Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junkie Disease posted:

Every drat character is some sort of chosen one or everyone around them is the chosen one or extra unique its like a ship full of Wesley Crushers.

that was TNG too, tbf.

like, as far as normal people on the TNG Enterprise, you had... O'Brien, Beverly and arguably Riker, and that's literally it. other than that, you have the one bald man in space, a Klingon, an android, a telepath, a child prodigy, and a horny blind guy with experimental engineering-goggles.

e: Riker only counts as "normal" if you don't take his affinity for ramming his penis into anything non-human as a quirk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junkie Disease posted:

Not to the degree of Discovery, cept for...horny? I mean he could see through clothes his life was hell

Dude literally made a VR fuckmaid out of some random person he got a crush on

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

Be warned, a couple of the most recent seasons of TPB were really bad. Strangely enough there was a great season after a bad one though.

was there another one after the Snoop Dogg one that had a ton of rape jokes and turned Don/na from a weirdly decent portrayal of a nonbinary person into an almost comically hateful trans stereotype?

because that one made me go "gently caress this"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah that tracks. it felt like that was the last season where the show's soul was still there at all; it's legit important for TPB working that the vast majority of the cast (excepting, like, Cyrus) are decent people. otherwise, the show just feels really mean-spirited and depressing and unfunny.

e: like, I don't even mind how cartoonish the show got. I think the cartoonish stuff is loving hilarious for the most part. it's the show getting really loving mean out of nowhere that lost me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Did you not see the trailer or read the premise?

I can't imagine what a hard sci-fi blockbuster would even look like, they're totally incongruous in my mind.

Gravity?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nihonniboku posted:

Have you never seen BoJack Horseman? It's a spinoff of that.

...no it isn't? It's got the same art director, Raphael Bob-Waksberg is an EP and helped write the pilot, and it's got animal people, but it's not in the same setting as BoJack and that's pretty clear from the very beginning

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Tuca & Bertie loving owns and that's coming from someone who was fairly skeptical going in.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skratchez posted:

I won't re-watch Requiem, Natural Born Killers or Dancer in the Dark. But y'all should :corsair:

...NBK seems like an odd fit with those two. You should rewatch it, it's a lot more manic and ridiculous than you probably remember it being.

Soundtrack rules, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that's fair actually

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphex- posted:

IASIP is the only show I can think of where the flanderisation of characters has been actually good.

because usually, flanderization takes one iconic trait and emphasizes it at the expense of all others, whereas IASIP has just filtered every character's traits down to the ones that are good joke material and exaggerated those

like, every character is still fairly complex, they're just also more idiosyncratic and cartoonish. hell, most of the depth Mac or Charlie have gotten has happened pretty recently.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Frog Act posted:

So I remembered liking the first season of workaholics and saw it was on prime, thought I’d see how the rest of it holds up. It really seems to be getting worse every season, I’m on season 4 and it’s been pretty bad for awhile. Does it ever fix itself? I actually did like the first season as generic stoner humor

It sorta depends on why you're falling off of it.

If it's the characters getting kind of flanderized, no, that never gets better. If it's the gross-out humor and gore, that peaks at either the season you're on or the next one, and then pulls back; when you hit the "burweedos" episode you're at the peak.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why don't the tallest just kill Zim instead of exiling him?

because it's funnier that way

e: also because Zim is such an idiot he'd probably gently caress up getting executed, and getting him generally out of their hair was the goal more than making him not exist

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's been a while but I don't really remember the chud stuff in WWZ being defended that hard. Like, I remember the tone of the apartheid stuff treating it as basically a stopped-clock moment for an ideology that's otherwise 100% evil and untenable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I liked that last Muppets show :saddowns: I honestly thought the "modern living" jokes and plots were pretty well-integrated and I laughed my rear end off at a lot of them

Post-retool it sucked balls though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo what there's a new Vincenzo Natali movie? :stare:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like Iger is more the problem here than Lucas. He's not really a dude who strikes me as feeling any responsibility towards film as an art form, and seems actively disdainful of the idea that films should have a life beyond immediately making money for the studio.

While you could argue that this is merely a feature of capitalism, and you would be correct, it's rare to see this actively leaned into to the extent that Iger does.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

From what I heard, Doom Annihilation is basically an ash can movie.

It has the budget of one, but a thousand times the gumption. It's really not a bad watch if you're okay with it looking like a SyFy movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Human Tornada posted:

Christ, is this what it's come to? The action in this action movie was terrible, but if it gets a bigger budget sequel it might actually rise to the level of "functional". Check it out!

the bar is sort of inherently lower for DTV movies made on a budget of pocket change and lint, and I for one find technical flaws in them more forgivable (and technical mastery in them more impressive).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

Doom could make such a good movie in the right hands. It's a shame every effort has been low budget sci fi channel shlock that just uses Doom as a loose theme. Just use the themes and aesthetic from Doom 2016 and make it with the irreverence of like Robocop, Dredd 2012...Just do the setup with corporate greed unleashing hell and then 90 minutes of the Doomslayer just ripping and tearing.

And Doomguy is played the guy who was the Mountain in GOT of course.

this is more or less what Annihilation tried to do, though? it just visibly didn't have the budget to nail it (and deliberately avoided the Doom Slayer living-room-elephant, presumably for that reason)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

What movies would you compare the Castlevania show to?

It's sort of like if Hammer Dracula, Flesh + Blood and Ninja Scroll got thrown in a blender.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
tbh I dropped Kingdom pretty early simply because there was literally one character, the Crown Prince, who wasn't a complete insufferable rear end in a top hat and he basically existed to constantly get dunked on by the universe for not being an rear end in a top hat

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tim Whatley posted:

Fairly decent but quite a silly plot similar to Red Dawn is Bushwick which I think is on Netflix. It's a one shot film starring Dave Batista trying to escape New York after Texas secedes from the government and gets a bunch of southern states to join in and invade the North.

You also get to see the annoying weed dealer from Broad City get blown the gently caress up by an IED in like the first five minutes, so, worth a look.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like Kardashian mania kinda died because of Kanye. There's basically no possible read on that situation that makes them look good, and a lot of the less charitable ones make them look like actual monsters.

Tiger King, I can get behind a little more easily, because nobody sane is coming out of that thinking Joe Exotic is actually a good person; he's just a bad person in very entertaining ways, contrasted with other people who are a more bland form of lovely human. He's like a real-life Always Sunny character, and achieves a similar "I do not want this man to succeed, but by god watching him try and fail is hilarious" vibe.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 4, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's the best digital storefront to buy DragonBall Z from? I can't decide between Amazon, Vudu, or YouTube. I know it's streaming on Funimation but I'm thinking it's the kind of thing I'd rather just pay for outright since I'll be rewatching it every few years for the rest of my life.

None of the above. The only decent options are on physical media, and the only complete decent option is the Dragon Box DVD set, which is way out of print and costs :retrogames:.

If it is available digitally, expect it to either be the janky cropped-and-blurred "orange box" transfer, or the even jankier "remaster" they did recently.

DBZ is one of those cases like the original cuts of Star Wars where it seems unlikely there'll be a decent non-:filez: way to watch it in the near future.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

I can't think of a single movie in the 90s with scene as transphobic as Ace Ventura's ending. You really forget how misanthropic he is and every character becomes a punching bag around him or wants to jump his dick it's wild. It makes me wonder if it was originally going to be an R rated film and now I want to rewatch Me, Myself, and Irene because I vaguely remember that being like a hard R dark comedy.

the Ace Ventura ending honestly clicked a lot better for me when I realized it's almost definitely meant as a direct reference/reaction to The Crying Game, a dead loving serious movie from a couple years prior that more or less has the same twist, just played in a less exaggerated way. it looks insanely bad now that The Crying Game has been more or less forgotten by everyone, but in context i think the "jesus christ this is hateful" reaction it typically gets is a 100% deliberate one that's supposed to make you go "hey, wait, but I just saw and loved The Crying Game and that had the same thing happen... WAIT, OH GOD."

i don't think this makes it good; it's still aged like absolute milk either way because nobody under the age of 40 remembers The Crying Game or cares about it in 2020 whereas tons of people grew up with Ace Ventura, and in a vacuum, the scene is God-awful. but there's at least something clever going on there beyond "man, gently caress trans people, am I right?"

e: and apparently according to Carrey himself, you're absolutely not supposed to sympathize with Ace in the scene and it's trying to mock how ridiculous homophobes/transphobes are about this sort of thing, but that sort of feels like an ex-post-facto justification whereas the Crying Game thing actually pretty much 100% tracks.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 9, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

I've read that, but having just watched it I don't buy it one bit. The butt of the joke is very clearly "chix with dicks grooooosssss" not "ace is transphobic" in fact the entire cast reacts exactly like he does, and the movie expects the audience to do the same. And the whole end scene is set up to make Einhorn/Finkle look stupid, not Ace.

He would have come off a lot better just saying "it was the 90's and that was acceptable humor back then. It was a bad idea. whoops sorry" instead of some over explanation about how the movie was poking fun at homophobes, which is total bullshit.

well, he kind of splits the difference between those two things, he's like "yeah we didn't intend for it to be completely hateful but good lord we went too far with it" basically

e: also, that's a really loving charitable evaluation of The Crying Game. i haven't seen it in a while, but i don't remember it being particularly good on that front even if the message in the very end is fine. it came off as a movie that was exploiting trans identity than one that was attempting to make a coherent, worthwhile statement about it to me.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 10, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Class Warcraft posted:

What did they censor out in the US version?

assuming it's the History Channel show being talked about, there's extended versions of basically every single episode on the blu-rays, and they reveal that History Channel made a lot of violence and nudity edits to the show (as well as cutting a lot for time). I don't know if the extended versions are what airs outside the US but I wouldn't be surprised.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I wanted to watch this movie so bad in my early 20's and couldn't ever find it anywhere in any form. I specifically remember it being unpossible to get with disc Netflix, though they claimed they had it. At this point it's been so long that I can't even remember why I wanted to watch it, just that I very much did.

It's a fun movie, and worth it just for Lemmy of the House of Motorhead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...wait, oh my god, do they straight-up call Butler "Domovoi" in the Artemis Fowl movie? I noticed the subtitles refer to him as that and holy loving poo poo that's a big spoiler for the books

to clarify: for the first book and, afaik, the second, his actual identity beyond being "the butler, who is named Butler" is one hundred percent a mystery (and deliberately so). his actual name is a secret that he's supposed to keep very, very close to his chest, and he only tells Artemis when he's pretty sure he's about to die.

also, it doesn't even make any sense to keep the name, because it ties into Butler's Roma heritage being a thing in the books, and... at the risk of showing my rear end, are black Roma a thing? because i don't think they are and google is being unhelpful.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 14, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Hound posted:

If the subtitles alone were what have him away, and not a line of dialogue or his name being revealed in the end credits, that really is bizarre

I haven't actually seen the movie for myself because I don't have Disney+ and I'm too lazy/depressed to seek it out through other means, I just clocked it very quickly in that clip someone posted (which has the subs on) and went :wtc:

At an absolute bare minimum you're not supposed to know his name at that point, though if memory serves the movie might cover up to the point where it actually comes out in the books (I think it happens towards the end of book 2?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've been talking about the movie on facebook, and ended up coming to the conclusion that the way they looked at the IP was one hundred percent the gently caress wrong and almost hilariously misguided.

Apparently, according to Colfer, studio execs could not see it as anything other than "edgy Harry Potter," and that's a lot of why it spent so much time in development hell (and probably a large portion of why the movie sucks out loud). The problem with this is, Artemis Fowl and Harry Potter have pretty much jack and poo poo in common; they're both fantasy works about bespectacled kids, but that's more or less where the similarities end. Harry Potter is a satire of British boarding schools through the lens of wizards, that eventually ends up becoming a very clumsy "epic" by the end; Artemis Fowl, meanwhile, is an action series about a complete shithead genius bumbling into the supernatural, biting off more than he can chew, and eventually taking them on as allies to fight even worse people than he is. Hell, the first book's structure is actually pretty reminiscent of Michael Mann's movies to me: a whole lot of planning, investigation, and more planning, that eventually detonates into a complete clusterfuck of action by the end.

If they'd just dropped the idea of it being a kids IP entirely, made it as a regular-rear end PG-13 blockbuster when the books were relevant, and focused hard on the "basically Shadowrun but not quite as dark" elements while Matrix mania was a thing, the movie would have probably loving owned and the movie series would have potentially outlived the books a la Bond.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Now imagine if Disney got the rights to Harry Potter like they wanted to.

:shrug: the first two books were basically done the way Disney would've done them, and the resulting movies are totally fine. they probably would have handled it better than Artemis Fowl, simply because HP isn't really as... demographically weird as AF.

like, AF is a rare case where, despite the book being nominally for kids and being pitched to second-graders at Scholastic Book Fairs, you'd have way, way better success just targeting teens and adults from the jump, simply because "generic kids movie" doesn't fit the style or tone of the series at all. that doesn't... happen incredibly often with books for children.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

chitoryu12 posted:

Basically take everything in the book and make it the opposite, and that’s how they did the movie.

Worse, there’s evidence that they actually started with a relatively faithful adaptation and then suddenly decided to completely redo the plot and scrap everything, then change poo poo even more in editing. The new plot has Mulch narrating the entire movie because it would otherwise be incomprehensible.

:cripes:

as I've said, those books aren't high literature, but good lord they deserve better than this. they could have made really fun movies if done properly.

e: it just occurred to me that MPAA trouble might have actually been one of the things here, because "making it a 2020 PG" and "making it a faithful adaptation" are more or less mutually exclusive when discussing a story where, as a major plot point, the antagonists intend to murder the protagonist with biological weapons out of vengeance for robbing them.

e2: also, seriously, why the gently caress is Josh Gad Mulch of all characters? I would have honestly switched his actor and Foaly's, especially since having an Indian guy play the IT nerd is a little bit unfortunate.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 14, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fartington Butts posted:

Splice popped up on Netflix recently. I watched it. Here's my review: Never ever ever loving watch Splice. Jesus christ it's an hour of NOTHING HAPPENING and then it's like 40 minutes where the most horrendous things, including rape and DeviantArt level sex, happen.

...eh? I liked Splice. it's a fun mad-science procedural that just goes absolutely loving buckwild in the last act, and while it does get very weird and gross, "weird and gross" is also exactly what it's going for so that's hard to hold against it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

married but discreet posted:

The problem is that the rap really sucks rear end, and it's pretty gross in an anime sort of way too.

does it have... a certain scene from the Tokyo Tribe anime OVA, where (don't click this spoiler if you have a weak stomach) a gigantic fat yakuza boss rapes a man to death while screaming "GOOSH GOOSH, GOOSH GOOSH" and causing him to bleed Shining-elevator amounts out of his rear end in a top hat

that used to be a semi-popular shock video/gross meme and it's the only thing i know about Tokyo Tribe as a franchise

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, you'd... you'd remember if that scene was in there, because it's loving horrifying in the anime version (and just kind of conceptually one of the most horrific things I've ever seen)

e: at a glance, the guy who does it is still the main villain in the movie and he still does a lot of similarly horrifying poo poo, just... exclusively to women and not to death by being split in half anus-first. so, uh, an improvement, i guess? kinda?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 1, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I suspect the swearing/gore in the first episode isn't a consequence of the mild retool it went through, so much as it's a consequence of the rest of DC's animated stuff either being kid-friendly or very visibly signposting that it's not.

Harley Quinn can't give itself an R rating, being a streaming show, so instead they just crammed a bunch of gore and swearing in the first episode to yell out "HEY THIS IS NOT FOR KIDS, DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS WATCH THIS."

e: I say this because, while the tone and style of the show definitely take a hard left turn after the first episode, it still stays pretty gory and sweary throughout; the first episode isn't really unrepresentative on that front, so much as it frontloads a whole lot of it at once and has a generally more action-y tone that the rest of the show doesn't run with.

Overall, it's basically a Venture Bros ripoff... but gently caress it, I'll take something that's basically Venture Brothers and gets new seasons semi-regularly instead of "a new season every time Halley's Comet passes the earth"

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 13, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's very strange to me that you reach for "Live Free or Die Hard" out of all the action movies out there.

i don't think it was reached for as the best so much as an example of an ISO-standard Generic Action Movie

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's no max length, they just make anything over like 30sec skippable. Which, naturally, people abuse the poo poo out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
re: Aggretsuko, I feel like everyone kind of forgets it's a Sanrio show.

like, there's a lot of room to rock the boat in the show's premise, but Sanrio is not generally a boat-rocking company. if anything, it's sort of a shock that they took this long to fully settle on "she wants to be a tradwife and loves her wage slave job" instead of that basically being the premise from moment one.