Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I was slightly annoyed at the chatty old people behind me during Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but it was redeemed when right after the flamethrower comes out I hear one of them earnestly ask "Oh, but that's not how that really happened?...Right?"

Also, yeah, I would like to like Peacock, but it just seems barren. Like, almost Tubi levels of iffy interface and very little that I'd really want to watch. Psych's the only standout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I was happy to see Bosch kind of right the ship a little with Season 6. I thought 5 was drifting into rougher waters but it seems like a relatively small dip now.

Mentioning Bosch as by Dads for Dads, made think of Scott & Bailey, which is basically the by Moms for Moms version. It's on Amazon and apparently Hulu, and it's by the writer who went on to make Happy Valley if that helps. I really liked it and it was a good show to watch and chat about with my mom and one of my sisters. It's a decent British police procedural with a similar kind of energy to Bosch except it's two women as the leads who are living destroyed lives in a way that isn't romanticized. Although it's quaint that one of the officers illegally pulling license plate records to investigate her boyfriend is treated as a sword of Damocles.

Like Bosch, I think it's neat that it's more of a grind show with a lot of meetings and careful work to piece the case together. I also didn't realize this, but it's very interesting to see a show mix up the cases. There are some standard procedural mysteries with a lot of twists and turns and some that run a few episodes or even come back around, but they also slot in some pretty straightforward ones and occasionally do some fun subversions.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Guns Akimbo is loving terrible.

It just couldn't decide how stupid it wanted to be, so it's tonally a mess. There was a good movie hiding somewhere and boy do they never find it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

That seems like cheating, though. How is this different than the book "A Million Little Pieces", which was marketed as a memoir but turned out to be heavily fictionalized? I'm sure people felt let down by that, since there's something engaging about true stories.

I'm not sure I've ever watched Fargo, so this is a genuine question. In a similar vein, I've been disappointed when I watch a movie about a real person, get interested in a particular event in their life, and then find out it was made up in the movie, like the train scene in "Darkest Hour".

It's also the difference in intent. The original excuse for Fargo, or at least one that I think they've given a few times, is that they didn't want people obsessing over whether it was realistic or not, so they slapped it on so people would just watch the movie without second guessing everything. Something like A Million Little Pieces was a relatively stupid and pointless story that was only interesting because it was supposed to be real.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

lmao sounds like a total trainwreck

I'd say they flew too close to the sun but it's more like they too far away and drowned in the waters below.

The best tweet was "I don't understand why French people don't like my movie about their beloved icon Joan of Arc, a warrior who rose to greatness because she was the only woman blessed with a soul." The chi stuff is incredibly embarrassing, especially since it didn't even need to be in the movie in the first place.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I liked #Alive too. The ramen commercial still running got a good laugh from me.

Also The scene where the cop finally gets over powered and the little group stops attacking so that they can drag her over to the main horde was a little shock too. It was a good mix of scary rage zombies and smart zombies.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
From what I remember from The Dollop episode on it, they usually managed to pull back or just get really lucky when they came up to the edge of causing a lot of actual deaths. But there were supposed to be stories of the local ER just being full of park guests wandering the halls, a lot of them drunk, with bad abrasions, sprangs, dislocations and fractures on every weekend while it was open.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Superrodan posted:

I see Search Party is on HBO Max. I haven't heard much about it, but reviews seem good. Is it worth watching? I can't tell exactly what kind of show it is from the description.

I've only seen the first season, but it was pretty good and I keep meaning to watch the rest. I heard it stayed consistently decent. It's a comedy mystery thing, basically another "What if a (blank) character ended up in a mystery/Noir story." It's a group of 4 millennials getting wrapped up in a missing persons case with a few side stories and bits.

For an example, one early joke is quiet headshaking over the missing girl's college Acappella group singing "Since You've Been Gone" at her vigil. Although there are some tense and serious bits too. It's not really like American Vandal, but that might be the closest comparison.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Deadite posted:

I think I had it in my mind that the branding was something much worse than the reality. Like I thought they were held down and branded against their will. The reality was just so mundane I guess.

Mark definitely is creepy, as is his need to record literally everything. Although that does make for a good documentary when you can hear the actual phone calls and such.

Having not watched it (No HBO), is it possible the documentary is just covering it weird. I definitely heard some worse stories back when it was in the news, including a pretty bad version of the branding where the women were basically forced into seeing it through because they handed over blackmail material before committing (and relevant leaders lied to them and made them think it was just a cool little tattoo thing and not a literal master's brand).

Some reporter had a crazy story where they ended up at an NXIUM camp thing after they were invited to check it out without knowing what it was beyond the front. They seemed to do intentionally starve them of protein for a few days under the guise of a cool diet and they seemed to have a cell phone jammer up. His story included him slipping out in the morning, briskly walking to the train station until he suddenly had a cell phone signal, at which point he was flooded with texts from friends telling him it was cult recruitment and that he should probably run to the train.

So...there's probably some stuff there, even if it's not much more than a few hours worth.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it's going to be interesting seeing how much of him is Borat. The only thing that I know leaked for sure was the big prank at the Oathkeepers rally, but neither of his characters were Borat. So unless that was for another separate show he was doing, Borat may just be a framing device.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Mr. Mercedes is also now apparently on Peacock. I think I remember some goons really liking it and lamenting that it was trapped on a real life WhatTimeIsItRightNow.com. Is it decent?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Stealing from the replies, but they're probably going full The Staircase. Just roll around in courtroom footage and minutiae and you can make a really long-rear end documentary that no one will want to watch. It sucks to hear that they went this dumb route with it. I followed the NXIVM stuff when it was happening and it was interesting and unnerving, but there's only a few hours at most worth covering and even that would mostly be reflective of how a seemingly bland executive "enrichment" thing could lead so easily to an outright cult.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
When that first aired, it was extra cool since FX agreed to do limited commercial interruptions (or couldn't find advertisers for the block) so there was room to also do an extended trailer for Sorry to Bother You.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is there anything in the 1/2 hour length worth watching? We just had a newborn and committing to hour long serialized stuff is tricky. We’ve gotten thru avatar, and have already done bojack and probably want to stay away from most anime.

If you've got Peacock at hand, then A.P. Bio's not bad for a sitcom. It's like a less mean version of It's Always Sunny and has some sweet moments to tie it together. I liked it at least. I still need to watch the 3rd season though.

For Hamilton, I'd say the main reason was that there was a huge amount of hype in certain corners of the Internet and even certain corners of the world (I saw more than special on the news gushing over it). So the mediocre, inoffensive rap musical got treated as a masterpiece and people just wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Hamilton or Lin-Manuel Miranda. So, it's more anti-hype than hate.

Someone also described it as purestrain theater kid energy which seems to match the parts that I've seen of it. So, yeah, if you like musicals and don't mind that kind of energy then it's probably fine. I don't even really like good musicals so it's hard to say.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Sirotan posted:

drat I'm gonna have to check this out. Some of the reasons contestants tapped out is hilarious: "was not mentally prepared" (lasted 2 days), lost fire starter on day 10, lonely (on a show called Alone, lasted 28 days)

It's pretty good, even if as noted, the first few seasons turn into an endurance contest for who can starve slower. Which is technically a test of who did a better job of preparing for winter, but it's not necessarily great to watch. In fairness, I don't think the show expected it and they tried to tweak the rules a little.

It's fascinating to see the mix of people who last though. Hardened survivalists will crack and tap out while some happy-go-lucky camper will hang on for awhile. My favorite was one guy who was just some anti-fun rear end in a top hat. He spent his whole time complaining about how everyone wasted energy early in the contest, so he wasn't going to whittle, or look at nature or do anything that wasn't 100% efficient. He went stir-crazy so fast and tapped out.

Also some interesting and occasionally horrifying footage of people hurting themselves bad. I think it was season 3 that had a dude fading in and out of hypothermia on camera before he came to enough to call for help.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

nate fisher posted:

Color Out of Space was close, but it was a missed opportunity to me (I do give it credit for going full tilt Lovecraft). Also I didn't like Cage in the movie. He just felt off from the start to me and while I am in the minority here I felt like he was mis-casted. Overall I was disappointed coming off that Mandy high.

Funny since I just watched it and felt the same and felt a little crazy for not loving it. Cage just didn't quite fit for me and I was getting outright bored in the middle. The last 20-30 minutes saved it for me though, great to see it just go for it.

I'm curious if you read the original story, since I think that was the problem for me. I liked the story and a big part of the creepiness in it is that it's happening to some random, innocent family that's living a quiet life and that are really ill-equipped conceptually to deal with it. Having them be quirky and conflicted right off the bat took me out of it a little. But that might just be because I knew the story going in.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

Every family has weird quirks and conflicts though? That's not a stretch by any means.

I mean, it opens on a teen witch doing Wicca stuff at the creek to cure her mom's cancer. Plus Cage starts out a little too off, with his whole "alpacas are the future" thing. It's a little out there, and really, really out there compared to the story. That's why it stood out to me. I guess it just ended up feeling a little uneven to me, although I guess that that's also the problem with trying to adapt a short story.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 1, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

teagone posted:

Listening to movies is a thing people do?

Lmao.

I sort of still like the Flophouse podcast still, but some of their movie talk is really bogged down by one of the hosts only being able to watch movies over a series of nights on an iPad as he washes dishes. Shockingly he misses things.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
One great little moment in Nathan for You was an interview with a pretty good Kramer/Michael Richards impersonator trying to still make it work.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Dredd and Karl Urban is fantastic in just about everything, but I don’t think you can do any kind of Dredd continuation now without making the fascist aspect way more blatant and obvious than any studio is going to be comfortable with.

I think the best you can hope for in that MegaCity One tv show they’re making is something like what we already got, with Dredd being upheld as a Good Cop and coming into conflict with other corrupt cops.

At some point you also run into the issue of not making it an absolute slog to watch too, even on top of a studio getting cold feet at pointing out cop problems. 90-120 minutes of over the top fascism would be pretty brutal and I'd be afraid that you'd end up with an interesting movie that only film nerds cared about.

I think the movie did a decent job by highlighting the relative indifference of it all though. And there were some light attempts to draw parallels between Dredd/the Judges and Ma-Ma. I'd have to rewatch it to remember them all, but the speeches mirror one another and there's "something" to how her slo-mo death ends with the blood making the Dredd "X" over her face to match his helmet. There's tons of collateral damage and it's pretty clear that Dredd's only goal is busting the drug ring regardless of how many people get killed. It ties well into how it's just a day in the job. Nothing changes and the system rolls on.

They probably could have used a little more of the outright satire though. The cleaning truck nonchalantly mopping up the blood in the food court as the temporary closing announcement was read out did a pretty good job of setting up the universe.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Deadite posted:

Speaking of Starz shows, did anyone watch Black Sails? How can a show about pirates be so boring

I liked Black Sails, or at least the first 3 season, I need to finish it at some point. It's hard though because you have to go in with the warning that the first 4-ish episodes are slow and that the fun, cooler pirates will have a bigger role later. Also that they have money for about 2 battles a season and that's going to determine the pacing.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Deadite posted:

The whole series felt like the creators didn’t know anything about pirates. Like, for a show about pirates the actual pirates spend very little time capturing other ships. Every scene was just an exposition dump about who is plotting against who or what so-and-so’s plans are, rather than actually showing the viewer what is going on. And the directors had a weird habit of intercutting battle scenes with scenes of people talking in flashbacks which just brought all the tension to a halt.

Also all of the characters sound like they just graduated from Eton and decided to be pirates. They’re the poshest pirates in history.

Well, that's part of the problem where "It's technically a prequel to Treasure Island" pops up. Everybody wants it to be all about one big treasure, not the hustle.

Speaking of, was the Netflix Lost Pirate Kingdom thing any good? I was hoping that it'd be alright, but I don't have high hopes for Netflix Originals. I'm behind on pretty much everything so it's low on my list.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I watched Limitless on HBO. Whoever wrote it is obviously an immense douche. The absolutely douchiest ending of a story in a while.

The movie goes out of its way to make sure there isn't any consequences for its frankly rear end in a top hat protagonist, in a way, that feels like a middle aged coke sniffing rear end in a top hat writer power fantasy.

I kind of liked that it was just straight sci-fi and didn't end with a "You know, maybe being Limited isn't so bad. Love and human connection is the real power." Still a so-so at best movie though.

Strangely enough, the surprisingly okay TV series was pretty comfortable with portraying Cooper's character as scary and amoral at best. He's only "good" because the other people are worse. The otherwise terrible pilot that kneecapped the show also made fun of the "I know Kung Fu" scene in the movie, which was a little funny.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 6, 2021

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

Its been a while but The Wailing is still excellent

I had a strange moment after watching it, when I realized that it had been a really long time since I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how a movie ended. If you're picking up what it's putting down, it's great at just drawing you in.

Also apparently on streaming pretty much everywhere at the moment.

Since I think I saw it mentioned here, I finished watching The Empty Man and that's a weird movie. It's like 20 minutes of decent movie, followed by 60 minutes of Slender Man ripoff trash followed by 60 minutes of kind of okay cosmic horror. I really wish they would have trimmed it down and just leaned in on the weird stuff. It's hard to recommend as is.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

VHYES on Hulu was weird. It's a movie shot entirely on VHS and Betamax about a kid who records bizarre late night TV (parodies of real shows from 1989 such as Bob Ross, Antiques Roadshow, etc.) over his parents' wedding tape. It has a sudden genre shift towards I did not expect at all, which made it more impactful than it had any right to be. Thomas Lennon is in this along with a bunch of actors you'll recognize. It's real good, but probably not for everyone.

I remembered this shoutout and checked VHYES out. I liked it. It's really weird and interesting. I thought most of the sketches were funny but I like weird, absurd bullshit. It drifts around from regular parodies to just bizarre and surreal stuff with a little metaplot. I don't want to spoil too much but the ending is definitely a shift. I'd agree that it pays off though. If you've ever seen some of the Infomercial series on Adult Swim, this is basically what would happen if the best ones had a little more of a budget and a movie-length time slot to go nuts.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

It's also worth noting....on the topic of TV/movie revenues....it's much easier to merchandise on content suitable for kids. GoT doesn't really have that space.

This blessed soul doesn't know about Funko Pops. Please leave their innocence intact.

Also to be a nerd, there was a lot of Game of Thrones merch from a few companies (statues, bookends, collector's figures, etc.). There's a steady drift with merch and toys becoming a teen/young adult thing anyway. For awhile it was a decent, steady little money maker. And yeah, merch loving died hard for it as the last seasons pissed it all away. It's silly to point out that it made money. Lots of things make good money to the point that it's a huge thing when a film honest to god loses money. Making money is more about presence, advertising and momentum. It's more useful or interesting to see if people still give a poo poo once its past.

That said...yeah the big thing to check for is going to be the drop off with whatever new property actually makes it across the finish line. It's not really "dead" it's just probably got less room to gently caress around with. Same thing that happened with Star Wars.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Seriously, loving lol at merchandising saturation as any kind of metric on a shows quality. I haven't seen a single Mad Men lunch box in person ever, that show must suck balls.

GoT was the hugest thing on the planet for years, and then it had a lovely ending. The lesson isn't don't make shows like GoT (which is what started this whole derail in the first place), it's don't gently caress up the ending.

I mean, somebody decided to insist that having a lovely ending didn't really hurt GoT's brand, so here we are.

And again, multiple people itt lived a nice life if they're blind to Funko Pops (including a decent Mad Men line) and the sheer number of annoying people who tried to bring Mad Men fashion back. Merch is a fun way of looking at impact :shrug:.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I don't think that I've ever seen a Funko Pop in person.

So...you just go to the grocery store and back? They're pretty much everywhere. Wal-mart, Target, craft stores, drug stores, kiosks at malls, nerdy places, non-nerdy places.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

man. I added a prime subscription cause it looked like they had detroiters but now they want me to get paramount+ on top of that

Yeah, you gotta check Justwatch. I thankfully already had an Amazon Prime subscription so it was just a wasted few minutes of searching, but Google was showing it on Prime too.

Bummer for me since I've got way too much of a backlog to justify getting Paramount+ but Detroiters sounds good.

Also +1 for Reservation Dogs. Just a weird, darkly funny, kind of grim/downer show that I'm liking so far.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

AccountSupervisor posted:

I just watched it based off that post and I will agree that it very much ruled. I was completely engrossed.

I got the feeling even trying to make sense of how his manifestation and his presence in the real world mechanically works is fruitless based on the concepts in the film discussed around what is real in the mind is projected or manifested and all the other "what even is reality?" ideas. It seems like whenever I start podering about well what about the cops, the suicides and his entire investigation, I just fall into a loop of realizing well it was all real to him so why does it matter? Everything we see besides the opening is entirely a construct and anything involving what might be real, our only context for it comes from whatever they created for him to live through. It's a very impressive way of writing around a lot of cliches with the "he was dreaming all along!" type twist. The dream is his reality and reality is his nightmare.

Movie absolutely kicks rear end.

I didn't care for it as much given how much it fucks around in the first act, but that angle was good. I posted about it earlier.

Since they say that he didn't materialize until he went to the restaurant, I took that to mean that the security store wasn't real. I don't think it was intentional but it also answered my question of "why would he stock the lovely mace if it's his own store?" Showing that his "home" was just some random empty house and that his mistress didn't know him implied that everything else was in his head to some degree

If you liked The Empty Man you might like Kill List. I thought it scratched a similar itch. I got it on DVD but apparently it's on AMC+ and DirectTV at the moment for some reason. Two hitmen get a list of people to kill and get dragged into creepy cult stuff. Not a masterpiece, but a decent, slow, creepy movie.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

The Painter and the Thief on Hulu really hit me just right. I'll be thinking about it for awhile.

It's a documentary about a painter who has two of her paintings stolen. She decides to get to know one of the thieves. Partly to learn his motivation, partly to find out what happened to her paintings. Partly something else that reveals itself slowly but is the real theme of the doc.

It's the best documentary I've seen since Exit Through the Gift Shop.

I'm going off of your summary, but if you haven't watched it you might want to check out Shrikers on Netflix. It's a few years old now but I haven't heard it talked about too much.

It follows the story of a woman who attempted to direct a cheesy, art student as gently caress film in Singapore about 30 years ago. It was never released because the footage disappeared right after it was finished. The footage turns back up after 20 years and the documentary is a whole journey covering the making of the film, the students behind it and how it affected their lives and the man who took the footage. I liked it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
^People were always more mad about what she represented than what she actually said. But yeah, the most bizarre part of gamergate was her bland feminism 101 videos causing so much drama.

For the reviews, some of them were kind of funny and there's a lingering thing where she's always been weirdly prudish so it's funny to see it crop up in so many reviews. And if you were around at the time there was a run of some people treating her as a serious, informed critic. There's a reason that some people cared that her account criticized Mad Max: Fury Road. So a slight catharsis. But yeah, also fish in a barrel.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
From what people said at the time, the issue is that those were the digital mockups that they used to plan/storyboard. And somebody said, "Yeah, they look good enough." Because yeah, some cel-shaded frames or touchups would have probably made that a weird but alright moment during Covid delays.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
TNG is mostly fine or good, but the bad episodes really suck and stick out.

A MIRACLE posted:

Also, idk if it’s cause I always try to watch it hungover but I’ve never made it through more than a few episodes of disenchanted without falling asleep. I’ve still “watched” every episode

It's a weirdly low-key show. I still feel like I like it, but there just aren't too many big laughs to break it up and I'm struggling to remember much except for a few big plot points. Just one of those fine background shows. Futurama's back on reruns on Adult Swim and I've kind of enjoyed the nostalgia trip. I feel like it still mostly holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Joe Pera Talks With You is beautiful in a way that few other shows have even attempted.

Sometimes I feel a little weird talking about Joe Pera because it almost makes me feel, vulnerable I guess, with the way it addresses certain topics. Nobody else has really nailed that feeling of not being sure of what to order at a restaurant :).

The standout from the first season that most people mention is the Baba O'Reilly episode, and it's great, but I really liked an observation from an AV Club review about the Fall Drive episode. That there was something really nice about an episode depicting someone just going out for a fun trip by themselves that's important to them. I feel like a lot of modern shows would have made it a cynical joke about him being lonely, but instead you get to see him go look at a waterfall, enjoy the changing leaves and make a warm (not hot) apple. There's just not a lot of TV that scratches that itch.

If anyone missed it and wants more Joe Pera, he did some collaborations recently with the Townsends Youtube channel. You can watch him help make an old chair, bake a pie and read a few old journal entries. https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson/videos

And Joe made a sadly still relevant video to relax during Covid. He talks over old unused footage and stock footage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-P2aN3-b4