Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I Am Mother – I don't really disagree with anyone else's take on the story, but I will say the set design, art direction, and especially the acting exceeded my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I had to pause from laughing so hard when the witch turned and asked the kids “would you kids like some candy?” after inviting them into her house. I don’t know whats wrong with the rest of you.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The two countries that almost immediately figure out what to do against rampaging human hordes are South Africa and Israel.

By literally BUILDING THAT WALL!

That's par for the course, though. Most zombie fiction is just otherization taken to the extreme: 'we're surrounded by unthinking subhumans that must be slaughtered' made literal.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What did South Africa due to survive the zombies apocalypse? I don't recall that in the movie.

In the book it was basically concentration camps, only good. (If I'm recalling correctly, it's been awhile)

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

That's a weird read and very different from how I saw it. The union organizers were quite sympathetic and I couldn't believe what the CEO allowed himself to be filmed saying. Like, cartoonishly evil poo poo. You don't put that in your film if you're biased toward the CEO.

My read was:

American workers: a bit slobbish but basically decent and being taken advantage of
Chinese workers: brainwashed automatons
American managers: rear end-kissing union busters
Chinese manager: basically racist against the white workers
Chinese CEO: appallingly exploitative and completely lacking in self awareness
Chinese union boss: son-in-law of the CEO and who sees his job as making the workers productive for the company

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Netflix and Hulu are pretty entrenched. Apple and Amazon and bundling their services with their other products. The rest are a tossup at best as far as I'm concerned.

It's so easy to hop into a service for a few months and then cancel when you've gotten what you wanted from it, compared to the bad old days of having to call the cable co and get the AOL treatment when you try to cancel anything.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I've never even heard of Quibi but according to wikipedia Meg Whitman is the CEO. Real aura of success about it.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The King's portrayal of the battle of Agincourt was based off of the original archival photos, so you're really showing your ignorance here.

:hmmyes:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I don't think GoT gets credit for gritty battle scenes when Rome was a series on the same network.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Why does Disney+ have to have something good? I don't want to subscribe to yet another streaming service :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The biggest reason that episodic television seems so much better now is probably the switch from 22+ episodes per season to 8-10 episodes per season. I imagine it's almost impossible to write 22 episodes of something, every year for years and not have it result in a huge dip in quality.

The good shows in the old days still only had an 8-10 episode main arc for a season and then a bunch of one off filler episodes. (Although sometimes the one offs are some of the most memorable, like X Files)