Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

2 episodes in and it's pretty watchable if you can still stomach zombies. It's laughably self serious though. Makes TWD almost seem self aware by comparison.

Which is pretty funny for a Z Nation prequel series.

The show is alright. I thought the constant use of title cards was pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The animation is incredible. Here's a quick thing from Twitter

https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/1080338672715673600?s=19

I was trying find another analysis i saw of this scene and how Pete n Miles are out of sync until they work together in the forest and then their frames lineup but i can't find it so grain of salt on it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Are they at least future axes like in Prometheus?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Smh then why even bother

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

King of New York is on prime and anyone who doesn’t watch it, whether they’ve seen it before or not, is very much depriving themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4bprq-BYi0

This is a great flick

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That Works posted:

A good part of S4 of The Expanse was they took out one of the more annoying plot lines of the book. The 4th book was the weakest of the series so far and S4 isn't as good as S3 (still quite good imo) but it's a nice upgrade from the plotlines of the book which is pretty cool. I'm glad they gave them the creative control to make those changes.

What was that plotline?

I found the Bobbie plot to be pretty bleh this season. Still enjoyed the season overall though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That Works posted:

The Elvi character being super in love with Holden.

e: it was a big fangirl / crush thing that they kept alluding to in her private monologues etc. It was just a kinda lovely part of the book that made it more mediocre compared to the rest.

Oh.. glad they dumped that sounds bad

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Chopping Mall is on my queue and I've watched The Final Countdown, which was solid.

Thanks for the recs everyone. Yeah...Prime is a treasure trove of b-movies.

I suggest getting tubi (its free) and watching Night of the Comet as well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
whats that on?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nic Cage is one of the best actors working

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You'd think he'd be taller though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I definitely prefer Escape from New York, but Escape from LA is really fun and is more of a Gremlins 2 style sequel which I appreciate a ton.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jolo posted:

His Dawn of the Dead Remake was fun. That's about where I run out of nice stuff to say about him. (I think James Gunn probably had a lot to do with how fun DotD is)

James Gunn wasn't around by the time they got to filming iirc. You can read his script and see changes between the finished film as well. Though you might still credit him with the better parts of DotD.

yoohoo posted:

So he recut it in an ancient ratio to preserve his vision of having it in IMAX, despite the movies publicist acknowledging they currently don't have any plans of doing an IMAX release?

He originally filmed it in 4:3. Releasing it in that ratio preserves the full picture, if it had been formatted in 16:9 it would have cut off parts of the top and bottom of the picture. To be honest the pillarboxed approach worked for me, gave a lot of the shots more of a comic panel feel.

If it had a theatrical run I think it'd probably would have been I a wide-screen ratio for theater screens and in imax would have been closer to this released ratio.

Tagichatn posted:

I had forgotten how much Zack Snyder loves moody, desaturated slo mo speed up and inappropriately dramatic music but Justice League reminds you real quick.

This is very true lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hbo I think

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If y'all haven't seen The Twentieth Century, you really should. Caught it on the Criterion Channel. Juvenile, funny, grotesque, incredibly loving Canadian, and just chock full of style. Shades of Terry Gilliam, German expressionism, with a little dash of John Waters.
It's really silly to be sure, not all of it "works", and it's almost entirely carried by its style, but I loved it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3z-7HsSXKY

It's wild and a great watch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Randomly throwing in aliens, robots, and timeloops without any further elaboration or explanation is Army of the Dead's sole point of charm, so covering that poo poo in prequels/sequels would be a bummer.

Netflix has an animated series about the fall of Vegas and a spinoff movie for Dieter, with the actor directing it on the way

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Hmm maybe ill actually blaze up and watch it then, i was pondering doing that ln but then i saw a bunch of people panning it on letterbox.

I'm watching it now and it's 2 hours long, and it's very slow to start so far

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

You end up finishing it? Thoughts?

It was alright once it finally got going. The plot does some neat things but I didn't think the action was anything special. I liked the ending and thought the kid actor was really good.

Overall neat concept but didn't live up to what I hoped it would it be.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah in the horror thread it was one of the most anticipated releases for a bit.

I liked it a whole lot

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I started ap bio after seeing goons praise it in a few threads and I'm really enjoying it. Finished season 1 last night.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

I don't know where best to put this, but my friend made an actual movie, that was released to cinemas in last year. It's free to watch online for the next 24 hours, and I'd very much love you to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ356coOJZQ

It's the last film made in Hong Kong. Movies like this cannot exist under the new draconian security law. I honestly don't know if they'll even be able to release this for the home market there now. Trailer doesn't do it justice, it's very sweet, beautiful, love letter to the city. For 24 hours, they're asking only for your time, not your money.

https://vimeo.com/612371658

Go to that link, and put in this password jogwyao24a

Sharing this here since it's on streaming

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Superrodan posted:

I don't know if they're gonna make a third. They changed the movie so much when they released it to theaters. I don't even know which ending they'd continue with. You should really go read a plot summary of the movie on wikipedia, I think you'll be surprised at what you see.

I only watched the extended cut, had no idea so much was different between the two versions

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I liked it a lot

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I shouldn't have read the spoiler. :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

void_serfer posted:

Speaking of adaptations, I love that the guy playing Geralt has probably spent more hours playing the Witcher 3 than I have. I only just started watching season 2 but drat it feels good to see Henry Cavill doing his thing.

He did a video of himself building a pc and it's funny how nerdy he is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

I don't understand how Don't Look Up's premise is supposed to carry 2 hours and 25 minutes.

Lol I've been running on the assumption it was like 90 minutes tops.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I bought Waterworld when it came out on UHD just because hey it's a big budget 90's action flick but it was actually a lot better than I remembered. There's some pretty cool sci-fi/dystopian moments that I didn't remember at all, like when Costner dives down to the ruins of a major city that had been overtaken by the water.

Wait Waterworld got a UHD??? I must own this. I have a lot of nostalgia for it and Postman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Matrix seems pretty divided between people who loved it and people who didnt.