Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It might be those things, but it also might be that more Arrested Development just isn't very high on their list of poo poo to promote.

Like, they already did the "Arrested Development is back." Now all there is is "Arrested Development is still here." I seem to recall the "is back" part not even going over very well with critics or fans anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The Boy Band Con is the second YouTube original thing I've seen, and it's a pretty good doc.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm still not 100% on what happened there.

What about Shane Black's films lead people to believe that he could make a good sci-fi action movie?

It's like, yeah, he directed one Marvel movie, pretty much completely keyed to their house style, and besides that two cult neo-noir films. Meanwhile, with the actual trailers themselves, somehow he managed to have Larry Fong on board and have it come out looking like this:

It's like, if you want someone to do a Predator movie, you got John Liebesman... or fuckin' Guy Ritchie even. You put that Platinum Dunes protege skill on the case. Fuckin' Peter Berg could make an excellent Predator movie.

But, no, get the dialog man. Worked brilliantly with Joss Whedon.

edit:

like, it looks like Scrubs

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 7, 2019

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The Wandering Earth rules

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Philthy posted:

This is quite a statement. If it's even half as good, it'll be worth watching.

Tim Roth does own, though.

Made in Britain rules

Coaaab posted:

Alan Clarke is one of the most criminally underrated directors in film history

It's astounding that he made two versions of Scum that are both really good despite having virtually everything in common.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

precision posted:

I recall for a very long time he insisted he was making a sequel. I guess that's what it ended up being?

Repo Man is an art house movie, so it probably is as close to a direct sequel as the insane mind behind Repo Man was ever gonna be content doing

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Crosspost: Gonna take a moment to once again stump for bynwr.com as a fantastic resource. I saw Spring Night, Summer Night yesterday and holy poo poo it’s so loving good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Just saw the documentary Tell Me Who I Am on Netflix, good poo poo. Trigger warning: child molestation/sexual assault content.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
How's the beefcake, though?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Midsommar is much more overtly a black comedy, and what it has over Hereditary is an overarching theme that doesn’t collapse under a weight obscurantism.

Like, with Hereditary you still have this debate over whether the film is really using a completely obtuse conspiracy is a facile metaphor for a legacy of trauma from abuse, or is actually just about a conspiracy.

Midsommar is much more appreciably straightforward that, yes, it is just a conspiracy, there is no metaphor, and the experience of Pugh’s character is simply allegorical of the pursuit of finding an actual community that deeply embraces all its members, as opposed to the profound alienation of modern society.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I want to stress that, while I'm sure the "gore cut" of the movie is great, the censored version is itself nothing to shake a stick at. A true masterpiece of outsider filmmaking.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

wormil posted:

You would think Godzilla would be an easy movie to make -- giant lizard appears, military expends a few billion yen in ammo to no effect, buildings are smashed, giant villain appears, monster fight, some Japanese kid roots for big G. Godzilla loses, makes a Rocky comeback, wins and goes back into the ocean. Lots of popcorn is consumed. But apparently that is way too difficult.

I mean, on the first part, they did do that, right down to the letter, and it still sucked.

On the second part, the popcorn part, nobody gives a poo poo about Godzilla. I even found myself thinking the movie might be a surprise or sleeper hit way back, but then I saw the movie and the numbers came in and of course I had to be like, "K., what the gently caress were you thinking? You broke your own law of crowd prediction!"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Inspector Hound posted:

Oh, excellent. That's not Reefer Madness (or, Tell Your Children!) but one of the other myriad of films released at the time to titillate people while "educating" (scaring) them about the newest drug menace. We'd never do that now (cue compilation of cocaine, meth, and heroin horror films released in the last fifty years)

E lmao

Wait a minute...

Hiccup is also a magic dragon who lives by the sea! And frolics in the autumn mist!

drat you Hollywood poisoning our kids with your subliminal gay hippie satan worship!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Simplex posted:

KOTM is very faithful to the older Godzilla movies, which in my opinion is the worst part about it.

Not that "old," though. The Showa films would never feature something as hyper-specific as an eco-accelerationist extremist group as the primary antagonist. That's an early-Heisei thing, and even there, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is way better.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
In the Tall Grass is some primo trash from the creator of Cube and Splice. On Netflix, would rec.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

precision posted:

This owned hard and is probably the best King adaptation in recent memory

It is seriously the most direct and honest king adaptation since Maximum Overdrive. Just sexual psychosis and classic rock.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Watch The Body Rememberers When the World Broke Open on Netflix.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Also very good on Netflix is Atlantics, a French/Senegalese film by Mati Diop. Go in blind.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
There's an Indian Tamil-language hyperlink movie called Super Deluxe on Netflix right now that absolutely everybody needs to see, because it's low key a late entry into the best films of 2019 category.

Now, I know a lot of y'all might be thinking, "Man, I hate hyperlink cinema" -- I want you to imagine a hyperlink movie where the inevitable magical realist climax simultaneously maintains the same veneer of transcendental humanism, but is at the same time completely tongue-in-cheek and straightforward about it. Think Magnolia, but by way of Guy Ritchie and Pier Paolo Pasolini.

Trailer doesn't really do it justice, but I'm mostly posting to convey the other plus of this movie -- just an absolutely flawless cinematography and production design all around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Xq_Zz3nPA

Seriously, don't sleep on this.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Directed by Kenneth Branagh

Imagine going back in time and trying to explain to film critics in the 90s where his career went

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Disney adapting Artemis Fowl is a project only barely less doomed than adapting The Golden Compass.

Fortunately, HBO is handling the latter, and it honestly looks pretty decent, albeit in a "We ran out of GoT so we're doing this" kind of way.