Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Snowpiercer was trash, Train to Busan was a far more realistic take on the train genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I'd add a small blurb for VRV to the op. It's more anime focused, but it has Shudder's entire catalogue, a few fun shows scavenged from seeso's corpse, classic Nickelodeon and Boomerang cartoons, some good slightly more indie animation, and a ton of other miscellaneous stuff.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 4, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I'm rewatching Frankenstein Chronicles again. Such a great show. As a Victorian era gothic horror period piece long form character focused crime drama with a dab of politics, it basically checks off all my boxes for Good Streaming Content with some solid body horror and a strong lead performance from Sean Bean. The second season also changes things up in a really big way so it never really gets stale.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Triple Frontier was pretty good. I liked that movie didn't spend too long pretending that they were the good guys just because they were robbing a drug lord, I love a good heist movie with a bunch of scumbags. It didn't blow my mind, but I still really enjoyed it, which seems to be where a lot of the Netflix films fall.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Love Death and Robots was pretty good. I was really high but I could still tell that the writing was slacking in a few places. Still, seeing an animated anthology actually get made in 2019 more than made up for it.

Suits was awesome and probably my favorite, Zima Blue was a close second. Shapeshifters was loving lame.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Netflix is basically the cornerstone of my streaming setup and has by far the best ui and selection of original content, so I'm willing to put up with some price hikes.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

What you are seeing is Tarantino's original artistic vision with no studio meddling, and if you can't appreciate that then perhaps movies aren't your thing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Dark is an incredibly depressing puzzle box of a sci fi mystery and season 2 perfectly expands on and further convolutes season 1 in some really interesting ways. If you like time travel fuckery and really good character drama then you should really check it out.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Blue Ruin is still one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a low budget revenge flick, except instead of some supersoldier mowing down faceless grunts, the main character is just a normal rear end dude with zero combat skills who is emotionally broken and homeless after the murder of his parents when he was younger. poo poo constantly goes sideways in somewhat realistic ways, stuff like not being able to afford a gun, stealing a gun, and having to throw it away because he couldn't break the lock on it. Macon Blair gives a great lead performance and the movie itself is beautifully shot. This was Jeremy Saulnier's first big movie, and if you liked Green Room or Hold the Dark, I'd say that this is definitely the best of the three movies (by a pretty decent margin in the case of Hold the Dark) It's rare to see a revenge movie where the main character is so vulnerable, both physically and emotionally and it really makes for a tense and compelling story.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Point Blank is pretty good. Stylish action, great cast, workable plot, oddly comedic tone at times for such serious subject matter. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but another solid entry into Netflix's catalog of decent action movies.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 21, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I read the comic and The Boys is problematic and overly edgy to say the very least, but if you can look past that it's still a pretty entertaining take on superheroes and (I think?) it has its heart in more or less the right place.

It's a Garth Ennis comic, so when people say edgy, they mean Edgy, and it seems from the first episode that they're not shying away from much, so it's definitely not for everyone.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

garycoleisgod posted:

Haven't seen the Boys yet, but am I right in looking at the trailers that Hughie knows who Annie is right from the jump and wants to get her to help rather than being oblivious to her true identity like in the comics?

Hope all the Glorious Five Year Plan stuff is in there still
Not quite, he doesn't realize it in their initial meeting, but finds out pretty quickly

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 27, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

TheAardvark posted:

This is why I'm really hesitant to watch it. I read the comic when I was 15-17 and I remember enjoying it. I feel like watching a show that's faithful is just going to remind me that I was an edgelord at 16.

The show is still very edgy, but it's toned down a lot and they make some of the one note characters into actual characters. They also do actually change a few things around from the way I remember them in the comic.

I felt like it generally avoided being edgy just for the sake of being edgy. They generally used horrible moments to illustrate the problems with hero worship elevating the superheroes' egos to the point where they view the people as being subhuman and the moral bankruptcy of an unchecked capitalist society with the vought corporation. I think they handled it about as well as they could without changing the entire tone of the story.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I rewatched the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary and it still remains my favorite documentary of all time. It gets all the facts and events across effectively with a pretty clinical tone typical of a Ken Burns joint, but it doesn't fall into the same trap that the civil war one does of being too dry to binge through since it was recent enough to have footage and commentary from the people who were actually there which gives it the emotional aspect and visual flair that it needs to stay incredibly compelling. There are some truly chilling moments in there that really stick with you. It also has a relatively balanced perspective with commentary from the American, North Vietnamese, and South Vietnamese side, from military, civilian, and political points of view.

It really exemplifies what a documentary should be in my opinion.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Watched Escape Plan 2, Three Days of the Condor, and the first season of Documental all on prime. All were enjoyable in their own ways.

Escape Plan 2 was awful, but still quite enjoyable and the cast was solid featuring Stallone, 50 Cent, and Bautista. Overly fast paced and not well written at all, but the gimmick kept it fun. You could tell they were trying to appeal to the Chinese market, but I liked Huang Xiaoming's character who was basically the lead of the film. It's fun seeing meathead action stars portrayed as hyperintelligent prison break experts.

Three Days of the Condor was pretty solid. I always like a good spy flick and this definitely scratched the itch. It was definitely better than Escape Plan 2, but I was ultimately pretty neutral on it.

Documental was a pretty hilarious Japanese comedy show. It's a reality show about 10 comedians putting around $10,000 on the line each then going into a room for 6 hours and trying not to laugh while also trying to make the other comedians laugh to eliminate them, winner takes the pot. Don't go in expecting witty comedy, it's a bunch of comedians trying to make each other laugh with juvenile bits and slapstick comedy.

There's some kinda iffy racial humor here and there that probably wouldn't fly in an American show, but it's pretty much all coming from the half black comedian using his race as a tool to get the other guys, who are less used to diversity since Japan is a lot more homogeneous, to crack. There isn't too much directed at him, and it's never all that egregious when it is.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Is there a list of episodes of the shield that are skippable? Not sure if I have 7 whole seasons in me

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

This Cannon Busters anime that Netflix just put out is actually pretty great. Seems like it was based on an American comic so it's got a pretty diverse cast of characters. Really reminds me of old school anime like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun, something that people who don't typically like anime would still enjoy, it's kinda a mishmash of sci fi/western/fantasy. It also has a very good english dub.

I'm excited to check out Mindhunter s2 next.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

veni veni veni posted:

The purge show is pretty poo poo but also entertaining, much like the Purge movies .

The purge movies past the first one (which was just boring) are never home runs, but they always swing for the fences.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I'm always a sucker for comedic actors in dramatic roles, and I'm also a sucker for spy movies so The Spy sounds like a perfect fit.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Finished up s1 of The Terror as well. Fantastic series that started strong and ended strong and never wore out its welcome. The cast was absolutely incredible.

I hated Fitzjames at first but god drat I loved that dude by the end. He seemed like an incompetent officer in it for personal glory, but he was one of the most competent and decent people on the crew and it broke my heart to see him die. I also really liked the slow reveal of Hickey's character. He started as a scrappy sympathetic guy trying to work his way up in the world and you start to realize as things get more desperate that he's a cunning and merciless sociopath and that every single thing he does is to manipulate circumstances in his favor, culminating in the mutiny and the reveal that he wasn't even the real Hickey. I liked that the monster was an equal or even lesser threat compared to the dwindling resources, traitorous crew members, and rapidly declining morale.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

The Spy was some really good spy drama. Doesn't wear out it's welcome on a binge watch either at a lean 6 episodes.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Hip Hop Evolution is really good. It's a fascinating look at the history of hip hop and covers a pretty wide range of eras and regional scenes. Tons of interviews with the people it discusses.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Time Trap is a bad movie elevated to a very entertaining experience by a likable cast and absolutely bonkers premise that they utilize extremely well. That ending was something else.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Carnival Row was awesome, but it really feels like the first season was all just a prequel for the actual story in season 2.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

El Camino was pretty good. The story functioned fine without this added chapter, but it was a good epilogue and it was nice to get some extra closure on Jesse's story.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

garycoleisgod posted:

My Name is Dolemite was good fun. Eddie Murphy was great and I didn't think Wesley Snipes could steal the movie like that.

In a weird way Rudy Ray's ceaseless ambition and drive is like a nice version of Lou Bloom from Nightcrawler , odd comparison but it's what I kept thinking while watching.

Haha, I kinda got some Lou Bloom vibes too, but a lot less sociopathic. The movie was incredibly fun and a return to form for Murphy.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Not sure if it's still up but The Tiger was a badass period piece set during the Japanese occupation and it's about a tiger hunter hunting a legendary tiger.

Also there's Nightmare High which is a show about a new teacher who starts cutting faustian bargains with the students in order to claim their souls which is pretty entertaining.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 29, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Got in the mood for a Korean movie after the recent discussions. Watched 26 Years. It's a revenge movie focused on a ragtag group of people who were deeply traumatized by the military suppression of the Gwangju uprising of 1980 and plot 26 years later to assassinate the man (who was then president) responsible who was tried, but still retained much a large amount of power and lives a life of luxury in his heavily guarded estate after being prosecuted.

It's a very politically charged movie. I can't speak much to the politics of the movie since I'm not very familiar with the incident and surrounding circumstances but it doesn't seem problematic taking the pro democracy stance very firmly and completely condemning the man behind the incident. I recommend reading up on it a bit.

The movie itself was pretty good. I liked all the characters, especially the young woman who was a sports shooter on the national team whose mother was killed in the uprising leaving her father a completely broken man. It combines a solid heist style setup with a character focused story that explores the shared trauma of the cast. I liked the action and the final setpiece was very unique and cool.

There's an incredibly graphic animated segment at the beginning that shows the uprising, specifically the events that traumatized the main characters and it doesn't shy away from the bloodshed or gore in the slightest, so if you're not in the mood to see a bunch of warcrimes, maybe give this one a pass.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tainen posted:

Finished the second season of Jack Ryan and it was a really good one of those. I did find the climax laughably ridiculous though.

”Jack you can’t take out Reyes (the President) we don’t have the authority”
As they massacre everyone in the presidential palace which they also surely don’t have the authority to do

Also I don’t really understand how time works in the Clancyverse
was that guy laying in the grass outside the prison camp for like two weeks??? Dude found the camp, then Ryan did his whole England trip and returned before he was rescued

In general it was a lot more ridiculous. I still enjoyed it but it was definitely a step down from s1. The climax was especially dumb and felt like something out of a cheesy jingoistic action flick rather than a slightly more grounded series.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I can confirm that The Mandalorian is indeed badass.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I really loved The Witcher

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

The new John Mulaney special is amazing

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

I think that the Netflix model is better for the viewers in most aspect (there were some good points made about water cooler chat which you don't get nearly as much of with a mass release) but I think that the weekly model winds up being better for the show itself (if it's actually good it can build and maintain hype over an extended period)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

precision posted:

What'd the consensus end up being on El Camino? Despite loving Vince Gilligan I've had less than zero desire to watch it

Good, if unnecessary. A nice epilogue to jesse's arc if you want that

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Alita and Ghost in the Shell to a lesser extent really turned me around on the idea of live action anime adaptations. Both were quality flicks with great settings, enjoyable characters, and unique action. I really hope Alita does get a sequel, though I'm not holding my breath.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

The new Picard show on CBS All Access doesn't feel very much like star trek, but it is quite good despite that.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Hunters is most definitely some graphic novel rear end television. Really liking it so far.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Altered Carbon s2 is even better than s1.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Rewatched Alita Battle Angel on HBO. Such a great flick, really hope it gets a sequel with more motorball.

Now I'm finally gonna binge through hannibal while I'm laid up sick and it seems absolutely amazing so far. Does it get worse at any point? If there's a bad season or a drop in quality I'd like to be ready for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

The further up its own rear end Legion is, the better it gets.