Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Boco_T posted:

Netflix: Real Steel

Did something happen with this movie? Why is Netflix emailing me about it and also why is it the #3 most popular thing on Netflix right now? I swear it has been there a while and wasn't just added so I have been very confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inspector Hound posted:

James Spader plays such a great character on Blacklist, but over the course of this first season I can't figure out if it's good or formulaic; there's episodes that seem like forced 24 fan fiction, and then some episodes/arcs that unfold perfectly. Alan Alda was scary as poo poo while I wrote this.

e and seven ~20 episode seasons? It either goes somewhere or absolutely nowhere

James Spader's character is great and it has a couple really stand out episodes and arcs, but the show is trashy as hell and most of the characters are dumb as rocks at the best of times. I wanna say I made it to midway in season 5 before I gave up but kinda want to pick it back up because it is kind of fun. Pretty sure 7 seasons later they (kind of big spoiler I guess?) still haven't revealed whether Red is Elizabeth's actual dad or not? and so by that measure it has gone nowhere!

And RIP Clark Middleton :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Boco_T posted:

Streaming Action November 2020
Prime & Hulu - Expendables 1-3, Universal Soldier, Robocop 1-3, most James Bonds
Prime - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, American Ninja 2, Crying Freeman, Universal Soldier 2-3 TV movies, City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes
Hulu - 3 Ninjas, 12 Rounds

Thank you for posting these monthly updates, I had been wanting to watch this somewhere but wasn't really interested enough to pay to rent it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Finishing WW84 right now and the mid credits scene was probably the best part of the entire thing. Entirely too long with really loving weird tone/pacing issues. I'm happy I got to see a new movie for the first time in almost a year but...yikes.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Alone was my initial quarantine binge and really helped me deal with the early stretches of mental stress. Its honestly a fascinating show psychologicaly and as you said has the added bonus of watching a bunch of preppers get outlasted by some random hippie naturalist.

Theres nothing thatll quite get you feeling ok about being stuck in your nice, heated house with intetnet and endless entertainment like watching someone willingly starve to death in a freezing wet forrest while fending of predators for money.

Season 3 and 6 are definitely the best.

drat I'm gonna have to check this out. Some of the reasons contestants tapped out is hilarious: "was not mentally prepared" (lasted 2 days), lost fire starter on day 10, lonely (on a show called Alone, lasted 28 days)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

5min in to season 1 of Alone and I'm already rooting against the guy who left his kid and pregnant wife to be on this dumb show.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Asnorban posted:

I’m 15 in, and extremely the same. Being a cop and saying he is prepared because he has to deal with wild animals in his job immediately made me want to see him fail.

30min in now and, lmao

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pumped up for school posted:

Also want to thank thread for the Alone recommendation. I'm on S1E7.

lol at this Alan guy from Georgia. At first I was irritated at him for trying to be some kind of low-rent TV personality. Then after a few days I realize he's just the kind of guy who can't shut up. After 3 weeks he's reciting poetry.

Meanwhile there's 2 guys on the island who are constantly moaning, or crying. One guy who gets very little screentime, but he's straight out of gooncamp. Personality to match. But he's hilarious. Everyone else is like "we're gonna die out here" and he's just playing a game, apparently having a blast. At one point he says his day to day diet is either pizza or pizza rolls. The screen trivia compares the # of calories of a pizza roll versus a field mouse. He also left a pregnant wife at home. I hate to say I imagine this is their best financial prospect.

Shame on me for judging people. But those first couple to leave I was so happy.

I finished Alone season 1 last night and thought it was pretty satisfying (though I did totally skip the recap episode). Alan was chill and cool imho. I'm frankly shocked the pizza roll dude guy lasted as long as he did since he built his shelter in the worst possible place/way, and seemed like he gave up bothering to acquire food in any fashion besides his mouse traps. But also yeah gently caress him for leaving his pregnant wife to be on the show and (ending spoilers)taking 57? days to realize maybe he should be there to support her. I'll probably start season 2 in a day or so.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Watching season 2 of Alone and i hope every season has a supposedly pro survivalist guy who immediately loses their ferro rod
Also lmao i was reaching the end of ep 2 feeling exhausted with all of Mary Kate's empty platitudes and lameass white people quirks and she loving cuts her hand open with her axe while babbling

Anyway the best part of the show are the cops/vets who assume they have some kind of edge but are always the first ones to eat poo poo/run away

Thanks, started season 2 because of this post. Do we need a thread for this, cuz I kinda want one. lol at the dude who boasted that if he saw a bear he'd walk out with a bear skin suit then immediately taps out THE FIRST DAY because he saw some bear poop.

4 eps in already, Tracy is a badass.

Edit: lol what no she tapped out as I was writing this post

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Class Warcraft posted:

Dude stopped being gender specific a long time ago. Dude is now the Californian version of comrade.

No, it hasn't, and doubling down after someone specifically pointed out they have been misgendered isn't a great look.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Simone Magus posted:

I'll admit I had fun getting drunk and making fun of The Happening. It's just so ridiculous on every level.

My favorite thing about The Happening was having a party and screening this so that a bunch of friends in my grad school cohort could do exactly what you describe here, except one guy in the group got so incredibly mad that we were making fun of this dumb movie that he literally rage quit the party and dragged his poor wife along with him. He ran out the door in such a huff that he left behind his wallet and had to come back 20min later and retrieve it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

feedmyleg posted:

This guy was being a big baby. But he was also right. I don't care how dumb a movie is, I do not want to be in a room with a bunch of people talking over and making fun of it. Sure, if a friend and I sit down to engage with a flick and it ends up being bad, I'll riff on it with 'em, but I loathe that "let's put on a bad movie and make fun of it" group pile-on setting.

Brian?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pui Pui Molcar is now on Netflix, everyone please go watch it, it's the best.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Synchronic started off super strong, and gave me some serious Fincher levels of creepy gross crime scenes. It felt like it leaned into its heart way too much for its premise, and was worse off for it.

The characters were really terribly written and had absolutely no chemistry together. The movie was a real slog for me and but at least the first 45min had an intentional style going even if I didn't like it. When the protagonist broke out a white board to help convey the "rules" of the McGuffin is when the movie lost me. Would not recommend!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nate fisher posted:

Given that it is a Taylor Sheridan movie, I don’t blame her for picking it. Movie wise everything he has touched has been mostly gold (I haven’t watched Sicario 2), but his TV series Yellowstone is not (I like it in a guilty pleasure way). I was hoping this movie would be him getting back on track, but review wise it doesn’t look like it.

Sicario 2 is very very bad. Also looking up his filmography just now I learned that he wrote the recently released Without Remorse which is also terrible. I've enjoyed a lot of his stuff but he's made more poo poo than hits in the last decade.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The first season was fine, I guess, but they'd obviously slashed the budget for season 2 so it feels like everyone is in the same 1 or 2 locations for the entire season and not a whole lot really happens and what does happen is very boring. Hell, they introduce a character whose mutant power is turning into a loving dragon who they then immediately kill off screen having never shown us the loving dragon because I assume the CGI cost too much.

I was hate watching it through the last season and wouldn't really recommend it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Simone Magus posted:

Wait, an entire new Borat mini series just dropped on Prime????

Looks like it's footage that didn't make the movie and some behind the scenes stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqYwM0eyXnk

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Finally got around to watching The New Mutants and honestly it's not only totally fine but I liked it a lot?? How was this in movie purgatory for 3+ years???????

yes I know some of it was due to the Fox sale and rights issues with mutant characters but I was expecting it to be poo poo and it definitely was not!!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kingtheninja posted:

Is the Highlander series worth watching? I was going to watch a few of the movies again and never saw the show. It's on peacock and I thought it was pretty well liked back in the day.

It has been uh I guess decades now since I last watched it but it was memorable enough for me that I thought about revisiting it recently (but never got around to it). It's campy but I always thought Adrian Paul was great in it and all the flashbacks to different places and eras was always fun. The fight choreography is pretty good for a 90's tv show. The show was solid imho right up until one of the leads left at the end of the 5th season.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

E: also I agree with the above poster that Adrian Paul is really great in the role. He's an actor I really would have liked to see get more work. I read once that he was in the running for Bond but it went to Pierce Brosnan. Paul would have been a great Bond in the latest gen films I think. He's got that same dark charisma that Craig has.

:same:

I always felt so bad that Adrian Paul's career never really took off and after the Highlander show ended he just went on to do a couple lovely Highlander TV movies and a bunch of other dreck. Dude had range and a whole lot of actual martial art skills in addition to being a legit hunk. Maybe he was a jerk irl or something.

drat ok I need to rewatch this show again

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Monster is real good and I will be forever mad that GDT got the rights to it and then it went nowhere

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Finally started rewatching the Highlander TV show and it's way cornier than I remembered, or at least it has been in the first season while they're working up to the larger mytharc eps. Some big names pop in for guest roles: Jason Isaacs, Marion Cotillard in what looks to be her first English-speaking role, also Roger Daltey who I did not know had a career as an actor outside of The Who-related films. They also totally overuse Who Wants To Live Forever, but then who wouldn't.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Medullah posted:

I mean, the song was literally made for the movie so of course they overuse it. :).

Don't Lose Your Head and A Kind Of Magic are right there but instead it's Who Wants To Live Forever 2x an episode!! :argh:

Medullah posted:

Daltrey is one of the best parts of the show, his character is great. Also, while you're watching, take a shot every time a villain name starts with a K or hard C.

also lol I hadn't caught on to this, is there some kind of theory/explanation for it?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Enos Cabell posted:

The last 20 minutes of MI2 is so amazingly ridiculous it makes the rest of the movie retroactively awesome.

e: also can't imagine voting to bail on the most fun of the bunch to watch in a group

1 is great but doesn't really gel with the rest of the series too much, 2 is just terrible and all the doves and helicopter jumps cannot redeem it. Skipping 2 is always preferable because with 3 you start getting to the meat of the series, which is of course Tom Cruise rubbing himself over a various world landmarks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

About 5min ago I contemplated making a post saying that now that I'm into season 2 of
Highlander, the show has improved a lot and it's taking itself more seriously, but the very next episode has the main character sensing the present of another immortal inside a box containing a sarcophagus with a mummy inside. He unwraps the mummy who happens to be alive, immortal, speak English, and claim to be Nefertiti.

:lol:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wonder if Raven is streaming anywhere. The spinoff specifically cast to get an actress out of the US so she couldn't be subpeonad to testify at the Starr investigation.

lmao what

Also as it turns out I misheard, her name was Nefertiri not Nefertiti but the whole ep was still embarrassingly silly including a montage of her being perplexed by things such as cars, electric lamps, and clocks. Catherine Zeta-Jones was almost cast in this role!!

Kinda hope at some point in the show they further explain some more of the mechanics of what being immortal does for you. Like ok they heal pretty quick and come back to life in like 10 seconds or maybe a few minutes depending on what the story requires, so does that mean mummy lady was locked in a box fully awake the whole time? How is she not completely insane? Plus being mummified means you've had a bunch of your organs yanked out your nose, can you regenerate these? If you can then how come the dude Duncan chopped an arm off shows up later with a prosthetic? I watched this show a couple decades back and have apparently forgotten 95% of it so I have no clue if they ever bother to explain any of this.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

^^^^ incredible

Medullah posted:

I'm fine with the plotb holes. Let's not forget when they tried to explain the origins of immortals we found out they were from another planet in the future.

i demand tactical realism for my fantasy tv show about immortals fighting with swords !!

Medullah posted:

The lead singer of Fine Young Cannibals hired mercenaries to do his dirty work for a few episodes!

Weirdly high number of musicians playing the Bad Immortal of the Week on this show. Joan Jett, Sheena Easton, Roger Daltrey, Roland Gift, and that's all I've seen so far in my rewatch.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Early into season 3 of Highlander, and while I just kind of accepted the video quality being complete poo poo as "well, it's an old show", I only just now realized that every episode has cropped. Didn't realize it until some text on screen was cut off halfway at the bottom. Did a bit of searching and the original aspect ratio of the show is 1.33:1 and they've blown it up and cut off the top and bottom to fit 16:9. Apparently every streaming service has this hot trash version of the show available, only way to watch it untouched is to buy the DVDs which are out of print, and a bluray version has been "coming soon" since 2009. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Y'all got me to rent Jack Reacher because I remembered it as a dumb fun action flick with a Mission Impossible vibe thanks to the involvement of Christopher McQuarrie. I don't remember much besides Tom Cruise beating up some dudes outside a bar and Werner Herzog getting straight up murdered at the end.

Edit: ok it was definitely more of a self insertion fantasy film then I remembered but also sounds like Reacher didn't punch enough dudes to death compared to the books

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 30, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Glottis posted:

anyone else find Peacock to have an obnoxiously long delay between 240p finally clearing up to HD?

Yep, it's not just you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Medullah posted:

Also, while you're watching, take a shot every time a villain name starts with a K or hard C.

Just absolutely losing my mind while watching season 4 of Highlander. What the gently caress were the writers smoking?? Currently on season 4 and here are the names of all the guest characters so far:

ep 1: Kanwulf
ep 2: Cord
ep 3: King
ep 4: Kanis
ep 5: Kit
ep 6: Kincaid
ep 7: Colonial Killian (double word score!!!)
ep 8: Kinman
ep 9: Kamir (also the entire episode about a statue of Kali)
ep 10: Kristin

Starting episode 11 now, they already have a girl named Claudia, guessing the bad immortal is going to be a Kelly, Clark, maybe Kevin???

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well it ended up being Walter, lol. Now on episode 12, and we've got a Karen.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Episode 13: Kant and Kol T'ek

:wtc:

Edit: midway through and we have introduced a character named Korland

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 2, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Baba Oh Really posted:

I got curious on what John Landis has been doing recently since he seems to still be working in the movie industry and oof ...

I thought you found/had made a photoshop, holy poo poo lmao

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Netflix wanted me to watch Sweet Girl, so I did.

lol, lmao

I can't even discuss what I think about this without revealing the big twist so don't read this if you're going to watch it. The movie wants you to think Jason Momoa has gone John Wick on some pharma bros and is hyper capable because he...kickboxes? Ok that's a bit of a stretch but we'll go with it. Wait, he's been dead the whole time and it's actually the 15? 16? year old daughter who, because she also had a kickboxing montage for two minutes, is an expert at knife fighting, evasion techniques, explosives, cars, and can take on pro hitmen no problem despite being 5' tall and weigh 100lbs soaking wet? I laughed out loud at my TV. Maybe cast a different actress or spend 5 more minutes somehow giving her more backstory to where all this would be even slightly believable! The drug company government conspiracy plot was also really ham fisted and Generic Action Thriller Plot which I dunno that was fine I guess. If not for Momoa I wouldn't have bothered to watch this at all. 1.5/5

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

metachronos posted:

Yeah the twist is ridiculous. Also the hitman character pulling off some sweet no scope 360 headshots. He somehow killed Jason Momoa who was like 3x his size but got his rear end kicked by an 18 year old girl?. Yeah okay

The subway fight scene was really confusing because it felt like they purposefully kept the bad guy's face obscured/didn't give you a good look at him for 90% of the fight and then he comes back to be the big bad in the movie anyway. :shrug: When I went to bed last night I was thinking about this movie some more and I think really the dumbest part is the diner scene where the hitman is talking to Ray(chel) and says he's there to eliminate everyone that knows his boss' plan, except the movie doesn't reveal who his boss is until later in that conversation and Ray/Rachel didn't know who it was either at that point, making his/the senator's involvement in the entire plot completely pointless? Yeah it was bad.

Also the big crowd scene in the stadium with everyone unmasked made my eye twitch a little, I thought maybe they just filmed this before COVID times and it was sitting somewhere for a bit but nope.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tangentially related to spy chat, in the last week or so I felt the desire to re-watch the Jack Ryan series on Prime, and while doing so got to reading the Wikipedia article for Jack Ryan the character and it is absolutely loving bonkers. I also learned there was another Jack Ryan movie that I had never heard of, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit! I ended up (re)watching every movie in the Ryanverse last week, and here are my rankings:

1. Hunt for Red October
2. Clear and Present Danger
3. Jack Ryan series on Prime
4. The Sum Of All Fears
5. Patriot Games
6. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Bonus! There are two other movies relating to Tom Clancy books that also technically take place in the Ryanverse:
7. Without Remorse
8. Netforce

Yes, I even watched Netforce which is on Youtube in its entirely in absolutely terrible video quality which, honestly, kind of lent to the charm? I almost rated it higher than Without Remorse (which I found to be a completely joyless slog) due entirely to how entertaining it was to watch a movie set in 2005 but made in 1999 talk about the internet:

quote:

In 2005, Alex Michaels is deputy head of a new division of the FBI called "Netforce" which investigates computer crime and polices the Internet. When his boss and mentor, Steve Day, is assassinated, the evidence points to Web pioneer and owner of the company Januscorp, Will Stiles, a character said to be Bill Gates' apprentice. Stiles is about to release a new web browser that may allow him to hack into any computer in the world and to gain control of the Internet.

This movie is 2.5 hours long, lol.

Anyway, Hunt for Red October is clearly the GOAT, I wish I had just watched that a second time in a week instead of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. I really appreciate in The Sum Of All Fears that they nuke the poo poo out of Baltimore but do it almost entirely off screen, they could have really Michael Bay'd that whole scene up but they keep is really restrained. I actually fell asleep during Patriot Games and had to re-watch the last 30min of it again the next day, it's kind of boring. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit is the Jack Ryan origin story that absolutely no one needed.

Alec Baldwin is the best Jack Ryan and Chris Pine is the worst. I find the Prime series to be really well made, lot of great location shooting, but John Krasinski is really just a terrible actor. The guy has maybe two facial expressions and cannot emote at all. At one point in the first season when he tells his boss that he knows what he's doing, his boss says "tell your face that" which almost makes me wonder if Wendell Pierce was adlibbing a bit...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SlipkPIe posted:

Binging is best when you prefer a show to go in and then immediately back out of your brain, never once forging new memories

Same

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not at all for me. Waiting makes me forget what happened last week and has me less likely to care.

Unfortunately, also same.

I only seem to remember the really really good, and the really really bad. Mediocre media just completely disappears from my synapses.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

STAC Goat posted:

The only thing that really drives me insane is that thing where 15-30 seconds after what you're watching ends it starts up something new. And not even like "next episode", just a whole new thing. And that annoys me because I actually really like just kind of decompressing in the end credits and letting them play as I get up and move around and collect my thoughts. Even if there's no extra content or whatever. I just don't wanna jump right into something else.

Of course I get it that the point is to prevent me from getting up and wandering off. But it annoys me.

Turn off this setting:

afaik that will stop it jumping to a new show too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

tweet my meat posted:

I gotta stop buying into negative hype, Cowboy Bebop is a ton of fun.

I finished it last night and thought it was great, really hope they make a second season. Vicious really grew on me by the end of the season, I thought he was kinda silly at first but by the end the casting choice was perfect.

Absolutely do not read the TVIV thread for Cowboy Bebop. It is full of vitriol, misogyny, and even some antisemitism.