Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Franchescanado posted:

Would anyone (or a couple of people) mind posting a list of original programming for Hulu and Prime shows & movies that are objectively good or have been discussed so much they are relevant (even if the consensus is polarizing)?

I need to update the OP lists.

Prime Original movies:
The Big Sick
Manchester By The Sea
Paterson
The Handmaiden
Neon Demon

Cold War is also coming to Prime soon. I still haven't seen The Salesman. They could be eliminated from the list, but I think they're worth a try. Neon Demon and The Handmaiden probably generated the most discussion out of all of those movies in the last thread, but I think that they are all legitimately great in their own ways. Paterson is probably my favorite, just because Jim Jarmusch.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Enos Cabell posted:

The Sturgill Simpson anime on Netflix is no Interstella 5555, but I dug it.

The dedication in the end after 35-45 mins of glorified anime violence seems off kilter to me, but I probably missed something. :shrug:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Watched The Lives of Others on US Netflix last night, and I'm going to think about this movie for a long time. Watch it, yall!

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
They're both so great and so hosed up. Can Ari Aster make a movie every year?

edit: Can we get some recs with great smash cuts up in here?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
The cinematography is loving awesome in Midsommar. That alone is worth a watch.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, El Camino is straight up a Western and it's best enjoyed that way. Aaron Paul's performance was pretty good too.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
There’s so many great things about The Wire. It’s an essential show in that it feels drat near timeless if you get past the dated technology. It still got a lot to say about the times we’re in.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want an emotional gut punch movie that will thoroughly distract you from virus virus virus, 1997's The Sweet Hereafter is on Prime Video. Possibly the best Canadian movie ever!

+1 to this movie. One of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Nope. It’s the other way around.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Perpetual Grace, LTD is like what if Napoleon Dynamite and Breaking Bad had a baby, and the baby was raised in a shack where it was only allowed to watch Jim Jarmusch movies.

:vince:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
The objectively best movie on Disney Plus is The Straight Story, David Lynch at his most conventional and slowest. It got nominated for the Palme d’Or in 1999!

fakeedit: my favorite thing about this movie’s wikipedia page is David Lynch called it his most experimental film ever, which is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, Midnight Gospel’s pilot episode isn’t great. The finale is pretty great, though, but if you don’t like rambling stuff then this show is just going to feel like a waste of your time.