Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

veni veni veni posted:

5 episodes into Monsterland and it's a bit hit or miss but overall I'm enjoying it. All of the episodes have been thoroughly entertaining with a good, often familiar cast. The only one I thought was outright bad so far was the second episode with it's kitchen sink approach to topical internet stuff. It just felt completely unfocused and dumb. It was still a fun watch though and I like that kid from Ozark so it wasn't all bad.

Episode 5 with the woman from Oitnb and the other lady from The Deuce was the best one by far imo. Felt like sort of an arthouse Tales From the Crypt episode.

I dropped Monsterland at the beginning of the third episode. I felt like they were trying to be a smart topical show, but it all feels dumb. Second episode is indeed extremely BAD.

Has someone watched Books of Blood? Lots of the reviews I looked around are saying it isn't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Watched BoB this morning. Didnít hold my interest for even 15 minutes.

What a shame. I was excited because it's Clive Barker's stuff (Reviewers said that two of the three stories weren't based on anything written by Barker and was just original stuff from the show's writers). I'm starting to have early fears that Helstrom might not be too good either.

Anyways, gonna finish The Haunting of Hill House to ease my horror tv show/movie itch.

quote:

Iíve read North American Lake Monsters 3 times now & it still sticks with me for a few days.

Adding that to the must read list.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Medullah posted:

I watched the first two yesterday before the biggest horror show of the week the debate and it was decent. Not bad, not good. The first story really gave me chills but had a really bad ending, and the second one was more traditional Barker horror. Incidentally, I had no idea that they actually did a full length movie of that story back in 2009.

I might give it a tiny chance. A tiny one.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

This is true to the source, a juvenile dumb comic

And surprisingly they managed to make it LESS dumb juvenile than the comic was.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

Bly manor sucks. Holy poo poo I hate these awful loving ghosts

I only got like...10 minutes in to the first episode and got distracted with something else. A friend of mine said is ok, but not scary.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

Thanks for this compelling review.

You're welcome. Would you prefer a 6000 words thesis about the show and why it didn't caught my attention at all? Everything in Twitter format, of course.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I'd cancel my Netflix in a heartbeat if my entire family didn't use my account...

They already raised the prices here in my country, last year. So I dunno if they're gonna do it again.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Anybody seen the somewhat oddly named Rise of Empires: Ottoman?

For a moment I thought it was the Turkish show my mom has been obsessed with.(The one she's crazy about focus on Ertugrul's life, if I'm not mistaken. It's soap opera-ish and has like 9 seasons if you are interested. fake edit: I had to look for the name and it's Ertugrul Ghazi or Resurrection: Ertugrul).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Fartington Butts posted:

Important to note for those who didn't click through: These movies will only be on HBO Max for 31 days after the theater date.

That's more than enough time for the to do their thing.
I wonder if they are hopping the usual to happen (people who got the deciding the spend money on the legal way 'cause they really liked the movie/show/music).

About the surge in subscriptions that's definitely going to happen, I'm even considering getting an account in HBO Go (There's no MAX in my country). That if things go well financially for me next year.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

Mank is really drat good!

I loved everything about it. Then I got sad because this is one of those movies I would love to see in a theater.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If it makes you feel better the chicken Norway hurts Waittiti just as much. It was a last minute change and they had like 48 hours to do it before the premiere.

Yeah, I remember that whole scene was gonna happen in New York, finding Odin in the I think a retirement home, and fight Hela on some alley or something. I forgot why they had to do the sudden change.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

WW84 was okay....I guess? But not something I would watch again. There was a moment where I was about to turn it off because I was getting bored ( during the scene where they are just flying through the fireworks. I know it was supposed to be ~romantic~ but it was SO BORING and it was taking too long. I wanted to watch strong woman punch bad guys). Gotta said Pedro Pascal was the best thing in it.

Anyways, watch Pixar's Soul instead. That one is a million miles better and the music is amazing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

And then, of course, they had her punch the abstract concept of war in the face.

Jacked up abstract concept of war that kept its silly mustache.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Flying Zamboni posted:

The reveal that he had the mustach before he disguised himself as a 1917 British aristocrat was all I could think about during that last action scene.

Jesus. I know. I was trying so hard not to laugh during the whole last fight.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

surf rock posted:

Just watched Birds of Prey on HBO Max. I liked it a lot! Washed the bad taste of WW84 out of my mouth, at least. It's kind of the movie I had expected Suicide Squad to be: colorful, energetic, and full of random DC comics people I don't know aside from Harley Quinn.

Also, if there are any pro wrestling fans here: all I could think of with Huntress was Bayley's heel gimmick and it made me laugh every single time; I loved it.

Last thing: Ewan McGregor was phenomenal.

Hahaha oh dear, it's true, I had more fun with that movie. I should give it the rewatch it deserves.

I also got me Disney+ and have been re-watching/and watching the X-men movies. The old ones had their own charm, and are still enjoyable even if some effects have aged bad. The new ones? Oh...god, so bad. I didn't watch Dark Phoenix in theaters and...jesus...what a mess, I won't say much but that many people were right about how you can see that Jennifer Lawrence didn't want to be in those movies. Only First Class and Days of Future Past are salvageable, the rest are absolute burning trash.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

The John Wicks have also shown that Reeves is a very good physical/choreographic actor. Especially at his age it's very impressive, and the amount of practice and effort he puts in really elevates those movies.

I think his best movies are action ones, aside from Bil & Ted. Speed, Matrix, John Wick, etc. The guy just has some weird charisma and everyone can instantly love him. Must be his immortal vampire glamour.

Nic Cage is another story, and yes, he can act much better. I'm loving that it seems he is trying to sneak in to the weird indy horror genre.

Uh. Eh. Streaming, yeah. I've ended up watching The One and Only Ivan out of boredom. It's...nice? Like nice, funny. It's of course a movie for children so don't expect anything deep about it. Although, I'm surprised that animal CGI has gone that far, I dunno if the gorilla was done with motion capture but that was quite decent for a "movie about silly talking animals".

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ariza posted:

That Denzel Washington movie was loving dire. It wasn't fun. It wasn't interesting. It wasn't suspenseful.

I think we should set up a Kickstarter to fire Jared Leto into the sun. Or get him more fat dude/wasting disease roles so he has to put his aging health on the line for my amusement.

Was it just me, or the editing was terrible? I don't know, I just couldn't keep watching.

Also, Jared Leto got a few nominations for looking like a creep.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I think Judas and the Black Messiah is already up, right?
How good is it?

The Little Things was a huge disappointment btw. I just rolled my eyes at the moment one of the main characters said the movie's name out loud, editing was so bad (I'm not an expert just saying this as a viewer, but there's a boring scene where they are having family breakfast and the way everything was cut back and forth and so extremely fast , it literally and really made me dizzy), and I just stopped watching when Jared Leto showed up. Just the hell with it, it was bad.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

I forgot that there was a reboot of it in 2019.

Wait, a reboot? Hahaha, never realized.

(Yes, I watched Murphy Brown. Cable TV as new thing in the early 90's in my house so I would sit there and watch as many shows I could, no matter if they were re-runs).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

They gave Snyder 70 million dollars to finish the movie. If the Snyder Cut is even remotely successful by whatever metrics Warner has for HBO Max content, I'm sure they'll greenlight more Snyder DC stuff.

They already said "thank you very much but no".

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I was on my phone, but here the news:

https://www.cnet.com/news/warner-bros-says-no-plans-with-zack-snyder-after-justice-league/
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/zack-snyder-justice-league-suicide-squad-ray-fisher-warnermedia-1234935580/

quote:

"We're just so happy that he could bring his cut of the Justice League to life because that wasn't in the plan until about a year ago," Sarnoff continued. "With that comes the completion of his trilogy. We're very happy we've done this, but we're very excited about the plans we have for all the multi-dimensional DC characters that are being developed right now."

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The reason you can't rule out some sort of continuation to the "Snyderverse" is that they're definitely doing a Flash movie and they're of course going to do an Aquaman sequel. So these characters are gonna have their chance at keeping the success going and in 2 or 3 years from now I don't think it's crazy at all to speculate that they might decide to bring Snyder back in some capacity.

My big guess is that they are waiting to see how Matt Reeves' Batman and James Gunn's Suicide Squad do before deciding which way to go with their movies.

Although I remember they wanted to do a line of movies that was more in the indy-esque (faux indy/"grounded in reality"/whatever) style and at the same time a more blockbuster flashy superhero line.

I dunno, WB tends to be a mess when it comes to what they want the DC franchise to be.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Jolo posted:

Netflix on PS4 has a screensaver thing where it displays a movie or show and then will list 2-3 things describing it underneath.

Wheel of Fortune was something like: "Game Show" "Family" "Cerebral"

You use your brain, but Cerebral is definitely not how I'd describe Wheel of Fortune.

Is the screensaver a new feature? I noticed it the other day on the smart TV, hadn't seen it before.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

Just as a reminder to those who haven't watched it, Raised by Wolves on HBO Max is a wild ride.

I need season 2 now NOW, NOW. I just loved space Ragnar.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Shadow and Bone was...ok. I've never read the book, and watched out of curiosity. Just two points:

1) Alina is a dumbass. A big big BIG dumbass.

2) Ber Barnes is a love. And was great in his role.

And, I'm hooked and already wondering if we'll get a second season.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Stayne Falls posted:

I love how the title screen always pops up A. When a character says the word, and B. Really loud and obnoxiously interrupting the scene. It reminds me of comic books featuring the big fancy-lettered character name logo in a speech balloon sometimes on the opening splash page.

I've been bursting in laughter every time it happens. I'm still not done, but Invincible has been pretty good so far.

Another animation I saw these days was Yasuke. It has its issues, the music is so drat good, gorgeous backgrounds, but I think being having so few episodes made it feel all rushed and it's like there's a lot of missing scenes and lore that makes the last two episodes a bit confusing. The creator claims they are gonna make more seasons, and if they do I hope they polish the scripts more. (At least I got to enjoy seeing a giant russian werebear woman in it)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

crankybastard posted:

Cheap

But I'm digging the unexpected gore.

rzal posted:

It is made by the walking dead guy so comedy was never an option.
The style is called we didn't have a very big budget or very much time to animate this.

I'm confused. Are you all talking about the character designs? Because that's straight out of the comic book.

The animation? I've seen worse animation, although if you look for the comic book panels you'll find a lot of "I didn't have a lot of time to draw" ones. Hope they "animate" that famous joke panels.

BUT there's an animation error that made be laugh that happened in the middle of a emotional scene in the last episodes Invincible's tears magically vanishing from one scene to the other and then returning

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Deadite posted:

I think the character design is fine, it's the animation itself that is offputting to me. Like the frame rate is lower than it should be or something. I think in animation it's called inbetweening that makes motion look more fluid and this show seems like it's missing that.

Ok, ok, I think I know what you mean. My brain probably ignored that because I was more excited about seeing Invincible animated.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hey but you not what, at least Invincible wasnt "animated" like The Way of the House Husband.

For the curious goon that hates anime that show is literally a power point presentation. I couldnt watch beyond the first episode.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

I tried watching it too because I'm about to go on paternity leave and thought it was a neat concept, also gave up after one episode. After that I watched Akira on Hulu, which is a million years old and still awesome.

It seems the manga is pretty good, I am just dissappointed that there was zero effort put on a comedy animation with a neat fun concept.

At least there's Castlevania and Beastars coming up this year.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

I'm not gonna tell anyone they're wrong for Not Liking Thing but complaining about the lack of animation in something as dry and short-form as Way of the Househusband seems a bit weird. It didn't even occur to me that anyone would mind, because the show is so drat good anyway

I was expecting something else aside from extremely quick obnoxious transitions from one still pretty image to another and barely moving text and mouths. I like my animations with at least a bit of effort. I dunno.

I mean, the story looks fine, it seems that it's quite funny and I've heard good stuff about the source material. I'm not saying everything sucks rear end and no one should watch it ever again, but that animation style wasn't for me.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I'm on the fence about watching it. Care to share what you didn't like?

I think some people are not liking the characters looking like rambo, grumpy, smarty little kid, ,etc. I havent seen their clone wars episodes but from the comments from other fans the characters got amazingly fleshed out.

Also this is a kiddies cartoon so never expect anything too deep.

In my case I liked it, I'm instantly adoring Echo (poor guy), and by the look of the second episode this is gonna be about space dads rising their child and i'm all for it.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 7, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Retrowave Joe posted:

I watched the first episode of Jupiterís Legacy. Seemed like nothing more than a retread of a lot of ďadultĒ superhero tropes, with The Boys-level gore and special effects somewhere between the CW and the MCU. Pass.

The what I guess was a rubber suit of the bad guy had me in stitches.

I'm on the second episode, I dunno about the comic book, but the show seems to be more about the family drama of being a superhero but without edginess, wackiness or people going punch punch at all times, and the gore is less than The Boys. Waaay less. Most of the time the characters are not wearing their hero suits. I have no clue if there's gonna be more action scenes sometime.

Edit 2: There two action scenes but in episode 1. On episode 2 it has turned to drama, and flashbacks of Utopian's past.

Gonna try to see watching and I dunno. Let's see if it surprises me.

Edit. Doom Patrol is rad

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 7, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Episode 3 of Jupiter's Legacy: SO SLOW.

It's going too slow. Oh my god. I'm gonna give up for now.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

mystes posted:

The pacing is absolutely terrible. It feels like the entire 8 episode season should have just been the first episode.

Also, in case you're wondering if the stupid part set in the past ever becomes the slightest bit interesting or tells you anything you don't already know or would immediately assume, the answer is no and I guess it actually gets less interesting as it goes on and feels like it's just killing time until the characters get their powers (honestly that isn't even really a spoiler but spoilered just in case) which is unfortunate because it just keeps going on and wasting an insane amount of the show's runtime.

Goddammit. I was indeed expecting the past part to go to interesting places.This is so dull.

Superman & Lois is doing the family/superhero drama much MUCH better.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I looked up a review to see if it was worth watching and apparently the entire season is adapting just 2 issues of the comic.

Who had this bright idea? That doesn't sound like having enough material for a season.

Oh dear, I feel for the people who worked on this and probably thought they would be in the next The Boys/Watchmen.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

wait...there's people who dont know there's a new season of The Boys coming (and Doom Patrol)?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I just looked this up and isn't this the exact same premise as that old Jimmy Stewart film? lol

It sounds like the kind of garbage I'd enjoy so I might take you up on this.

By the little research I did It's based on a book that is "totally-not-the-same-I-swear"*.

* It's not even the short story the Rear Window is based on

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I have a question, The Gifted was just added to Disney+ LatAm. Is it worth the watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Thanks everyone about The Gifted. Might give it a try to season 1.

Sirotan posted:

Hell, they introduce a character whose mutant power is turning into a loving dragon who they then immediately kill off screen having never shown us the loving dragon because I assume the CGI cost too much.