Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Cruella is a lot of fun, but would be way better if it was the same movie but not about Cruella de Vil. The second hour also drags a bit. But it's The Devil Wears Prada on crack, and I mean that as a compliment. It does enough of its own thing well enough to not bother me, not unlike Maleficent.

At this rate, I wouldn't even complain if Disney just gave all of their villains the Wicked treatment. So far their success rate is streets ahead of the straight live action remakes. If they can pull it off with imo arguably the two most irredeemable villains on the roster, the rest should be ezpz. At least these movies do something different.

Jolo posted:

Nina West would kill it as Ursula. She co hosted a Drag Queen Christmas show I went to a while back with Monet XChange and she was excellent.

Ginger Minj is my pick, she got dem pipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, most of the long lasting appeal of Sailor Moon comes from the added stuff in the OG anime. Crystal is a faithful adaptation of a manga with little character development beyond Usagi herself, while the OG anime gives the rest of the cast a lot of room to breathe and grow.

Plus Ikuhara's run directing is just good TV.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

There is also the mythical lost pilot of an American version of Sailor Moon that was some kind of mix of animated and live action.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've definitely aged out of Sailor Moon but it's harmless, good at what it does, and super fuckin' gay at a time when local American media would never have dared.

And it's a gateway to Utena, the superior Ikuhara show.

Fun fact: the basic foundation for Utena is taken from a Uranus and Neptune movie Ikuhara was planning to do before he left Sailor Moon. The pegasus Utena and Anthy fly on in the opening credits is a reference to that original treatment.