be... unnecessary? There's already a bunch of bad cops.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

Dutch the serial killer is an extremely stupid and hilarious idea. Dutch works as a character because he’s kind of an elitist dick who looks down on certain people, but he’s also a legitimately good detective and a relatively moral person (for a cop) who cares about doing things the right way. Dutch and Claudette are the counterparts to the Strike Team, making him a serial killer is nothing but pure shock value.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about it too so far. Dutch is an interesting character whose a dick but learns and respects Claudette while still kinda being self aware about being a jackass and puffs himself up because of his insecurity. The whole time he's actually good at his job and gets stuff done. Having him be a closet serial killer would just be a dumb waste of a pretty interesting character. Too many villains already.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Out of all the things in The Shield my favorite moment is when the strike team gets video of Dutch singing a Duran Duran song in the car and then they bust his balls about it.

Just starting S4 and of course Vic is an antivaxxer, of course he is. This is not a story arc I expected.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I think some of you aren't going to be happy until we get a Star Wars show done by David Simon about the underground sex trade of Coruscant, trafficking twi'lek sex slaves, funded by death sticks money, from the gritty streets of Level 1313, all the way to the upper echelons of power in the Galactic Senate.

Star Wars is supposed to be fun. The Mandalorian is FUN.

:frogon:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm resigned to just going to :filez: at this point because shits only going to get dumber and its more expensive and more annoying to track down stuff between upwards of 5+ different streaming services just to watch a show or movie.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I think less of Netflix.

https://www.axios.com/netflix-ceo-reed-hastings-saudi-arabia-cebc8a3c-f7c5-4a5e-8009-871fe65c541b.html

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not sure why having a bunch of more expensive shittier Netflixes is "less of a hassle" than piracy.
Piracy is still pretty fast and simple.

This

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly I wonder if streaming services will eventually drive a bunch of people back to piracy as everything gets split up. I think the reason they have been so successful has been that they are good. But if it's a 30 different services that add up to more than cable and all have their own apps...who knows?

I mean, I've said I'm going back to piracy because of it. I'm not spending the same amount this coming year on streaming stuff to get less than I did previously which is what has already occurred.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Als self deprecating one liners hold up somewhat well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Medullah posted:

I mean, guys my age didn't care about any of that. It was all about Kelly Bundy.

*howls and cat-calls from studio audience*

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

old.flv posted:

The second season of You is some of the worst tv I have ever watched

Turn on your TV lol

E: alternatively yes, you are the worst thing I've watched

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

A good part of S4 of The Expanse was they took out one of the more annoying plot lines of the book. The 4th book was the weakest of the series so far and S4 isn't as good as S3 (still quite good imo) but it's a nice upgrade from the plotlines of the book which is pretty cool. I'm glad they gave them the creative control to make those changes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

What was that plotline?

I found the Bobbie plot to be pretty bleh this season. Still enjoyed the season overall though.

The Elvi character being super in love with Holden.

e: it was a big fangirl / crush thing that they kept alluding to in her private monologues etc. It was just a kinda lovely part of the book that made it more mediocre compared to the rest.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm going to put this in spoiler tags:

It turns out the whole freakin' system is rigged against the poor plucky landlords in this mixed-up country, that the world today (1990) has just gone completely off the rails, and sometimes you have to take the law into your own hands.

If you watch it I'll tell you there's a completely out of nowhere batshit dream sequence smack dab in the middle of the movie for you to look forward to.

Huh usually Keaton plays a villain.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fantasy is mainstream now I guess.

The Witcher has been fun at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

He's like a budget Michael Shannon, which is still pretty good!

Christopher Lee imo