Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

veni veni veni posted:

Found some rare cut footage from The Dirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6uYfOBx4E

Keeshtah mahha is such a good song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

There's a new "documentary" on Netflix called Jack of All Trades. It claims to be about collectible baseball cards and how the market fell out and they're basically worthless now. It's actually about the childhood of the guy narrating the story and his relationship with his father.

I don't think it's very good. It kinda feels like a couple of guys just started filming themselves with the hopes that they could put together enough footage to call it a movie. About 30 minutes in they've already realized that the cards are no longer valuable and then there's literally several sections where they discuss how there's no content to make a movie now that they can't tell the story of owning and selling a bunch of valuable rare baseball cards. Then the guy's friend is like "hey you haven't seen your dad in 20+ years. He's in town let's reunite you two for the movie" and they do and his dad is just like "yep, I bailed and started a new family, lots of people do it"

It was a story with pretty much no one of interest in the entire thing. The dude was an entitled dope who thought he was going to be rich off of a bunch of old cards and that that would be an entertaining movie, his friend was an rear end in a top hat who openly talked about how bad the movie was going to be during the movie but still filmed it and produced it (I think), and his dad who was another rear end in a top hat who barely even apologized after abandoning his family for decades and tried to blame being in a family of Holocaust survivors as the reasoning. Also I'm an rear end in a top hat for watching it all instead of bailing 20 minutes in.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Almost without fail if a movie comes up now and I check on justwatch it either isn't available to stream or is on a service I don't sub to. It's a first world rear end problem but man the fracturing to so many different streaming services is crummy and it's just gonna get worse as time goes on.

Latest search was for The Matrix movies and if you're subscribed to fuboTV then you're in luck. What's fuboTV? I dunno but the most popular plan is $54.99 so there's that.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

We bury our jizz here, Dave. We jerk them clean.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm currently watching Killer Ratings. It's a Brazilian documentary about a host of a true crime hunters series (imagine if the dude from Nightcrawler had his own TV show) where they'd document murders around the city. It turns out that the host was paying people to commit the murders.

Is this an actual documentary or a show about a fictional documentary? If it's the former, then HOLY poo poo. That's extremely hosed up.

edit: I just looked it up and it's the former. Good lord, people are loving nuts.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Watched The Apple on Amazon Prime again this weekend with a group of people and it is a magical experience. It was part of a bad movie night but I absolutely don't agree with calling The Apple a bad movie, the story is pretty dumb but the musical numbers, the choreography, and the set and costume designs are out of control. As for the movie itself, well, it's a musical from 1980 about the dark future of 1994 where an evil corporation named BIM controls the music industry and kind of everything else. A couple of up and coming musicians get brought into the BIM Empire (Bimpire? wait... vampire?) and from there the movie just goes. There's hardly ever more than 5 minutes without another musical number. I highly recommend it, especially with a group of friends.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I don't think it's streaming on the big three, but the perfect example of that is always From Dusk Till Dawn.

Sunshine also has an abrupt tonal shift.

Heck yes, my wife didn't know anything about this From Dusk Til Dawn and her reaction once things shifted was pretty excellent.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

The end of the final episode of IASIF season 13 was bizarrely beautiful

I didn't like Seasons 11 or 12 of "In Autumn Sunsets, I Fart" but Season 13 was bizarrely beautiful.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

This is loving perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

FWIW I think this is kind of overshadowed but it sounds like even if you have Hulu w/ no ads you can get a $6 monthly credit towards Disney+

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/12/20962050/disney-plus-hulu-bundle-how-to-sign-up

I signed up on that D23 3 year deal so I'm just sort of set for a while, but might be worth looking into.

Ah bummer, there's no bundle that is just Disney+ and Hulu without Ads. The $5.99 credit is off of the $12.99 Disney/Hulu/Espn+ bundle.

So it adds up:
Hulu Ad Free - 11.99
Disney/Espn/Hulu - 12.99
5.99 credit - (5.99)
Total of 18.99 per month.

I was hoping to add Disney for some kind of discount but it's either pay full price for each separately or do this bundle and get ESPN+ for the same price.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I haven't seen The Irishman yet, but it definitely doesn't sound boring.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1193661467129630720

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

I thought this musical number was really out of place in The Irishman

https://youtu.be/8d3IM8lIASI

Hahahahaha this song samples from Blondie's song Rapture. Blondie raps in Rapture and it's not great there either.

edit: It's the bitches that'll get yas

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Ok I just finished "Don't gently caress With Cats" and there's one piece of information that seems really important that the documentary shows and then completely ignores.

The final episode brings up the idea that Luka has been forced into killing by a mysterious person named Manny. One piece of evidence supporting this is another person's hands petting a cat in one of the killing videos. The group of internet detectives even talks about analyzing each video frame by frame but never mentions another person being present in any of the videos. The doc ends with the police saying nothing shows that anyone else was involved in the killings. Uh, someone else was present for one though, right? I guess it's very possible that the owner of the big snake was there for that video. Maybe he just knew a creep who was fine feeding his snake a kitten.

Anyone follow this case and know anything about it? If they're analyzing a wolf blanket and a wall poster there's no way they didn't obsess over this, right?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Also Jesus Christ, that framed picture of him and his mom that is also her desktop background. That thing is nightmarish.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

To the internet nerds' credit, they didn't target anyone who had nothing to do with it like Reddit did during the Boston Marathon Bombing.

Shame that those though animal guys did though.

Yes, I absolutely thought that there was going to be a reveal that they singled out the wrong person. There's a point where a new video comes out and one of the internet detectives goes "so we were watching it closely to see how we could tie it to Luka" and I was just thinking that they had made up their minds and would ignore anything that didn't point at him.

That's why I thought it was so strange that the doc cut out or ignored that another person is involved in one of the videos.

My big complaint is that the doc gives Luka the notoriety that he clearly wants and tries to paint him as this master strategist but then chastises people for viewing their documentary and others like it as entertainment. Honestly, there are things they use as evidence of his master scheming that seem like complete coincidence to me. Casablanca poster to telegraph his escape to Paris seems like a huuuuge stretch.

The dude is a Canadian dweeb named Eric Newman who can't spell the word 'probably', he's not The Riddler. The doc really inflates his importance in a silly way.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Saulnier's earlier movie Murder Party is also on Netflix for streaming. It's a comedy with horror elements so pretty different tonally from Green Room and Blue Ruin but I still really enjoyed it and recommend it. The basic idea is that a lonely guy finds an invitation on the street for a "Murder Party" on Halloween. So he makes a costume and heads over to find that all of the pretentious art students who set up the party have decided that they're going to murder him, but not just any murder... an Avant Garde Murder that will have people talking.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I love both of those other movies too. One thing that I appreciated a lot when I ended up watching Green Room with subtitles on is that there's a whole lot of story and explanation going on through incidental dialogue that is easy to miss the first time through. It's not essential to enjoy the movie, but on a rewatch it's impressive how much more of the story is there than it seems at first. I think I turned subtitles on because there's a fair amount of people saying something quietly to someone else and I couldn't hear it. If you like the movie, it's worth a rewatch that way.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

beanieson posted:

Can you expand on this? Enjoyed the movie but I rarely rewatch stuff these days.

Green Room discussion below:

My memory of it is vague. I skimmed the script this morning... You find out more about the girl, Emily, that is killed at the start of the movie. She and Daniel, who worked at the venue, were going to run off to be together that night. The guy who killed the girl was another neo nazi who didn't want her running off with someone else. At the start of the movie the guy, Tad, who is interviewing them sets up the gig because his cousin, Daniel, works at the venue. He mentions that he has to clean up his place because Daniel and his girl are coming to crash there. This feels like a throwaway line, but it sets up the side story of Daniel and Emily running off together. When the band arrives at the venue and meet Daniel, one of the band members mentions staying over at Tad's the previous night and says something about hearing that Daniel and his girl are staying there. Daniel grabs him by the throat and tells him to never bring that up to anyone. While the band is playing, you can see Daniel, Emily, and her friend in the crowd and Daniel hands Emily a folded up napkin. Later on you see that the napkin has a song title written on it, presumably it was a hint to Emily that once that song started playing they would meet outside in Daniel's car and take off. When you see Daniel's car later in the movie, it's packed up with both of their things. Throughout the movie, the people trying to handle the situation are hesitant to put Daniel too close to the band stuck in the green room because they don't want him finding out that the band had nothing to do with the murder. Once Daniel realizes they are in a somewhat similar situation and aren't responsible for Emily's death, he helps them to escape.

Some of that is more obvious than others. It's pretty easy to gloss over most of it on a first watch because the main focus of the movie is on experiencing the isolation and dread of the band in the green room. I thought it was a nice subversion in the movie to show that the venue planned to pay the band and send them on their way even though they went on stage and played "Nazi Punks gently caress Off". Seeing the body after the murder ends up setting off the whole chain of events and several minor characters in the movie flesh out the reasoning behind the murder even if it's not necessary to understand why the girl was murdered to still appreciate the movie. It's a well written movie. I should rewatch Blue Ruin because I haven't seen it in several years and I bet it has a lot of additional details that I don't remember also.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

beanieson posted:

Man that’s way more detail than I expected you to go into, thanks! Now I do want to rewatch it lol

I mainly remembered how awesome it was to see Patrick Stewart be a menacing calculated villain.

Ha, yeah I was sitting there thinking about it and I wanted to make sure I got it right instead of just going off of what I remembered, which wasn't much. You can kinda ignore that whole aspect of the story and still appreciate the movie, but it's really cool that it's there in the background and pretty fleshed out.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Hulu has Frisky Dingo, an Adult Swim Cartoon about a narcissistic Billionaire Superhero and a condescending Alien Supervillain. It's funny from start to finish and one of my favorite shows ever. The whole thing (two seasons) only takes a few hours to l watch and the series is so dense with callbacks that every rewatch uncovers something new.

The first couple of episodes are kinda slow, but by about episode 3 or so you'll either love or hate the tone of it. Also 11 minute episodes so not long to know if it's your thing or not. It also has Killer Mike from Run the Jewels in it. It's written by Adam Reed who does Archer but I vastly prefer Frisky Dingo. It's such a fun ride.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Queen of Versailles is about a kooky lady building a ridiculously extravagant home just as the 2008 financial crash happens.

It's on Hoopla which may be available free through your local library. Possibly elsewhere, Justwatch lists Youtube w/ Ads but I only see it for Purchase or Rental there.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

precision posted:

I know this isn't normally the thread for recommending new shows that aren't on Netflix or Prime, but I feel really strongly about how amazing Dispatches From Elsewhere is. Someone said it's like a better, sadder Maniac and that's on point. It's also very loosely based on real events (read up on them, it's wild stuff).

Maniac is a really interesting show that I always watch an episode of and then forget about for months at a time.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Haven't watched Dredd in a while so I looked up where it was available to stream. It's available on a streaming service called Pluto.TV which has a bunch of movies on demand and also live tv channels which run with ads. Ads suck but maybe I'll get lucky like watching You're Next on TubiTv where they just put a single commercial before the movie. So I go to Plutotv and quickly realize that there's no search option at all. I page through a bunch of Action listings and then a bunch of SciFi listings but don't see it. I sign up for an account with a throwaway email thinking maybe they've locked things like the search feature behind providing an email address. Nope. No search at all. I go back to Justwatch.com and look it up there and click the link for plutotv there. I'm finally I'm able to pull up the movie which is listed as: Dredd (LAS): https://pluto.tv/on-demand/movies/dredd-(las)-1-1

It's dubbed in Spanish. So hey, if you want to watch Dredd in Spanish, Plutotv has got you covered.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I bought Dredd on Blu Ray for like $4 and recently watched it on my PSVR in 3D set to the imax sized screen and it was glorious. It was like seeing it in theaters all over again. Best use of 3D i've ever seen in a movie. 4 bux well spent.

You know, I haven't done this with the psvr and a 3d movie yet. I should just buy it. It was oddly unavailable on Blu-ray on Amazon near Christmas last year.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The original Taking of Pelham 123 is extremely good. It was on Prime but looks like it's only available on hoopla right now which you may have access to through your library.

Hijackers take over a subway train in New York City and have a tense standoff with the police. Robert Shaw, Walter Matthau, and a younger Jerry Stiller. Great brassy musical score. It's excellent..

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

All-time classic. Anyone with Hoopla access who hasn't seen it should watch it.

Yep! I watched it for the first time last year and was so impressed with it. Some older movies can feel kind of slow because modern movies can be so fast paced. Pelham is engrossing from start to finish. Awesome movie. I saw Assault on Precinct 13 for the first time last year also and had similar feeling about it and so when one comes up I always think of both.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Lenny Cooke is a doc by the Safdie Brothers (Good Time, Uncut Gems) that follows Lenny in high school as he navigates life and his promising basketball career. It's on Hoopla. One thing that I really appreciate about it is that they really let the events speak for themselves and let the audience come to their own conclusions. You get to see Lenny play with teenage Lebron, Carmelo, and others.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It's almost always the case now that I think of something I wanna watch and then find it's not currently on anything. Then like a month later I'm browsing Netflix or Amazon and there it is.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Same, but add a step where I just break down and rent it on Amazon in the middle.

I find it online and watch a 240p stream with terrible audio and subtitles I can't read.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

Ace Ventura is on Netflix

After you watch that, be sure to check out the sequel. No not that one. This one:

https://tubitv.com/movies/522088/ace_ventura_pet_detective_jr

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

There's a new docuseries on Netflix called "Trial by Media" about court trials that were heavily covered and/or influenced by news coverage.

The episode about a Jenny Jones guest turned murderer has two of the most absurd lawyers that I've seen. A man went on Jenny Jones to find out who his secret crush was and oh lordy it was another man. The man then went and bought a shotgun and visited his secret crush soon after. The defense attorney argues at one point that when the shotgun man came to the door the victim wasn't shielding himself with a small table but was actually brandishing it like a weapon. He actually says that the shotgun man was defending himself by gunning him down. There's another attorney in the second half of the episode that is so lovely that he really has to be seen to be believed. He phrases all of his questions in such a misleading manner and comes across like the slimiest motherfucker.

The episode about Rod Blagojevich is pretty great just to hear how openly he talks about his attempted crimes. There's no misconstruing what he's trying to do. There's a bit near the end of the episode that I found hilarious. I'll spoil it in case you're unfamiliar with the case. Rod is in prison and his wife hopes that the President will free him early. What's the best way to get your story in front of the President? That's right. Go on Fox News. She goes on Fox News several times. Trump sees it and then sets him free early. The whole sequence is so implausible. Rod goes on Celebrity Apprentice to improve his public image years back and then later on the host of that show has the power to free him and does. It's nutty.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe this will help clear things up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjYDBLnHE1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDsLRQg_g4

edit: HA! Both logos come in at almost the exact same time.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 2, 2020

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5ed6aa9e9d330-this-is-an-hbo-and-dvno-mashup.php

This plays audio tracks from both at the same time regardless of settings so mute on one is recommended.

Ma is on HBO Max and based on the trailer I figured it would be some hosed up fun with Octavia Spencer getting to really chew the scenery. Unfortunately it's one of the most derivative horror movies that I can remember. You get EXACTLY what you expect and nothing more. Every single story beat plays out the way you think it will. It sucks so much.

I highly recommend the "King Richard" episode of Trial by Media on Netflix. It's about a healthcare CEO that tries to scam and grift the IRS, a jury, religious folks, and the entire state of Alabama. His audacity is astounding. To top it all off he hires two lawyers that seem to have been mentored by the Simple Country Half a Chicken Lawyer from Futurama. The whole story is a freaking trip. I was shouting at my screen throughout. "There's no way these people are this stupid, right?" "He did what?" "This lawyer can't help but take the piss can he?"

It's enthralling from start to finish. I'd tell you to just watch the bit about his defense's dual closing arguments but there are so many absurd moments from beginning to end that if anything I've written has peaked your interested then you should absolutely watch the entire thing.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

It also has the Arnold and Vanessa Williams 90s action hit Eraser. It's a fun time. Hadn't watched it since I was a kid and it's better than I remembered.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

How do those alligators hold up because I remember them not being so great even back in the day.

They're CG in the wide shots and puppets(models, whatever) up close and looked pretty alright to me. Didn't stand out like the CG in Mortal Kombat or anything.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Scrolling through the list on HBO Max and there's a lot of unexpected stuff on here. Just gonna list a few as I cruise through here...

American Animals - Real life story about the planning and execution of an art heist from a University library in 2003. It cuts back and forth between actors playing the people involved and interviews with the actual people.

Man Bites Dog - (fictional) Documentary film about a film crew following around a killer in Belgium.

Speed Racer - The Wachowskis deliver pure glorious audio/visual delight. The villains are sneering, the sense of speed is incredible, the movie is a joy. Watch it loud on the biggest screen you have.

Blood Simple - Early Coen Brothers movie. It's excellent.

There's a lot of good stuff on here. Hoping the content stays good and it's not a deal with a bunch of good stuff that disappears in a couple of months.

edit: Holy poo poo man, Critters 1 and 2 and Gremlins 1 and 2 are on here. Hell yes. I haven't seen past the first two Critters but both are silly and entertaining and I recommend them.

edit edit: Hausu is on here. What?! What???! Ok I'll stop.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 4, 2020

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

The world of Hannibal is kind of hiliarious because everyone falls into three categories or a combination of them:

1. A murderer
2. Someone who studies murderers (I'm lumping in the autopsy bozos here)
3. Someone who has been murdered or is about to be murdered

There's one character that doesn't fit into any of these three, but I'm pretty sure they'll sort out into category 3 eventually. (I've just seen Season 1 so far)

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Survival tip for Hannibal, quickly establish that you have seen a lot of true crime documentaries and read way too many wikipedia pages about murderers so that you get lumped into category 2.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is on Netflix and I forgot just how funny it is. This movie is a perfect parody of music biopics and is absolutely loaded with great jokes. The running gags all work. If you need a laugh (and who doesn't right now?) give it a watch or a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

precision posted:

In retrospect, that's so obvious I can't believe I didn't notice, lol

Haha same. That movie has some really unexpected moments that feel out of sync with how serious and somber the rest of the movie. The main two being hijacking a spaceship as it launches and fighting a monkey in zero g.

Those moments are rad.