Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The mix of styles in LD&R was super fun. And some of the effects were just insanely good.

It's evident that a lot of talent and effort went into making these shorts visual spectacles. But in the end the elaborate aesthetics just highlight the across the board frankly terrible writing (alright — there are are couple of exceptions).

Nearly all of the shorts suffer heavily from being boys' club productions. Someone said a few posts ago that LD&R was overly heteronormative — that's for loving sure. The gender roles are stale as gently caress, and the (narratively-speaking pointless) sexualisation of and eroticized violence against women is kicked into overdrive. It's trite and it's boring.

Nothing new under the sun, etc. But it does disappoint a bit extra this time, because I read into the trailer and hype a punkish attitude. But there's nothing new or challenging in LD&R. Watch it if you're into animation (or game cutscenes — why the gently caress do people like Suits so much?).

The exceptions:
Helping Hand
Fish Night
Zima Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I see I missed the Hulu talk, but give The Booth at the End a shot if it's still up there.

Edit: And Trainspotting 2 is legit great and made me cry.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 9, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I don't have Cinemax, but both the Knick and Quarry were produced by them so they should be on there.

Excellent shows, though it's only fair to warn you that Quarry was cancelled after one season and it's gonna leave you wanting more.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It was only okay, I thought. A few moments of standout performances in what was mostly average to poor acting. The score was frustratingly mediocre. A movie that was surprisingly devoid of tension, given the concept.

Edit: not trying to poo poo on anyone's experience, just can't wrap my head around it being a "must see".

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I haven't seen the show, but I read somewhere that the female lead is an outcast and the male lead is a popular jock or something? Do you find it unbelievable that someone (you find) attractive could also be on a low rung of the social ladder?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The clock scene is legit one of my favourite moments in TV.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I feel that Hill was more uneven, but the peaks were way higher than Bly's — and personally I related more to the broken family in the former than the caricatures in the latter. Still enjoyed both seasons.

Edit: and I firmly believe that Oliver Jackson-Cohen must be an illegitimate child of Mark Strong.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 12, 2020

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I Think You Should Leave makes up for all the lovely specials on Netflix.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The trailer left me cold, but we gave it a shot anyway — and Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar was a delight. I'm very happy that the trailer didn't spoil what an unexpectedly weird, dark, loving and very stupid movie it was going to be.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 27, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I saw the trailer and was intrigued, but I sort of assumed it wouldn't be able to deliver on the concept.

What do you like about it?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

big cummers ONLY posted:

My girlfriend and I have a lot of blind spots with horror films. Haven't seen a lot of John Carpenter classics, 80s slasher movies, etc. We love the genre especially when there is a good oppressive tension like in The VVitch, Hereditary, and It Follows. We'd love some recommendations of what you would consider "must-see" horror (or even just horror-adjacent) movies currently streaming.

We have Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Paramount, Peacock, Amazon. I've never typed them all out and now I'm angry

Dunno where/if it's streaming, but The Devil's Candy is real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I really, really liked BNCF. I found it to be a nicely self-contained cozy-horror story that doesn't reveal too much. It does its own thing at its own slightly off pace, and looks and sounds great while doing so.

The characters aren't sympathetic but definitely engaging. I loved watching them gently caress themselves over by their greed and spite.

The actors are amazing. Rosa Salazar is so goddamn good.

And that sex scene lol