Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'll stan for MUBI. Anyone who has it should check out Female Human Animal which just went up this week, so you've got a few to watch it before it cycles out. It's the film I wish Velvet Buzzsaw had bad. Novelist Chloe Aridjis plays a fictionalized version of herself, curating an art show of the works of Leonora Carrington, but soon finds herself being followed by a mysterious man. It's creepy and unnerving, dreamlike and surreal, hits on feminist themes around women and male violence in the art world, and best of all it's shot entirely on VHS. Absolutely worth signing up for a free MUBI trial to check it out. Only 75 minutes too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Sorry if this was posted but MUBI has just added the MUBI Library section for subscribers. Basically, MUBI's traditional model has been to have 30 films streaming at all times -- one new film is added and and one film leaves every day. Now, a curated selection of their backlog is available at all time with hundreds of films available at launch, including cuts from past series they've done (including Troma restorations, Lav Diaz features, literary adaptations, festival favorites, the Nicolas Winding Refn restorations, and other arthouse oddities and rarities). There's a ton of films here not available anywhere else (at least not in HD quality) and some that haven't been distributed at all outside of their brief MUBI appearances in the past.

https://mubi.com/library

Some suggestions for what's on there now:

Hoop Dreams (1994)
The Grand Bizarre (2018)
Le Cercle Rouge (1970)
Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer (1975)
Los Angeles Plays Itself (2003)
Holiday (2019, uncensored cut)
The Nest of the Cuckoo Birds (1965)
Reminiscences of a Journey to Lithuania (1972)
The Last Laugh (2014)
Tromeo and Juliet (1996)
Supermarket (1974)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I wanted to watch this movie so bad in my early 20's and couldn't ever find it anywhere in any form. I specifically remember it being unpossible to get with disc Netflix, though they claimed they had it. At this point it's been so long that I can't even remember why I wanted to watch it, just that I very much did.

You wanted to watch it because it rules.