Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There aren't any characters you're really supposed to root for in I Care a Lot. Great movie though, it was kinda like Nightcrawler in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Record of Ragnarok is out and it's pretty loving great. Basic elevator pitch is that the gods (led by zeus) want to wipe out humanity, but get pulled into a tournament by a valkyrie, one of the norse gods who is sympathetic towards the humans, pitting the strongest gods (some names include Poseidon, Zeus, Shiva, and Hercules) against the strongest humans (some notable ones are Adam from the bible, Lu Bu, Jack the Ripper, Sasaki Kojiro, Nicola Tesla) to decide their fate. Don't worry about getting too bogged down by the story though, the first battle of the tournament starts like halfway through episode 1.

The animation is cheap, but it looks a lot better than some of the other netflix series and doesn't use much of that cheap looking cgi. The art also looks very cool and captures the unique artstyle from the manga pretty well. The Japanese voice acting is also quite good. I can't speak to the quality of the english dub though. Netflix can be pretty hit or miss on English dubs.

It's a very dumb anime and it knows it, the animation equivalent of a child smashing their action figures together, but it's also filled with endearing and entertaining characters and legitimately badass moments. Was very pleasantly surprised with how good it turned out.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Blood Red Sky is loving badass. It's a plane hijacking thriller with one massive loving twist on the formula that really makes things interesting.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Nihonniboku posted:

Is that Wheel of Time? I'm always keeping my fingers crossed for quality fantasy or scifi entertainment.

People keep talking about how great the Wheel of Time series is. A friend got me the first book as a gift, but I've had trouble starting it for years. I get a few chapters in, and just find it so boring. I was trying to read it again on a plane, and this guy next to me asked what I thought. I told him my thoughts and he chuckled and said he's been trying and struggling to start it for a while too.

I leave my copy of book 1 on the toilet and I've slowly been reading through it when I forget my phone over the past 6 or 7 years.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

STAC Goat posted:

I always get a kick out of it when Hollywood cranks out a bunch of movies that are kind of hard to tell apart from each other from a distance all at once for no apparent reason. Kate, Jolt, Gunpowder Milkshake. Its like someone in LA said "John Wick, but a woman" and everyone ran for their phones.

Remember when they released White House Down and Olympus has Fallen within a few months of each other and both were just Die Hard in the White House? That was pretty funny.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Malignant was pretty loving cool. Bad dialogue, passable characters, slightly stilted performances, weird but cool cinematography, great kills and gore, and an absolutely wild payoff to the big mystery of the movie.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I loved Atomic Blonde because it told a very John Le Carre esque spy story with the more modern John Wick sensibilities. In my opinion, it nails the spy action formula better than just about any other movie. It's not as dry as a pure spy movie, but it isn't just pure action and spectacle like a Bond or Mission Impossible flick.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just checked out Squid Game finally. Amazing show. It's so good to see the death games genre getting some real mainstream appeal.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

veni veni veni posted:

I'm usually a Dave Chappelle apologist, but that new special is sort of embarrassing to watch. Like, Jesus dude just shut up about the trans thing. No joke 75% of this new special is him whining about trans people while pretending he "actually" isn't doing that. He just comes off as obsessed at this point.

Yeah it was pretty rough.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
What did the tweet say

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Halloween Kills was alright. It wasn't very well written, but everything besides the plot was pretty good. I heard people trashing it, but we could have gotten off a lot worse.

Great kills with some especially brutal and creative ones, though they do rely on characters acting dumb a lot more than in the previous one. The score is just as great as you would expect it to be. Curtis is sorely underutilized. They had some ambitious ideas even if they didn't quite hit the mark, and I really liked the general setup of the movie where everyone knows Myers is on the loose and a huge mob of people are actively hunting him down as soon as the word goes out.

Oh yeah if you love subplots then you've found your movie, because it feels like this movie has a hundred of them, but I think it enhances the chaotic mood of the movie quite nicely.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was expecting it to be really corny and lame, and it is, but the writing is still very good and the animation rules.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I gotta stop buying into negative hype, Cowboy Bebop is a ton of fun.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It was definitely very YA, but it was really good YA with a super interesting world.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Witcher s2 was loving cool.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hawkeye just wrapped up and it was a ton of fun, probably my favorite marvel disney+ offering so far. They kept the stakes relatively low and tied in a lot of other mcu stuff pretty nicely. I wasn't expecting to like Kate, but wound up loving her by the end, and Jeremy Renner has blessed us with his most tired and grumpy Hawkeye performance yet. The side characters were absolutely incredible. I really liked that they leaned heavily into the trick arrows, after the first Avengers Hawkeye basically just switched to explosive arrows which was boring as hell. Very enjoyable all around.

Getting back on topic, has anyone seen the new Cowboy Bebop adaptation? I'd love to hear your detailed thoughts on it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Don't look up is about as subtle as a sack of bricks beating you over the head, but it was pretty fun.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Encanto ruled, I've had We Don't Talk About Bruno stuck in my head ever since I watched it. Lovely setting, lovely characters, small stakes on a very personal level.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Archive 81 seems cool as poo poo, can't wait to binge it tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Mission Impossible 3 might be one of my favorite action movies of all time, definitely the best of the bunch, though they're all pretty good.