Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

frogbs posted:

Saw that "The Master" was on Netflix and gave it a watch. Does anyone know if most of the movie is improvised? I feel like pretty much any scene where Joaquin Phoenix is talking to someone was just made up on the spot. Maybe that's the point, (like Philip Seymour Hoffman's character is just making everything up), but it made for a movie that just felt like it didn't have a strong point.

That's possible but I feel like the movie was really trying to drive home how unlikable and maladjusted Joaquins character was and how unable he was to connect with anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
S2 was my favorite
S1 I loved and I enjoyed S3 but 3 felt like the formula was getting stale and I'm glad they stopped the show if it was going to continue like 3 did

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Tainen posted:

Season 4 starts in 2 weeks...

I had no idea
It's been awhile so hopefully they took some time off and recalibrated and this season will be better
I'll definitely watch any new season of Fargo

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really enjoy Curb. It's one of my favorite series. Unfortunately I am uncomfortable how they depict Muslims, even relative to how they portray other minority groups.

Are you talking about Season 9 with the fatwa?

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

KirbyKhan posted:

I just watched The Art of Self Defense and if you were in the mcdojo scene as a child this poo poo feels too real. TOO REAL. Sensei is a crazy man who fits the modern day cobra kai ideology to a T. It's real good and god damned scary in that way. 5/5 recommend. Jessie Eisenberg is every man who gets beat up and the lives out his wish fulfillment as John Wick.

I saw this in theatres and absolutely loved it
Shocking and hilarious, best to go in blind

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Did anyone see the new HBO film Bad Education?
It was a really welldone character piece and Hugh Jackman did a great job in a very atypical role for him

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Sarchasm posted:

The Child's Play reboot is now up on Hulu, and that movie gets a bad rap. It's not as good as the original, but it's funny, it has a couple great kills, and it's got Aubrey Plaza as a hot mom. What more do you animals want?

Everytime I think of the detective stepping in a big pile of blood at a homicide scene and muttering to himself, "I just bought these loving shoes", I laugh to myself.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

I really liked The Beach House on Shudder.

I did too, I definitely winced a few times and I liked the core group with the two couples

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I watched American Animals on HBO and liked the way they spliced together the real-life subjects and their actor counterparts.
It was a solid 'heist gone wrong' movie and the characters all felt like very real pseudo-intellectual college kids you'd meet at any university.
I had no idea there was a Transylvania University inside the US
I watched it because John Waters loved it so much (his top films of 2018 list)

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
The Astronomy Club sketch show on Netflix had some really solid sketches

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I enjoyed it but the FBI and Journalist characters felt so one-note and cartoonishly evil that it took me out of the movie
This is a dumb note but did anyone notice in the scene where the FBI are taking away boxes of evidence from the Jewells' apartment, the same agents just kept going in circles around the breakfast bar??

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I watched Outbreak(1995) on Starz.
it's bizarre how they decided to turn a film about a scientist investigating a flu outbreak into an action film and it hasn't aged well at all.
There were some interesting scenes in retrospect considering the recent pandemic (the movie theatre) but I'd recommend Contagion instead

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

thatfuturekid posted:

Just got done watching Snake Eyes (1998) and now I’m in the mood for more over the top 90s thrillers that are maybe less know.

Watched this recently
Really wonderful send-up of classic film noir & great scenery chewing from Nicolas Cage. I havent seen 8MM but that's next on my list
I'm going to watch the 90s Dracula now and have some key lime wine

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I remember taking my father to see Hitchhikers Guide in theatres when I was in high school & he said he was more blown away seeing that than he was seeing the first Star Wars in the theaters in the 70s

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

meanolmrcloud posted:

Brand new cherry flavor kicks a shitload of rear end. We’re are only up to ep.4 though, and I’m not sure if it can sustain this vibe for the rest of the series. I really dig the channel 0’s take on weird horror I guess.

I loved it a lot, ending was a little abrupt but still a wonderful show

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

big cummers ONLY posted:

My girlfriend and I have a lot of blind spots with horror films. Haven't seen a lot of John Carpenter classics, 80s slasher movies, etc. We love the genre especially when there is a good oppressive tension like in The VVitch, Hereditary, and It Follows. We'd love some recommendations of what you would consider "must-see" horror (or even just horror-adjacent) movies currently streaming.

We have Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Paramount, Peacock, Amazon. I've never typed them all out and now I'm angry

I recommend
No One Gets Out Alive (Netflix)
His House (Netflix)
As Above, So Below (Netflix)

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

big cummers ONLY posted:

I watched Haywire on Cinemax this morning. We only have Cinemax because my gf wanted to watch something else and forgot to cancel the free trial. Haywire loving owns. It sucks that the lead is Dumb Fight Lady but she's servicable in this. The other actors really sell me on the film. Channing Tatum is surprisingly believable as a big dumb paramilitary spy man. The pacing was a little uneven but there were some scenes that built tension really well. The biggest draw IMO is the action. The fights are well-shot and you can follow what's happening easily, and the stunt work is impressive. Just really well-executed choreography with some pretty brutal moves. I don't know why I'd never heard of this movie but as a fan of technically well-executed fights, I'm thinking about grabbing the Bluray.

Anyone got any other hidden gems with good action? In the past ten years, the only action movies I've seen that I liked a lot are: John Wick 1-3, Fury Road, Raid 1 and 2, and Dredd. I also liked Mission Impossible Fallout much more than I expected. I love all those movies and would like some more to add to my shelf.

This scene in particular is EXTREMELY my jam (Tom Cruise, I know I know):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z83IyEgxPrk
I'd recommend The Man From UNCLE that came out 2015 or '16(?)

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

I'm only a bit in, but much like season 1, anytime The Witcher is doing a monster of the week thing I'm glued to it but then the over arching story rears it's head or Yennifer comes on screen and all of a sudden I'm impulsively zoning out. It does the contained stuff pretty well, but the main story...I dunno I just have trouble caring about any of it.

This was how I felt watching X-Files for the first time last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really disliked the ending of the newest season of Curb. Overall the season was weak. Outside of Season 10 the series hasn't been the same quality wise since it began that big hiatus.

Agreed, Season 10 feels like an outlier
There were a few episodes I liked this season but it felt stale and unnecessary as a whole