Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fun Times! posted:

Breaking Bad movie October 11 on Netflix, it's about Jesse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZKqMVPlDg8
On the one hand, I donít think we need this, on the other, yes I will watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus Christ. Why is this comic so praised?
Itís not a comic, itís a book. I read it probably close to when it came out in 2006 and I wasnít thinking about a lot of that stuff back then. The appeal is that someone spent a lot of time seriously considering ďok, what would actually happen if a zombie outbreak occurred?Ē This was during the heyday of zombie popularity and built on his earlier book ďThe Zombie Survival Guide.Ē

I keep getting Max Brooks and Max Landis mixed up too; does Brooks have any other problematic aspects?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

He teaches at West Point, so at the very least he's adjacent to war crimes.
Well that explains the Israel fetish

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

He is Jewish.
I feel like being involved in the military industrial complex makes you much more likely to support what Israel does than simply being Jewish

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timeless Appeal posted:

Big Discovery spoiler, it eventually goes REALLY forward in time, and that's what the third season is going to be about.
Now I really want to watch Discovery

What is it that people donít like about it? Are characters not as impossibly goody two-
shoes as in the old shows?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Still have a few episodes left but Glow S3 isnít a comedy. This is a drama with comedic elements.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Finished GLOW S3 and yeah this season wasnít a comedy. Maybe Iím totally misremembering the drama/comedy split in earlier seasons but it felt like this one swung hard over to nearly straight drama. Most of the characters are dealing with Big Issues and while some of them sorta get resolved thereís still some more Big Issues to deal with in S4. I think only maybe three episodes had any wrestling? I still care about the characters I guess so Iíll watch S4 but it seems like a bit of a tonal shift. I honestly wonder about the demographics of who watches this show and if maybe they moved the writing to match.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

New season of Peaky Blinders is out and it's good.
Seriously? I didnít bother with S4 because I heard it was pretty dire and I was kinda sick of it at that point. Does is actually improve again?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Yup, agree with the previous two posters. Itís well made but, to paraphrase James Cameron, itís not answering any questions I didnít know I had. Oh, and if you havenít seen the series you should absolutely not watch the movie because you will get nothing out of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Aw, Robert Forster died yesterday

Pretend I made a funny yet touching joke about vacuum cleaners

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

married but discreet posted:

I mean, is it even a zombie movie?

IMO, no

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wizardofloneliness posted:

But Dutch and Claudette are great
Yeah those two were the characters I missed the most when I got done with the show.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

From what I remember from my days of Star Wars fandom back in the pre-prequel days, wasnít Boba Fett just some dude that happened to use Mandalorian armor? IE thereís nothing about the armor that makes it a bounty hunter suit other than one prominent guy wearing it. But now Mandalorians are a race of bounty hunters? Also is this show what the canceled Boba Fett movie turned into?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know what to think about Netflix right now. I've had it almost consistently since back when it was a DVD service and this is the first time I've really wondered if it was worth it. Been thinking about subbing a la carte for the first time, since it seems like they maybe put out one thing I want to watch a month, and their non Netflix produced selection is getting dire.

I'm honestly not super thrilled with any streaming service atm. So much content and I can't seem to find anything I actually want to watch most of the time. If I was less lazy and impulsive I'd probably just juggle my subs instead of paying like 50 dollars a month for streaming services that I maybe watch for 20 hours a month.

Do it. Iíve been juggling streaming services for several years. They all make it very, very easy to cancel and renew whenever you want (well, thereís a billing period you pay for, but you know what I mean). Your watch lists will still be there assuming you donít wait too long (I think Netflix keeps it for a year or maybe 18 months?). I spend a few months with each service at a time (Netflix, Hulu, & HBO; gently caress Bezos).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mammal Sauce posted:

I need to re-watch these. I remember watching them as a kid and thinking they were bland and unfunny compared to WB cartoons.

I always thought the opposite; more specifically, that the WB ones were cruder and more lowbrow. Thatís probably partially explained by growing up in Sweden where Donald Duck is the state religion.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

gently caress you Amazon Prime. Me and my roommate just started Battlestar Gallactica (heís never seen it), we JUST finished S1 and watched the 1st ep of S2 and today we were going to watch the next one and now Primeís charging 3 bucks per episode.

gently caress you Amazon Prime.

I was rewatching it on Netflix a while back and they pulled it while I was in post-rescue S3 (talk about saving me from myself).

Back when they first pulled it from Netflix back in the day (I think it had been on there for quite a while to start with) they said they were withholding it from all streaming services for like 5 years to ďbuild up demand.Ē They might have started another cycle of that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I watched My Name is Dolemite yesterday and it was a lot of fun. Murphy is good, Snipes is good (those looks! The very end of his first scene was priceless), the supporting cast was good... I was also happy that there wasnít an ďovercoming racismĒ or ďwhite saviorĒ subplot; itís mainly a bunch of African Americans succeeding on their own merits.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Someone for the love of god spoil the stupid stuff in Dracula so people donít watch it out of curiosity

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

married but discreet posted:

I wonder what it is with Netflix movies by good directors almost always being way worse than real studio releases. Is it that Netflix are less selective with which scripts to fund, so directors like Saulnier or Bong Jon Hoo get to direct their B-list projects that normally wouldn't see the light of the day? The only genuinely good Netflix movie that isn't way worse than the director's usual output (that I've seen) is Beasts of No Nation.

I havenít seen any other movies by Craig Brewer but Dolemite Is My Name was good and didnít have the ďNetflix vibe.Ē

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wizardofloneliness posted:

Henry Cavill is a very good looking man.

If anything the makeup/contacts obscure it; some random videos with him have been floating up in YouTube and Iím like, this dude is preposterously handsome

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Somebody in this thread said that Witcher S1 felt like an extended prologue and I would agree with that. I guess Netflix is really betting on it for the long haul.

Stevie Lee posted:

I just finally got around to watching Dark and season 1 was dope as hell. I even convinced someone who dislikes reading subtitles to watch it and now they're hooked and wanting to start season 2 ASAP.

I'd say it's like a German stranger things, but that's selling it short because it's a much better show. 10/10 soundtrack too

Season 2 gets even more out there in ways I canít get into because itíll spoil too much. The, uh... scope expands, letís put it that way.

Based on the last scene, S3 will be even crazier and I really hope they stick to making it the final one because it will be almost unrecognizable from S1 at that point.

Hannah is my favorite character

david_a fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 22, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Witcher isnít amazing, yeah. Maybe itíll get there? Seems like theyíre taking the long view.

I was about to cancel Netflix again and move on to the next streaming service for a while, but then I see Better Call Saul S4, Narcos Mexico S2, and Locke & Key are dropping soon...

Iím watching Narcos Mexico right now and itís OK. Itís not as compelling as the first two seasons of Narcos because Pablo Escobar was the most outrageous and extravagant drug lord of all time (I kinda hope we never top that guy) but at least the Mexican setting is a bit novel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I think the narration in something like Narcos works because it would be awkward to have characters constantly explaining historical events and context to audience surrogates. But then again, I donít think it ever has narration over the dramatized parts, just the historical recaps that mostly use real footage.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Inspector Hound posted:

I never saw the last season of Game of Thrones, but I'm randomly seeing the third episode of the last season and it seems like a perfectly serviceable series finale, it could have come basically right after the last episode of the previous season and tied everything up. There's really more after this?

I mean, yes? Thereís all the living drama to take care of now that the dead drama is done. The resolution to all that stuff is even less satisfying. I thought a big issue towards the end was that the cast had gotten so thin with everyone getting killed off.

Having the Big Bad be completely mute was a gigantic mistake, although maybe it was a blessing considering his motivations were so boring. The Night King was ultimately completely uninteresting.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

1996's The Arrival was just added to Prime Video. Is it good? I remember liking it the last time I saw it but I believe that was 20 years ago.

Ah yes, the Gordon Freeman movie

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of, is it just me or was AC season 2 quite a bit weaker than the first one? Kovacs is basically least interesting part of the premise, but the season is so heavily focused on him that I found it hard to get invested. At least Poe saved it, as he usually does.
I think Iíve gone through 6 episodes so far and itís perhaps not as engaging as the first season. All the stuff with Quell feels a little like a 90s Saturday afternoon sci-fi show so far. Iím going to be disappointed if I donít get to see an Elder by the end of the season. Extraterrestrial life seems like an odd thing to throw into this universe based on the first season.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Huh for some reason I thought Altered Carbon S2 was 10 episodes and not 8

I seem to remember liking S1 more than S2. To follow on with what someone said earlier, this show would be better with less stuff in it. The world is crazy enough without throwing in a 300 year old love story, a never-ending rebellion, ancient aliens, etc... Some more low-stake stories in this setting while simultaneously digging a bit deeper into the implications of things like stacks or full AIs would have been better, I think.

Obviously they left the door open for S3 but I donít know how excited I am about that.

Specific to this season I thought it seemed really optimistic that the future wouldnít be completely covered in surveillance cameras with facial detection; like how are any of these people just walking around with minimal disguises

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is Sling Blade (Netflix) good? Or is it just a vanity piece for Billy Bob Thornton?

Also looking for reviews of The Quiet Earth on Shudder.

I also watched Sling Blade Kaiser Blade a few decades after it was released and it was much better than I expected it to be.

The Quiet Earth is fine. Thereís one great shot but I think they even ruin it with the preview still.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Chad Jihad posted:

Another season of Narcos came out in February???

Yeah but I wasnít feeling it by the end; too many seasons of scumbags rising and falling, ďGood GuysĒ handcuffed by the powers that be, and endless Latin American corruption. The show never bothers digging any deeper than that.

They were working hard to set up a third Narcos Mexico season at the end but eh, itíll probably just be more of the same. Unless they really change up the show I donít think I need to see any more of it.

The Escobar stuff worked better because he was such a larger than life character but itís hard to follow that up.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Apparently I had never seen all of Dirty Harry before because a lot of it was new to me. What an insanely fascist movie. I had rewatched The Naked Gun last week so a lot of the DH scenes were hard to even take seriously.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I donít get how Babylon Berlin can do so many things right but still have so many clunky aspects. I remember the bullshit fake-out in the first season (seasons, whatever), but the second-to-last episode of the latest one was absurd. Hey it turns out this one guy is actually completely psychotic because he didnít get complemented enough, the real murderers are people from last season that I donít think are hinted at whatsoever, and what was Weintraub doing when he got out of the car in the first episode? Who knows! Oh and letís have the crazy guy give a wall of exposition to explain everything. It seems to be a recurring theme to nearly kill Charlotte in the season finale which is grimly amusing, although injuries seem to be forgotten about within an episode or two so whatever.

The atmosphere and a lot of the subplots are still very compelling but it seems like the actual police-procedural-mystery is the weakest part of the show.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Nostalgia aside, Is Miami Vice actually good? I was 11 or so when it started and I remember watching an episode or two that had Phil Collins, but that's about it. Is it episodic or does it have major plot archs over the entire run?

Yes! There are some longer running stories but nothing like modern plot arcs. Keep in mind that it comes from the era of 26 episode seasons though, so there is filler. I watched the first two seasons and maybe 1-2 eps of the third before I decided to leave the show at a relatively high mark.

When itís good though, itís good. I had no nostalgia going into the show but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Keep in mind that after the pilot episode there are a few so-so episodes before it finds its legs.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

I started watching The People v. O.J. Simpson. I didnít realize the Bronco chase was like 2 hours long. Looking forward to seeing how the trial gets messed up since the evidence seems like an utter slam dunk. I didnít pay much attention to any of the details when it was happening and itís also been a few years. Also speaking of the Kardashians, are they famous because their dad was OJís friend and part of his legal defense team? The show makes it very clear that nobody had ever heard of a Kardashian before this.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gorman Thomas posted:

Nemeis (1992, Amazon Prime) is so sick, Albert Pyun is a king. Recommend me some more 90's b-scifi movies with practical effects.

Nemsis is utterly tremendous and sadly I donít think any of these can compare, but:

Hardware (1990) - Dylan McDermott! Plus a bunch of musician cameos
Death Machine (1994) - Brad Dourif!
Split Second (1992) - Rutger Hauer! Kim Cattrall! Pete Postlethwaite! (Note: I havenít seen this in literally a quarter century so I will not vouch for the quality)
Robowar (1989) - Reb loving Brown! (Ok this is 80s and more like z-scifi but still)
Robot Jox (1990) - Stuart Gordon directs

david_a fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 12, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Man Uncut Gems is a panic attack of a movie

Maybe thereís more substance to unpack on a second viewing but Iím not sure I want to go through that again. I didnít see the ending coming; I guess the moral is to not hire moron goons with short tempers

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fenix down posted:

I was browsing justwatch.com and noticed that World War Z is available to stream on 12 different platforms.

So I thought to myself - I wonder which movie has the most streaming options? Just typing in random films, I found a few other 12s, and then hit the jackpot!!

Available on 15 different services!! Now I'm wondering if there is something out there that beats it?

Night of the Living Dead. I count 20 just in the streaming row.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fenix down posted:

Whoa, I count 25 - that could very well be the winner! :O

Being public domain and actually good helps. If something beats it, itíll probably be on this list but skimming through it no real contenders stood out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BisterdDave posted:

I saw Paycheck in the theater and actually enjoyed it. I'll have to look into what else Philip K. Dick has done.
I would recommend a short story collection. His ideas seem to excel in that format; even some of his own longer form stuff doesnít quite expand on the ideas very well.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

isaboo posted:

Dark S3 on Netflix now go go go

Somehow I thought this show already had three seasons. This is the last one, right? I donít think itís possible to have another stakes-ratcheting last-scene twist without totally jumping the shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well great. Now I get to read a 4,000 word blog explaining the past two seasons to refresh the timelines and family tree.

The official explainer website is still around