Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Class Action Park on HBO Max is the glorious disaster documentary I needed in the hellyear that is 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Rediscovered Friday Night Tykes on Netflix after a couple years. Spoiler: They're still concussing and mentally abusing children in the name of sportsball.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

It's fine but it definitely doesn't need to be 9 hours long; it's a lot of the "escapees" puttering around making phone calls. Cult poo poo fascinates me so I watch it but it could easily have been a two-hour documentary.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

But why though

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1317151768048971778?s=20

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

I don't need another streaming service, I don't need another streaming service...

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1321200516114878464?s=20

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

on the one hand, "Scully plays Margaret Thatcher as Gandalf" sounds like the greatest thing ever

on the other hand, I hate Margaret Thatcher

I saw it described as GA playing her like a serial killer and I feel like that's accurate (we're through episode 6).

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Hubbardologist posted:

So I've caught bits of it before, but is the appeal of the Crown just a full on hate-watch, or am I just too Online to get it? Like, gently caress all these people, doubly so for actually existing in reality.

I mean, if you wouldn't be satisfied with her being depicted as anything other than a cackling witch shrieking the N word, then yeah, you'll probably be disappointed. But it's not terribly flattering to the royal family either. It shows QEII having her positive aspects (a good sense of humor, a decent politician who can view situations relatively clear-eyed), but plenty of negatives as well (clannish, overly concerned with social correctness, lacking much maternal feeling for her kids, unable to feel/show a lot of emotion and a human side as a leader).

Margaret's a decent example of this. She's self-important, spoiled, and rude to all but a select few, but this season especially, she's become kind of a moral center of the show, railing against the royal family's decisions to encourage the marriage of Charles and Diana and hide away their mentally disabled relatives. Phillip is often portrayed as a moderating and even progressive influence in the palace, but had some ego issues early on that led him to be a pretty lovely husband and father, which in turn has knock-on effects later, especially with Charles, who becomes a poo poo in his own unique way.

It's an interesting look at the way family issues pass through and screw up new generations, just played out on a public, international stage.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Famethrowa posted:

To stay on topic uhh...I really really need to watch the Rimini documentary on Netflix.

It's pretty good...as a celeb, she has access to a lot of the (former) higher-ups. Just as a heads up, it's more of a series format. It ran ~3 seasons on A&E, and each episode tends to focus on another person's story, so they're fairly disjointed from one another; it's doesn't necessarily have the holistic "feel" of a traditional documentary with an overarching story (aside from, of course, "Scientology is an enormous cultscam").

JaneError fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 20, 2020

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Fartington Butts posted:

Happiest Christmas on Hulu is not a great movie, but it's good if you just want a nice happy story. Four farts outta five.

It was cute but I thought Kristen Stewart's character should have dumped the girlfriend and hooked up with Audrey Plaza.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Speaking of CYE, there's a documentary on Netflix called Long Shot, about a guy accused of murder who was exonerated by raw footage from the show, which was shooting on location at the Dodgers game he was at.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

This is a weird moment in history to start HBO's Rome for the first time.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Anyone watched The Lady and The Dale on HBO Max? The first two episodes dropped last night and I'm hoping to watch them sometime in the next couple days. I saw the Elizabeth Carmichael case on Unsolved Mysteries decades ago and even as a middle schooler I thought it was bonkers, so I'm excited to see it get a fuller treatment.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Following yesterday's Vanity Fair article, a documentary series on the Hillsong church/grift machine scandal has been announced. I'm extremely here for it.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Watching the Cecil Hotel doc now, am currently on Episode 3. While I appreciate that it'll ultimately be an indictment of the internet misinformation machine, I don't love that they're given at least two episodes' worth of face time to spout their nutty conspiracy theories without challenge. It's sort of a real-life Search Party.

SYNCHRONICITIES

JaneError fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 13, 2021

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Nihonniboku posted:

Jessica Walter has passed away at 80 in her sleep. She played Lucille Bluth on Arrested Development, and Mallory Archer on Archer. She was a legend.

I don't understand the reference, and I won't respond to it.

:cry:

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Just point me to all the old raw footage with some on screen text info dumps and I'd be happier than this poo poo.

Martin’s Vids on YT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

If you want some bonkers seasonal viewing, ’Twas the Fight Before Christmas on Apple TV is it.