Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The preview for Sonnie's Edge really grabbed me -- I liked the aesthetic, the music -- but the writing is so loving bad I tapped out without even finishing the whole 17-minute episode. Just atrocious.

I hadn't realized at first it was an anthology series, but if that's what they lead with I don't think I'm interested.

wot a tweeeeest!

Peter F. Hamilton is not a great writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, they have some really good deals like that sometimes but for most of them you’re ineligible if you already have an active subscription. I canceled mine for a while, but the new Spotify premium deal brought me back since I was already paying for Spotify anyway.

I had no idea Spotify was doing this until I saw somebody post about it today. I use Spotify on my phone every day but I never would have known if I hadn't seen someone else talking about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

13-year-old me would kill me for saying this but the awful CGI titties all over Love Death & Robots are pretty cringeworthy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is Hulu still doing that thing where if you get the pack-in subscription you're not allowed to give them more money for the ad free one? I got mine with a Spotify subscription and I couldn't upgrade it to no-ads.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beanieson posted:

Anybody start The Spy on Netflix yet? Sasha Baron Cohen playing a real life Mossad agent embedded in Syria, the trailer looks great and reviews seem pretty good.

just to save you guys the trouble this is NOT a show about Sacha Baron Cohen actually going to Syria and pretending to be a Mossad agent

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

No matter your opinion on The Terror the show, stay away from The Terror the book. Goddamn what a slog.

Correct opinion. The book needed editing badly. Some long, sprawling books earn their length but The Terror did not.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 16, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mary had a little clam posted:

nope they are 100% separate entities and an account is not shared. it's super annoying

iirc they're the same price so it's insanely obnoxious that you have to decide between integration with the streaming service you actually use and content they only publish on their trash-tier web service/app

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 27, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is the dumbest argument, who gives a single flying gently caress who's right

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m having a hard time sticking with Season 2 of Jack Ryan because one of the two major plot lines appears to be that the one guy is too loving fat to be CIA

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's strange to criticize the writing when there's like a half dozen spoken lines per episode. In any case the music, especially the main theme, is great.

Writing includes the plot developments and events that happen, not just the dialogue.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

The Mandalorian is fun. The only bit I really didn't like so far was the introduction of all the other Mandalorians with different suits and gadgets. Getting the armour upgraded felt pretty video-gamey as well. Fett was cool because he was the last of his kind/a true lone wolf etc.

Yeah that’s really the only part of the series I’ve disliked so far. The Mandalorian friends felt video game goofy.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OTOH the Mandalorian friends are a perfect lead in to a new Star Wars Republic Commando

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Looks way less treacherous than I-25

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mando definitely does not gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There’s a man bun under that helmet

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PlutoTV also has MST3K and RiffTrax

loving Netflix.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So did people just comment on what they thought the movie would be like without watching it or even reading what it was about?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Looks like someone hasn't noticed that they have ALL the Austin Powers movies. Yeah baby!

Austin Powers definitely holds up in these troubled times and I won’t hear otherwise

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are they going to make another season of Lost in Space? There was a lot I didn’t like but I thought it was a fun formula and wanted to see them get better

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hell yeah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Would it matter? It's obvious Canadian police give less than two shits about animal torture.

American cops also become extremely cautious and passive in response to animal abuse yet justify anything up to and including homicide based on a whiff of marijuana or seeing dark skin.

I presume Canadian police don’t have a policy to murder family dogs on sight, at least.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flatluigi posted:

probably because it's not that notable that a streaming service has one of the several dozen sitcoms about a lovely husband and a shrew of a wife that aged like milk

Peg aged pretty well imo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I generally think it’s crazy to suggest people skip seasons of anything that’s not an anthology show like American Horror Story but it’s an especially bad suggestion for The Expanse.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Finally watched End Game right before my Disney+ expired, and it is everything I hate about comic book movies. I know I’m dealing with the subjective here, but I just don’t see how anyone who is over 13, could say that was a great movie. As someone who grew up reading Marvel comics I was I could, but the Avengers movies are just big misses for me (the one before End Game was the best of the bunch).

They’re all bad except Thor Ragnarok and Antman

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tainen posted:

Didn’t see this one coming
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1219744617349824512?s=21

Would be interesting to see how many people watched the whole series though.

My mom and my boomer coworkers loving loved The Witcher

it's really weird

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ignis posted:

If you're enjoying it, stop watching it on Netflix like Right now and go watch it at Hidive or Funimation. The version you're getting has all episodes cut off in half (plus you get the option of a dub if you so prefer)

By cut in half do you mean they don’t replay the episode with different voice actors?

I think there are a few more differences but they were never anything I cared all that much about.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

Well I'll be damned, Netflix finally added an option to stop auto-playing trailers if you pause too long while browsing!

gently caress me why was this not there from the beginning

they recently started showing trailers in HDR so now I get to deal with constant mode switching

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

First ep was incredible and then it kind of dropped off until I stopped watching after episode four. After it's pretty clear that the killer is just a supernatural monster that can do anything the mystery really disappears.

Did I give up too soon? Does it pick up again?

Well there's only 6 episodes so I don't know but it does seem to be going downhill

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Medullah posted:

Man I had no plans to watch The Hunt but Coronaboredom kicked in so I said what the hell.

I enjoyed it. Like, a lot. What's wrong with me?

Why would you think there’s anything wrong with you? Lots of people like the show.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sling Blade is a classic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

Watched Blow Out on Pluto TV. It's an old Brian De Palma flick about an audio engineer for a lovely horror movie company who accidentally records a suspicious car accident that leaves a prominent politician dead while he's out recording sounds for a movie he's working on. There's a handful of things wrong with it, but as a whole that movie still holds up incredibly loving well. Approaching the Noir mystery story from the perspective of an audio engineer is such an inspired choice and I absolutely loved when the movie got into the nitty gritty of the audio editing and investigation process. It also has one hell of a loving ending.

I've been liking Pluto TV quite a bit. There's a lot of lovely channels to sift through if you miss channel surfing and a handful of pretty decent channels like the dedicated MST3K channel. I've been watching the old 80's Poirot movies on there as well which are available on demand, which are a lot more racist than I remember, but still enjoyable whodunnits. Unfortunately the movie I dowoaded the service to watch, Dredd, is only available in spanish for some reason, but I'm probably gonna keep using it anyways.

Pluto TV has some really cool programming and since they've stopped airing anti-healthcare propaganda ads nonstop it's been a lot more tolerable. I've caught a lot of campy old horror movies I otherwise would never have seen.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jolo posted:

Haven't watched Dredd in a while so I looked up where it was available to stream. It's available on a streaming service called Pluto.TV which has a bunch of movies on demand and also live tv channels which run with ads. Ads suck but maybe I'll get lucky like watching You're Next on TubiTv where they just put a single commercial before the movie. So I go to Plutotv and quickly realize that there's no search option at all. I page through a bunch of Action listings and then a bunch of SciFi listings but don't see it. I sign up for an account with a throwaway email thinking maybe they've locked things like the search feature behind providing an email address. Nope. No search at all. I go back to Justwatch.com and look it up there and click the link for plutotv there. I'm finally I'm able to pull up the movie which is listed as: Dredd (LAS): https://pluto.tv/on-demand/movies/dredd-(las)-1-1

It's dubbed in Spanish. So hey, if you want to watch Dredd in Spanish, Plutotv has got you covered.

There’s dialogue in that movie?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

precision posted:

Yo don't sleep on Alex Garland's latest movie, Devs. It's 8 hours long.

I really liked it but some people had an allergic reaction to it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What did you actually like about it?

I enjoyed the cinematography and the imagery, and was able to suspend disbelief well enough to get invested in the storyline and the dilemmas proposed throughout the series. I think it was a neat sci-fi story that tackled a type of material that others have undoubtedly done better but not in a way that I found as entertaining.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 2, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

eighty-four merc posted:

I'm two episodes into Devs and I'm wondering if I should tap out

i like spy poo poo and I like spy fi poo poo, and I'm pretty good at suspending disbelief, but holy poo poo the fight between Nick Offerman's head of security and Sergei's Russian handler that culminates with (checks notes) the former apparently breaking the latter's neck against a car tire by leg pressing him into it just really took the wind out of my sails. I've completely, irrationally lost interest in the show.

It struck me as absurdly stupid in terms of fight choreography, weightless in its dramatic tension, and was paradoxically boring while also being batshit and over the top

Best way I can describe my revulsion is it felt like I was watching anime

Do I have a lot more of that kind of poo poo to look forward to if I keep watching or was that kind of a one-off thing?

That’s basically the only extended fight scene in the show. Maybe give it one more episode.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Langoliers-style premise got me on board with Into the Night but after the first episode it seems like a lovely TV miniseries right out of 2004.

Which I guess is on brand at least but it sure is boring and contrived

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m watching Contagion now and holy poo poo people weren’t kidding about how spot on it was about so much

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

HBO Max:

A) allows me to sort my watchlist with the press of a button
B) provides a complete alphabetical list of literally everything on the service

Which immediately rockets it to the greatest streaming platform ever. If they added the ability to sort by “Added since {date}” I would cancel all other services.

Wow next you’re gonna tell me it doesn’t randomly shuffle your recently viewed list around to ~boost discovery~

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How does anybody watch Artemis Fowl without wanting to dunk that dumb kid's head in the world's filthiest toilet

I think my favorite part is when Dom is dying and Artemis tells Dom's niece to get lost so he alone can share Dom's final moments

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I really enjoyed my local comfy chair dinner theater but then they got bought out by some corporate fucker who made all the food worse and jacked the prices up 50%