Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Anybody watched Killer Mike's Trigger Warning? The first episode was good but then the show gets dumb. I see plenty praise for episode 3, but comparing a gang to Coco-Cola and making the Crips and gangs in general seem like a positive aspect to their respective communities is ridiculous.

EDIT - Even more ridiculous was him stating that the media never depicts the Crips and black gangs in films as a guilty pleasure entertainment.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

From an originals standpoint, neither have produced anything I want to see in a very long time. From a Hollywood films standpoint, HBO’s legacy business model of airing movies weeks after they were sold in stores never pissed of the movie studios like Netflix essentially federating the neighborhood Blockbuster that’s always out of stock and having enough copies of new movies for everyone. If you can’t remember the days when discs by mail was the lion’s share of their business, the studios kept wanting exclusivity windows etc, which is something HBO always afforded them (Blockbuster and public libraries didn’t, but again, not federated, only so many copies in your town.)

This stuff became less relevant due to iTunes, and yet still: Studios have always felt threatened for their existence by Netflix, but long felt chummy with HBO.

With Netflix anyone in your family can watch films anytime and anywhere they want for the price of a single film ticket. This wasn't the case with HBO.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The preview for Sonnie's Edge really grabbed me -- I liked the aesthetic, the music -- but the writing is so loving bad I tapped out without even finishing the whole 17-minute episode. Just atrocious.

I hadn't realized at first it was an anthology series, but if that's what they lead with I don't think I'm interested.

Pretty much. I've watched 3 episodes so far (which to be fair is really early). Two of the three tried WAY too hard to be "mature", it felt like they were made by a fourteen year old trying to be edgy. Ironically the other one (Three Robots) was far better as it relied on mostly tongue and cheap humor which its MA rating more or less coming solely from occasional strong language.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Holy poo poo! Sucker of Souls is awesome! Netflix greenlight this show now!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Arrested Development has been rear end since it returned. At least with say Futurama the show was still quality just maybe a notch or two down from its classic run. But Season 4 of Arrested Development was just painful and part 1 of Season 5 was so bad that I don't even want to watch the second half.

precision posted:

You is absolutely goddamn brilliant don't sleep on it because of the generic title or premise, it is loving nuts.

It really is great. Can't believe it was picked up from LIFETIME of all places.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I'd watch full movies/series of Suits, Sucker of Souls, and Good Hunting. Suits for obvious reasons, Sucker of Souls just because it was so much fun and almost scratched an animated BPRD itch. Good Hunting had some issues, but I would definitely watch a full show of huli jing transformer lady and her loyal mechanic hunting down colonial brits in steampunk Hong Kong, and I say that as someone who usually can't stand steampunk.

Yeah these three were BY FAR the best. Though I would say Sucker of Souls and Suits are a bit higher than Good Hunting, solely due to Good Hunting being a bit too ambitious for a fifteen minute short as it was really crammed in.

EDIT - I don't get the love for Zimba Blue. Yes, yes I understand the twist ending and its "meaning" but it's just...there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Fart City posted:

I know it's not getting the attention other shorts are, but that one has stuck with me, just because of how emaciated dude looks when he "wakes" up. Like, he's been there for god knows how long. That one actually felt the most true-blue old school pulp sci-fi to me out of the bunch.

It's an extremely mediocre entry saved by a god tier ending.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I would like to add that I was disappointed at the lack of 2D animated shorts. I counted three, which includes Zima Blue which is stretching it.

EDIT - Actually four. I forgot that god awful Hitler episode.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 20, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Double Toasted just did a fantastic review of the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtEcoVuj0Iw

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

They’re the best!

You'd think they'd have more YouTube subscribers.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I've heard that Jessica Jones is good. But the image of the show just comes across as super tryhard.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Netflix is only good for some of their top tier original series. But being honest they have been missing more than hitting lately. Haven't ventured with Hulu in a while being honest. Not sure if they have anything good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

What’s going on with the animation in the Witness episode of love death and robots? Is it just live actors that they stylized in post production?
It's all keyframed according to the studio. No rotoscoping involved.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Some of the shorts go into serious uncanny valley territory but I legit thought that one was real actors. Probably harder to spot because it’s so stylized instead of going for photo realism like some of the others.

I remember going "Holy poo poo this looks amazing!" and then felt stupid when realizing the episode Ice Age was using live action.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

Shapeshifters was loving lame.

I kept wondering why were soldiers so adamant in bullying with super creatures that could tear their heads off of their spine with a simple flick of their wrist.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Illinois is literally an example of what conservatives paint a blue state as. High cost of living, lovely government services, and taxes everywhere for everything.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

I think the new Twilight Zone is bad, what a dumb way to remake a classic episode.

The episode would be good if they took the last scene out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

My friends and I have been enjoying the new Twilight Zone.

The new episodes haven’t hit as hard as famous classic episodes, but that’s fine, they are certainly of the quality of the majority of the original series.

While I agree that they aren't as bad as people say they are, you have to keep in mind that the series isn't just being compared to classic Twilight Zone, but also to modern shows like Black Mirror.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Wasn't it shelved for like 2 years? It was probably only dragged back up in anticipation of Captain Marvel's success. That is very rarely a good sign.

Though when has that worked out? Trick r Treat is the only instance that comes to mind for me.

If what you are referring to are "films that had severely delayed releases that ended up being good", I'd add Cabin in the Woods as well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Anybody watch the new Rocko's Modern Life? The show's title is so accurate now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sell me on Glow.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm currently watching Killer Ratings. It's a Brazilian documentary about a host of a true crime hunters series (imagine if the dude from Nightcrawler had his own TV show) where they'd document murders around the city. It turns out that the host was paying people to commit the murders.

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny. The characters are good. It does the 80s well, without being obnoxiously nostalgia baiting like most poo poo these days. All around it's just really entertaining and puts me in a good mood.

I was probably exaggerating when I said it's the best show on Netflix, but it's really entertaining.

also this

Alright I may give it a shot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cannonbusters is finally out!?!?!?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Invader Zim was loving awesome.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It was the first thing I liked but couldn't say I liked because the fans were such garbage. A proto- Rick and Morty. Seriously the early mid 2000s were full of people wearing Invader Zim crap who wanted to sing you the doom song. I wonder who they grew up to be.

Yeah. I'm part of the "Liked Rick and Morty before it was cool" club as well. It's insane how huge the show is now compared to its humble beginnings, and just how terrible the fans are.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Philthy posted:

I don’t interact with other people so I have no idea what either of their fan bases were.

Invader Zim was HUGE at Hot Topic for like a decade after it for cancelled. The best way to describe Rick and Morty fans as the type of people who frequent VR Chat.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cannonbusters is the loving poo poo. It's American written/created anime that is animated in Japan much like the Boondocks. Hell the creator of this show worked on Boondocks.

It's fantastic so far with fun characters, great art style, and high quality voice acting in both the Japanese and English dubs.

Even though I'm always "sub or die", this show is the exception. Plus, I find it more fitting since the show is created and written by an American so I imagine the original script was in English.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

The new Invader Zim is great. Feels like it hasn't missed a beat since being cancelled.

They've been doing an Invader Zim comic for a while now. It's pretty much new episodes of the show but in stills.

One thing I'm glad that they did in the special was tone down Gaz a bit. Gaz during season 2 and in the comic was way too cruel.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was wondering whether or not Zim was really depressed or it was just an act to trick Dib?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why don't the tallest just kill Zim instead of exiling him?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Finished watching Cannonbusters. Great show, though I found the prince parts to be boring. Solid 8/10, would recommend.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Decided to give Glow a shot. I'm really enjoying it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm not going to get Disney+. I'm still in the "Netflix is the Steam of streaming services and all these companies attempting to cash in is dumb."

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't even dared to google yet, but that new Dave Chappelle is going to piss a bunch of people off lol. As a whole it's still funny as hell, but there is some subject matter he needs to stop doubling down on and just back away from. Not because I'm even particularly PC or give a poo poo about any of that, but he just sounds naive and and out of his element. Like, "oh god grandpas about to go off again".

Like, dude this is three specials in a row you've gone on a screed about trans people. Give it a rest. I don't even feel like making jokes about anything should be taboo, but it was a lame bit in the first special and it's just looking kind of pathetic at this point.

Dave shows that he never checks his Twitter and it shows. Both in how relaxed and unafraid he is. And also in how he doesn't rethink his stance and evolve as do many others have.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's pretty sad because I actually do agree that PC culture has gone out of control at times (just browser ResetEra), but there are such few people who are critical of it with reasonable opinions or who aren't bigots themselves.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Have you watched the Aziz Netflix special? If not you should really check it out because it's exactly that. It's really loving good.

He's also just grown so much as a comedian from his wacky early poo poo.

I guess I can try it out. But I watched some of his standup ten years ago (had a friend who loved him) and I couldn't stand him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Anything he's done in the last 5 or 6 years is so far removed from his early stuff it's not worth judging on that criteria.

Tbh I was a fan of his early albums myself, but looking back it's basically hipster kevin hart and borderline unlistenable. His 3 Netflix specials are really drat good though imo. The newest one especially.

Okay. I'll give him a shot. Thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Just finished GLOW. Season 3 was good overall, but the writing of the show is starting to wane a bit. The finale is a perfect example. Ruth is comically idealistic and stupid at this point. Turning down being a director of a show she loves and a job she's good at doing to continue trying to be a "real" actress which has been a disaster for her. She's not someone I want to root for, nor is she someone I want to hate. She comes across as a lost cause that I have no interest in seeing her "journey".

Timby posted:

It still baffles me that those are the top-watched shows on Netflix.

Seriously. Friends is so 90s and was never even that good. The Office is overrated as gently caress.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 29, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I find it so weird that people watch TV as background noise. I can see the reasoning behind it but it's so off-putting to me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I remember watching Chasing Amy for the first time a few months ago and was shocked that it was once seen as cutting edge progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Timby posted:

Americans like to pat themselves on the back for leading the way in stuff like race relations and the like, but it literally wasn't until 1996 that a very slim majority of Americans supported interracial marriage, for example, despite Loving v. Virginia being decided in 1967. Roughly 20 percent of Americans still believe that miscegenation is morally wrong.

It's crazy to think that when I was born the majority of people disapproved interracial marriage.