Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

I watched El Camino last night and really dug it. It may not be a sequel that was strictly necessary, but it's still better than 99% of the Netflix movies I've sat through. Also, slight spoilers, but I didn't realize Robert Forster was going to be in it. Was a bit bittersweet, but definitely nice to see him in a great role. Liked Scott MacArthur's character too, after this and Righteous Gemstones I look forward to seeing his name pop up in other stuff.

It was bugging me while I was watching El Camino because I recognized Scott MacArthur from somewhere and it finally hit me that he was Kaitlin Olson's dirtbag boyfriend on The Mick. That's some good range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The Witcher was fun but the whole season felt like prologue to me. Hopefully the second season will slow down a bit, get into some of the nitty gritty of monster hunting and build some characters and locales further so I feel... something when events happen that the score indicates are important.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Watching this Dracula show on Netflix. Finished episode 2 last night and... lmao OK. We're doing this?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

david_a posted:

Someone for the love of god spoil the stupid stuff in Dracula so people don’t watch it out of curiosity

Haven't seen episode 3 yet to be able to tell anyone whether it's worth it!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

Watching this Dracula show on Netflix. Finished episode 2 last night and... lmao OK. We're doing this?

david_a posted:

Someone for the love of god spoil the stupid stuff in Dracula so people don’t watch it out of curiosity

pumped up for school posted:

It really isn't.

I thought ep 1 was turn the brain off fun. It is a Dracula story, I'm not expecting much.

Ep 2 was ok, focusing on the Demeter voyage that was just a footnote in the book was kind of different.

I actually liked his character for most of ep1 and parts of 2. They didn't try and make him dark, broody, sexy, sympathetic. I liked that he was an unapologetic bad guy.

Ep3 was just really, really bad. I don't think it even needs specific spoilers for story notes. It was just bad.

Just updating you all on Episode 3 of Dracula on Netflix and BBC:

It sucks! Don't watch! No bags of popped corn.

Last scene of episode 2 spoiler: Dracula is a period piece that takes place in the late 1800s. Dracula is trying to get to England for two episodes, he's in a shipwreck caused by a valiant suicidal attempt to kill Dracula by Van Helsing but is able to crawl into his coffin at the bottom of the ocean to recover his strength and complete his journey. He wakes up, swims to England, and is immediately greeted by.... Van Helsing! In modern clothes! with a helicopter flying overhead and a tactical team with guns aimed at him. Dracula was sleeping for 123 years and is now in modern Britain.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 16, 2020

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

clean ayers act posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cA7kwBSUaU
I will watch almost anything Rome related, heres hoping this doesnt suck

Both big budget series I've watched from German Netflix have completely blown me away, high hopes for this.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

martinlutherbling posted:

I’m assuming Dark is one of them, and it is a masterpiece. What’s the other one?

Yes, Dark is one. And the other one I was thinking of was Babylon Berlin - which is great but isn't actually made by Netflix Germany, it's just carried by Netflix in the US. My mistake!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

https://twitter.com/disney/status/1337152322653351936?s=21

This plus the WB announcement definitely does not bode well for cinema chains.

too much star war

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

withak posted:

No fuckin way am I watching “phase 4 of the MCU.”

Keep the thread updated with all the poo poo you're not gonna watch.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Don't make the same mistake I did and watch Outside the Wire on Netflix. The movie tries to do too much and chickens out at the end!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

"The little things" is a worthless terrible movie about a bunch of loving idiots chasing a loving idiot

I didn't heed this warning and watched "The Little Things"

Do not make this mistake.

What an utterly pointless movie that made me feel next to nothing after the first 5 minutes.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Just watched Tenet on HBO Max while slightly buzzed and nursing a second shot hangover. Definitely need to watch this movie about 3 more times in progressively drunker states to fully investigate this one.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jolo posted:

Do a watch from within a tent, and then next time start the movie exactly at ten.

Jolo posted:

gently caress it, then the third time you watch E.T. instead.

This makes absolute sense to me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Simone Magus posted:

I saw it in the theater (I was literally the only customer in the entire building) and enjoyed it a lot, trying to rewatch it on Max and i just got really bored

I think Nolan was actually right, it's a movie that only works particularly well in a theater. On a small screen you realize it's just a generic military shooter video game with a few extremely tepid "oh, that's neat" twists

The final action sequence looks like a confusing paintball game, it's quite poor and I'm surprised Nolan directed it.

The movie as a whole feels like one of those 900 page sci-fi epics from Neal Stephenson where he's gonna try to gradually open your mind wider and wider, introducing and layering concepts upon one another, but compressed into 2 hour and 30 minutes. I'm not sure it works in that respect.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

I still desperately want a big budget adaptation of his novel Seveneves.

I also think The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. would work great as an HBO series. It has everything. International espionage. Time Travel. Witches. Government conspiracies. Why hasn't that been optioned yet?

meanolmrcloud posted:

Something of his has got to be optioned sooner or later. Everyone’s clamoring for snow crash, but seveneves would make a good movie while Fall, the baroque cycle and especially anathem would make great serialized shows. Cryptonomicon would also be a fun 90’s period piece.

Last I heard was Seveneves was optioned back in 2016 but who knows what's going to happen with it, it'd have to be a huge passion project that attracts a bankable star or director in order to receive anywhere close to the budget it needs to work.

Anathem would be a drat wild show to see greenlit, quite possibly impossible to pitch to a modern production company.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The White Spikes in the Tomorrow War are not a credible threat at all. Animal intelligence that is easily baited by the scent of blood. Literally just use a tank bro.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I was talking to a guy at work who saw Dune in theaters and then watched it again at home with subtitles. He loved it after his second viewing but during his first viewing he didn't quite grasp that this story was taking place on several different planets, he was under the impression that these were different biomes on the same world.

My girlfriend also loved it, but I was there exclaiming poo poo like "oh drat, the mentats eyes roll back when they're making large calculations, see there's no "thinking" computers in Dune due to being banned after an ancient war between Humans and AI"

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sirotan posted:

I pretty much checked out of the thread at that point because it was already so overwhelmingly negative and being incredibly lovely about Daniella Pineda not being "fit" enough to play Faye so idk if it went beyond this.

Well you see the middling reviews of the show by critics is clearly a conspiracy by (((those people))) controlling the media to ensure they get another season....

This is a wild mischaracterization of that thread which is like one poster was upset about Faye and Jet and being made fun of mercilessly for that take, one poster going straight to nuclear antisemitism takes like they were the ADL tweeting at a college student, and the rest very level-headed takes for the most part.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Watch The Power of the Dog on Netflix if you're in the mood to feel tense for two hours and be slightly disappointed that the New Zealand landscape isn't as beautiful as the 1920s Montana landscape where the movie takes place.

I think the movie is good to be clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I thought maybe a was being a little harsh on Cowboy Bebop after not really enjoing the first ep. Saw some people saying on here to stick with it, turned on Episode 2 and immediately turned it off after seeing the first dutch angle shot and remembering just how unpleasant looking the whole show is top to bottom.