Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Best cosmic horror'ish movies (even if not directly cosmic horror, something with the same flavor ala In The Mouth of Madness) for streaming?
Also, any recommendations for psychological horror -- something as close as possible to Polanski's films (especially The Tenant).

Thanks chums!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Forever on Prime is really good. Go in knowing nothing, the first few episodes throw curveballs.

Went in blind as suggested. Through two episodes, it's almost too real, basically my life exactly from a decade ago. Except for the last 10 minutes of episode 2 :stare:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Forever on Prime is good. Given the way the first couple episodes go, it may be a spoiler to describe it as a dramedy version of The Good Place.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

his old SBNation articles, especially Breaking Madden, are works of pure art. The Death of Basketball is probably the greatest sports article ever written.

I read The Death of Basketball every year or so. First time I read it I was crying with laughter. I honestly can't remember ever laughing as hard as that first read of that piece.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Okay, if you're into Black Mirror, I'd like to ask you a long-winded, meandering, and fairly rude question about the show.

I love classic Twilight Zone and am 100% all in on its style of moralizing. Black Mirror's first season, by contrast, felt trite and imprecise to me. I always want to love show like this but I'm also super judgmental of them. Is there a corner that gets turned at some point, or is it more like if I don't like the beginning then maybe the show isn't for me?

There's not really a lot of moralizing aside from "won't this be lovely when this inevitably comes to pass?"

I'd say the show does grow a bit and maybe try S02E02 White Bear or S03E06 Hated in the Nation to give the show one more shot in its higher budget mode to see if it grabs you. But really, the S1 episode 1 Million Credits (or w/e) is pretty representative.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Honestly JJ season 1 wasn't that good. Yes Kilgrave was interesting, but him and his powers were wasted by the writers. Also those 13 episodes were the longest 13 episodes I ever watched in my life. I did for a second think about watching season 2 (maybe they corrected what I didn't like about season 1), but when I saw it was again 13 episodes I was like no thank you.

Huh, couldn't disagree more. JJ S1 might be my favorite Marvel show or movie outside of Legion. It was fantastic to see a feminist take on the formulaic, male dominated, testosterone-fueled comic book genre. The fate of the universe wasn't on the line, just a baddie who was essentially a stand in for the Boogeyman so many women have dealt with. A series that focused on the aftermath of abuse and the struggle to find yourself afterwards was way more than I ever expected from Marvel.

I consider it in the same way as Westworld when it comes to its follow up seasons; for both shows S1 executed its sorry so well and accomplished the full portrayal of what the show was actually about that any subsequent seasons can't help but disappoint.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I've said it before and I'll say it again: What kind of a name is Dabney

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mr. Sloth posted:

Does any other finale come close to touching the high bar set by the Shield?

Breaking Bad? Six Feet Under? The Shield's finale is just so goddamn satisfying and smart.

Twin Peaks; I still think about the finale on at least a weekly basis.

The Wire had an ending that was simultaneously unexpected and yet the perfect (and really, only possible) way to encapsulate the theme of the show.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it so weird that people watch TV as background noise. I can see the reasoning behind it but it's so off-putting to me.

Seems pretty straightforward, they don't want to be alone with only their thoughts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

I watched Time Trap last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. A few things don't hold up under intense scrutiny but the concept was pretty cool and it had fun with it.

Fun concept, terrible acting, needed more visual stuff with the whole reveal / ending but I get it was super low budget.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

mateo360 posted:

Yeah, that sure as hell isn't I-25

Yeah, there's not bumper to bumper traffic on it for one.

I do think it's funny that everyone assumes Denver is some kind of snow fortress. It gets a decent amount of snow but not as much as Madison or Buffalo or probably even Omaha. Plus it melts off almost immediately, compared to Omaha where you get a foot of snow December 1st and then it just builds and builds over the next 3 months.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I don't remember seeing any talk here about Prime original Undone but it's really really good. Not quite sure how to describe it succinctly, maybe cross Dougie's story in Twin Peaks s3 with Donnie Darko with a dash of Safety Not Guaranteed. 8 thirty minute episodes that are all gorgeously rotoscoped and the show is worth watching for the art alone. But the story is also great, as is the performance by the lead actress.

It's been renewed for a second season and I'm not sure how I feel about that, s1 can easily stand on its own. Anyway, you should watch this.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Binged through the two seasons of You on Netflix this week. I thought the first season was decent, but holy poo poo, that second season was so bad.

I've caught a couple episodes because my gf is really into this show and my takeaway was that it would be improved about 1000% if they did away with the narration.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hey, doesn't Community hit Netflix tomorrow? Gonna marathon that wish a big-rear end bowl of popcorn

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone watched the Prime show Tales from the Loop? How is it?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Okay I haven't watched all of Devs, I've still got two episodes to go, but I have to say that it is some real pretentious garbage nonsense and a lot of the music is annoying as poo poo. It is, however, very pretty. Only watch it if you're high.

Hard disagree, but I'm into artsy-fartsy stuff. I loved the way music was used, the sheer volume and mood really worked for me as a stylistic choice. Plus I was introduced to the band Low.

I will say that I found eps 5 and 6 to be pretty slow and I don't think they stuck the landing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Sorry but unfortunately Community has a massive drop in quality in season 5. (At least I think that's the season it happened.)

S4 is the gas leak, non-Harmon season. S5 + 6 have Harmon back but never quite hit the heights of 1-3, although 6 has its moments.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I wonder if Community ever considered just making Fred Willard permanently Pierce instead of killing off the character.

Dan Harmon said in a reddit ama that he (along with John Cleese and 1 or 2 others I don't recall) were his dream casting for Pierce but Chevy was forced on him by NBC. Fred Willard would have been amazing in that role and I think the character / writing would have gone in a very different way.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jeez, I just now remembered that Good Place-alike that had that one multi racial gal from SNL and the super dweeby guy whose name I never remember. Don't remember the name of the show and I remember it being perfectly average, inoffensive, and forgettable.

Did that ever get a second season? I completely forgot this show ever existed until I saw someone comparing a different show to The Good Place.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was totally fine with Mad Men's "The Crash" episode, but i wasnt really down with Bert Cooper's "last dance". He was a Randian Weeabo, kinda okay rarely, him dying was vaguely sad but he wasnt as core as like, Roger. I could see Roger dying and then Don imagining some bizarre dance scene.

Almost done marathoning this before it leaves Netflix in 8 days.

I think in his younger days he did a lot of dancing ala Fred Astaire and so they wanted him to show off his chops during his send-off.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The sexual harassment is kind of the point. It's supposed to make you uncomfortable. And given that it was more prevalent then, it was a pretty realistic experience for many, if not most, women who were starting a career in a traditionally male-dominated field. There's an entire scene with Jack Crawford that basically spells it out.

This is such a weird take. It's like moaning about how much racism is present in Do the Right Thing.

E: sorry Lech. Not calling you out specifically.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 13, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s also Total Recall, which is very loosely based on the short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, and The Man in The High Castle, which got a mostly-good tv adaptation.

So loosely that it's hard to even consider it the same story. The short story does have a killer ending though, caught me by surprise the first time I read it but it's also the only logical way to end the story.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Laterite posted:

Just finished Vast Of Night.

Boy, I dunno. It wasn't bad, very well-shot and good atmosphere. But I'm not sure whether I actually liked it. A lot of the dialogue really grated on me.

The main guy was just too extra all the time. In high school a couple years ahead of me was a super charismatic guy who was always 'on', was the lead in every play, and went on to do some acting in Hollywood. The Vast of Night guy was that guy but turned up 300%. I'm skeptical that any 18 year old in the world is like that. Maybe Robin Williams on coke was similar, except much funnier.

Also the directing wasn't bad per se but I really got a David Lynch-lite feel, like the David Lynch who loves Americana. The director seemed to know the what and how of Lynch's shooting style but not the why.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 19, 2020

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Haven't seen Friday Night Lights tbh, or at least bounced off the first ep. No matter how many people say it's great I can't bring myself to want to watch a show about high school football. Yes I know that is probably blasphemous.

It's about football in the same way that Rocky 1 is about boxing or Field of Dreams is about baseball. S1, at least.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. That was the scene where I was like this is the good poo poo. They perfectly cast Homelander.

I haven't started S2 yet but I recently rewatched s1 with my gf who hadn't seen it. The actor for Homelander is just fantastic. So good at being a loving douche and then as needed instantly turning on the charm and being so believable. He doesn't play the "good guy" role with sarcasm or a hidden sneer, you can see why every normal would buy in to his act. "Remember, *you're* the real heroes", so good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Have any of these Disney remakes been good? I don't see the point of any of them.

I mean, the "point" of them is to make money. They have succeeded hugely. Whether they are good or not is entirely besides the point. Even asking that question shows a complete misunderstanding of Disney's motives.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Alien, but the xenomorph is a tragic anti-hero

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I watched one episode of Ratched and it's the shittiest thing ever. It's as schlocky and corny as True Blood but it thinks it's prestige which makes it intolerable. Netflix.

I also watched one episode of The Night Manager and it seems good so far and I'll keep watching it. It's a spy show based on a Le Carre book (or one of his ilk, don't specifically remember). Prime.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Who does the Queen's Gambit actress remind me of? It's bugging me. Maybe Bjork x Masie Williams? Christina Ricci?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Wait, I think it is Audrey Tautou

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Along with the main actress, the orphanage director reminds me of someone too. Maybe Don Draper's blonde psychiatrist gf?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

I finally watched Deliverance since it’s leaving HBO (Max) at the end of the month and it’s... not great. I appreciate the actors doing all their own stunts but you could never see this movie and not miss anything in the history of cinema. The rape scene also wasn’t as disturbing as I feared.

What.

I mean you're wrong on all counts but even if you were right it's worth seeing for the crazy bridge shot that I still have no idea how it was done. Maybe a very tricky crane move.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What are the best seasons of Curb? Introduced my gf to it via the latest season through HBO on Amazon Prime and now she's obsessed with it. But I haven't watched the last few seasons and it's been years since I watched the earlier seasons. Season 1 was a kind of rougher, ultra low budget incarnation of the show iirc?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, some friends and I watched last night and weren't impressed

My gf, who likes everything, didn't like it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I went against everyone's advise and watched it. I like the premise. It was just kind of dull, even though it felt like the movie thought it was delivering a lot of emotional moments. It just didn't deliver any of them particularly well.

I'm still holding out for a Seveneves movie.

I can't see it as a single movie. I feel like it would have to be a minimum of two 2 hour movies, if you compress it as much as possible.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

david_a posted:

Holy poo poo

Have they seen the first one? Start there if not. Please report back if they thought the T-1000 is the good guy up until the hallway scene; this is important anthropological research.

I can speak to this! My gf was completely ignorant of pre-2000s movies and we watched T1 and T2 last year. I had the same thought as you about how she'd interpret the terminators. To answer your question: she had a suspicion something was up because the cop terminator guy (don't remember the actor's name) acts a little too sketch when cruising around looking for John Connor, and Arnold didn't kill anyone in the biker bar. She is generally pretty good about picking up subtle clues in movies.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's the worst/lamest kind of rapping grandma/epic rap battles of history bullshit only white people could truly tolerate, all in the service of turning a bunch of lovely white slaveowners into more palatable hip young pocs

It's also just lame af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE8oZH1MUq0

I like the part where they rhyme Burr with Sir. All 50 times.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Santa Jaws.

What?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

The Elephant Man is on Prime and it's the first movie I watched since setting up my surround sound system and holy poo poo -- the sound design in this movie is unreal. Great movie in every way but the sound design deserves awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

My biggest problem with The Expanse was the earth president lady. Her accent bothered me, her acting bothered me, her storylines were boring.