Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1109098719402737666

Looks like The Criterion Channel got all the original content produced for Filmstruck, plus they have films from the major studios... just in the first month, films from Warner (Mildred Pierce and True Stories), MGM (Blue Velvet), Sony (Punch-Drunk Love, Easy Rider), Paramount (Rosemary's Baby), and Universal (Do the Right Thing and Being John Malkovich).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you have Amazon Prime, everyone should see Cast a Deadly Spell

Pretty fun made-for-HBO movie from the early 90s. Fred Ward stars as a detective in late-40s Los Angeles where magic and witches are real. Also has Julianne Moore and David Warner, directed by Martin Campbell. It can be a little cheap-looking at times, but I admire how it totally runs with the concept in full earnest.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

precision posted:

If you've somehow never seen Strangers On a Train or just want to rewatch it, it's on Netflix right now

Hey, aren't you Guy Haines?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There should be a place to complain about how there are still movies, big studio movies, that you simply cannot legally stream on the internet in the year 2019. Two examples are the schlocky Pacific Heights and the absolutely beautiful Topsy-Turvy. They're not available in the catalog of any streaming service and you can't even buy or rent them anywhere.

Topsy-Turvy will probably be on The Criterion Channel eventually since it was up on Filmstruck, even if just for a limited time.

Pacific Heights is part of the Morgan Creek library, which just recently moved from Warner Bros. to Sony, so that might be why it's been absent. Likewise, the Regency library (Heat, L.A. Confidential, Once Upon a Time in America) recently moved to Fox from WB.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Buckle up, Loqueesha just popped up on Amazon Prime

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, those with The Criterion Channel will want to check out the Columbia Noir before the films leave on June 30. Every single one has been a lot of fun, though I skipped a few I've already seen.

My Name is Julia Ross (1945, Joseph H. Lewis) - Tense, relentless "gaslighting" noir. Barely over an hour.
So Dark the Night (1946, Joseph H. Lewis) - Kind of falls apart at the end, but still a clever dream-like noir. Also only an hour long.
In a Lonely Place (1950, Nicholas Ray) - Bogart as a washed-up screenwriter caught up in a murder. One of Bogie's best performances and Gloria Grahame is amazing, too.
The Big Heat (1953, Fritz Lang) - Essential noir with Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame, plus Lee Marvin as a vile heavy.
Human Desire (1954, Fritz Lang) - Another good noir with Ford and Grahame, remake of Renoir's Le bete humaine.
Drive a Crooked Road (1954, Richard Quine) - Outstanding noir with Mickey Rooney as a lonely mechanic. Also has Kevin McCarthy as a delightfully evil heavy.
Nightfall (1956, Jacques Tourneur) - Interesting noir with Aldo Ray that plays with non-linear plotting. Rudy Bond is an evil sonofabitch in this and gets quite an amazing fate.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Can't believe how amazing stuff like the theatrical cartoon shorts look and the 4K HDR versions of The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron.

They only released a single volume Blu-ray of HD versions of some Mickey shorts, but there's some quite stunning versions of 30s Silly Symphonies up. Not just looking good, the sound remastering on stuff like The Three Little Pigs is impressive.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Taima posted:

Hey I just have a question about this Disney+ stuff.

I was checking out the free trial and was pretty surprised to see that some classics are on 4K that I don't believe ever made it to 4K blu ray (namely stuff like Wall-E, A Bug's Life etc).

So I'm just wondering what's up with these releases? It's just confusing, I collect 4K blu rays and have, to the best of my knowledge, all of the titles that Disney recently released in the lead-up to D+ (Moana, Guardians 1, etc etc etc).

Will these ever make it to 4K disc?

From what I've heard from insiders, Disney has always been opposed to much work on home video besides new releases and a handful of their bigger titles. It took Roy Disney and Leonard Maltin pleading to let them do the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs in the 2000s and they have zero interest in porting them to Blu-ray despite having 4K masters of every single cartoon.

It's really strange because there's a ton of stuff on Disney+ that's not even available on Blu-ray and still ancient early format DVDs. Like The Black Cauldron is still DVD-only, though at least a 16x9 version instead of the original letterboxed disc, all while a 4K HDR master exists.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 19, 2019

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a heads up that The Criterion Channel is now available on the XBox One

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

Is there a place that has a good chunk of episodes or is it still a "look around for bootlegs" situation

Actually, they're only 15 episodes away from having the entire series in-print on DVD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The movie's already made, it's available. You can either watch it or not. This doesn't look like my cup of tea, but sometimes it's better to let controversial films be.

What I'm worried about is this being used an excuse to justify suppressing other films. First one that comes to mind is Celine Sciamma's Tomboy, which features a 10 year old at the central character. Was that film being exploitive? I thought it was a brilliant film, but I did acknowledge that it went places that may be tough considering the ages depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/NotebookMUBI/status/1349779776328900611?s=20

Just when I thought nothing would top Netflix finally getting The Other Side of the Wind completed and shown.