Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Maybe they’re just not advertising it because it sucks a lot. I don’t think I’ve seen a single good review for it. I loved Arrested Development so much back in the day, it hurts to see it like this.

This is the reason. There's less laughs in this entire season (or half season) than one episode from the original run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey, he said he already saw Season 1 and wouldn't have HBO for too much longer. Seasons 2 and 3 weren't nearly as good as 1, but I figured a fan of 1 might still want to see the others. I'm a sucker for anything neo-noir, so despite their glaring flaws, I think I cut them more slack and enjoyed them more than most people did.

I agree with you and also the third season is significantly better than S2. Yeah, it's not as good as the first season, but it's worth watching if you liked S1.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Fartington Butts posted:

The movie everyone asked for, Backdraft 2, is now on Netflix.

Does the Donald Sutherland character make a return? His three minute appearance in the first film is probably the highlight.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Wow Black Mirror SSN 5 is a real piece of work. And by work I mean poo poo.

It's not just that the episodes are poor, but they are way too long. There's no way to justify the run time on these episodes.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

Speaking of Taco, I've been burning through The League and lmao all of the way through. I'm thinking about starting It's Always Sunny when I'm done.

The last season is terrible and is basically just a commercial for DraftKings. The show clearly isn't hiding the fact that they got paid to endorse it and just throw it into every plot line.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Oh hey, Bandersnatch just won Outstanding Television Film at the Emmys.

Should've been Deadwood.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

This except Goodfellas made me nauseous and I never got to the point where I really like mafia movies.

e: this is an easier thing to admit in 2019 than it was previously.

Nauseous from what exactly? I'm assuming in the sense that what is shown on screen made you feel sick, but I can't figure out what was especially gory or unsettling visually. Maybe the Billy Batts stuff?

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 3, 2019

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Deadite posted:

Netflix’s DVD service isn’t terrible, but I’m not sure if there is a service I can replace it with. Are there any rental companies still out there?

Consider checking out the selection at your local library. I found some movies at mine that I couldn't find via any other rental / streaming service.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Boosh! posted:

The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story is a must IMO.

This, plus Fargo, assuming that's on there too.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

fenix down posted:

What would be some other examples at the intersection of crime docs and rednecksploitation?

Harlan County, USA is amazing.

Edit: Although, it may not be available for streaming...

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 3, 2020

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

McMillions was good but probably could have been shortened.

Yeah, It definitely did not need to be six episodes. There seemed to be quite a bit of extraneous material.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Wasn't HBO dropping a bunch of content for free always supposed to be super temporary? I think they just did that to get people hooked so they will subscribe to HBO Max later this month Do something nice for the world during quarantine.

I wouldn't expect any of that stuff not to be removed before the 27th.

It seems to no longer be accessible now. I tried to load in and there's no more of the free content on HBO Now.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Looks like Hoop Dreams is on HBO and Hulu, that's like the gold standard for basketball docs.

"Gold standard" is not even doing it justice. Please watch it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Interesting. Paul Walter Hauser was quite good in I, Tonya, so that has me curious. Is it funny at all?

Sam Rockwell has most of the comic relief and he's awesome like always, but Hauser is great and since you liked him in I, Tonya you might want to check it out. Plus if you have recollections of the 1996 Olympics it's an interesting nostalgia piece at times.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

Buzzr can be watched for free online a few different ways. Pluto was mentioned, but also Stirr, a streaming site owned by the people who own Buzzr.

Amazon Prime has a bunch of their shows, too. I've been watching Match Game from the mid 70s.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Soderbergh directed every episode. Its the best shot TV show I've ever seen.

It's been around awhile, but for anyone else who might want a slick looking TV show, check out ZeroZeroZero on Prime. I'd describe it as a Michael Mann inspired drug trade drama in the vein of Heat with elements of Sicario and Narcos.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended zerozerozero on prime. The first episode was decent from the get go and it's steadily ramped up from there.

That was me, and glad you're enjoying it. I can't remember which episode(s) they're from, but the night club scene (you'll know it, it's "the Michael Mann scene" to me) and the sequence on the container ship were both amazing to me.

Simone Magus posted:

It's a travesty that Twin Peaks on Netflix has the "skip intro" button.

When you binge watch it, there's only so many times you can hear "Falling" before it gets a bit too much.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah both of those scenes happened in episode 2 which is exactly where we got hooked. This Mexican special forces storyline in particular is insane.

Please circle back and let me know what you think when you finish it. :munch:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Man, I know Outlaw King has problems but I just really love it. I'm currently on my third watch in the 2 years and change since it's been on Netflix. If it fell through the cracks for you, I suggest you give it a try.

I need to revisit it. I have no recollection of it other than some cool set pieces. I also get it mixed up with the other Netflix original with Timothee Chalemet which isn't in the Braveheart universe but feels like it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Popping in to say that there's never a bad time to watch Stop Making Sense (Prime, or with ads on Vudu or Tubi or Pluto)

The Last Waltz is also on Prime if you want another fantastic concert film.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Jolo posted:

Man of Steel was miserable. Devoid of any charm or substance or anything. There's one gag at the end where a construction site's "days since last accident" sign gets a dude thrown into it and it changes to zero and that's the only good moment in the whole thing. There's entertainment in Green Lantern or Catwoman. Man of Steel is soulless. Blechh.

No argument here, but drat did the teaser trailer kick rear end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wArmHSPIvlQ

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

kaworu posted:

My roommate was highly recommending ZeroZeroZero - so it's worth checking out? The one thing that really intrigued me was hearing that Mogwai did the music - I was a big fan of theirs back in the early '00s when I was into stuff like them, Sigur Ros, GSY!BE and whatnot.

If you like Michael Mann's style, and are interested in a sort of The Wire meets Sicario meets Narcos mash-up, absolutely check it out.

And yes, the music is great.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hey let's fire up Amazon Prime Video and find us a heart-thumping, pulse-pounding, action thrill ride!

I don't have an example available, but I've seen it put obviously fictional movies in the "Documentaries" category.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Caught The Untouchables ...
I give it extra credit for making the brave choice of having Kevin Costner use a baby as a human shield.
"I'm armed and expecting an imminent gun battle...this is a good time to push a baby stroller..."

(Not spoiler tagging a movie almost as old as me.)

I mean, it was more him trying to get the woman and her baby out of there ASAP since she was struggling up the stairs at a sluggish pace. The bigger dumb decision was trying to at times make it historically accurate and then completely inventing such a bizarre death for Frank Nitti.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Lost was good for 1 season before the writers became completely unable to restrain themselves and ended up creating plots via madlibs that make no sense or never see resolution.

I feel like the "plots never see resolution" narrative is overblown and that most people touting it would be hard pressed to name even a few that had any significance to the show. One wildcard to this, though, is that real world circumstances seemed to play a part in forcing changes; namely, a key actor who evidently was going to be a huge part of the story abruptly quit the show (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje), the two actresses who had that weird DUI and maybe something else going on were also abruptly written out, the actor playing Walt grew like 8 inches overnight and his character didn't work anymore, and there may be another one of these that I'm forgetting...

Edit: Conversely, sometimes it works in the other way, such as expanding Michael Emerson's character, which was perhaps supposed to be only a one or two episode storyline but they realized the actor was fantastic, unless I'm remembering that wrong.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 18, 2021

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

Yeah there's tons of plots that go absolutely nowhere, like the thing with pregnant women dying on the island. It does work a lot better when you binge watch it because you can more quickly forget dead ends and move on to the next mystery.

I guess I can't draw the apparently obvious distinction between a mystery and a plot. Perhaps my ignorance on this is at the root of my misconception then.

mystes posted:

... "it's not their fault that they had to change some stuff that resulted in the show making less sense overall" is not a very persuasive argument.

Apparently not, though I don't know what acceptable alternative there is other than re-casting the role which they evidently felt was not the way to go, and not knowing exactly what they had planned originally it's difficult to assess how much of a mistake that was.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

The Last Unicorn totally holds up. Such a classic. (On prime currently)

So much of that movie scared me as a child. I'm not sure which part was the worst.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

Man, Time Bandits is a trip. I hadn't watched it in ages, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It has a fun time-travel adventure plot and comedy bits, but it also has vaguely dark themes about consumerism and the nature of good and evil. Really vivid imagery and a good cast of characters. Still, I'm left slightly unsettled by it. For what seems to be a kid's movie, it sure touches on some heavy stuff without providing any clear answers. It's on HBO Max, and I'd recommend it.

Great movie, and fits in very well with the other early 80s "kids" movies that will mess you up. I'm probably scarred from viewing those.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

A large number of premium channels -- Showtime, Starz, Paramount+, Discovery+, etc. -- are on sale for $0.99 for 2 months as part of Amazon Prime Day.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Are there any Showtime shows that are actually worth watching right now? In my experience, most fall off dramatically in quality after just a couple of seasons. But it's been several years since I last had Showtime.

As the other person mentioned, Billions is very good but the quality is less in the recent season(s). I watched that and Homeland just because I had never finished the latter (and talk about a decline in later seasons, yikes).

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Hirsute posted:

Deadwood is maybe my favorite TV drama of all time, it's like modern Shakespeare IMO

Just with a bit more use of the term "cocksucker".

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Seconding that T2 holds up incredibly well. Arguably the best action movie of all-time, but at least from that decade.

Some dude on reddit recently posted where his girlfriend was completely unfamiliar with the Terminator movies and he successfully had her experience T1 & T2 back-to-back with no foreknowledge of the Arnold "huge twist that was revealed to everyone in the trailers" change-up.

david_a posted:

The freezing is implied to have damaged the T-1000 as well. I think the only thing left in the theatrical cut is that he has a “ripple” when he pauses to look around (which can also come off as annoyance). His hand also gets momentarily fused to a railing without his intent, and I think the foot thing was how John figures out which Sarah is the real one.

Granted it's not the nitpick thread but is there any justifiable explanation for why the T-1000 let Sarah live after he stabs her and then mimics her? Some of his behavior in the factory scene can be attributed to the glitches that have been discussed but that kind of mistake doesn't hold up that well under scrutiny.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

So, if it makes you feel better, I just took a look at the Wikipedia, and Tim Burton was offered the opportunity to direct, but he turned it down for Batman Returns. It does very much seem like something right up his alley. He ended up doing his spooky 60s family film a couple decades later with Dark Shadows.

Tim Burton was the original director for the (not so) classic film Cabin Boy.

He dropped out to make Ed Wood, which incidentally is my favorite of his films.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Say that to HBO investing on producing like 5 different spin offs and several other networks working on similar properties in hopes of getting shows that were even a fraction of the success. I get that you guys get off on being cynical, it's the nature of this website, but it's like talking to a wall with you guys on this issue.

I'm certainly on board for additional "GoT" properties (Robert's Rebellion, please). Benioff & Weiss assuredly won't be involved and they're the reason that the series fell apart.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah there are some major deep cuts on there as well.

Any specific recommendations? I trawled through the majority of the catalog but may have missed a few gems.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Surprised Super Troopers isn't on that list

E: Add Pineapple Express, EuroTrip, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Friday to that list

And Grandma's Boy.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Disposable Scud posted:

Burn After Reading is a gem. Malkovitch stifling his laughter during the scene with Pitt in the car absolutely kills me.

The standouts for me are Clooney's destruction of the dildo device and also storming out with his wedge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Skyfall was a lot of fun, but was also a complete mess and full of gaping plot holes.

It's probably my favorite of the Craig films in spite of all of the flaws, but that's mostly because of Roger Deakins. And also Javier Bardem, who just went for it and I'm so glad he did. His mannerisms alone are just a delight.