Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

If you have a library card you should check if Kanopy is available for you. Free streaming, but I think you're limited to five things a month. I just signed up for it the other day, so I haven't looked over the selection that much but it looks like they have a fair amount of French New Wave and Janus stuff, including Cleo From 5 to 7, which I've been meaning to watch for forever.

I signed up using my library card that expired a year ago, so I guess as long as you have a number and your library offers it you should be good.

Same, but Hoopla Digital (which also has comics and music).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1108059632008757248

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fart City posted:

I know it's not getting the attention other shorts are, but that one has stuck with me, just because of how emaciated dude looks when he "wakes" up. Like, he's been there for god knows how long. That one actually felt the most true-blue old school pulp sci-fi to me out of the bunch.

I interpreted it as it took him a very long time to get there.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fallom posted:

wot a tweeeeest!

Peter F. Hamilton is not a great writer.

Sonnie’s Edge is also the best thing he ever wrote.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Siri doesn’t recognize it?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Is transgressive what we're calling edgelord now?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Boys is good precisely because it is unfaithful to the original, because Garth Ennis is awful.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I watched the series last year some time and I actually thought it was pretty good about it. Do you have an example?

Chandler worries constantly that people think he’s gay.

Friends is a weird half-step that was progressive for it’s time yet problematic now.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

There’s going to be like 6 streaming services — one for each of the media conglomerates and Netflix, which isn’t a conglomerate but will survive because it launched first and built a subscriber base.

None of them will license any of their IP to the others.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Office is owned by Comcast, it will only be available on Peacock.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cats are intrinsically morally blameless. Humans deserve The Bad Place.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, it gets even better. I'm not sure season 4—the first one after the switch to Amazon—is quite as exciting as season 3 just because of how much of the building plot comes to a head that season, but it's still very good and worth watching.

The books are a trilogy of trilogies, book 3 and therefore season 3 are the conclusion to the first trilogy so all sorts of stuff happens; book 4 is the start of the second trilogy so it is mostly setting the groundwork and also it is widely regarded as the worst book in the series. I don't know if that's true because book 4 was so terrible I never finished it and can't comment on the quality of books 5 through 8.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Childrens Hospital has a running joke that the hospital is in Brazil despite very obviously being shot in Los Angeles, Medical Police actually filmed on location in Brazil.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phetz posted:

I haven’t watched Children’s Hospital and wasn’t aware of the connection until I saw Rob Corddry in the makeup, and I had an awesome time. Thinking I should go back and watch CH now.

Childrens, not Children's. It's named after the Childrens family.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thom and the Heads posted:

you can change the audio track on Netflix

Netflix actually changed the default from the dub to the subs for Dark because the dub isn’t great.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tainen posted:

Before I start Counterpart, I know it was cancelled and only got two seasons but does the story actually finish or does it leave it open like they were expecting a third season?

It finishes with enough of an opening for a third season.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Quibi sure picked an unlucky time to launch, what with people at home, in front of TVs.

I don't know, being able to blame the pandemic for the failure of this obviously stupid idea instead of your own personal incompetence seems pretty lucky to me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bon Appétit actually has their own app with all of their videos, it isn't surprising that they put them on Hulu too.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

But what if there wasn't a scripted Tiger King series?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

L O, and I can’t emphasize this enough, L.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

YouTube gave all of Impulse away for free — it’s a great show, loosely uses the ideas from the books but goes in a different direction. Pity nobody watched it and they’re not making any more seasons.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

10 Beers posted:

Aw man, Netflix canceled "I Am Not Okay With This." :(

https://www.slashfilm.com/i-am-not-okay-with-this-canceled/

If it was faithful to the comic you probably would've despised the ending.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I completely forgot season 2 got released — was it any good?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I went to watch an episode of the recent Battlestar Galactica and it's not steaming anywhere! I feel like it's been available for years, moving from service to service. Which horrible new streaming service is about to be launched with BSG as one of its centerpieces?

That's usually what something middle-profile disappearing from all services means, that a new service is about to be launched.

https://www.peacocktv.com/watch-online/tv/battlestar-galactica/8522076936060621112

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Everything that isn’t Netflix, Hulu or Amazon is one of the obscure ones.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

me, after watching the Raised by Wolves trailer: Wow, they sure spoiled a lot of the awesome stuff that's going to happen in this season.

me, after watching Raised by Wolves episode one: Well, I have now seen everything that happened in the trailer and there are still seven episodes left.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You know how Girls is a lovely millennial comedy because Lena Dunham is a lovely millennial with absolutely no self awareness whatsoever?

Search Party is a lovely millennial comedy that knows exactly what it is doing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Every episode of The Boys had some scenes randomly subtitled in German until I brought up the subtitle menu.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Watching S1 of Mr. Mercedes on Peacock. The ad breaks are often momentum-halting. Like, a scene will just end at the end of someone's sentence, fade to black, sometimes play an ad, then the next scene will start. I don't feel like I'm losing any information, it's just every third or fourth scene feels like they're a feature-length movie edited down for TV commercials in the 90's. Is this how the actual show was to be seen, or is this an Internet edit version of the show?

Wikipedia says it was originally on a commercial-free pay TV channel.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

LOL just LOL if you watched Solarbabies on premium cable, the correct way to watch this movie was on broadcast TV as the weekday afternoon movie.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

RIP Travelers you were a little bit stupid but somebody involved had an extremely good understanding of how time travel would work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hubbardologist posted:

I liked Shadow and Bone, though overall felt the plot and pacing was a bit choppy, as if killing time to set up for the next season rather than meaningfully push any of the plots forward. But it had some pretty good performances and an interesting setting. Definitely worth checking out.

It really feels like they skipped over a lot of the intermediate portions of the book to get to the parts that truly mattered. As you watched the individual scenes the pacing was perfectly fine but when you moved on to the next scene suddenly you were asking yourself how did we get here from there? and a lot of blanks were left for you to fill in with your imagination.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I’m disappointed by the lack of Reacher failing to understand technology in that trailer, in addition to his hands being too small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean I'm not sure how a scene like that is supposed to look

It is supposed to look like an abhuman AI is operating a human body like a meat puppet deep in the uncanny valley.