Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Glottis posted:

I enjoyed it but it really just made me want to watch Angie Tribeca again, which I think pushes the absurdity further in a good way. I never watched Children's Hospital, though.

I enjoyed Medical Police a lot. I'd never heard of Children's Hospital, and I'm a little blown away to find out that Medical Police is a spin-off of a long-running show. Anybody watch that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

It was nowhere near the same level of weird and gross and I was never interested in the relationship plot from S1, which at least was mingled with Kovacs's sister-relationship.

I liked Altered Carbon season 1 a fair amount, but the backstory was probably the least interesting part. After I finished the season, I realized I would have preferred if the show was a bit more like the original Blade Runner: a detective story with themes of morality and what it means to be human, without the explicit backstory or envoy stuff, which I don't think added much. As for season 2, I didn't realize that Poe would be there. I liked that character, so that's good news.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty neat show.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Deadite posted:

Does anyone know why Shout Factory’s streaming app is missing episodes of MST3K? Alien from LA, Kitten with a Whip, and Invasion USA all seem to be missing from the app

Alien from LA, Kitten with a Whip, and a couple dozen others are available on MST3K's official Youtube channel, for what it's worth. No Invasion USA, though.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I prefer the Vancouver seasons but the show’s decline doesn’t really start until Duchovny goes part-time in S8. And even then I still like the dynamic between Scully and Doggett. Season 9 is just awful all around though and Reyes is terrible.

I loved X-Files as a kid and just watched whatever episodes I could find, without worrying about the order. Then, years ago, I started watching it from the beginning and made it early in season 8 (episode 5, Invocation). I'd suggest watching seasons 1-5, then the first movie. I like the first movie a lot, and while it won't really provide answers, it's a good high point to go out on.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

This was my opinion too until like three days ago; the first episode of season 6 nullifies the movie, as it should, then it follows it up with absolute classics like Drive, the one where Walter White's head will explode if he doesn't go fast enough, Dreamland, the men in black freaky Friday and probably my favorite episode of the series, the Christmas ghosts episode, the Bruce Campbell one, the rain maker episode with Victoria Jackson, I don't know how I was remembering the show being poo poo after like season 4.

Yeah, I'm sure that there are lots of good episodes left in the series at that point, so I guess people should just keep watching until they get tired. For me (at least in my memory), season 6 is where the show becomes increasingly less satisfying as far as the "myth-arc" went. For example, I felt that the Two Fathers/One Son two-parter was an extremely dull and disappointing way to wrap up one of the show's most interesting story lines.

Why were you glad they nullified the movie? I liked that the movie finally gave us something more substantial. In the early seasons, not knowing who or what to trust is absolutely one of the series strengths, but at some point the characters needs to find something true, or else I'm going to lose interest.

This all being said, X-Files is still one of my favorite shows.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

One of my favorite movies of all time, 2001's The Emperor's New Clothes, just got put on Prime. It's a very sweet movie that won't upset you or stress you in any way. You can watch it in mixed company. It's very pretty. Ian Holm does a great loving job. It's less than 2 hours long. It has a great message about life and the world. You can throw it on after a tough day at work like a soothing episode of The Office.

To give you a real response, I really liked that movie too. I like Ian Holm in pretty much anything, and I recall it being a sweet movie, like you said. Does it hold up?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I've been missing the movie theater experience, and I've also fallen into a habit of half-watching things at home while I do other things, which isn't the best movie viewing experience. Anyone have tips for making a better movies-at-home experience? Simple stuff, like watching things in a dark room, finding a comfortable spot, making popcorn, etc.?

Basically, what little things do you do that make watching movies at home more enjoyable?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

david_a posted:

After season 2 I’m not that torn up about this. Has anybody watched the animated movie?

I only watched season 1, and liked it pretty well, but I didn't feel the need to continue. It seemed like season 2 was going to focus a lot more on the worst parts of season 1 (the love story and the backstory rebellion), and I didn't have any interest in that. I watched the trailer for the animated movie, and its focus on action left me cold. I most enjoyed the detective-noir aspects of season 1, and that was missing from the movie preview.

How did season 2 turn out? It sounds like you didn't like it that much? Did it focus too much on the love story, or did it have other problems?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I liked this short that they put out last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7kbVvpOGdQ.

It's strange to me how much trouble Jurassic World has recapturing the magic of Jurassic Park. To me, the heart of the original movie was that dinosaurs are awe-inspiring and often terrifying. That seems pretty straightforward. I think the first big misstep of Jurassic World was the premise that kids are bored of dinosaurs, so they need something bigger and better. You can see it both in the older brother's attitude and the movie's insistence on making gene-spliced dinosaur monsters. But I don't want to watch a movie about gene-spliced dinosaur monsters, nor do I want to watch a movie about sketchy military guys and sinister criminal auctions. I just want to be amazed and scared by (somewhat) realistic dinosaurs. There's magic in the original concept. You don't need all that extra stuff.

That preview looks like it has its heart in the right place. Is it supposed to be happening at the same time as Jurassic World 1?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cobra Kai is a lot of fun, and it's neat that the main two actors are reprising their characters. I like that both of the main characters are pretty flawed in different ways. Halfway through season one now.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Porco Rosso is one of my favorite animated movies and I hate that it’s not as well known or beloved as Castle in the Sky or Kiki’s. I get why though, it’s easier to get kids to love a big magic bear-thing than a Pig-Man who hates fascists.

I'm with you. Porco Rosso might be my favorite Miyazaki movie.

But yes, the answer to the earlier question is "all of them". Ponyo is aimed at a really young audience, so it's probably the one I connected with the least, but all of them are great. If you want an more specific recommendation, I'd probably say Kiki's Delivery Service or Porco Rosso.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Midgetskydiver posted:

The Coen Brothers famously lied* by starting off Fargo (the film) with a false claim that it's based on true events when it 100% is not. To my knowledge, the series is also completely fictional.

*this was an artistic choice- they were not trying to pass the film off as true, but set a certain tone for the audience

That seems like cheating, though. How is this different than the book "A Million Little Pieces", which was marketed as a memoir but turned out to be heavily fictionalized? I'm sure people felt let down by that, since there's something engaging about true stories.

I'm not sure I've ever watched Fargo, so this is a genuine question. In a similar vein, I've been disappointed when I watch a movie about a real person, get interested in a particular event in their life, and then find out it was made up in the movie, like the train scene in "Darkest Hour".

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

nate fisher posted:

To be honest Cobra Kai gets a lot of praise because it is better any right it had to be. I feel like it is not great and has tons of issues. It relies too much on clichés of characters not sharing information or characters seeing/hearing a tail end of something and making it a 100 times worse. Also the acting is not great by some of the younger actors (especially Robbie who would be great on the next season of WWDITS as an energy vampire, because he sucks the life out of every scene). In the end the Johnny and Danny stuff is for us, and the rest is for teenagers. It is not a bad show, but it really gets overhyped due to how it surprised everyone.

I finished up season 1 last night and enjoyed it a lot! Still, like you said, it does have a couple issues. The worst is the fact that characters don't communicate with each other well, so they blow up at each other up over misunderstandings. For example, I really enjoyed the episode where Johnny and Daniel get a drink together and realize that they're much more alike than they thought, but of course that episode ends with a big misunderstanding and a return to the status quo.

I've heard mixed things about season 2, with the primary complaint that it's more of the stuff mentioned above. In which case, maybe I'll wait for reviews of season 3 and decide whether it's worth continuing.

Still, there is some really good stuff in there. I especially like how both of the lead characters seem to be fundamentally good people who are prone to being jerks sometimes. It's also neat to explore how childhood traumas have shaped their adult lives.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

So there's a Dragon's Dogma show on Netflix. Castlevania was surprisingly good, so I'm giving this one a shot. It's based on a video game, but I've never actually played it. One episode in, I'm undecided. Has anyone here played the game?

Edit: And it's got a prestige-show opening, which is odd.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I like him not being a sociopath, but Sherlock must be a drug addict.

I'm pretty sure Sherlock becomes less of an addict as the original series goes on. (And I always enjoy the hint of disapproval when Watson, a doctor, mentions Sherlock's drug use.)

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

How is Lovecraft Country? It looks interesting.

Also, is it connected to any specific Lovecraft mythology, or is it just general cosmic horror?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Deadite posted:

It’s pretty good if you go in with the understanding that it is more of a pastiche of Weird Fiction magazine stories than a serious show. Each episode seems to take a trope of those stories and plays around with it in an interesting way.

So what is the show's tone? I thought it dealt with racism, so I expected a more serious/horrific tone, but you're making it should more pulpy.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Has anyone watched the Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous show? I know it's a kids show, but Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies, so I was hoping it might be good. I'm two episodes in, and so far the characters are annoying and act really entitled. Despite being brought to a cool island with dinosaurs, they constantly just do whatever they want. I feel like I'm watching all the non-main-character kids from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I did think it was funny that Jurassic World uses an escape-from-dinosaurs video game to select kids for their camp (Last Starfighter style). Escaping from dinosaurs seems like a good skill for anyone on this island to have.

Edit: Watched some more. The show got a bit better. Still not great, but alright.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 4, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched Vampires vs. the Bronx tonight. Fun movie. Very light fare, with an enjoyable gentrifiers-as-vampires theme and some fun references to Blade. Vampires have way too many weaknesses, though.

I also watched Muppets Most Wanted. I really enjoy the wholsomeness of the Muppets, so I liked this one too. It's got some catchy songs and some funny bits, so overall a worthwhile way to spend some time.

Both are on Netflix.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I never really understood Quibi's phone orientation gimmick, but it seems like this show (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ule-CRT6ENo) at least experimented with something different: "Two narratives play out simultaneously: watch horizontally for a cinematic view; twist vertically to experience Andy’s phone as your own, as he fights to stay alive." So it sounds like you watch two completely different things (maybe with the same audio?), depending on the phone orientation.

That sounds sort of neat. I could imagine a murder mystery show where the horizontal orientation shows you the characters like a normal show and the vertical view let you see the detective's casebook or scroll through other evidence. The challenge would be to review the evidence and figure out the case before the detective reveals things.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

So if Quibi shuts down entirely, will the shows end up somewhere like Netflix or Amazon, or will they disappear entirely? How do you even translate the aspect-switching gimmick onto a normal TV?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Medullah posted:

I'm watching the new Tremors movie. These have never really been "good" movies but this is like a straight up ripoff of Jurassic Park 1/2

The first Tremors is a good movie.

As for the new one, is it worth watching?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings. I didn't know anything about it, and I assumed it was sort-of Sherlock Holmes in ancient China (which sounded great). It starts out a bit like that, with some Wuxia elements added in, but it got increasingly mystical and strange as it went on. I liked the first two acts, but felt a little worn-out and vaguely unsatisfied by the end. I would have preferred something more grounded. This is the third of three movies, so maybe I should have watched the first two beforehand.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

Anyone else watched Over the Moon here?

Felt like there was a really good Pixar killer here, but it gets a bit lost in ideas that should have been on the cutting room floor (Gobi, the ping-pong match) to expand more on the main plot (the amulet, Fei Fei and Chin bonding).

Yeah, I just watched Over the Moon too. Beautiful use of colors. The film can be pretty striking at times. I would have liked to seen a little more complexity in the plot, though, which feels a bit slight. For comparison, I felt much more drawn into the escapism of Spirited Away than here (that's a high bar, I know).

Still, I'd recommend it if you want something kid friendly and visually striking.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I picked up a month of HBO Max, so I've been binging a lot of movies recently. (I like dumb action movies, so don't judge some of my choices here!) Some mini-reviews:

Kiki's Delivery Service: I've seen this one before, and it's still great. It's a little bit wistful/melancholy, but taps into an interesting sensation of growing up. When Kiki stops being able to talk to her cat, I think it was a pretty powerful detail related to her not being a child anymore and growing into her own person. Of course, other people may have a different interpretation of that. Like I said, the movie is a little wistful, but great.

Jonah Hex: Pretty forgettable. To be fair, I wasn't paying much attention. It reminded me of a less-fun version of Wild Wild West (which is a slightly better movie than its reputation).

Steel: I've heard about this movie for a long time, so I was interested in finally taking a look. Shaq isn't a great actor, but I wasn't expecting him to be. He basically does as well as I expected. Many other aspects of the movie are also pretty amateurish, though, which actually surprised me a little. For comparison, Michael Jordan is also not a great actor, but his movie (Space Jam) clearly has a lot of quality aspects to it, such as the integration between the live actors and animation.

The Witches (2020): Octavia Spencer is really good here, but overall the movie is a bit of a disappointment. Its main problem is that there's no subtlety or complexity whatsoever about the witches. All of the witches are immediately obvious as witches, which diminishes any sense of dread and/or discovery. Most of the actors do a fine job and the movie looks nice, but the lack of subtly or complexity kind of undermines the whole thing. I didn't think it was as bad as other people seem to, and the early scenes between Octavia Spencer and her grandson are some of the best parts of the movie. The movie doesn't have any really standout elements, but it's an okay background movie if you're not paying specifically for it. I'm not sure if kids would like it or not.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 8, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

More mini-reviews of movies on HBO Max:

Lethal Weapon: I haven't seen this for a while, and it's honestly a really good movie. The characters are well-drawn and interesting, the action is exciting, and the main characters both have good development. A+

Lethal Weapon 2: Also a pretty good movie, although it doesn't reach the highs of the first one. More good action and a solid friendship between two likable characters. The razzing on Murtaugh is a bit too much, though, and should have been left on the cutting room floor. Joe Pesci is right on the line between annoying and sweet, but by the end of the movie I warmed up to him.

Wild, Wild West: Not great, but enjoyable as long as you know it's going to be a silly movie. The two main characters have good chemistry and are good foils for each other. I didn't enjoy the quips between Jim West and the villain, though. (The villain keeps alluding to how Jim West is African American and Jim West makes fun of the villain for missing his legs.) Still, the movie is largely fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Scoob! on HBO Max. Strange movie. I enjoyed the Ira Glass voice cameo at the beginning, but the rest of the movie was a bit of mess. A few jokes landed, but too many didn't. I might have preferred a more standard Scooby-Doo mystery, but instead the plot involved superheros and the underworld.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey on Netflix. It put a big smile on my face. The movie has some fun songs, and I liked how the main characters were big geeks. The fact that science is basically magic is an odd pairing, but the movie is upbeat and has a nice festive art direction. Check it out if you want to give a new Christmas movie a try.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Does season 3 of Cobra Kai have more consistent character growth? I watched season 1 of Cobra Kai, and really enjoyed it overall, but I was a bit annoyed how often a simple misunderstanding would reset character development. For example, the episode where Johnny and Daniel go on a car ride together and start to understand each other was fun, but then it ends with a return to the status quo. I didn't watch season 2 because I heard it was more of that. Does season 3 improve that?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm in the mood for some really classic fantasy: Conan-style swords-and-sandals, or something with wizards or dragons. It doesn't have to be high-quality, and honestly schlock might be preferable. Something like Conan or Krull would be nice (although not those in particular, since I've already seen them). Any ideas?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Beastmaster's on Prime.

I actually watch Beastmaster recently. Great movie!

Last night I watched Gor. It is a very standard John Carter-type movie, where a nerdy guy is transported to another planet and gets to be the hero. It turned out to be low-budget schlocky fun.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Escape from LA holds a special place in my heart. I watched it at a friend's place when I was a kid, and it really encapsulates *something* about being a kid in the 90s for me. I saw it before Escape from New York and, as corny as the movie is, I still rewatch it from time to time. Snake Pliskin is such a great character.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

poo poo yeah. Attack The Block just popped up on Hulu.

Predators did as well. Is that worth a watch?

Predators is... okay? Some people seem to like it. I thought it was good enough for a watch, so go for it.

Attack the Block is good.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Solarbabies on Amazon Prime. Man, there sure is a lot of rollerskating in the post-apocalypse! The movie is really cheesy, and it's a mix of Mad Max, Rollerball, and hip 80s kids on rollerskates. If you're a fan of these sorts of movies, it might be worth a watch. Anybody else watch this?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Tonight's cheesy sci-fi movie: Space Raiders. It mostly a pretty fun Star Wars knockoff about a kid who falls in with a group of space cowboys. I liked the first two thirds, but didn't like the ending as much. Some of the matte paintings are really nice, but I could have used a tiny bit more explanation about who "the company" was. Roger Corman was the producer. I'd probably put it on the same tier as Solarbabies.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Zack Snyder's Justice League. It's a bit of a mixed bag. It's better than the original, for the simple reason that it feels like there's *something* there, rather than the big nothing that the original movie was. The movie's main problem is that it's way too long, and it's also fairly slow and depressed. It's only near the end that the movie has the tone that I wish it started with.

I liked all of the extra background and characterization, especially of cyborg, and the climax was way better. The villain still wasn't a slam dunk, but at least he now has some sort of character, rather than "big guy who conquers stuff". The overall plot is more fleshed out and generally improves the movie, although it's kind of silly. My main complaint with the plot is the stakes are way, way, way too high, to such a degree that I don't really care at all. Give me a human story with characters I care about and stakes I can emphasize with, instead of whatever this is.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I generally enjoyed myself. If you're interested and have HBO Max, it's probably worth a watch. It might help if you watch it in multiple sittings, though.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I watched the first two episodes of Avenue 5 on HBO Max, which has Hugh Laurie as the captain of the space cruise ship. It's a little bad, but I want to like it. Anyone watch this?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Okay, I watched a few more episodes of Avenue 5, and it's getting a lot better. I'm not sure why the first couple episodes didn't work for me as well. I think the show needed a little time to find its footing, but the weirdness of the later episodes helped. I'm really starting to like the characters.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I just watched Beverley Hills Cop, and I'd forgotten how fun that movie is. Eddie Murphy is just so dang charming. I don't remember if I've seen the sequels. Are they still pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

So, I saw that some of the earlier Mad Max movies are on HBO Max, and I started to watch the second one. About 10 minutes in I realized that George Miller was just doing the same thing in Fury Road as he was in 1981, and I'd rather be watching Fury Road because Fury Road is one of the best movies of all time. So I turned off Mad Max 2 and here I am watching Fury Road for the 40th time.

Yeah, Fury Road is definitely similar to The Road Warrior, although they're both very good. If I recall correctly, the first and third movies are a bit different. The first one is low budget and takes place in a sort of slow-descent-into-the-post-apocalypse setting. The third one gets panned for being a little too much Hollywood, but at least presents a different story structure.

If you want a different sort of Dystopian future, maybe check out Escape from New York, which is also on HBO Max (and stars the ever-rad Snake Plissken).