Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Past Tense Ragu posted:

You're just completely not understanding his point at all. He's saying the way the battle is presented is plagiarized from Game of Thrones. Like when Lord of the Rings came out and every battle scene after it for years looked just like its battle scenes. Not just in content but in form.

The King's portrayal of the battle of Agincourt was based off of the original archival photos, so you're really showing your ignorance here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah and his evidence is there was mud and people getting crushed in it. GoT had aerial camera views, one man running through a CG cavalry charge followed by a shaky cam, and multiple dramatic slow motion shots. The King had none of those and its centerpiece was a lengthy continuous take that followed the protagonist as he selected targets of opportunity in the chaos. It didn't "look like" GoT except that it was a muddy battle with medieval weaponry. It was not similarly directed at all.

A lot of the features that you argue distinguish GoT are in The King, particularly during the part of the fight that follows Falstaff. There's an aerial shot of him in the mob of fighters (which is also in slow motion), there are shots of him weaving through cavalry fighters, and plenty of shaky cam throughout. The continuous take with Hal distinguished itself more, but not that much more.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Midgetskydiver posted:

Admittedly I've only seen The King once so I may be mistaken on those points. But even if I am, all those elements were present in the battle of gaugamela in Alexander which was filmed in 2004 so the idea that GoT invented any of those things is pretty dumb.

I wouldn't say that GoT "invented" those common film techniques, but I'd bet that Michod was at least influenced specifically by GoT.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Lol.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1194298167824650240?s=19

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

K. Waste posted:

Midsommar is much more overtly a black comedy, and what it has over Hereditary is an overarching theme that doesn’t collapse under a weight obscurantism.

Like, with Hereditary you still have this debate over whether the film is really using a completely obtuse conspiracy is a facile metaphor for a legacy of trauma from abuse, or is actually just about a conspiracy.

Midsommar is much more appreciably straightforward that, yes, it is just a conspiracy, there is no metaphor, and the experience of Pugh’s character is simply allegorical of the pursuit of finding an actual community that deeply embraces all its members, as opposed to the profound alienation of modern society.

I think you and I are the only people who believe the latter position on this one.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Watching Atlantics really benefits from having no expectations about it going in. I didn't love it, but it's well worth watching.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

pizza valentine posted:

Any early thoughts on I'm Thinking of Ending Things? I really enjoyed the book and am looking forward to catching it at some point this weekend.

It's much funnier than the book.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I've read "I'm Thinking of Ending Things" so expected a fairly surreal movie and got... something. I was not a fan and the ending was bad.

I loved it, but yes the ending is terible.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

Also the ending was incredible I'm not sure how people disliked it. The final scenes represented all his hopes and dreams and inner life that didn't get fulfilled. There's a lot to talk about there in how childhood trauma can stunt your growth and trap you in a small town like that, ending with your death while working at your old high school

I guess I overstated it when I said I thought the ending was terrible, but I still don't think it was very food. The extended Oklahoma reference just isn't additive. Closing the entire movie with a song from a conpletely different musical, with no original reinterpretation or anything, robs the movie of its own identity.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

ill just continue watching gilmore girls on netflix I think.

have there been any decent original romcoms on streaming? closest I got was Love on Netflix but that's a movie stretched into a miniseries, natch.

e. oh god they made 3 seasons of Love

I like Easy on Netflix, but that's an anthology series.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

To be clear, Bruenig is a trad cath, so consider the source.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It really is disturbing how quickly people will join a conservative culture war led by Ted Cruz and Michael Cernovich.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Why would I comment on a one minute clip taken out of context? Would I say that Little Miss Sunshine sexually exploited Abigail Breslin because she does a strip routine at the climax? Of course not, but if you edited the video to remove the scandalized looks and the rest of the family joining in, I'd be pretty shocked!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I did! That's why I mentioned Little Miss Sunshine, because that's what it instantly reminded me of. Now you can watch the rest of the movie and let me know that there's no content in the movie that contextualizes this moment as sad or ridiculous.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Have you ever been in a car in the woods in the mountains in the Eastern US and thought

"Wow, this is beautiful. I sure would love to watch people die in these woods. But not real people right in front of me, that would be too intense. I want them to be fictional people, people played by actors, on a screen. That's what I want, to watch fictional people die in the woods in the mountains in all sorts of different ways. For at least 2 hours."

Well, now there's a movie for you! It's called The Devil All the Time and it's on Netflix right now!

It's so trashy, I love it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The narration was definitely an intentional choice, because the narrator is the novelist who wrote the book. It's a genius choice too, since without the narrator's wry tone the movie would be much more bleak than it turns out to be. Part of the fun of it is the narrator providing color commentary on the different characters. One guy is a "piece of poo poo", another "was always kind of hosed up." The goal isn't really to "explain" the action, but to characterize what's happening more effectively. Yeah, the narrator robs the movie of a lot of suspense, but that's also kind of the point. The most hapless characters are doomed to be killed off because of the nature of the world they live in. And for what it's worth, the really big moments are foreshadowed more subtly.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly, I kind of feel like it's been long enough that most people have forgotten about Borat, and even if they encountered Borat they might not realize it's the same dude from the movie.

SBC has also gotten fourteen years older, so even though he's wearing the same costume you wouldn't be able to immediately pin him as the same guy.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

You're thinking of Crimson Peak, which yeah is more of a Gothic romance than a straight horror movie even though it had some cool ghosts. What an awesome set that movie had.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At the end, did Steve Carrell just smile, learn to enjoy a slow life and settle down with the candidate's relative he had been fighting with in the first two acts?

Nothing as hacky as that! He actually hooks up with the Republican consultant working for the opponent.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I might skip to the second episode because man do I not care about evil orphanage drama.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Finally finished Hannibal Season 3 and I gotta say, I dunno if it's like this in the original books or movies when it comes to the Red Dragon burning someone alive, I know they switched Lounds and Chilton and did that earlier fakeout with the fake burning of Lounds but...is it as similarly weird and bizarre in terms of their choice to get involved?
I get that Chilton wants attention, I get that Hannibal refuted him and was like HAH UR NOT FAMOUS, but it still seemed uncharacteristic and strange...he's far too clever and always looking out for his own skin as a character in the TV series, I was really confused by his choice to agree to help Will Graham with the article plan AND DECIDE TO BE IN THE PICTURE??
He knows, we know, everyone knows, there could be major loving consequences from going on the record and being like YO RED DRAGON UR A PUSSY LOL COME AT ME BRO which is BASICALLY what he does. Maybe it's less silly in the original? Possibly because Lounds is more of a slimey tabloid journalist willing to publish any scoop?
It just seemed BIZARRE for Chilton to put his neck out there, and in such an obvious trap, esp after his treatment at the hands of Lecter. Even if he feels like his career is suffering lately, it's such an obviously Most Dangerous loving Thing To Do Ever

Lounds is only in Red Dragon, so Fred's character is very different than Freddie. In the novel he wants a book deal so he needs to appear in pictures to promote himself. He's not very smart, so he only figures out what Will did when he's captured by the Dragon. It's a situation where he thinks he's playing Will, so he can't see how he's being played. He's only involved because he interferes with the follow up to Hannibal's letter.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 2, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Quote is not edit

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Had a hell of a paranoia marathon on Prime watching Under the Silver Lake and the original Utopia series (on like episode 4 or 5 of S1). Liked them both a lot.
Utopia's one of those series I constantly got recommended by goons. Did its cancellation gently caress up the story? Am i in for an ultimate heartbreaker because of that? Has anyone watched the American remake series? I'm not really interested in it, but I guess I will be if the original ends kinda mid-narrative.

I don't think they changed anything because of the cancellation. Season 2 basically ends on a cliffhanger.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If you have a TV streaming device with a browser you can access pretty much any streaming service, app or no. In some ways it's even better since most browser streamers allow you to manually adjust streaming quality if you're having trouble.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

david_a posted:

I thought it was good; reminded me of the True Grit remake. Extremely Western-y.

Yeah, Pascal's dialogue is very Portis. You can see why he was cast in The Mandalorian.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hubbardologist posted:

I dunno pal, I happened to scroll down to the reviews while checking it out.

Reminds me of the time I saw The Handmaiden in an arthouse theater and a bunch of elderly people walked out in the middle of the first sex scene.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Boxman posted:

I think the issue is that there really isn't a joke outside of "lol we are all so incredibly stupid, everything is terminally hosed," which is great for us broke-brained idiots, especially those of us who primarily hang out in CSPAM. On the other hand, people with a modicum of hope or belief in...well, anything, at this point, don't love that sort of nihilism.

Brooker's Wipes were always bleak recitations of all the ways the world got worse that year, which is what I appreciated about them. Maybe I'll give this year's iteration another shot.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

sponges posted:

Don’t know where else to ask this but since it’s streaming on Disney+...

Why do people hate Hamilton so much? The leftists on my Twitter feed were acting like it’s the worst drat thing.

https://twitter.com/LinzDeFranco/status/1349737447622545411

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

I'm in the mood for some really classic fantasy: Conan-style swords-and-sandals, or something with wizards or dragons. It doesn't have to be high-quality, and honestly schlock might be preferable. Something like Conan or Krull would be nice (although not those in particular, since I've already seen them). Any ideas?

Beastmaster's on Prime.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

is that what the Gorean sex fetishists come from? surprised it was a good movie.

That would be the novels, which are indeed very gross. I actually didn't know there was a movie.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Martman posted:

Finally convinced some friends to watch Gods of Egypt since it's free on Amazon Prime. I really think if this movie had just gone with entirely made up mythology instead of pissing all over Egyptian culture it would be beloved. What a dumb but awesome ride.

Gods of Egypt is super underrated. Sometimes you just want a movie where the protagonist jumps on a random chariot, yells "Yah!" and the horse instinctively knows exactly where to go. Everyone's having a blast in it. Chadwick Boseman in particular is great.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

I had watched the first half in the morning, I was listening to the second half just to hear what dumb poo poo Leto would say next

That guy was one of the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a movie.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or what

married but discreet posted:

Not just this movie, or Netflix specific:

Is this plagiarism, placed ads that are supposed to look like reviews or what?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

One of the interesting things about Nomadland is that many of the nomad characters aren't actually poor. Charitably, you could call them "Bohemians" (the uncharitable term would be "poverty tourists"). David Strathairn's character is almost certainly not actually poor given his children's wealth and that he can easily afford a surgery despite only working menial seasonal jobs. Swanky is also retired, not poor. On the other hand, Fern is mostly a nomad by necessity. Although she could move in with her sister, she actually did lose her house and her means of income. Because of that, you could read Fern leaving David towards the ending as an illustration of the class tension between the nomads by choice and nomads by necessity.

This isn't really a strong engagement with the political questions raised by the nomads' situation, though, and one of my main criticisms about the movie is that its apolitical stance feels inauthentic. Aesthetically, not wanting to portray Fern's work as too hard or too easy makes each of her tasks less involving. I would honestly prefer the movie if it did glorify poverty and Amazon's labor practices. At least there would be something to think about.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Zardoz is a really apt comparison, for better or worse.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Gal Gadot is a great actress except for when she has to talk.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Any streaming recommendations along the lines of Bacurau and Sorcerer? Dirty, grimy, central / south American setting, that kind of low budget but authentic feel that so many 70s movies had (I know Bacurau is 2019 but it feels like a 70s movie)

Birds of Passage, a gritty crime epic set in indigenous Colombia, is on HBOMax. It was made in 2018 but it's set in the seventies.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Gotta say that when it comes to left wing musical comedy specials, I prefer Trevor Moore over Bo Burnham. The song where Trevor's computer comes to life, buys him DMT, and introduces him to the Anunnaki says a lot about our generation's relationship with the internet, it really speaks to me.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

what are some good giamatti things on streaming right now im in the mood for giamatti yall

Just watched Love and Mercy, the Brian Wilson biopic, on Hulu, and Giamatti does an absolutely wild villain performance in it. The movie's actually really good, Paul Dano is great as younger Wilson.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

wizardofloneliness posted:

Darkplace is by far the best Matt Berry/Richard Ayoade teamup. Berry is great in it obviously, but I'd say Ayoade is the MVP of that show. It's on Prime and last I checked youtube also has all the episodes on it.

What's Ayoade up to these days anyway? I watched Submarine a while back and really enjoyed it. I haven't seen The Double yet, but I thought it looked interesting.

He was in one scene in The Souvenir, but it was an absolutely incredible scene. He's apparently in The Souvenir Part 2 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The thing that sticks out to me was how they tried to draw parallels between the different zoos' labor practices. Like yes, Big Cat Rescue does exploit unpaid volunteers and interns to an unhealthy degree and that sucks, but she's not running a bigamist cult or paying her workers with discarded animal feed. It goes to show how totally cynical its politics and approach to documentary were, which I think ironically made it ideally situated for the pandemic.