Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Shageletic posted:

Princess Kagoya?

Princess Kaguya was done by Isao Takahata, aka "the guy from Studio Ghibli that isn't Miyazaki"

I like his stuff personally (he also did Grave Of the Fireflies) but he's definitely the John Oates of the duo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

nate fisher posted:

Suffering? Nah I find it great. Lauren Ambrose is killing it.

Wait, Lauren Ambrose has a new show? I loved her in Six Feet Unde--

:hmmyes:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Nihonniboku posted:

Anyone see the new Mike Schur show Rutherford Falls on Peacock yet? I've heard good things, but have been holding off on watching just yet.

My mom showed me an episode or two and I thought it was funny. Honestly a really refreshing comedy to watch for anyone in the BIPOC community/interested in an earnest depiction of it, a lot of it felt very relatable

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah it's really not a "kids movie", between the scene of Schmendrick being crushed between a trees giant boobs and all the other horror.

I didn't really "get" the Butterfly as a kid and now he's my favorite incidental character. "They went down all the old roads long ago, and the Red Bull followed close behind" or whatever is burned into my brain

Also I never actually internalized that the cast is so stacked. Alan Arkin, Angela Lansbury, Christopher Lee, Mia Farrow...

I found out recently that not only did Jeff Bridges play the prince but that he offered to do it for free

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
The Sailor Moon reboot is honestly kind of terrible compared to the original 90's run IMO. Like it had a ton of filler (true of most long running anime) but there's a humor and looseness to it that Crystal lacks. Like they're so committed to keeping poo poo on model that it ends up looking and feeling totally stiff and soulless. There's comparisons on YouTube where you can see the difference for yourself, here's a quick example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgZAHMAL-I

With that said if you didn't grow up watching it when it came out/have never identified as a woman/don't have any interest whatsoever in the Magical Girl genre there's not going to be a huge appeal for you

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Desperado Bones posted:

The funniest thing about Sailor Moon is how they tried to censor all the gay, lesbians, even trans characters. :allears: But we all KNEW.

I just imagine all the censors freaking out with the Starlight season came in. I think in my country they didn't aired several episodes.

I suppose that's the other thing that gave it broad/lasting appeal, for a lot of us that bothered to look into it past its censored localizations it was also a very early portrayal of (mostly) positive queer/LGBT characters in a children's show. Not sure about other countries but the English dub hilariously tried to localize a lesbian relationship by retconning both women into just being "close cousins", but failed to take out basically all of the subtext. So they just ended up being gay cousins :allears:

That one is pretty infamous but my favorite example is in the very last season, where they have these three characters that, in today's context, basically read as trans men? Possibly genderfluid? Certainly not straight and not cis. IIRC the original English dub just gave up on trying to localize their characters entirely and just never bothered releasing it as a result. For a long time you could only experience the season via fansite documentation and unofficial subs.

It is hard to overstate how loving huge of a franchise it was back when it was new though. I remember Halloween stores carrying costumes as a kid and there being (bafflingly) American-penned novelizations of different episodes. Dolls and toys everywhere. Can't forget that one line in One Week by Barenaked Ladies

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I watched Riding In Cars With Boys recently and while it wasn't my favorite Drew Barrymore flick--frankly she just felt a bit miscast--Steve Zahn's performance was definitely a highlight

I watched Girl, Interrupted right before it and it's interesting to me that there's somehow two different movies simultaneously featuring Brittany Murphy and the Skeeter Davis song "The End Of The World"

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I haven't watched Six Feet Under in its entirety since I was literally Claire's age in the pilot episode. I turn 30 next year and have been contemplating a rewatch for a while now but am not sure how well it's aged in the interim

I only started watching the show because I learned Freddy Rodriguez was a main character and I loved his bit part in Ugly Betty. Ironically he ended up being my least favorite of the recurring cast, Rico was just kind of a dick a lot of the time :shrug:

I'd vote Nate as being The Worst Fisher personally. In retrospect he seems like a proto-Don Draper type but less compelling

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

George H.W. oval office posted:

Six Feet Under is just the prequel to Dexter

I will say I did find Dexter incredibly cathartic after the like two+ season recurring SFU plot of David getting carjacked. Like watching Dexter right after kind of felt like David's revenge!

It's a shame Dexter wasn't great after the third season or so. I mean I heard the one with John Lithgow was pretty good but I tapped out before I could get there

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Sirotan posted:

I pretty much checked out of the thread at that point because it was already so overwhelmingly negative and being incredibly lovely about Daniella Pineda not being "fit" enough to play Faye so idk if it went beyond this.

Yikes, really? I was hoping goons would be more progressive on that last part by 2021. Hell she's not even "not fit", she just isn't dressed like a literal stripper for no reason anymore :cripes:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Sirotan posted:

A lot of the criticism seems to be either "it was too similar to the anime" or "it was too different from the anime" so I guess I'd recommend watching the Netflix series before rewatching the anime so you can view it as its own thing.

Yeah as somebody who hasn't seen the anime in like a decade and a half at this point I'd second this. I'm enjoying it but I only faintly remember the plot beats and what they turned out to have added/changed hasn't really bothered me at all as a result

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I only gave the Paramount Plus free trial a shot so I could watch the New Edition/Bobby Brown miniseries that BET aired a couple years ago. I'd say those are both worth the watch if you're interested in 80s R&B/music biopics, the guy they cast as Bobby Brown in particular was stellar in the role. I didn't see much else of interest on the service though so I didn't keep it :shrug:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I feel like Cowboy Bebop isn't particularly "good" outside of the cast but I also feel like that might be part of the appeal for me. Like a lot of it gives me b-movie, Troma-lite vibes. It's campy but it's entertaining. They do take things in a different direction from the show but as somebody who hasn't watched the original in over a decade the changes either don't bother me or act as a pleasant surprise. I think it helps to go into it just seeing it as Its Own Thing rather than expecting it to be a 1:1 remake of That Awesome Action Sci Fi Show I Watched When I Was Ten

I will say one thing I definitely appreciate about the remake vs the original is that the remake is actually far less horny on main. It's ironic because you kind of expect an "adult" show on a streaming service to have more sex and not less but like, the way they animated basically every female character is kind of absurd in retrospect when juxtaposed with the live-action actresses

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Yeah the actors were definitely the best part of that reboot imo. Like I finished the whole thing and it was fine enough, didn't mind the overall deviations from the original on a plot level but I kinda felt like they all deserved to be in a better show with a better script. The main three in particular (John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda) were mostly what kept me watching.

The writing itself kinda felt like Joss Whedon crossed with a CW show. I liked the Space Seinfeld bits but as soon as it tried to get serious a lot of it fell sort of flat, like they couldn't decide what tone they wanted to go for

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
That DVD of Gondry's short films/music videos was very important to my teenage self. Not sure where you could find it now but I imagine you could simulate the experience by looking up his filmography via YouTube. Some of my favorites from him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN9auBn6Jys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJv-Ebi67I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTH71AAxXmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HSD_i2DvA

As far as his feature length stuff goes I remember Be Kind Rewind being pretty good (ending made me tear up at least) but it's been years since I've seen it. Eternal Sunshine definitely hit me the hardest though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Ryan Murphy was also responsible for Glee, which was approximately as batshit as the rest of these shows if you've ever watched more than an episode or two