Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
sometimes i'll just say "Sookie!" out loud in Bill's voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson on Netflix is decent but too often feels like watered down Tim and Eric.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's amusing to me is that all the ambitious arty genre-esque films of the past decade have very low or split user reviews on Prime. This, Hereditary, Under the Skin, Neon Demon, etc. all have like 2-3 stars on average.

Most people seeing movies have bad taste

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

is there a genre term for these cartoons that are funny half the time and about despair and depression the rest of the time?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

I really like this show as well. When I watched it it was dubbed in English though, I had subtitles on and they didn't match up to the dialogue which annoyed me so I turned them off.

But yeah still a cool show.

you can change the audio track on Netflix

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

Lovecraft County is scary as poo poo.

IMO it is not remotely scary.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Don't forget Quibi!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

pizza valentine posted:

Any early thoughts on I'm Thinking of Ending Things? I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to catching it at some point this weekend.

I enjoyed it a lot. Kaufman rules

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

pospysyl posted:

I guess I overstated it when I said I thought the ending was terrible, but I still don't think it was very food. The extended Oklahoma reference just isn't additive. Closing the entire movie with a song from a conpletely different musical, with no original reinterpretation or anything, robs the movie of its own identity.

Famethrowa posted:

That's kinda the point of Jake, though. He grew up stunted, with the only points of reference for healthy relationships being hackneyed cable TV shows, ice cream commercials, and high school productions of Oklahoma.

That a reproduction of someone else's thoughts is his final act, so to say, was the most profoundly sad part of the movie for to me

To follow up on this since I don't know if it's been brought up yet but the final scene/speech is an almost shot-for-shot recreation of the ending of "A Beautiful Mind". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82jqGq_tio - the janitor is dying and fantasizing himself as Russell Crowe, playing John Nash in the film, accepting a Nobel prize in front of a crowd of proud friends and family. Which is crushing imo.

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 8, 2020

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Finally finished off Bly Manor. While I certainly understand why some prefer Hill House, I thought they were roughly equal. I think Bly has a stronger start and Hill House had the stronger ending though.

I finished Bly Manor tonight and although I found myself a little bored at times throughout I was still all choked up and weepy at the ending. Hill House made me cry like a drat baby so I think I liked that better.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Mandy is my go-to midnight movie. That movie just HITS

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I got into a 4v1 argument at work when I said that Nicolas Cage is a better actor than Keanu Reeves.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I felt like I was losing my god drat mind

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyone with the Criterion Channel, you gotta gotta watch Bacurau. Just wow. Hell, find a way to watch it if you don't have Criterion.

I'm still cracked up by Obama listing it as one of his faves, it's like when he listed Parasite.

watched this today and yeah, it owns hard

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I thought Mortal Kombat was pretty bad. Cole Young is an insanely boring character. Feels like the movie spends 60 percent of the runtime in Raiden's temple which looks like a set from a 2004 Syfy series. Whole thing just kind of looked like poo poo aside from Subzero throwing ice around. It was also just dull and was severely lacking in gore for a movie based on Mortal Kombat.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

it's really good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Any of y'all ever watch Spontaneous (2020) - pretty sure it's on Hulu at the moment. Lovely, bizarre little black comedy/sci-fi rom-com about a high school where students start exploding into clouds of blood. Pretty much every character is likeable, the writing is decent and it's kind of touching! Absolutely loved it. God awful poster though.