Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Field Mousepad posted:

I liked velvet buzzsaw :)

Yeah, me too. :)

I got Amazon Prime next to Netflix this weekend. I'm Dutch and I don't think it has become a real thing here yet. I hear they are expanding and whatnot, so who knows.
It's 5,99 euro vs Netflix's 7,99 (basic) which is fine. It's really cool that I can finally watch The Expanse, Patriot, Fleabag and The Shield for the first time, fully, apart from quite a few other series I'm interested in. Pretty cool!

I'd ditch Netflix temporarily, were it not for my kids.
Does Amazon have some other really good shows or movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Bosch is great. I don't know if Amazon will also include The Wire (HBO), Deadwood (HBO), Justified (FX), and Hannibal (NBC) outside of the U.S., but those are four of my all-time favorite shows. Twin Peaks is really good too.

Bosch I noticed as well. Doesn't immediately catch my attention, but I might give it a go.
I've seen The Wire, Deadwood and Hannibal (mostly). Justified is my favourite show by a mile. Seen it 3 times and might actually start it again seeing it is on Prime yeah.

Patriot is.. strange. We watched a few episodes and my wife is not on board yet. It seems to be all over the place both in tone and story, so might have to give it a few more to settle.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Ever since I saw Patrick Wilson in Hard Candy, when I see him on screen I go "hey cool, Patrick Wilson".

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Watched the first episode of Hunters and it grabbed me, so looking forward to more.
We're also (binge)watching the Shield. Start of season 3 I found it to dip a bit and we even got a bit bored, but it picked up very well. Into season 4 now, still good, curious where it goes.

Sometimes I can't shake the feeling that the story is very well done and then suddenly ultra dark / shocking in small side bits and that those come from Sutter's hand. Some just feel comically shocking, making otherwise fantastic episodes uneven.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

hmmxkrazee posted:

Now that FX is on Hulu, what's a good choice to start with? I've already seen The Shield and Terriers and have my eyes set on Justified.

Justified is my favourite series. You'll find that season 1 might be a bit episodic, but it will tie in eventually. Season 2 is some of the best out there and the series (to me) doesn't let up.
The ending is fantastic too, so no worries about it fizzling out.

Next one's coming faster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvsOHiTXLzY

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah, I'd had my fill of Justified after S2 concluded, and it was a pretty satisfying conclusion. I'm just not drawn to badass cops on TV anymore, but if that's your thing, Justified is a good show.

Even though Justified is my fav, I can understand this.
I never really watched The Shield before and I am currently binging it with my wife (nearing end of S4). It's good, but it's not great at all, to me. I think a lot of it has to do with having seen this / been there.
I also can't shake that hack Sutter tainting my opinion, because I firmly believe that the weaker bits from The Shield comes straight from him, evidenced by doubling-down on them in Sons of Anarchy.
Mostly the completely out of place shock-situations that randomly appear, where the cast needs to act around. It doesn't fit, character's reactions do not mesh and it's just completely out of tune with an otherwise great show.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Flying Zamboni posted:

Season 5 is when the show goes from good to great so you are close to some of the best stuff. The last three seasons are pretty much one continuous arc that really focuses the show and it's themes.

Hey that's good to hear. :) Looking forward to it!

re: The Wire; check out season 1, Field Mousepad. Episodes are dense. You'll find out quite soon if you'll like it.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Halfway into season 5 of The Shield. We're enjoying the development of the main story. The side-stories are eye-rolling. Baby cut from the womb, cord on the road, baby corpse in view a few times, graphic description how the body "cracked". So out of place and edgy that I completely disconnect unless the main story develops a bit.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
My best movie experiences have been The Ring, Lord of the Rings and The Matrix. All for various reasons, but The Ring really jumps out. Entire crowd was into it, scared and it felt like absolute terror creeped in during the TV scene. Fantastic. Screams and release laughter are amazing in theatres.

Oh, and I'd have to add Teen Titans Go to the Movies; there's something so cool to have a bunch of fathers with their son or daughter there (I was there with my son too) and hear the kids and fathers laugh at different moments. After every laugh from the parents, you hear this mumbling of all the kids going "why did you laugh, what was funny" etc. Feelsgood. Created some really nice group-feeling too, if that makes sense.
Bunch of small children howling with laughter because in the opening scene that big balloon villain gets shot in the rear end and makes a long farting noise; that's cinema. :)

Worst was when my now-wife and I visited New York (we're Dutch) some 10 years ago. Fantastic trip, but on a whim we decided to go to the movies on an evening, having some weird glorified idea how it would be. It was horrible. Movie was poo poo (Nightmare on Elmstreet remake), theatre was maybe 1/4 filled. Half of them were on their phones, everywhere people put their feet on the headrest of the chairs in front of them and I've never seen so few people leave such a mess behind. During the movie someone took a phonecall and was just chatting for a few minutes. Never experienced anything like that before.

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I did too, I definitely winced a few times and I liked the core group with the two couples

I definitely winced too. Didn't like the movie much, though. Man that foot scene...

Acht fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 17, 2020

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

veni veni veni posted:

For the most part it became kind of novel after that except for Dredd. Which I am very happy I saw in 3D. I think it makes better use of it than any movie I've seen. I consider watching Dredd in 3D the definitive version of the movie. it loses something without the 3D making you feel like you are tripping during the drug scenes.

drat right. Dredd in 3D is fantastic. The colours popping, too. Good lord.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Shageletic posted:

NYC movie watching experience is highly segmented. You have some of the best theaters and communities of cinenamphiles like Film Forum, Metrograph, etc. Then you have cheap spots in Times Sq or wherever usually used just by kids to avoid the heat.

I like the best of both worlds and places like the AMC in UWS and Lincoln Plaza for a combination of cheapness, care in presentation, comfortability, and most importantly ppl making an effort to not annoy each other when watching a 16 dollar movie.

It would likely have been on / near Times Square as we stayed in the New Yorker (?) hotel or something like that. 33rd or 34th street? Bad luck I guess.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm thinking of starting on Bosch, but the first episode didn't really sell me yet. All 6 seasons are up on Prime. Does it get noticably better / interesting?
Good thing; it doesn't seem "case of the week", which I dislike.

Reference: I love Justified, The Wire, Luther

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
That's a really convincing post Franches, thank you. :)
Going to give it a proper go.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
That's even more recommendation for me then. I'm an Actual Dad!
Seriously; seen the first 3 episodes now and it's pretty good! Quite interested to see where it goes.
I like those two goofball cops that pop up now and then. Hope they are regulars.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I've watched 6 episodes of Cobra Kai. The first two or so were great, because I am 41 and I'm basically with them remembering. Some legit great scenes of childhood events that they can't shake emotionally and keep creeping up on them.
After that it becomes a bit bland though? Am I missing something that is developing to keep this interesting for 2 seasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

nate fisher posted:

To be honest Cobra Kai gets a lot of praise because it is better any right it had to be. I feel like it is not great and has tons of issues. It relies too much on clichés of characters not sharing information or characters seeing/hearing a tail end of something and making it a 100 times worse. Also the acting is not great by some of the younger actors (especially Robbie who would be great on the next season of WWDITS as an energy vampire, because he sucks the life out of every scene). In the end the Johnny and Danny stuff is for us, and the rest is for teenagers. It is not a bad show, but it really gets overhyped due to how it surprised everyone.

That's.. a really precise description of my opinion so far as well. I think there's just not enough to keep me entertained and there's too much that puts me off.