Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

dirksteadfast posted:

Anybody else try out “The I-Land” and bail before the the first episode was over? Usually even if the show isn’t that great I’ll stick around for a second episode to see if it improves but either the writing was just that terrible or the actors received poor direction or they’re just bad actors because the whole thing felt like it was a really bad English dub, despite being entirely in English.

I watched it because someone in a thread said it was a trainwreck and I wanted to see just how bad. Regretted it. Saw Neil Labute's name pop up for the credits and it was like "oh, no loving wonder"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

This kinda fell under the radar, but Netflix put out Sion Sono's new film, The Forest of Love, and it's a full-on, ultraviolent, maximalist spiritual sequel to Cold Fish; the epitome of Sono's well-honed style. It's loving gnarly and pretty soul-numbing and really good

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The first installment of Ghibli films has landed for non-American, non-Japanese and (I think) non-Canadian Netflix subs. For now it's:
Castle in the Sky (1986), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989), Only Yesterday (1991), Porco Rosso (1992), Ocean Waves (1993), Tales from Earthsea (2006)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

fenix down posted:

I was trying to think of some recommendations to follow Tiger King, such as Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia (Prime), Stevie (Prime) and American Movie (?).

Then I saw IMDB put out a list:
Grizzly Man (Prime/Hoopla)
Roar (rent on FandangoNow)
Vernon, Florida (Criterion)
Thin Blue Line (Criterion)
Juvenile Court (1973) (Kanopy)
The Jinx (HBO)
Forensic Files (IMDB/Netflix)

What would be some other examples at the intersection of crime docs and rednecksploitation?

Brother's Keeper, for sure. From the directors who went on to do Paradise Lost. Also Herzog's Into the Abyss. Only available as rentals in the US, but Into the Abyss is on Prime in the UK, fwiw

Also not really true crime but absolutely has the hixploitation feel, Finders Keepers (available on all of Prime/Youtube/Hoopla in the US)

Allyn fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 2, 2020

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Crazy Love (2007) is on Hoopla and Tubi and is great for this. Errol Morris's Tabloid (2010) is also crazy like Tiger King, and it pops up on streaming often, but is currently nowhere to be found.

Can't believe I forgot about Tabloid, yeah, that's exactly this kind of thing