Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Middleditch and Schwartz on Netflix was more impressive than I anticipated. Very funny stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

The Vast of Night is loving great. I haven't watched a movie with such a thick spooky atmosphere in a long time. The sound design is especially good and they really make use of the time period incredibly well.

I came to the thread to post about this. This movie was great! The visuals were also excellent, including some great long shots.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Digging through HBO Max yesterday, I watched 7 Days In Hell and Tour de Pharmacy. I had never heard of either and both were hilarious. Fair warning, they are very stupid and go off the rails with the shock humor.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I watched An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn on Netflix having never heard of it. Don't watch this movie, it was terrible. They basically got a great cast of funny people, put them in funny looking costumes, and forgot to write any jokes. I guess it's supposed to be a David Lynch pastiche (it certainly felt much longer than it actually was). Matt Berry comes close to rescuing the movie at points through his sheer strength of Matt Berry-ness, Jemaine Clement has one funny joke, but overall a big whiff.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

I feel like I've run out of things to watch on streaming in the last year. I'm back to my 3rd time since quarantine started rewatching Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown.

Pluto.tv has a channel that plays blocks of No Reservations in the evenings, but they switch it up throughout the day with less exciting Bizarre Foods and Samantha Brown episodes.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

kaworu posted:

Night on Earth

Saw this on IFC in high school while awake way too late, the Helsinki segment blew me away. I'd also recommend Mystery Train, which I don't think is quite as good, but also looks like it's on Criterion.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

We watched New Mutants last night and (surprise) it wasn't very good. It felt less like a theater movie and more like the first two episodes of a mediocre Netflix show.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My only beef with dark side of the ring is that imo there's only like 4-5 eps truly compelling to a casual fan of wrestling like me. In that i pretty much stopped watching wrestling as a kid, so im not deep enough into it to be fascinated by "Yet Another Story About a Guy Who Does Too Much Drugs and/or was Really hosed Up Guy". There's a good handful of compelling stories to someone like me (but those are all quite good) and then the rest of them kinda feel samey or just not that interesting for something 44 MINUTES long

Which episodes did you like?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Hey but you not what, at least Invincible wasnt "animated" like The Way of the House Husband.

For the curious goon that hates anime that show is literally a power point presentation. I couldnt watch beyond the first episode.

I tried watching it too because I'm about to go on paternity leave and thought it was a neat concept, also gave up after one episode. After that I watched Akira on Hulu, which is a million years old and still awesome.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

My partner and I have been on a kick of watching 90s movies we missed growing up:

Great:
Hard Eight (Prime)

Good/Fun:
Sneakers (HBO Max)
From Dusk Till Dawn (HBO Max)
Bottle Rocket (Prime)

Very Bad:
The Jackal (Hulu)

It was neat to see a couple of Sidney Poitier 90s roles.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

My partner likes crime movies/psychological thrillers, some of the stuff we've watched the last few nights:
Great:
Frailty (Prime)
Good/Fun:
Layer Cake (Prime)
Bad:
Lucky Number Slevin (Hulu)

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Was Lucky Number Slevin the one where the Jewish mafia and the black mafia hire Bruce Willis to kill a seemingly random guy but it turns out Bruce and the target is executing an elaborate revenge plan against the mafia bosses that they planned for decades?

Yeah. I would have liked it more if the Josh Hartnett character really was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Sailor Moon was dope in elementary school because it was serialized and came on at 6:30 am so we could all talk about it when we got to class. The only other serialized cartoon I can remember from that time was Tintin, which was also cool.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

GD_American posted:

The Amos storyline was really the only shining part of the season.

I agree with you but I thought the guy playing Amos' brother was pretty bad.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Yeah sorry I thought it was supposed to be his foster brother or something like that.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Class Warcraft posted:

I saw something recently about Filipino's and nursing (maybe on John Oliver?), basically there was a nursing shortage, so they started advertising in the Philippines, a bunch came over, brought their families, and it became something of a family profession. Also, nowadays there are lots of nursing schools in the Philippines that are much easier to get into and much cheaper than here in the states, so you can get trained there, then come over (or come back) and then get credentialed to nurse in the US.

When I was a kid in Hawaii it seemed like every nurse/dental hygienist that took care of me was a cool Ilocano lady named Norma.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I watched Bliss on Prime, knowing nothing about it except that it was a new sci-fi movie with Owen Wilson. It wasn't super great, but it was a fairly interesting as a study of codependency, addiction, and mental health issues.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Deadite posted:

Watching Justified after Deadwood, it was fun to spot all the Deadwood actors popping up in random roles

I watched in the reverse order, pretended I was seeing all those Justified characters' ancestors.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I finally watched Tenet, I knew nothing about the plot except it had something to do with time travel. It was fine, I thought John David Washington and Robert Pattinson were both quite good. I did get sick of having to crank the volume up whenever they were talking, so I just said screw it and threw on the subtitles. It was a good move in this case, it helped me understand a little better wtf what happening. I still kind of don't get the logistics of the Red Team/Blue Team Pincer Maneuver, but whatever I didn't feel like thinking too much about it.

I also recently watched all of Love Death & Robots, and I'm sorry to say that I didn't find any of the shorts to be that good. Volume 1 standout for me was probably Fish Night, and I did enjoy Ice in Volume 2. This was a real bummer for me because I find short-form sci-fi very enjoyable to read. I don't know what makes it so hard to adapt.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Barb & Star Go to Vista Del Mar was great!

I knew nothing about it going in, I thought it was going to be a sad dramedy.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Lol at The Pest, me and my buddies in fourth grade were so hype to watch it and even then we knew it sucked.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I'm watching Jack Reacher with my father in law and holy poo poo this movie is so ridiculously terrible, it's basically a parody. It's a fifteen year old incel's power trip fantasy.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I've been checking out Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on Hulu, and I like it far more than I thought I would. It's not as annoyingly whimsical as I feared.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I tried watching Reminiscence and I passed out about 20 minutes in, it was so boring.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

MrXmas posted:

I have a request for streaming movie suggestions with a fair bit of context:

I’m running a Discord film club with friends. We take turns with one person nominating 3 films which everyone then votes on; anything with enough interest gets watched. For my picks I like to have some kind of theme, however strong or vague, tying them all together. My next upcoming round I’m thinking about doing “unexpectedly decent kind-of-a-comeback” with Sonic the Hedgehog and JCVD, but I don’t have a third. Any suggestions?

Technically for our club it needs to be on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, or Kanopy, but I know that’s pretty limiting so don’t worry about that constraint.

The first movie that came to mind for me was Creed, but it doesn't seem to be streaming; Rocky Balboa is on HBO Max, I think it still fits the bill even if it's not nearly as good as Creed.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I watched 13 Assassins on Hulu yesterday, and it was awesome, check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Devs came out right at the beginning of the lockdown, it was great sitting at home getting blazed TV. It also introduced me to the greatness of Patrick Cowley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPny1esdZrk